Code of Conduct

Default Brands/Houses that just don't interest you?

I ignore all celeb scents on principle (I might miss something but that's my problem ) but that's not what I'm after in this thread: which brands/houses don't interest you in the slightest? No matter how many scents they launch, no matter how positive feedback they get, you just aren't interested, period.

Mine would be:
    Burberry - the whole world and their dog wearing those boooring checkered scarfs, no thanks :-X

Escada - their clothes look like they are designed for "racy" bank clerks in their late fifties and their endless limited edition summer scents with their itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny-yellow-polka-dot-bikini names and tutti frutti PINK juices :P

Lacoste - those cute pastel shirts with the trademark crocodile and that idiotic ad with the woman dancing on the table among all the wine glasses and tableware :-[ On one hand "matronly" Elisabeth Arden & Estée Lauder*, on the other "all-American" Ralph Lauren & Tommy Hilfiger - to quote Morrissey "it says nothing to me about my life", I just don't identify with the images of these four houses. :-?

Amouage & Bond no 9 - those prices and those onion-domed/weird-shaped gaudy bottles, I have passed on every single sample I have ever received without even sniffing them... :

Versace - just one word: Donatella

*some EL scents are quite good, actually, just not my type
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: Brands/Houses that just don't interest you?

A lot of the Parlux brands: Ocean Pacific, Guess, XOXO, Maria sharapova, the exception being paris hilton (wich i like both PH for w and PH forM) and Perry Ellis wich has some interesting offerings...but not fantastic.
    Agent provocateur (blah!)
    Britney Spears
    Celine (both the fashion house and the Dion one)
    Dunhill
    Faconable (interesting but it seems like they want to make copycats and not that good also)
    La Prairie
    Mango
    Davidoff
    etc etc etc
    !

oh i forgot!: over at cofinluxe (france): the Andy Warhol collection (uh? what was he or his family thinking?) / the Watts collection( illuminating the senses? boring me to tears!) and the Morgan (zzz) collection!

I am a Huge fan of Salvador Dali's perfumes by the way!

I don't have any interest in the EDT's or EDP's that Caron makes, I've heard such bad things about the way they smell, but I'd love to try the urn scents. Givenchy, Fendi,Versace and Burberry spark NO interest for me. Also I'd sniff bleach before I'd smell Kimora Lee Simmons stuff!!! ;D

Also I'd sniff bleach before I'd smell Kimora Lee Simmons stuff!!! Grin
    hahahah! me too! i've heard only bad things of that woman's scent...
    i will try it anyways i think but the expectations are already very very low...

but givenchy? caron? versace? heresy!

Burberry, Caron, celebrity brands, and (yikes!) Creed except for FdTRB, and (double yikes) Guerlain.

Now, at one time I was interested in Creed and Guerlain, but I've sampled enough of them now to decide their house note, or style, is distinct and not for me.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I'm currently in this phase in which very little that's new attracts me - my nose just wants to smell classics lately. It will pass - my phases always do. I'm usually interested in any and every fragrance that crosses my path.

Elizabeth Arden doesn't interest me either, nor celebrity scents, nor Escada. I sniffed some Creeds recently for the first time, and I wasn't overhwelmed by them. At those prices they better sit up and whistle Dixie to get my attention. But maybe I just didn't sniff the right ones.

Though I love Angélique Encens and Tabarome I still think Creed has somewhat "stuffy" image. Plus many of their scents have that unpleasant cold, metallic Creed touch. Smell of money, perhaps?

And though I love Les Néréides line, Des Filles à la Vanille somehow overdoses the "adorable little angels" image. :P

Quite many. Escada and Lacoste, and I have nothing to add to your motivations there, Tigs. They don´t even try to speak to me, and I think they are doing excellent without my love. Prada and Gucci are just not my thing, even though I can appreciate the scents. Lancôme has never captured me, and I can´t put my finger on why. I do buy their make-up. These are just a few. Then there are the celebrity scents, (I did have Manifesto by Isabella Rosselini, though). For a long time I kept a distance to Chanel, but that is slowly changing since my curiosity in some classics has awaken. I am also conciously limiting myself all the time, because there is an ocean out there.

There are many I won't go out of my way to try, but these days, except for Kimora Lee Simmons' crap, I never say never. *I had to eat crow about J.Lo fragrances because I snubbed them for a long time and then I tried Live, really, really, really liked it, and bought a full bottle. I tried Live because Dominique Ropion is its perfumer and I respect and admire so many of his fragrances; particularly Carnal Flower. *Live also is one of the few fragrances I have found that contains noticeable, bright, cheery pineapple. My other "never" fragrance is a small bottle of Miami Glow that I got really cheap, and I like to wear it when I'm in the mountains to warm up the atmosphere.

Generally I have no interest in Elizabeth Arden, Liz Claiborne, Elizabeth Taylor, the fragrances from the Estee Lauder companies (though I appreciate a few of them, particularly older ones), most celebrity fragrances (but I never say never), and Summer Limited "Light" editions. *I try to find out who the perfumers of fragrances are, because I find that in the long run, this matters to my nose way more than the brand name of the fragrance. (Except for Kimora Lee Simmons: *If Olivia Giacobetti created a Simmons' fragrance I wouldn't buy it.)

Calvin Klein
    Versace
    Elizabeth Arden
    Escada
    Clinique
    Estee Lauder
    Givenchy
    YSL Nu and Cinema
    All the celebs

I just see the bottle and tester walk on quickly without a backward glance.
    DONNA

I've never liked any Lancomes I've tried, so I ignore those. I'm not interested in Burberry either. Maybe it's the plaid. Floris and Creed...I've sampled a few and didn't like them that much. Estee Lauder and Elizabeth Taylor are ignored too. In my mind they are matronly.

So far I haven't liked anything I've tried from Lorenzo Villoresi, but I will keep trying.
    ~Melanie Teegarden, Owner
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

I have found at least one scent I like (but maybe not love), from most houses I have tried, but if I should mention some of my least interesting brands:

Lacoste
    Elizabeth Arden/Taylor
    Clinique
    Hugo Boss
    Gucci
    Bond no 9
    Calvin Klein
    Salvador Dali
    Versace
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

For a reason or another:

Creed
    Lorenzo Villoresi

J Lo and other celebs (but I'm curious to test Marilyn Manson's fragrance!)
    BOSS
    La Coste
    Escada
    Cavalli

Lorenzo Villoresi
    Kenneth Cole
    Hugo Boss
    Calvin Klein (waiting for Euphoria for men, though)
    Lacoste
    Most celebuscents
    Davidoff
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Estee Lauder leaves me cold.
    Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein , never met a scent I wanted to bother with .
    Arden , Escada, Boss

Escada. I'll try pretty much anything, but I'm just not into the fruity florals.

So many mentions here of my beloved Lorenzo, though! *weeps* Ah well...more for me!

Thanks for your posts, everyone, this is most interesting!

Wow, never thought the rather controversial (Piper Nigrum, anyone?) Lorenzo Villoresi could be so uninteresting! ;D

But I'm surprised no one has yawned at Comme des Garçons, which I have seen labelled as "pseudocool" (whatever that means :).

Hugo Boss & Roberto Cavalli go to my "couldn't care less" list, too. :-[

I share the ennui toward Creed. I've never sniffed, and can't be bothered. I've seen comments regarding their possibly shorter shelf life, and I already have hundreds of fragrances I'd like to sample that come at more reasonable prices.

I'm standoffish toward both Givenchy and Dolce & Gabbana, with no real reason to back it up.

Unlike some, I AM interested in sampling Villoresi's work, but that might have something to do with me finding him...compelling. It was a good marketing move to release his picture; outdoors in picturesqe Italy, humble artisan vibe, great lighting. Makes him look like a rather dashing and romantic figure. Poor reasoning, I know, but I have to go with my insticts.

Quote Originally Posted by fragrantone
    I'm standoffish toward both Givenchy and Dolce & Gabbana, with no real reason to back it up.
    Same here, nothing from them has ever really grabbed my attention.

I quite liked the original L'Interdit but they went and changed it so my interest in Givenchy ends there.

D&G? Well, to me "the Madonna connection" is no credit to the house...

Quote Originally Posted by fragrantone
    Unlike some, I AM interested in sampling Villoresi's work, but that might have something to do with me finding him...compelling. It was a good marketing move to release his picture; outdoors in picturesqe Italy, humble artisan vibe, great lighting. Makes him look like a rather dashing and romantic figure. Poor reasoning, I know, but I have to go with my insticts.
    ;D

These things (likes & dislikes) are always all about gut feelings, anyway: nothing to do with common sense (except when it's a question about HUGE prices).

AACK!!! [smiley=shocked.gif] Let me recant! Forgive me, Nahema, my love! I forgot about you!!! Nahema is Guerlain's big winner with me! I think it's divine.

Please, spritz responsibly.

ya know..i was stadoffish towards D&G and Loewe and then i tested D&G's: light blue, pour homme, masculine and sicily and was pleasently surprised!, this same thing happened with Loewe: i love a lot of their scents now...

Anything Davidoff, Elizabeth Taylor, or Avon. Liz's scents start off okay on me but turn into burnt plastic after about 10 minutes. Somehow, that doesn't surprise me, either. Her potions come off as cheap, synthetic recreations of notes. Hooker material.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

I take back Versace!!!... Blonde in parfum form is the best tuberose . I saw it recommened on helg's website and it is fantastic. Thank you, helg!

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    AACK!!! [smiley=shocked.gif] Let me recant! Forgive me, Nahema, my love! I forgot about you!!! Nahema is Guerlain's big winner with me! I think it's divine.

I too love Nahema (on my third bottle of EDP) and am wearing it as we speak. I also love other Guerlains as well and am very attracted to classics (e.g.Mitsouko).

Krysia

Hi,

I generally don't like the idea of celebrity scents (too much hoopla), but there are some really good ones. I bought Lovely by SJP and I think it is unique and very, very nice and very well may become a staple in my fragrance wardrobe.. Bought some Live (JLo) for the hot weather if it ever comes.. Not sure how much I like it yet. Kind of sweet.

Hate Elizabeth Taylor stuff partially because all of the gem stuff is annoying (Diamonds, rubies, cubic zirconia, etc.) Haven't yet found a Burberry I would like so far. Don't mind the plaid though it is kind of unsexy.

Otherwise I am pretty open. I get very excited about finding a frag that people don't appreciate or know about but I find is great (especially if at a good price). Then that is my find.

Have stayed away from Creed. You have to really impress me to get me to buy stuff that expensive.

Krysia

Because I'm a real "Collectomaniac", I'm open and interested in everything. I sniff at least once every single scent that comes out. Yet often those that don't leave a lasting impression come form P&G, EuroItalia, Parlux and Interparfums.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Because I'm a real "Collectomaniac", I'm open and interested in everything. I sniff at least once every single scent that comes out.
    Hats off to Cedric!

I wish I could be as prejudice-free when it comes to perfumes... but I just can't.