Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default does the colour of a fragrance affect you?

have you ever had any instances where you thought the colour of the frag in the bottle detracted from what yo uthought of the fragrance overall - or the other way around? or does it mean nothing to you at all?

Default Re: does the colour of a fragrance affect you?

I decanted 4 frags for a friend in fosted glass atomizers a while back and they looked amazing! They were Lolita Lempicka, Tea for Two, Gucci pour Homme, and Envy. They are all different colors (purple, brown, dark brown, green). It is not necessary for the colors to be what they are but it makes them a little more fun. eg. Envy is green because that is the color of jealousy. I like colors but I wouldn't mind living without them...

EnvYuS

It definitely affects me and can be quite seductive. I don't like blatantly artificial colours (blue, purple...), but rich, deep hues that instantly evoke rich essential oils, the antiquity of the process and the alchemy of the creation, like the colour of Chergui, for instance, can be so enchanting....
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

All I can say is that Yardley's "Oh de London" wouldn't have been the same without that chartreuse liquid in the bottle, that clever blending of green & yellow roman chammomile, jasmine & baby rosebuds and 80% sandalwood. As a matter of fact, when Shorell brought the fragrance back for the first time, one of the many complaints was that it was not "green" like the original from the 60's. The scent is distinct in itself, but the color of the perfume was what drew your eye to the bottle, as in the 60's everything green and bright coloured was visually stimulating not only to the eye, but stirring to the soul. Oh de London smelled exactly as it looked, and at first spritz, you got what you were promised at first sight.

The pale blue, lavender, green colors of fragrances add to my enjoyment of the fragrance. Also the orangey-amber colors of orientals and the pale champagne colors of other fragrances. And as Levannah said, the rich deep unctuous hues of oils. The color definitely sets the mood for the fragrance to follow. But they should be well matched. It would be weird if Youth Dew were clear like water, and Cristalle a deep purple or red. Very bright or neon colors probably wouldn't attract me.

The color makes no difference to me unless it is very dark and thick looking, which probably means it's very old and probably not usable.

I've recently learned that some of the Frederic Malles are prone to changing color (without afffecting the fragrance) and this fascinates me. It's like the liquid is alive. (I sound like a lunatic, don't I?). But these fragrances aren't colored purposely to set a mood or appeal to a certain market.

I never thought about it before, but now I realize I avoid colored fragrances if I'm sniffing in a department store or Sephora or some place like that. Pink fragrances, especially, turn me away. From what I can tell, I don't own a single fragrance that isn't clear or light gold. Even though color in fragrances can be pretty, I prefer clear liquid or light gold liquid and I like the glass bottles to be colored. They seem less like synthetic creations of marketers and more like artwork to me if they aren't artificially colored.

I have always hated the fact that Angel was colored blue. I'm a real perfume-weirdo and match my perfume scents with the colors of my clothes. I'm so embarassed to admit that! example Bvlgari Blv Absolute is very gingery(spicy) so I wear it with warm colors like red, orange and rust. The blue coloring in Angel messes with the flow.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    I have always hated the fact that Angel was colored blue. I'm a real perfume-weirdo and match my perfume scents with the colors of my clothes. I'm so embarassed to admit that! example Bvlgari Blv Absolute is very gingery(spicy) so I wear it with warm colors like red, orange and rust. The blue coloring in Angel messes with the flow.
    you're not alone! :P

What are the colors of the juice within Men's and Women's Rive Gauches. And are all the intense, light, original all the same color?

I of course also "feel" a perfume by the fluid´s color. It´s nice when the smell and the fluid-color suits each others. But - I do preferb when I can´t see the fluid color, when the bottle protect the fluid from light. Such frags I don´t have to hide from day-light, and I can have them on my chest of drawers. I only own four such frags - YSL Rive Gauche, Armani City Glam, Versace Jeans Couture Femme and Versace Crystal Noir. For these four frags, the bottle "speaks" instead of the fluid-colour, and do so very nice.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Pink! When I see girly pink juice, an alarm rings in my head... and it's says no, no, noooooo! *:P

I love the different colors! I do also prefer colored bottles for the light protection, but none the less am attracted by pink, blue, lavender, and green juice. I don't seem to care a wit if it's artificial, but I do like color to match the fragrance in some way, however vague.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

No, I don`t really think so, to be honest!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I was a bit surprised just how bright orange Fleurs d'Oranger is...... it almost glows!

It doesn't stop me having a bottle and wearing it, though I confess I do keep it in the box!

;Dno

yes it does affect me but only on an artistic and color level, i studied color theory and color is very important in my life in general! , i mean, if the scent is good i'll get pass it relatively fast, but i tend to get away from the poo-colored ones as well as the slimy green colored ones, i love all the yellowsand oranges as long as they don't have crsytals in them or if they appear "muddy", i like the light greens also and the violet ones...i hate the gray ones! i like the red ones but only for its color as i have found that i have never really liked the smell of a "red" frag before, and sometimes i get really annoyed that i can't get to see the color of the juice on the bottle (armanis bottles anyone?)

heart of ice

I have a love of things blue, so yes, I am drawn to fragrances that are colored blue. Surprisingly, I don't have many scents that are blue because I do buy for the scent not the color, and most blue stuff is just not my style. I've been testing one called Morgane Le Fay Blue, it is a deep, very cool blue color, and I'm SO drawn to it! I wonder if the color DOES have something to do with how much I'm loving it?

Oh, and I love that Angel is blue! To me, it fits so much. I have to wear Angel when I wear certain clothes that are that "angelblue" color. Of course, it helps that not only is blue my favorite color,but that Angel is my favorite fragrance too!
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Basenotes Plus

Not in the least.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Aimez-Moi by Caron

The color of the juice isn't important to me. The best ones seem to be uncolored- clear or amber, or else inside an opaque bottle. Adding color to a frag is risky- it's like choosing colored dinner plates. A white plate can set off most any meal, but once you get into blue or orange, you run the risk of making the meal less appealing. Black dishes seem to work well unless you use them to serve chocolate or raspberry/dark desserts. Dark plates make the dark sauces look heavy and unappealing, while light plates for dessert give a person a feeling of lightness (even if the dessert is technically fatty and heavy).
    I have no idea why I'm talking about plates.

I must be tired.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    The color of the juice isn't important to me. The best ones seem to be uncolored- clear or amber, or else inside an opaque bottle. Adding color to a frag is risky- it's like choosing colored dinner plates. A white plate can set off most any meal, but once you get into blue or orange, you run the risk of making the meal less appealing. Black dishes seem to work well unless you use them to serve chocolate or raspberry/dark desserts. Dark plates make the dark sauces look heavy and unappealing, while light plates for dessert give a person a feeling of lightness (even if the dessert is technically fatty and heavy).
    I have no idea why I'm talking about plates.

I must be tired.
    no, the plates thing was actually a brilliant, insightful analogy, thanks!

I got this Eclat d'Arpege bottle last week, and it is lavender blue. I mean, the bottle is clear glass, and the juice is blue. The wisterias started blooming this week, and it is exactly the same color as EdA! I find it fits very well, and it makes me think of these lovely blossoms when I wear this perfume.

I'm certainly affected by colors. I prefer when the glass of the bottle is colored though. I think that's how they do it in most cases. Except for Fleurs d'Oranger and such of course. Actually, I'm really curious to know which color Bulgari Blu is. One'd have to fill a clear glass vial to see that.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Yes, it does. It the colour is pale yellow or pale blue, I assume that the fragrance is another watery, airy something and hesitate to try it. If it's a pale pink, I don't give it a second look.

Both Chanel and Guerlain has lightened up the colours of their classics in order to follow "fragrance fashion" over the last decades. I like the new colour of #19, but I miss thed deep ambery colours of both L'Heure Bleue and Coco.