Code of Conduct

Thread: Vacation Report

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Vacation Report

8-) *My daughter and I just returned from a week in Florida at Walt Disney World. It's good to be back amongst all of you and share the bits of info below.

Here is a link to my list of the 35 fragrance brands available in EPCOT's World Showcase:
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...1147371853/0#0

*B E S T * N E W - S C E N T *D I S C O V E R Y
    L'Occitane's Green Tea & Jasmine (limited edition)
    As lovely and light as a cool drink over ice on a summer's day. Top--bitter orange, orange essential oil, pomelo, cardamom; heart--green tea extract, jasmine absolute from Grasse; base--thyme, cedar.

:-? *O T H E R * S C E N T S * S N I F F E D
    To be fair, I sampled some of the following only on mouillettes (paper strips). Further, it was usually near 90 degrees Fahrenheit and humid, and I was on my feet constantly--not ideal circumstances for savoring anything. I've recently learned that I bring lemon to at least some scents. Noa, Happy Heart, Beautiful Sheer, SJP Lovely, all smell almost identical on me--just like pretty lemons! I'm not happy with this determination, but at least now I have a better understanding as to why so many light scents smell shrieky-sharp on me and why "soft and mellow" has been so elusive.
    • EPCOT/France/La Signature (Guerlain shop): I sampled Colours of Love, Aqua Allegorias Tutti Kiwi and Grosellina (red currant), Chamade, and parfum-strength Jicky. The three new fruity scents did nothing to excite me. I found the parfum-strength of Jicky in no way superior to the EDT I've been enjoying at home, but that might be related to the hot conditions under which I was sampling it. I wore L'Instant one evening and tired of it quickly.
    • EPCOT/France/La Plume et Palette: I was surprised to learn that Annick Goutal is now well represented. I smelled strips sprayed with Mandragore and Duel, but couldn't assess their depths in the heat.
    • EPCOT/Italy: I enjoyed wearing Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile one day. Easy-going, sweet floral.
    • EPCOT/Japan: I sniffed both the revised and classic Zens (white and black bottles) and Relaxing. The word "relaxing" is so suggestive that I actual did relax each time I revisited the test strip.
    • Airport/Perfumania: Checked off a few classics from my to-sniff list--Worth Je Reviens, Van Cleef & Arpels First, Cacharel Noa, Estée Lauder Pleasures and Beautiful.
    • Airport/L'Occitane: Neroli, Green Tea & Jasmine, Eau des 7 Fleurs Eau de Parfum.

:'( *D I S A P P O I N T M E N T S * W E R E . . .
    Guerlain's Cuir Beluga is not making its way to Florida until 2008 (according to La Signature staff). Not finding Pivoine Magnifica, although other Aqua Allegorias were available. Not finding Hermès line represented anywhere. The staff in Italy not offering to open the Borsari Violetta di Parma to sample when every other brand there was represented by testers. No paper strips for testing in the U.K.'s fragrance store. Not finding a new scent I wanted to add to my wardrobe.

:-/ *P A R K *S M E L L S
    What scents I picked up from the mass of humanity seemed to be mostly from the Calvin Klein collection. Sadly, management just can't seem to exorcise the urine smell from the monorail cars despite a recent refurbishment of their interiors.

*L I T E R A T U R E
    I read May Allure magazine flying down to Florida. Its fragrance article was pleasurable, if not highly educational.
    Peter Suskind's novel Perfume filled many a pleasant hour back at the resort where I'd retreat from the oppression of too many tourists. An entertaining story, but I'd like to see the last two pages rewritten. I mean, really--that's the best ending he could come up with? Thank you, b-noters, for clueing me in on these appropriate reads!!!

:-* *R E C O M M E N D A T I O N S
    Banana Boat SPF 30 sunscreen. No odor! Absorbs quickly, not greasy.
    I took along Jo Malone Orange Blossom and Fresh Index Cucumber Baie and was very happy with these choices considering the heat.

Here are a few snaps for your viewing pleasure.

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Vacation Report

You were missed, Quarry! Thank you very much for your report. Not that I am going to Florida in near future, but still I was excited to read about your sniffing experiences and see gorgeous pictures.

So, still no "soft and mellow", I gather? :-? Ahhh....

Thanks for the reports and the pictures, Quarry!

Oooh, thanks for the report and the beautiful pictures!! :-* Too bad you didn't fall in love--but you never know what's just around the corner!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Welcome home, Quarry!

Thanks for sharing your scent experiences, plus the lovely photos!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

happy is the bleu heart<3

welcome home! sounds like a lovely time ... thanks for posting the pics
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Good to see you are back at Basenotes. Sorry you could not make it to my store this time, but promise me you will, next time around, I am looking forward to Marlen Harrison visiting my store this month.

Oh yes thank you for the report and pictures *

Vijay&quot;Maisonstinky&quot;
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Missed ya and glad you're back! Great pictures! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    Missed ya and glad you're back! *Great pictures! *I'm glad you had such a wonderful time *
    What is the name of your store? Can we order online from it?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    [quote author=Tovah link=1147374556/0#7 date=1147460356]Missed ya and glad you're back! *Great pictures! *I'm glad you had such a wonderful time *
    What is the name of your store? *Can we order online from it? *[/quote]

Vijay (aka maisonstinky) told me in a PM that he's working on getting his website up and running. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, too.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

The name of my store is Maison de Parfum currently. We are going to change the name to Suravi, because we have started carrying Jewelry also.

(Note for moderators---- Just answering a question in this post . If it is against the rules feel free to delete it)

Frantically working on a web site. Marlen is probably going to have the web site link on his Scenteur7 site. I cannot disclose anything else of why he may do that, right now.

I plan on advertising at basenotes also.

Vijay&quot;Maisonstinky&quot;
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Thanks, Vijay! I want to support people on this board as much as possible, so I'm really looking forward to your website. This is going to be fun ;D

Great pictures! I am very happy that you enjoyed your trip! did you take any more pictures?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    Great pictures! I am very happy that you enjoyed your trip! did you take any more pictures?
    Unless you want to see me acting palsy-walsy with a giant insect character or my dear daughter after she ran the first Minnie Marathon (I'm so proud of her doing a 15k!), I don't have any other pix to share. This was my first shoot with a digital camera, and my first day out, all I came back with was a photo of the Guerlain store floor! ;D