Code of Conduct

Thread: Pine notes?

Default Pine notes?

I have tested a couple men's colognes that have a noticeable pine or pine-like note. Trying to recollect, I can't remember smelling any women's fragrances with pine. Are there any women's fragrances with pine that you like. Or for that matter, are there any men's fragrances with pine that you like?

Default Re: Pine notes?

Estee Lauders Private Collection is PURE pine. It's like standing in the middle of a forest of nothing but pine trees all around you. Its an awesome scent.
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B.
    Or for that matter, are there any men's fragrances with pine that you like?
    Polo - the original one in the green bottle. It is a wonderful pine scent. Yes, it's strong and very 1980's, but still has a great pine scent and I love it on a man. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't enjoy it that much anymore, so I asked for replacement suggestions on the men's board. Check out the beginning of this thread especially, as the members originally were suggesting primarily pine scents for me:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...m=1144961163/0

Comme des Garçons Incense Series Zagorsk has beautiful pine and birch notes.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Yes!! Once more I can recommend AA Winter Delice (Guerlain).

What a lovely creation indeed!

[quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1146702689/0#4 date=1146712758]Yes!! Once more I can recommend AA Winter Delice (Guerlain).

What a lovely creation indeed![/quote

The notes on this fragrance sound interesting. I like the idea of pine in the heart note. I did read that the basenotes include "gingerbread". Does it smell like food? I am not comfortable with fragrances that smell like food. Sometimes the edible type notes are nicely integrated and I enjoy the fragrance. If the fragrance smells like a food item it seems strange to wear it. Does this seem like something to eat Pigeon Murderer?

Quote Originally Posted by Strange_Accord
    [quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1146702689/0#4 date=1146712758]Yes!! Once more I can recommend AA Winter Delice (Guerlain).

What a lovely creation indeed![/quote

The notes on this fragrance sound interesting. I like the idea of pine in the heart note. I did read that the basenotes include "gingerbread". Does it smell like food? I am not comfortable with fragrances that smell like food. Sometimes the edible type notes are nicely integrated and I enjoy the fragrance. If the fragrance smells like a food item it seems strange to wear it. Does this seem like something to eat Pigeon Murderer?
    S_A, this isn`t edible scent in a slighest bit IMO. It`s a woody scent with balsamic base - It`s kind of fruity at the start, then developes into lovely pine/fir scent with interesting "moist" charachter. Insence is also very easy to regognize. In fact, during the late hours of drydown, this smells quite much like (sweet)musk-insence sticks.

That "gingerbread-note" isn`t that obvious at all. It`s very much just an accord there somewhere, and it`s been melted solidly to be essential part of those balsamic woody notes. So it`s there, but not that much in gourmand way.
    The musk/vanilla combo in this scent is very sugary type though, and I guess someone could find there some edible nuances. And even I, who doesn`t find this scent so foody, have described this lovely aroma sometimes in a way; that it smells like a package of vanilla-ice cream in a moist, snowy evergreen forest.

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    Estee Lauders Private Collection is PURE pine. *It's like standing in the middle of a forest of nothing but pine trees all around you. *Its an awesome scent. *
    Thanks. I looked it up in the Basenotes review area, and the reviews make is sound like an incredibly well-crafted fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    Check out the beginning of this thread especially, as the members originally were suggesting primarily pine scents for me
    Thanks. I took a look. And now I can't wait to hear what you two decide on. Please let us know.

BTW, even if this is not the style you are looking for, you might find the thread about rustic fragrances of interest. http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...um=1145070146/

[quote author=Herb Lady link=1146702689/0#2 date=1146703737]Check out the beginning of this thread especially, as the members originally were suggesting primarily pine scents for me
    Thanks. I took a look. And now I can't wait to hear what you two decide on. Please let us know.

BTW, even if this is not the style you are looking for, you might find the thread about rustic fragrances of interest. http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...um=1145070146/
    [/quote]

Andrew, thank you for the link. Just curious though - what is your description of a "rustic" scent? It can be so subjective...

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    ... that it smells like a package of vanilla-ice cream in a moist, snowy evergreen forest.
    Gingerbread, snowy forest...it sounds like Hansel & Gretel's witch's house in the black forest. I absolutely MUST smell this one now that you have described it. Where have I been? Under a rock as usual. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    Andrew, thank you for the link. *Just curious though - what is your description of a "rustic" scent? *It can be so subjective...
    For me, a rustic scent reminds me of walking in the Santa Monica hills where I used to live. *It is a mix of trees, shrubs, and soil. But I was also curious about other people's takes on this.

I wore Winter Delice today so i'm going to have to second it or is it third it now????? An utterly beautiful pine scent.
    Awesomeguy

I don't know if it has pine notes in it, but Clinique Wrappings reminds me very much of hiking through a piney forest.

I would second the recs for Zagorsk and Winter Delice, too.

[quote author=Herb Lady link=1146702689/0#9 date=1146856454]Andrew, thank you for the link. *Just curious though - what is your description of a "rustic" scent? *It can be so subjective...
    For me, a rustic scent reminds me of walking in the Santa Monica hills where I used to live. *It is a mix of trees, shrubs, and soil. But I was also curious about other people's takes on this.
    [/quote]

Rustic for me is a bit of a mix. I live close to the ocean, so I think of the ocean - salt air, sand, crunchy wool sweaters, sea spray, but I don't think of these scents as typical marine scents currently offered in perfumes. Also I view rustic as pine trees, hiking in the mountains, a log cabin on a lake (or perhaps high on a cliff above the sea), cedar, leather (from a horse's tack), a wood fire, crisp night air. But most of all I think of rustic as QUIET. Even if every animal, every bird, the wind, a crashing wave, a thunderstorm, is making the biggest racket in the world, it is the absence of human voices, traffic, sirens, TV's and radios blasting, etc., that makes it so peaceful and rustic for me.

Miss Dior has a pine note. That's what gives it it's coolness. Love it!

I have tested a couple men's colognes that have a noticeable pine or pine-like note. Trying to recollect, I can't remember smelling any women's fragrances with pine. Are there any women's fragrances with pine that you like. Or for that matter, are there any men's fragrances with pine that you like?

Andrew, I forgot to mention earlier. Last year, right before Christmas, I purchased at William Sonoma this nice hand lotion that was of a wonderful pine scent - really intense and just like a pine forest. I think it was called Winter Forest and it had pine, cedar and cinnamon essential oils in it. I think Caldrea made it for them.

It was probably a seasonal item, because I don't see that scent on their website right now, but they may bring it back in the fall - it seemed to be enormously successful. They had a room spray too, which smelled lovely but the atomizer itself was terrible and kept clogging and I returned it twice before giving up and returning it for good. But the pump on the lotion is fine.

Here's the link to their site - they have many other scents now for spring/summer:

http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/i...%7Crshop%2Fhme

Are there any women's fragrances with pine that you like?
    Strangely enough, I am not familiar with any, though I am really happy my wife recently acquired Youth Dew!

Or for that matter, are there any men's fragrances with pine that you like?
    With specifically pine, I like Acqua di Selva and Versace's Green Jeans, the former bearing the more pure pine notes. If you are open to fir notes more generally (e.g., cedar, juniper, sequoia, etc.), then I can without hesitation recommend Cartier's Déclaration, Hermes' Rocabar, and CdG Sequoia, all favorites of mine.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H.
    With specifically pine, I like Acqua di Selva and Versace's Green Jeans, the former bearing the more pure pine notes
    I have a sample of Green Jeans. I've tested it twice. I'm not sure what to make of it. It is a very unusual combination that I can't quite put a mood on. It seems warm and cool at the same time. But also something interesting in the combination of notes.

diptyque l'eau trois is very piney

I smell pine in Clinique Wrappings. Both pine needles and pine sap. It's wonderful.

though it's vetiver, rdv smells piney. i love it, but i don't think it would really work on a woman.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

To me the ultimate pine scent is mazzolari mazzolari.......

Yatagan
    Blenheim Bouquet
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    Blenheim Bouquet
    I second Blenheim Bouquet! It has a clear pine note. Winter Delice AA is more like a Christmas-ey, fir-ey scent. Blenheim Bouquet is an outdoors-fresh-air kind of scent, it smells of a pine forest. I had a sample of it and enjoyed it a lot.