Code of Conduct

Default Do "must" fragrances smell "musty"?

The term must is used in the world of fragrance. I don't recognize the note. (I'm relatively inexperienced at analyzing fragrances). Out of the world of [fine] fragrance the word "musty" is a pejorative. Do you, the reader, know if must fragrances smell at all musty (as the term musty is used in the non-fragrance world)?

Default Re: Do "must" fragrances smell "musty"?

Are you referring to fragrances like Attick by Pierre Frapin or Creed Angelique Encens? They both have a sort of "musty" note, like old library books or secret rooms. I've never seen "must" listed as a specific note, though. I think it's more of a mood or a personal response; like the way some people think of moth balls when they smell camphor.

Hi!

Musty notes in perfumery are never "prominent" and mainly used in form of aroma chemicals having dry-woody and fungal odours. For example, they can be used to give "naturalness" to green/woody odours, "forest" odours, as it were.
    The adjective "musty" is often mis-used to describe an unpleasant aspect in a perfume although in perfumery "musty" does not have any similar connotation.

V.

"must" is also a term used in the production of wine. *I don't remember exactly what part "grape must" is - whether the juice or fermented remains of the skins. *I could be way off base. *I think I remember reading that Octothorpe, on this site, is into yeast fermentations (I think he's a scientist). *You might try PMing him and see if this is anything used in perfumes. *But it may very well be exactly what Violette says.

I wonder if that's the scent in Frederic Malle Une Rose that reminds me of being in the production part of a winery! When I wear Une Rose I feel like I'm sipping cabernet in Napa Valley. Whatever note it is, I love it!

...just thought of Ginestet Botrytis...there's definitely a "must" note in this sherry-blend. Now I want to know what that note is! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Thanks for the interesting replies. I appreciate it.