Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Your mother's fragrance?

My mother never wore perfume, when I was a child.. no money for luxury. Now she wears whatever I give her.. she says: " Ohh that smells WONDERFUL" even before she has a chance to smell it. Honestly.. I think all scents smell just the same to her.. ´not just before she is a haevy smoker.. but because she totally lacks the interest.

I am honored that so many of you wrote and shared your personal memories of your moms and their perfumes. Thank you.

It's funny because now that I think about it, my mother didn't often use that bottle of Arpege (or her bottle of Miss Dior which had that cute little black and white houndstooth band on the neck)), but it stayed on her dresser top just looking pretty. But she wore Norell, Tabu, Ambush, Intimate, Charlie, Jontue (note the number of Revlon scents - we had a relative working for them at the time). I think I used her Jontue so often that she finally just gave me the bottle. That fragrance was one of my first loves. I did wear Norell for awhile, and loved how it made me feel sophisticated and older. The bottle was interested - an octagon.

There was another scent she used, the name of which I can't remember, but it came in a solid form, in a little metal box. It was warm and exotic - could it have been Tabu or another spicy one she loved? My mother would dab her finger into it and then of course place it behind her ears. I used to sit on her bed watching her get dressed up to go out for the night with my father, and thought the whole experience oh so elegant.

Again, thank you.
    Later on she gravitated towards Givenchy - especially Ysatis and Givenchy III. She was never a soft floral kind of woman, but strong and modern, which I now admire about her, even though she passed away far too young many years ago.

My mother visited me this week and she wore Shalimar every day. As I kid I remember her having Emeraude, My Sin, Arpege, Norell, Fidgi, Inoui, and White Linen.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    Jontue

Well, I'm a little tardy in joining the discussion, but I thought I would offer my mom's perfume. This is the only fragrance my mother has ever been able to wear. She has asthma, and most perfumes are too much for her now. But when she was younger and getting dressed up to go somewhere, she would wear Jontue.

My mother had three standybys: Chanel No. 5, Vivara by Emilio Pucci and Millot's Crepe de Chine. I can't wear No. 5, in fact can't wear aldehydes at all well, and I think it's the association. That's her smell. I do love the other two, sadly discontinued.

My mother, rest her soul, wore L'air du Temps throughout my childhood. She always was ecstatic when I would purchase her another bottle. Though I believe that the formula has been altered for more than 10 years, there remains a sufficient likeness that I am flooded with memories when I smell this now.

Jeff

The ones I remember are Woodhue, Jungle Gardenia, and White Shoulders. The only one I liked of the three was Woodhue.

Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by RubyinParadise
    The ones I remember are Woodhue, Jungle Gardenia, and White Shoulders. *The only one I liked of the three was Woodhue. *

Ruby
    What does Woodhue smell like? I noticed that The Vermont Country store is now carrying it, along with some other vintage fragrances, but as with most of them, I have no idea what the scent is truly like.

I am growing up to be like my mom. im 24, she died when i was twelve and i still remember the perfumes she wore and still has on her drawer. ( which i did not throw away, scentimental me.)

estee lauder's *Youth Dew & White Linen
    Arden's Red Door

I miss my mom.

"Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

My mom has worn Shalimar everyday, for every occasion since she was 13 yrs old (she's now 58). I think the idea of this is really cool and romantic but there are way too many good scents out there for me to stick with only one. I tried Shalimar once when I visited her and didn't bring any perfume. It smelled totally different on me and I didn't like it because I am used to it the way it smells on her skin.

Quote Originally Posted by ninamichaela
    I am growing up to be like my mom. im 24, she died when i was twelve and i still remember the perfumes she wore and still has on her drawer. ( which i did not throw away, scentimental me.)

estee lauder's *Youth Dew & White Linen
    Arden's Red Door

I miss my mom.

Oh honey, I completely understand and you are so young still. My mother died young too and I remember how all of her clothes, her jewelry, I mean everything, just smelled like her and reminded me of her. I still have an old jewelry box of my mother's that I take out on those really bad days when having mom is what you need the most, and just i-n-h-a-l-e. It brings her right back to me, although the emotions can sometimes be overwhelming.

Enjoy her perfumes and treasure your memories. I'll be thinking of you on Mother's Day next week.

Blog Entries

My mother didn't and doesn't wear perfume. But she said she liked L'Air du Temps (which she once got for Christmas and wore until it lasted) and Chanel no 5. She still has some EdT I gave her in 1986... :

Can't stand L'Air du Temps (it makes me sneeze violently) and I still don't feel "grown-up enough" for Chanel no 5. I certainly didn't inherit my passion for perfume from my mother! ;D
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

My mother usually wore Joy, which I love. My dad used to give it to her as a gift.

Lately she has been wearing Obsession, which I have been trying to wean her of. I can't stand it. I took her into the Caron boutique in Paris, and she didn't like anything, except maybe N'aimez que Moi a little.

I guess I'll just have to get her a bottle of Joy, since my dad died, and her supply has run out.

My mother wore Joy, Bandit and Fracas.

Just not at once.