Code of Conduct

Default Does Any Of Your Perfumes "scare" You?,

..... so you don´t wear them even though you love them?

I have 3 perfumes, which I all love very highly, but they have this effect on me, that I am almost afraid to wear them

1. Sabi - why would anyone be afraid to wear that one, you might think, this is the most beautiful, delicate, feminine perfume ever made ( IMO ). But that is just the thing. I have no idea when to wear it, because I am not sure I will ever be beautiful, feminine or delicate enough to wear it, and when I rarely ever DO dare to wear it, I always feel that: "hmm this was not quite the right occasion for it.. was it now.. " I have the feeling that she ( Sabi ) is standing in the corner of the room, looking at me and thinking: How dare that woman wear ME here.. looking like that? and acting like that? I think I might need to turn a bit on her skin.. maybe i could produce a bit of BO on her." So.. even though I love Sabi.. I rarely wear her.

2. Eau de Soir - the most perfect, exquisite, elegant, "in-control" perfume made ( IMO ). But I feel I can never live up to that, and I am sure she would mock me and get deadly offended if I ever tried to: " What on earth is that... ehh WOMAN??... doing wearing ME!!!! - she neither got the style nor the attitude to do so, and I feel embarrassed to be "seen" with her. Maybe I could enhance my sharpness a little on her skin.. that should give her a headache, so she never dares to wear me again ( I have a bottle of her - and I regularly takes it out of the closet.. and back again )

3. Metallica I searched for this one for so long.. and finally got it ( shared a ebay-find with a wonderful ex-POL-er, and I got the bottle ). But when can I wear it? I am not afraid that it disappoints me.. because luckily it smelled just like I remembered, and it feels so perfect when I am wearing it, so why am I afraid to do so? At the beginning it was understandable.. because it was almost impossible to find, but with the launch of Metalys, which supposedly is the same juice, that can´t explain it anymore. Could it be that I am afraid that it will be less perfect if I actually wears it regularly, like..when a person you admired very much and was a huge fan of.. suddenly comes out like an ordinary person when you get to know them? Or maybe I am afraid that THIS could be "the one" - the perfume I have been looking for always.. and my "quest" would then be over.. and I would feel the same kind of emptiness I felt when I graduated from the University.. years of studying and waiting for the final day.. HOORRAAYY I MADE IT.... I got my degrees... and..ehhh what now?
    I don´t know.. but fact is.. that I don´t wear it even though I love it very much.

anybody out there feel like I do?

Default Re: Does Any Of Your Perfumes "scare" You?,

No, not anymore!

I very much had that feeling of unsecurity about which scents would be proper to wear on this or that occasion, and whether they suited me, or not, etc, etc. But that was before joining Basenotes! After spending hours and hours of reading and reflecting about opinions, preferences, recommendations etc from people on the board, I have become much more (self-)confident. I realize now there is no right or wrong any more for me, personally, regarding what, when & what if...when it comes to wearing perfume.
    I think I had a feeling before, sometimes, that it was the fragrance that was wearing me, instead of me wearing it!
    Fracas, which I love, I now wear anytime I feel like wearing it, no matter what!
    I hesitated wearing it for many years, because this is a scent that when you look upon it from an objective perspective, nobody would think suited me at all!!!
    Yes, I was afraid of wearing Fracas for many years, because I thought I was too plain, too little lady-like etc. Many orientals, like Shalimar, I thought only fitted brunettes (I`m dark blond). I feel soo much more free now, wearing just what I wish to wear.

Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I'm not afraid of any of them. But some of them bother me if they don't smell good.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

Jicky still scares me a little although I do like it!

I'm a little afraid of En Passant. It's so beautiful to me that I fear losing the special feeling it evokes. I'll wear it only on sunny days when I feel good so that I never associate it with depression or anything. I wear it sparingly, too, because I don't want to lose the magic!

Hmm, I guess Bandit, Cabochard and Angélique Encens are quite demanding, I have to be on the right mood for them to wear them. 8-)
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Caron's Yatagan is kind of scary to wear...
    i like it, but still...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by CoL²
    Jicky still scares me a little although I do like it!

Same here. I am very attached to my bottle, because it was the first one I got out of pure curiosity and out of interest for perfume. I love it, but I am always a little intimidated by it.

Nope, I'm not that concerned. I'll wear any- and everything. I'm careful, though, not to overapply when I'm going to be in close quarters with other people who might be sensitive. When it's just myself, I splash and spritz with happy abandon, from the most refined to the weirdest to drug store cheapies. It's all in fun. :-)

Nope, not really. Although sometimes things annoy me if they turn out to be poorly suited to the day's activities/environs.

Bandit and Fendi, for example, have to have a very specific mood that accompanies them. Frolicking through sunny fields of wildflowers ain't it.
    ~Melanie Teegarden, Owner
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

[smiley=chanel.gif]no

I hesitate to wear Chinatown. It's very rich and although I love it, I usually wear jeans. It seems like to wear Chinatown I should be in

something more deluxe. I don't even know what!!! Except that jeans and a t-shirt ain't it. :P
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    I hesitate to wear Chinatown. * *It's very rich and although I love it, *I usually wear jeans. * It seems like to wear Chinatown I should be in

something more deluxe. * *I don't even know what!!! * Except that jeans and a t-shirt ain't it. :P
    Filthy rich people wear Chinatown and jeans. There are no rules. Do what feels good to you. You're the only one holding yourself back.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by lille_my
    ..... so you don´t wear them even though you love them?

I have 3 perfumes, which I all love very highly, but they have this effect on me, that I am almost afraid to wear them

1. *Sabi - why would anyone be afraid to wear that one, you might think, this is the most beautiful, delicate, feminine perfume ever made ( IMO ). But that is just the thing. I have no idea when to wear it, because I am not sure I will ever be beautiful, feminine or delicate enough to wear it, and when I rarely ever DO dare to wear it, I always feel that: "hmm this was not quite the right occasion for it.. was it now.. " I have the feeling that she ( Sabi ) is standing in the corner of the room, looking at me and thinking: How dare that woman wear ME here.. looking like that? and acting like that? I think I might need to turn a bit on her skin.. maybe i could produce a bit of BO on her." So.. even though I love Sabi.. I rarely wear her.

2. Eau de Soir - the most perfect, exquisite, elegant, "in-control" perfume made ( IMO ). But I feel I can never live up to that, and I am sure she would mock me and get deadly offended if I ever tried to: " What on earth is that... ehh WOMAN??... doing wearing ME!!!! - she neither got the style nor the attitude to do so, and I feel embarrassed to be "seen" with her. Maybe I could enhance my sharpness a little on her skin.. that should give her a headache, so she never dares to wear me again ( I have a bottle of her - and I regularly takes it out of the closet.. and back again )

3. Metallica I searched for this one for so long.. and finally got it ( shared a ebay-find with a wonderful ex-POL-er, and I got the bottle ). But when can I wear it? I am not afraid that it disappoints me.. because luckily it smelled just like I remembered, and it feels so perfect when I am wearing it, so why am I afraid to do so? At the beginning it was understandable.. because it was almost impossible to find, but with the launch of Metalys, which supposedly is the same juice, that can´t explain it anymore. Could it be that I am afraid that it will be less perfect if I actually wears it regularly, like..when a person you admired very much and was a huge fan of.. suddenly comes out like an ordinary person when you get to know them? Or maybe I am afraid that THIS could be "the one" - the perfume I have been looking for always.. and my "quest" would then be over.. and I would feel the same kind of emptiness I felt when I graduated from the University.. years of studying and waiting for the final day.. HOORRAAYY I MADE IT.... I got my degrees... and..ehhh what now?
    I don´t know.. but fact is.. that I don´t wear it even though I love it very much.

anybody out there feel like I do?
    Just go wear them. Wear one of them every day this week. You can do it!

Book recommendations:

The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry