Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP!! Frag for girlfriend's b-day?

So, my girlfriend's birthday is on Sunday. I would like one of her gifts to be a perfume. The problem is that she's VERY picky about them. She doesn't exactly have a "refined" nose, but she knows what she likes. I am totally clueless about the world of female fragrance, so I'm begging you lovely ladies for help.

Basically the only thing she wears right now is Dior Addict, and she loves it. So do I, but I would like to get her something that's more suitable for daily wear. She used to have some J-Lo (Glo, or something like that) scent, but it was a gift and she didn't like it. She used it during summer a few years back, but never replaced it when she ran out. Obviously, I will not be getting her another J-Lo perfume :.

Of MY scents, she likes Escada Magnetism, Givenchy Pi Friacheur (both quite sweet) and Bond no. 9 Bleecker Street (a bit more herbal, but still rather sweet) the best. So, considering her approval of my sweeter scents and her beloved Addict, what scents are best for her?...ie, what is a little sweet, but fresh enough for everyday use? I was thinking about CK Euphoria...what do you think?

Thanks a million!

ps. She is turning 21, if that makes a difference.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: HELP!! Frag for girlfriend's b-day?

Lolita Lempicka
    Brit Red
    Armani Mania
    Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm well Angel strikes me as a little heavy for what I'm after, and I have my doubts that the Gingerbread base in Brit red would be her thing.

Actually, both Angel and JPG Classique (if anyone was going to recommend it) are completely out because they are two or our friends' signature scents.

Mania and Lolita I'll have to check out. Thanks!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm tempted to think that you being aware that she is "VERY picky"... is, in fact, your biggest clue!

Maybe setting some time aside to take her shopping for a "new" fragrance would be a great gift! She spends time with you, and you with her... and you know for sure, at the end of the day, that the fragrance that you selected together, was "purrrrrfect". * 8-)

What a wonderful and lovely memory that would be.... *

Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beebee
    I'm tempted to think that you being aware that she is "VERY picky"... is, in fact, your biggest clue!

Maybe setting some time aside to take her shopping for a "new" fragrance would be a great gift! She spends time with you, and you with her... and you know for sure, at the end of the day, that the fragrance that you selected together, was "purrrrrfect". 8-)

What a wonderful and lovely memory that would be....
    8-)But seeing her surprised (and happy, I would hope) face is going to be the best part!!! How about this, I will try to choose something purrrrfect for her, and if for some reason it isn't, THEN I'll take her on a little scent shopping date! It can't fail!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have a very sweet heart!!! * *... and kudos to you for planning ahead! I get the feeling you know exactly what you have up your sleeve for her, and you're right... it should not fail! Good luck... she's a lucky woman! * 8-)
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Hmmm, this might be too common, but how about D&G Light Blue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As a Dior addict lover may I recommend the following to try:

Chopard Casmir - has a similar spiced vanilla bourbon style but slightly lighter and less 'night time'
    Dunhill Desire for a woman - deep vanilla spiced but this time woodier and fresher than Dior Addict so great for day and office wear but complimentary to her current HG
    Dior Addict Eau Fraiche - the lighter, more day friendly edition of Dior addict. More translucent and deeply vanilla but essentially the same scent.
    Boucheron Jaipur Saphir - same theme different ball park (may still be too strong for day) a more fruity floral take on the spiced vanilla, jasmine base accord of addict.
    Chopard Mira Bai - sexy fruity floral spiced vanilla scent.
    Boucheron Initial Very classy and chic, similar to Addict in vanilla spice but less blatant and animalic.
    Dior Dioressence - classic, unique green oriental great all year round.
    Anna Sui Dreams - Kitsch but cute packaging fruity floral vanilla but not too girly.
    Givenchy Organza Indecence - May be better for winter wear but another sexy woody almost boozy spiced 'vanilla' oriental.
    YSL Nu - This is moving into the incense category of scents but still amazing and perfect on the right chemistry. EDT is best for day wear.
    Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon - amazing amerreto note but could be a little cloying.
    Rochas Absolu
    TBS Ananya - soft but potent peach / floral / vanilla perfume oil range. Cheap but lovely.
    Cacheral Gloria - very sexy & special and perfect for day or night wear. Hubby growls over this one and Buffalo_Gal here can testify to the power, complexity and irresistiblity of this scent on the right woman.
    Lolita Lempicka 'L' - new release with good reviews.
    Ralph Lauren Hot - the notes sound amazing but has received many mixed reviews.

Happy Sniffing!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Another Dior Addict lover here! *

Have you smelled Boucheron Trouble? *That might work ...
    I also recommend Ralph Hot. *I don't have it yet, but I gave it a second testing this past weekend, and got several compliments.
    I've never tested Euphoria on the skin, that does have possibilities, though.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

This is occured to me: does the womens' Magnetism smell anything like the mens? Because the mens Magnetism is far and away her favorite on me. Would it at all be good for daily wear?

Thanks so much for all of your responses so far!!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I'd recommend Burberry London, the new one. A wonderful jasmine scent, not cloying and good for everyday wear.
    Dior Addict is a very special scent. It's not only vanillic; it is created around the vanilla-like Queen of the night flower, also Night Cereus, and the only other fragrance I know of containing this note is Pure Turquoise Ralph Lauren. It is a chypre floral, which I find more suitable for the day, than the vanilla-orientals, like Addict. But I have to admit that I haven't smelled it myself as it is not available where I leave.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    This is occured to me: does the womens' Magnetism smell anything like the mens? Because the mens Magnetism is far and away her favorite on me. Would it at all be good for daily wear?

Thanks so much for all of your responses so far!!
    I've never smelled the men's Magnetism, but I enjoy the women's very much. Some people find it extremely sweet, but I don't find it to be too sweet. I think it could be a good choice for your girlfriend; however, I don't know about daily wear or whatever--I don't think of fragrances like that really. I wore Angel today and that is a scent most people consider suitable for fall/winter evenings. One thing about Magnetism, I don't find it to be extremely different or unique. I enjoy it, but it just doesn't "wow" me (very few fragrances do, though).

Another great Escada is Collection. It is a very special scent. Check out some reviews on makeupalley.com to get an idea about Collection. The scent is discontinued but can usually be found online somewhere. I got mine a few months ago.

Just an FYI--after I posted the info on Magnetism and Collection, I decided to spritz some Magnetism on my left upper arm and some Collection on my right to refresh my memory on these scents better. That was like, 12 hours ago and I can still smell both! Great lasting power. Other observations: I might have sold Magnetism a bit short--it actually has a very interesting development--greenish/sweetish (think Pink Sugar with freshness). And Collection is just fantastic--every level of it is unique. I haven't worn either one of these in a while, but it looks like that will soon change! Both are highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news! I went with Euphoria. A tiny bit spicy, sweet, floral, but, I think, wearable during the day. I LOVE that stuff and can't stop smelling my card.

I think Euphoria is one of those I'll have to revisit, like Hypnotic Poison, because of all the good things people say about it on the boards.

I almost vommed all over when I smelled Hypnotic Poison at Sephora a few years ago. I still have not been able to bring myself to try it again. Such a shame too, because I love the other three Poisons. I feel the same way about Euphoria. I have a sample of it now--guess maybe I should give it another chance. Quite a few of my favorite scents made it into my collection after a couple of tries. Granted, most of them I did not have quite the same strong reaction to as I did HP and Euphoria, but who knows?

I hope your gf likes the present. Keep us posted!

Post Thanks / Like

It's kinda weird...I feel I should think Euphoria is too heavy, but for some reason, it seem like it is very wearable to me. It's very creamy and thick smelling, but i think the florals and spice offset it just enough to make it wearable...which is perfect because she likes heavier and sweeter scents, but she should be able to wear Euphoria more casually than Addict. If she likes it that is.

Anyway, I hope I made the right choice. The SA was REALLY trying to get me to get Armani Code and Vera Wang, neither of which I liked at ALL. It was between Euphoria, Amor Amor (liked, but it didn't last at all), and Ralph Hot. I'm happy with the choice.

;D >
    How about Chanel Gardenia or Lovely, both are so nice :-* ;D