Code of Conduct

Default Please help! *Is my nose.....

I need help trying to figure out if my nose is regressing or just evolving? * Yes, I know this is weird, but I'm stumped and could really use some expert advice, or even just personal insight. *

I used to wear primarily woody florals, light chypres and even light orientals most of the year (Ivoire, K de Krizia, Cinnabar, and more), with a couple of lighter florals (like Bill Blass) and a clear lemon verbena scent in the summer. *That was after my younger phase of light and very soft florals, and the inevitable try-out phase of many different scents that were nice, but didn't quite suit me. *But then they started coming out with all of these aquatic fragrances (which I didn't like at all), and lots of sweet scents (also hated), and then the sweet, fruity scents (ditto). *At that point I sort of stopped looking, because I was so discouraged by the trends in the industry.

Then I changed professions and went from an office environment, where everyone wore and enjoyed stronger fragrances, to working outdoors as a herb researcher. *Being outside a lot, I rarely wore scents because they attracted far too many insects, didn't fare too well on very hot, humid days and most importantly, clouded my nose when I worked with and had to accurately smell and identify fragrant herbs. *

Then I had a baby. *Didn't wear too many scents at first because they didn't really fare well with Eau de Spit-up. *And now here I am, with a toddler son, and I'd really like to expand my fragrance wardrobe, so I've been sampling a lot of new fragrances lately (and revisiting old ones), trying to find nice additions to my old wardrobe.

So here's the problem. *While I still enjoy my old, original favorites, they've lately seemed a bit too heavy for me at times. *And I notice that sometimes my husband seems to think they're a bit strong, whereas he used to love them too. *I've looked at some scents that I used to think were horrid, but now that I smell *them again (fruity, sweet or even aquatic), they're still not my favorites, but don't smell as badly as I remembered - tolerable and perhaps even a little pleasant. *I'm also more attracted to herbal scents now, understandable because of my work, and now love lavender, whose scent I used to intensely dislike because it seemed so medicinal. *So now I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my nose...

I thought that sweeter scents were ones that you tended to like when you were younger or perhaps when your nose wasn't quite used to the stronger scents (if you liked the somewhat stronger scents as I do, that is). *So why do I not totally dislike them now? *Could it be that going for so long without wearing as much fragrance as I used to, "reset" my nose and now I'm starting over? *Could any hormonal changes during pregnancy have permanently affected my tastes or scent perceptions? *Am I totally wrong about the way one's nose *develops with experience? *Is it that perhaps I previously found a single note or two objectional in certain past fragrances, notes that I've now grown to like, so that I now am more receptive to these perfumes? *Or has working with fragrant plants now altered my nose in a way that I don't quite grasp, regarding commercial perfumes?

Please let me know what you think; I'd love to understand what could be going on. *Short of sampling again every fragrance I've ever tried (fun, but I just don't have the time for this, as a parent), I don't quite know how to proceed.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Please help...is my nose regressing or evolvin

Yes.

I'm just kidding. I can't say. Tastes do change, however, and you've nominated a number of legitimate reasons why yours would. I'm PMSing this week, and I don't like any of my fragrances. I think I'm even mad at them. Grrrrrrr. >
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I had my daughter in 2003 and stayed away from EVERYTHING scented (perfume/laundry detergent, etc.) for a year and a half. When I returned to the scented world, it was like twilight zone- I liked nothing from my life before Miss Tuftsy (name she's chosen as of late :). I now like ULTRA sweet scents(embaressingly sweet) and chypres- stuff I would have gagged at in 2002. I just assumed the change is natural, and I don't mind... I NEVER EVER understood people who had only 1 or 2 scents their whole life. Admired it, but never understood it.

I'm not an expert, but I think your nose is evolving and tastes change, and I believe it's also related to hormones. When I'm PMS'ing I crave sweet & spicy scents as I crave sweet foods and chocolate. A week or so later that PMS-fragrance will affect me completely differently. I don't have children but I'm similar to you in that I wore very soft feminine florals when I was young, and went through an experimental phase where I wore all kinds of fragrances. I still enjoy sampling different fragrances, but I have become extremely selective about what I actually want to own. I've been attracted to lighter cologne strengths and classics lately, and those are the ones my husband compliments me on, too. I apply sparingly (except for Jean Nate). Some that I used to wear I now find overpowering, and the old florals bore me somewhat, though I still have a fondness for them. Fragrances I used to dislike or have no interest in I now love. And I'm extremely attracted to chypres at the moment. Maybe I should give my nemesis Paloma Picasso another try. I'll probably love it now! You're right, it's weird. It's good, though, right? If I were you I wouldn't worry about it or get too cerebral about it. Just get out there and sniff around and let your nose decide what it likes. Sample everything. Forget your preconceptions. The nose knows! ;-)

Default Re: Please help! *Is my nose.....

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    I'm not an expert, but I think your nose is evolving and tastes change, and I believe it's also related to hormones. When I'm PMS'ing I crave sweet & spicy scents as I crave sweet foods and chocolate. A week or so later that PMS-fragrance will affect me completely differently.

You're right, it's weird. It's good, though, right? If I were you I wouldn't worry about it or get too cerebral about it. Just get out there and sniff around and let your nose decide what it likes. Sample everything. Forget your preconceptions. The nose knows! ;-)

See, now those are all interesting points from everyone; I've never noticed a change in fragrance preferences during Martha Monthly's visits. I wondered about the hormonal aspect, because my aunt recently told me that after she went through menopause a couple of years ago, she started preferring lighter, almost non-existent scents. *This surprised me because she always wore heavier scents. *I'd also read that a person's scent perception lessons with age *(I think starting after age 30?) which is why the elderly tend to wear heavier or stronger or just more perfume. So it seemed bizarre that my aunt now craves very light fragrances.

Sherrie11, much as I might like to, I can't help but totally analyze this - it's just my nature to ask "why?". Even if there's no known answer, I still feel compelled to ask, in case anyone knows, because I find it odd and yet interesting in a weird science fiction kind of way. Guess that's why I'm now a researcher.

So, if anyone has any additional ideas or insights, please keep them coming..... Thanks.

Default Re: Please help!  Is my nose.....

There might be some useful info in this old thread too:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1142228184

Default Re: Please help!  Is my nose.....

You change and grow into different phases of your life. As I have got older (now 38. two kids) I have been less concerned about what other people think and more about what I think. My tastes have also got more subtle and refined as my experiences increase. These days I want my scent to project "this is me" rather than "I want you to like this".

Have your tastes in food, colour for your environment, cars, books, partners, music etc changed? Mine have, and now I assume if my tastes haven't deveolped in an area it's because I haven't put enough attention into it.

"Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: Please help! *Is my nose.....

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyandco
    There might be some useful info in this old thread too:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1142228184
    Tiffany, thank you for the link. *This is really interesting (who knew?!) and I'm still reading this information.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch duckfinder
    You change and grow into different phases of your life. As I have got older (now 38. two kids) I have been less concerned about what other people think and more about what I think. My tastes have also got more subtle and refined as my experiences increase. These days I want my scent to project "this is me" rather than "I want you to like this".

Have your tastes in food, colour for your environment, cars, books, partners, music etc changed? Mine have, and now I assume if my tastes haven't deveolped in an area it's because I haven't put enough attention into it.

Those are really good points, especially your last sentence. *Thanks for the insight. *My tastes have changed in some areas, but stayed resolutely the same in others as I realized that for some things, I like what I like and always have (i.e. Is there seriously any better food in the world than ice cream?).

But I am able to detect and appreciate subtle differences in certain things now (such as some of the more monotone, earthy colors) and now like bitter foods much more than I did years ago. *Perhaps I'm now picking up or appreciating certain notes in the sweeter fragrances that I didn't notice or like previously, that have nothing to do with the sweetness factor at all. *I'm being really discreet about not mentioning specific fragrances, so as to not offend anyone.

But there are two problems concerning this point - mainly, that I still find sweeter or aquatic fragrances much more simplistic than the heavier chypres, florals and orientals I preferred, and secondly *(and this is the really hard one to admit to myself and others here), I think that I may be recognizing a bit of fragrance snobbery in myself, which I'm really ashamed about. * :-[ Most of the sweeter fragrances I disliked so in the past were ones that I felt only a young teenager would like (if they were inexperienced in fragrances), considering all of the really sweet or fruity stuff I wore at that age. *Bonne Bell lipsmackers, anyone? *Love's Baby Soft? *Sort of a reverse ageism.

But also, there were several women that I knew (not very nice people) who adored these sweeter fragrances, and I was just so thrilled that I didn't agree with them about these scents, partly because I didn't like these people very much. *So to now be revisiting these fragrances again is a bit of a rude awakening for me.

But you've given me a lot to think about, so again - thanks!