Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a carnation scent

I love fresh carnations, but realize that there are two basic scents. One is a quite spicy, almost clove scent (often found with some red or even white carnations), but the other is a fresh, sweet scent - no clove. I mostly find this with pink or yellow carnations, and some white ones.

Can anyone recommend a fragrance with the sweet carnation scent, not the spicy clove one? L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci always strikes me as the spicy carnation scent, so I'm looking for the opposite.

Thanks!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for a carnation scent

Take a sniff of Demeter's Wet Garden and/or Flower Show. Both have been compared to the scent that comes from opening a florist's refrigerator door.

http://demeterfragrance.com/
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Well not sure what you'll think of it, but I'd try Bellogia by Caron. I love it. My humble appologies if that's not your cup of tea though

Best wishes on your search

The richness of the Caron cuts the spiciness. In any event, it's nothing like the synthetic CDG carnation.

I second the Bellodgia

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Take a sniff of Demeter's Wet Garden and/or Flower Show. Both have been compared to the scent that comes from opening a florist's refrigerator door.

http://demeterfragrance.com/
    Demeter's "Funeral Home" is also predominantly fresh carnation.

I third the Bellodgia! [smiley=grin.gif] You j [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]You just can't go wrong with Caron, the purist of perfumers.

I don't find Bellogia particulary soft, the carnation is rather spicy. :-?

I read somewhere that Bellogia was the inspiration for L'Air du Temps.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    I don't find Bellogia particulary soft, the carnation is rather spicy. *:-?

It depends on the strength. The eau de cologne splash is soft. The edt spray is spicy. The genuine parfum dries down to a powdery softness.

I read somewhere that Bellogia was the inspiration for L'Air du Temps.
    I believe you are right. I was a LDT wearer for years, then it was suggested that I try the Bellodgia and I actually came to prefer that over LDT. LDT was good for me when I much younger. But somehow, you tend to grow "out" of a fragrance once you reach a certain age. [smiley=wink.gif]

What do you think of Kenzo's Flower? to me it smells like carnations/vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    I love fresh carnations, but realize that there are two basic scents. *One is a quite spicy, almost clove scent (often found with some red or even white carnations), but the other is a fresh, sweet scent - no clove. *I mostly find this with pink or yellow carnations, and some white ones.

Can anyone recommend a fragrance with the sweet carnation scent, not the spicy clove one? * L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci always strikes me as the spicy carnation scent, so I'm looking for the opposite.

Thanks!
    Hmm, I have wondered why we have the same word for clove and carnation in swedish. I must go and smell a carnation.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful suggestions. I will enjoy sampling them all and let you know if I find a keeper.

Incidentally, I know Demeter has some odd fragrance names, but Funeral Home was just a joke, right?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    Thanks for all of the thoughtful suggestions. *I will enjoy sampling them all and let you know if I find a keeper.

Incidentally, I know Demeter has some odd fragrance names, but Funeral Home was just a joke, right?
    No joke. Gotta admire their irreverence.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Hi Herb Lady!

If you are still looking, may I suggest the following:

Comme des Garcons (original) EDT / EDC
    Dana Chantilly
    Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau D'ete
    (the summer versions)
    Jean Patou Normandie

HTH

Happy Sniffing!

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Hi Herb Lady!

If you are still looking, may I suggest the following:

Comme des Garcons (original) EDT / EDC
    Dana Chantilly
    Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau D'ete
    (the summer versions)
    Jean Patou Normandie

HTH

Happy Sniffing! *

Oh, I'm definitely still in the market! Any and all suggestions are always welcome. I do know that for whatever reason, though, that Chantilly won't work for me. My aunt used to wear it (the only scent she could that didn't aggravate her allergies), but I never really loved it. But I'd still like to try it again, just in case.

Lauren by Lauren and for a spicier carnation the vintage Blue Carnation, which I love for those warm, romantic summer nights. :P ;D
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

I have a sample vile of Lorenzo Villoresi's Garofano, a floral blend with carnation being the star player. *It is a gorgeous scent with great sillage, $65 at Luscious Cargo, but since I have and adore Caron's Bellodgia, I'm not sure another carnation fragrance is warranted. *No doubt though, a purchase will occur during one of my 'middle of the night' impulsive buys.

Nantucket Natural Oils (http://www.nantucketnaturaloils.com/) has 'Soft Carnation' for $18, a soliflore, which I think would be a soothing 'home alone' sniffer or great for layering. *Carnation is one of my favorite flower scents as long as it isn't heavy laden with clove.

Well, I'm off to Nantucket. *I will give an update on its beauty or lack thereof.

JAG

A sample vile? Oh jeez! Try sample vial.

Bellodgia by Caron

Hello Herb Lady

I myself LOVE Bellodgia by Caron and well it's not all that spicy on me... it's like there is this gentleness in it too... maybe something like baby oil with a sweet, slightly spicy Pink carnation... carnations of my childhood... my grandmother used to have the most wonderful flower gardens and these tiny little pink carnation heads would rise up their heads to greet me every morning... Ohh how I used to love her gardens...

But back to Bellodgia... The first time I sampled it..... I had an overwhelming feeling that this would be a perfect fragrance for those in child-care and health-care fields... Bellodgia is soothing and could make anyone feel better ... It's an amazing carnation scent, spicy but warm and very feminine... I've never smelled anything like this before.... so very soothing so balanced - there's a slight powderiness to it and somehow a very nice scent of baby-oil sneaks in there too (that's the part that makes it so soothing)... and yet there's something on a totally different level that speaks of darkness and mystery juxtaposed with the innocent baby-oil scent... something that some kind of immortal goddess would only wear... a pretty amazing fragrance I have to say.... So far Caron does not disappoint me!

Best of luck!!!! and let us know, if you end up testing Bellodgia what you think of it

"Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

i love bellodgia and garofano by villoresi :P :P :P

JAR's Golconda smells like a flower shop where fresh carnations are predominant. Given its awfully high price, I would suggest you try DSH dupe of Golconda....regrettably the name eludes me now...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno
    The richness of the Caron cuts the spiciness. *In any event, it's nothing like the synthetic CDG carnation. *
    Fresno, what is "CDG carnation"? Is that a fragrance name or fragrance house perhaps?

I like Comme des Garcons Carnation but LOVE Floris Malmaison.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman
    I like Comme des Garcons Carnation but LOVE Floris Malmaison.
    Got it! Thanks for the info.

I love carnation.

Regarding Bellodgia:
    (1) Is the EDT or EDP better?
    (2) Can a guy pull it off?
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Herb Lady,
    I am surprised you find l'Air du Temps to be all that spicy. To me it's a very soft carnation scent... More like clove pink rather than the spice... And Bellodgia is the only other scent I can recommend.
    By the way, I LURVE carnation scented soaps. Roger et Gallet has a fabulous one (which I use to scent clothes for years now) and my other favourite is Maja by myurgia - in both the soap and the powder. I really wish they didn't change the formula for the Maja perfume. It now smells more fruity than carnation. This used to be my favourite carnatinon scent... Thanks goodness they didn't change the scent of the soap and powder though!
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent
    What do you think of Kenzo's Flower? to me it smells like carnations/vanilla
    yes yes, I agree
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Smile Re: Looking for a carnation scent

My favorite is Sacrebleu by Patricia de Nicolai. It is essentially clove free to my nose, not too powdery and uber lovely. I also have a decant of LV Garofano, which is a bit spicier but not not clove heavy, IMO. I find the Floris Malmaison decant to be the most spicy of the three, and quite masculine (remember, I'm a girly-girl....)

I've not tried the Caron spoken of, but I wish I could.....I'll have to add that to my little list of things to sniff.
    Last edited by Shycat; 8th October 2006 at 02:39 AM.

I have to second Lorenzo Villoresi's Garofano. I love carnation and this one just knocked me out. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    By the way, I LURVE carnation scented soaps. Roger et Gallet has a fabulous one (which I use to scent clothes for years now)
    I got the Roger & Gallet soap today; it is a lot spicier than I would have expected. I think it is milled seven times. I may be used to my perfume oil or the carnation in Tabac Original (I think this is one mens frag with the carnation amp'd up) which is not so spicy.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Bourbon French's Mon Idee
    Bellodgia
    Voile D'Ete

All lovely, Mon Idee is the strongest of these.

I used to like Mary Chess Carnation

Herb Lady,
    I am surprised you find l'Air du Temps to be all that spicy. To me it's a very soft carnation scent...
    ditto!

By the way, I LURVE carnation scented soaps. Roger et Gallet has a fabulous one
    when will they be coming up with this in edt? i am waiting and waiting!