Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what top or middle notes make a perfume classy?

In your opinion, what notes would you like to find in a classy perfume or what notes give a perfume class ?

Default Re: what top or middle notes make a perfume classy

I like ylang-ylang.

Post Thanks / Like

Iris come top of my list.

I think that's an interesting question. I wish I were knowledgeable enough to answer! Usually, the fragrances I keep going back to are the "classier" ones. I think many chypres are pretty classy. Lately anyway. I'll be interested in reading further responses.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    I think that's an interesting question. I wish I were knowledgeable enough to answer!
    Don't for a second think I am purporting to be knowledgeable about the matter! ;D

I have no idea about that kind of stuff either--the last several months, though, I've discovered that ylang-ylang pops up quite a bit in my favorite scents--usually my "classier" ones, most notably in my beloved Tiffany.

Post Thanks / Like

well mixed tuberose

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

what do you guys think of clove?

I find clove overpowering, but I guess it depends on how it's used because I love Chamade and I think it has clove. Also L'air du Temps (I think, but might just be carnation). They were both old favorites of mine. I like to stick my nose in a jar of cloves (also cardamom) but I'm not crazy about dominating spice notes in perfume. It has to be just enough but not too much for me.

Also, agree with tiffanyandco -- it seems some fragrances I consider "classy" have ylang-ylang in them, like Arpege.

Post Thanks / Like

That's one tricky question! *

As first, I find the way one carries the scent to be as important as the scent itself. Take, for instance, a rich, seductive tuberose scent like Fracas - you can easily imagine it on a woman wearing a little black cocktail dress and it being totally appropriate and sexy. Then again, worn at a wrong occasion - like a football match with sneakers and a tank top (not to mention horrors like long fake nails in candy colours) - it can seem pretty vulgar.

Having said that I will agree with Sherrie that chypres in most cases oooze chic and sophistication more than any other family. Can you imagine Chanel 19 or Mitsouko ever being vulgar? Cedric has also a good point with iris - it simply smells expensive and adds certain depth some cheap toilet waters with thinner bases can never attain.

Florals I find to be more classy if powdery (cue iris) rather than with a pronounced, loud and sharp floral note. Think 24, Faubourg - the stuff smells classy, like an expensive silk scarf or the finest powder from a silver tin.

Orientals are perhaps the trickiest, often walking the fine line between sexy and trashy. Maybe this is where the outfit and attitude of the wearer can make the biggest difference. I can imagine orientals like Tabu seeming both terribly vulgar and terribly chic, depending if your style is more Ava Gardner or Victoria Beckham.

Finally, with a few notable exceptions (obvious synthetic ingredients simulating sugary fruits - ouch!) I cannot say that there is one magic ingredient that can make or break classines of a perfume. It is the combination, the proportion of ingredients and art of the perfumer that truly make a difference.

P.S. bottle and branding can also add and subtract to its classy factor, big time!
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the chypres. I always assosiate them with elegance, and that's classy to me.

I also think that aldehydes polish a perfume, and considering the amount of classics containing aldehydes, there might be truth to that. I can wear them only occasionally though.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Default Re: what top or middle notes make a perfume classy?

Bulgarian Rose, jasmine, iris, violet leaf (not synthetic), Neroli

Jasmine and honey notes work for me.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Galbanum in small doses is a beautiful, crisp green and sophisticated top note. Yuzu is very beautiful, a powerful green and flowery citrus note, very rarely used.
    For the middle notes all real flower essences, not the cheapie synth ones. Orange Flower Absolute, Narcissus, Rose Otto, Broom and and and...

My personal two faves are Ylang and Carnation. I also think - not sure why - that Civet adds a touch of class to a fragrance, although I'm guessing that some people are probably of the opinion that it does the opposite!

Leather, galbanum, labdanum, and vetiver all do it for me. I also like tobacco, some aldehydes, and green or herbaceous notes such as sage, chamomile or lavender. Incense works too. As for floral notes, iris always works, as most people have pointed out. Lily, for some reason, has an attitude of deep sensuality and class.

What I would avoid: overly flirty and sweet notes like caramel, pineapple, peony, sweet pea, watermelon, peach, freesia. I like some of these notes quite a bit (you KNOW I love the caramel and peach) but these notes, fun as they are, project a much younger, more relaxed, and more accessible attitude.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Post Thanks / Like

Iris, rose and neroli and lily are classy notes imo.

Quote Originally Posted by tiff;838014s
    I have no idea about that kind of stuff either--the last several months, though, I've discovered that ylang-ylang pops up quite a bit in my favorite scents--usually my classier ones, most notably in my beloved Tiffany.
    I too like Tiffany, and for the reason I'm mentioning:

There is a certain accord - of high quality jasmine and rose - that smells very luxurious to me.
    In mixing essential oils, a high-quality Jasmine smooths, enrichens and adds elegance and femininity to a blend like nothing else. And the combination of jasmine eo and rose eo is beautiful and luxurious.

This is tricky though, as an inferior jasmine can smell thin, cheap and shrill.

It always seems like Tiffany has a good quality jasmine-rose accord at its heart.