Code of Conduct

Default A silly question ... Anybody have an answer ...

Ok I realize that this is going to sound beyound crazy but if you look at any Estee Lauder Companies product (Lauder, Aramis, La Mer, etc.) they list several cities and London is always underlined. I found it's an interesting way to spot an EL companies product. Noticed that a few years ago and wondering if anybody know the story behind that.

Default Re: A silly question ... Anybody have an answer ..

Isn't that supposed to indicate the place of packaging or manufacture?
    (Does it state where the product is being manufactured somplace else on the carton?)
    I would hazard the guess that american-made/american-packaged EL products have another city highlighted.

Anyway, what exactly do you mean : "you can spot an EL product " that way?
    I think it would be easier just to Google which companies have been founded/bought by the EL group ( Aramis, Prescreprtives, Clinique, Origins, Bobbi Brown, La mer etc.). That would automatically mean that the product is by EL after all....

Hope I made sense. :

Hi I think EL is a part of a huge group of companies all owned by one and I am not sure which one. Gloss.com is also involved. I just checked my Tom Ford Youth Dew Amber Nude box and see London is underlined.Interesting, maybe you will gee more answers.

My Clinique makeup has London underlined as well, and oddly, so does my BeneFit makeup, which I thought was made in San Francisco. This is interesting for me FragranceBoy.

Hi there,
    I checked several EL products, some were made in Canada, some in the States, yet they all had London underlined.

Quote Originally Posted by FragranceBoy
    Hi there,
    I checked several EL products, some were made in Canada, some in the States, yet they all had London underlined.

*twilight music spinning in my head*

This is eerie!

Seriously, this is interesting, wonder why. :-?

When they had Tuscany per Donna, Firenze was underlined on the packaging. Yet Estee Lauder never had a manufacture there.
    The New West boxes featured only South West cities like L.A., Tuscon, Santa Fe...

Quote Originally Posted by perfumegirl
    Hi I think EL is a part of a huge group of companies all owned by one and I am not sure which one. Gloss.com is also involved. I just checked my Tom Ford Youth Dew Amber Nude box and see London is underlined.Interesting, maybe you will gee more answers.
    Estee Lauder is the main company and is privately held by the Lauder family. They created and own Clinique, Prescriptives, Origins and now own Bobbi Brown, La Mer, and a few others I think.

not really related to the original post but i'll post this just for general info:

L'Oreal Group owns the fragrances of:
    Lancome, Giorgio Armani, Cacharel, Ralph Lauren, Paloma Picasso, Guy Laroche.

Procter & Gamble owns the fragrances of:
    Helmut Lang, Giorgio Beverly Hills, Hugo Boss, Jean Patou Paris, Lacoste, Yohji Yamamoto, Valentiono.

Unilever PLC owns the fragrances of:
    Calvin Klein, Cerruti, Lagerfeld, Chloe, Nautica, Max Azaria, BCBG, Vera Wang.

Shiseido Co. LTD. owns the fragrances of:
    Issey Miyake, Jean Paul Gaultier, Narciso Rodriguez, Serge Lutens.

The Estee Lauder Companies Inc. owns the fragrances of:
    Stila, Origins, Aramis, Jo Malone, Tommy Hilfiger, Donna Karan, Kate Spade, Michael Kors.

LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton owns the fragrances of:
    Christian Dior, Guerlain, Givenchy, Kenzo, Bliss, Fresh, Acqua di Parma.

Lancaster Group owns the fragrances of:
    Adidas, Celine Dion, Stetson, Jovan, Isabella Rossellini, Davidoff, Jennifer Lopez, Jil Sander, Marc Jacobs, Kenneth Cole, Joop!, Vivienne Westwood.

Puig Group owns the fragrances of:
    Carolina Herrera, Paco Rabanne, Hussein Chalayan, Nina Ricci, Comme des Garcons, Prada.

Inter Parfums Inc. owns the fragrances of:
    Burberry, S.T. Dupont, Paul Smith, Christian Lacroix, Celine, Fubu, Diane Von Furstenberg.

the list seems endless!
    :P

Just a correction, Unilever sold all their fragrance lines (CK, Vera, Nautica, etc.) to Coty.

Anyways back to Estee Lauder brands, still doesn't answer the underlined question though. I looked on a Sean Jean, DKNY, Clinque product all have London underlined.

I use Clinique (owned by EL) makeup, just looked on the back of the box, says it's distributed in NY and London is underlined. On the of the box of EL Youth Dew bath oil several cities are listed - New York, London, Paris and Milano. London is underlined. Also says "made in U.K." I guess that's means the city where it's manufactured is underlined? Other cities listed are where it is sold/distributed?

It's just a conspiracy to keep everyone confused as hell.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

LOL Ok a reward has to go out to whomever can crack this code ... it definately is not because of city of manufacture.

I looked at all my makeup. Even brands that aren't from the Estee Lauder companies have London underlined! I am really curious about this...

LOL Ok a reward has to go out to whomever can crack this code ... it definately is not because of city of manufacture.

Okay, since I live close enough to the Estee Lauder headquarters in New York, I placed a quick telephone call to them this morning and was able to get the answer. It's actually really interesting and I never would have thought of it:

The reason that London is underlined on the fragrance and make-up packing is because (DRUMROLL, please).....that is where the prescriptions for all of their formulations are held. I don't know if they have a business office there, or a laboratory, or maybe many cosmetic companies have their secret formulas held there at some security company. But that's the reason why, straight from the company itself.

Now, do I really get a reward? Like everyone has to send me a free sample of their favorite fragrance?! This is so exciting! Okay, I'm just kidding. It was really bugging me that we couldn't figure it out and I do love a good mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    [quote author=FragranceBoy link=1147303212/0#12 date=1147657790]LOL Ok a reward has to go out to whomever can crack this code ... it definately is not because of city of manufacture.

Okay, since I live close enough to the Estee Lauder headquarters in New York, I placed a quick telephone call to them this morning and was able to get the answer. *It's actually really interesting and I never would have thought of it:

The reason that London is underlined on the fragrance and make-up packing is because (DRUMROLL, please).....that is where the prescriptions for all of their formulations are held. *I don't know if they have a business office there, or a laboratory, or maybe many cosmetic companies have their secret formulas held there at some security company. *But that's the reason why, straight from the company itself.

Now, do I really get a reward? *Like everyone has to send me a free sample of their favorite fragrance?! *This is so exciting! *Okay, I'm just kidding. *It was really bugging me that we couldn't figure it out and I do love a good mystery.
    [/quote]

Herb Lady - You are my hero!!!! London must be the place for prescriptions in many companies. This is really interesting.

Herb Lady I bow to you 8-)

Were they surprised to be asked that question?

Thank you Herb Lady for solving the mystery!! It was indeed weird and difficult to crack.

If you do want a sample let me know

Thanks Herb Lady. :-) It's still kinda strange, though. Especially as Tovah's non-EL cosmetics also have London underlined. I wonder if it's an industry-wide practice, using this mysterious London-based security firm.

Herb Lady I bow to you *8-)

Were they surprised to be asked that question?
    Actually, the customer service representative was very nice and immediately answered, as if they either get this question all the time, or she didn't think it was a big deal. *For some reason, however, when she mentioned that part about the prescriptions and I repeated it back to her to make sure I understood what she meant (about the formulas for their products), I was the one to be slightly flustered because I had been merely curious and didn't want her to think I was an industry spy, looking to pull an Oceans Eleven type of heist on whatever London location is in question.

And so to appease my ridiculous guilt, I promptly pulled out my copy of Estee Lauder's autobiography, which she had signed for me years ago at a store appearance (a very nice, astute woman who actually looked at you while talking to you) and re-read half of it in one sitting last night. * For anyone working in the cosmetics or fragrance industry, it's an interesting book with history and backstories about the industry itself (and of course a lot of information about the Lauder family). *I don't work in the industry, but love the products.

Helg, I really appreciate the offer * , but am not going to even look at your Wardrobe, as I know I'll immediately lose all control. *: ;D

I forgot to mention before that in Estee Lauder's book, she mentioned that their perfumery only has 95% or 98% of their fragrance formulas and that only a member of the Lauder family knows the secret remaining ingredients, which they then add personally. This book was written in the mid 1980's, so I don't know what if anything has changed since then, but it reminded me of the secret Ingredient X and Coca Cola.

I don't know why, but found this interesting too.