Code of Conduct

Thread: Black Cashmere

Default Black Cashmere

I've bought over 60 bottles of perfume for my ladyfriend in the last three years. Her reaction has always been something between - "it's good" to "it's really really good" to "it's fabulous".

I bought her a small bottle of Black Cashmere the other day. She'd never seen nor heard of it before.
    Her reaction was somewhat different this time.
    "It's good ........ mmmm ...... it's good, but ............ I think it's something lesbians would probably really go for."

Any thoughts?
    Renato

Default Re: Black Cashmere

lol now i gotta go smell it.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Renato, I think we should change your name to Australia`s Great Provoker. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    Renato, I think we should change your name to Australia`s Great Provoker. *;D
    Actually, I think I have to concede the point once - just this once - that maybe our colleagues on the other board are correct about this one not being much of a women's scent/ more of a man's scent.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I've bought over 60 bottles of perfume for my ladyfriend in the last three years. Her reaction has always been something between - "it's good" to "it's really really good" to "it's fabulous".

I bought her a small bottle of Black Cashmere the other day. She'd never seen nor heard of it before.
    "It's good ........ mmmm *...... it's good, but ............ I think it's something lesbians would probably really go for."

Any thoughts?
    Renato

LOL.. did she mean it was masculine? because I seem to think of it as a uni-sex scent, more than a woman´s scent

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I would class it as unisex.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by lille_my
    [quote author=Renato link=1147570727/0#0 date=1147570726]

LOL.. did she mean it was masculine? because I seem to think of it as a uni-sex scent, more than a woman´s scent
    I think she meant it was on the masculine side of unisex, because she did actually wear it later.
    Renato

Ok...that makes sense to me, because the labdanum is really strong in Black Cashmere, and I've had people describe labdanum as an odor that reminds them of a vagina. Not a bad thing, just...it is what it is. Me, I don't see how it smells like a vagina, but the nose is a funny thing.
    ~Melanie Teegarden, Owner
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

First of all, she is one lucky lady to have you as her male friend. As for DK BC -- it is good, very good in an unusual way. My cooler weather scent, enveloping the wearer in a cloud of spices and resins, creating the mood, and as an added bonus -- you can wear it too.

A dear seller sent me a bonus of Black Cashmere a couple of months ago. I haven't tried it yet. Now I can see, this is going to be fun to try!

Actually, I think I have to concede the point once - just this once - that maybe our colleagues on the other board are correct about this one not being much of a women's scent/ more of a man's scent.
    Renato
    Holy Mother of God! I am marking this one on the calendar! Ironically enough, I just sold my bottle of BC. I agree that it's unisex, leaning masculine, at least until the deep dry-down where it takes on a softer, soapy quality that I'd call strictly unisex. In the end, I felt I own (and have on my wishlist) enough other incense-woods-spices scents to let this one go. Still, good stuff. Wow...I still can't believe what I just read...

i remember replying with you have to try black cashmere first on that endless thread about the male forum being for male fragrances only i believe instigated by renato ,finally even one of basenotes most red blooded contributers has concurred that not all fragrances marketed as for women are not just for women ,i'd wear this out and i live in south wales where neanderthal man still looms large and on roids too and not fear my sexuality being questioned .

I keep trying to like it.

I admire it but.. it depresses me.

It's one of my best friend's signatures- she sure isn't a lesbian either- LOL! On her it smells warm, spicy, softly sweet and very Oriental.

On me, it's more medicinal and not so good. I'm kind of surprised too because generally I love incense fragrances so much.

Another friend from Greece says it reminds her of the incense used in their Greek Orthodox Churches- and she loves it.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Thumbs up Re: Black Cashmere

I adore Black Cashmere and its a shame they don't bring it out anymore!!

When I first wore it my friend said."hmmm..you smell like a Greek priest"..it doe have that mysterious..incense of a Greek Orthodox church..comforting...As a cjold he was an altar boy in the Greek church so I thought it probably brings back comforting memories etc...Who knows..all I know is he loved it!!

Well he loves it!He made m e go and get him a bottle!When we found out our Hondos Center was not bringing it again and they had 59% off...we both went out and bought a stock!He continues to love it as do I.I think its quite unique and to be honest its the only fragrance he has complimented me on..!

I like it on women, adore it on men.
    Just bought my best friend a bottle of it, and it smells perfect on him, and he agrees.
    I wore this one quite a lot the first year after discovering it, but the metalic twang is somehow off-putting at times.
    Still, there are times I absolutely crave the stuff.
    Unisex, IMHO.

I agree that this is more of a guy's scent because there's something heavy and almost oppressive about it that simply doesn't suit me inasmuch as oppressive and I don't mix well as partners. Likely, too much incense, as I only appreciate a tad of it in a fragrance. However, I do think it's a great scent if you feel aggressive and have some shoe banging on a desk to do, and it's a terrific goth scent. Way too butch for this dancing cat.

Is Black Cashmere available in any Department Stores?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I've heard rumours that it has been discontinued, so better buy online while you still can.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Serpent

"It's good ........ mmmm ...... it's good, but ............ I think it's something lesbians would probably really go for."
    I've bought my mom loads of fragrance - she puts in her eBay and Garment District orders for Dior and whatever I can scrounge cheap - and it's great when I can pounce on a good eBay deal and get her something special, like the quarter-ounce of No. 5 parfum for $30 or the $17 bottle of Diorissimo... or the $9 one-ounce bottle of Black Cashmere. I was so proud of myself.

Well, you'd have thought I'd sent her a human liver in the mail. She was downright offended by the scent; not even Kingdom had managed to accomplish that feat. "It's smells like pine trees. Is this for men? I hate this! It stinks!" When I visited for Christmas several months later, I found the Black Cashmere bottle still packed in its box, and commented on it, so she relented and agreed to wear it. Actually, the exact phrase was, "Fine, I'll wear that ****." (Anyone wonder where I get my politesse - or lack thereof - from?)

My dad, of course, loves the smell. He was taking deep whiffs of my mom all day. So, the next day, I smell Black Cashmere, and I'm confused. I say to my mom, "I thought you hated Black Cashmere." My dad pipes up, "I'm wearing it." He decided to adopt the bottle, and he wore it the rest of the time I was there for Christmas. It's one of his very favorite scents, and my mom's just glad to be rid of that shiny black millstone...

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    Is Black Cashmere available in any Department Stores?
    I believe Neiman Marcus has it, as well as the Donna Karan Essence line, which is pretty much just four pieces of Black Cashmere - Wenge, Labdanum, Lavender, and Jasmine - made into separate fragrances and sold at a ridiculously higher price. I think the sales associate told me Neiman Marcus has an exclusive on Black Cashmere now.

And in Canada... I've seen it both at The Bay and at Holt Renfrew
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Talking Re: Black Cashmere

I have had a couple of bottles of Black Cashmere and I do like it. I gave a 1/2 full bottle to a friend of mine as I had too many fragrances at the time.
    And I swear - she is 'sex on a stick' when she wears it! I'll paint the picture first. She is Olive skinned, Big mane of Black wavy hair and dark eyes about
    5' 9" and this fragrance suits her done to the ground. It is nice, warm and spicy and I sniff appreciatively whenever she is with me!
    It's funny, but I wouldn't picture a petite sun kissed blonde wearing it. But I am sure they do and it probably smells terrific.
    I totally understand why others would turn up the nose - on first whiff - it is a bit unexpected! I actually layer it with D & G Red lid and it works nice in winter.

A lesbian friendly scent...eh.? Not to me. It just smells like gingerbread cookies baking at X'mas time. I love it.

ooooh I have to try this!! Does anywhere in the UK sell it? or indeed online in the uk?

House of Fraser sells it online and in some of their stores. It now comes in a tall tube like bottle and not the pebble bottle.
    DONNA

Hmmm house of fraser online don't have it at the moment. Will keep looking though

Quote Originally Posted by Dani California View Post
    Hmmm house of fraser online don't have it at the moment. Will keep looking though
    You can get it from Harrods on-line :-)