Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Teaser # 40 (new)

Les Nuits d'Hadrien?
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Ohhh and since I was probably wrong with my first guess... Deep Night by Ghost... can I give it another try? with":

Annick Goutal Songes perhaps?

Pretty bottle nevertheless with jasmine in the opening notes ...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Teaser # 39 (solved)

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf
    High on the mountain peak
    Infinity in all directions.
    This solitary moon looks down
    Admiring its reflections in the icy pond.

In fragrant mist of clear moonlight
    An old cypress stands,
    Glistening with raindrops
    Of ghostly gorges. *

Burning bamboo smoke vanishes...
    The swallows gathering herbs remember
    Brocade carpet of homeland jasmine
    That must be in bloom.

Sunlight bright sighs
    About midnight rain.
    Who cares what the answer is? This is gorgeous poetry! It would also be wonderful to hear it performed as voice-over for a fragrance commercial.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Teaser # 39 (solved)

Who cares what the answer is? This is gorgeous poetry! It would also be wonderful to hear it performed as voice-over for a fragrance commercial.[/quote]

Honestly - I thought the same thing! This is really beautiful. Timberwolf, you're an amazing writer.

I am humbled by your kindest words. The pleasure is all mine, honest! :-*

A voice behind the commercial or as placed right next to the picture of the fragrance in a glossy magazine... The fragrance has never had much advertisement, what a pity! In this little poem I tried to capture its spirit. Well, all of them riddles are attempted to...

Nobody is even close with their guesses. My gut feeling is, however, that one of you is working in the right direction, though.

Clue: Look at the very top of this Ridd Le.

Default Re: Teaser # 40 (clue)

L'Heure Bleue?

"Infini" by Caron?
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Beautifully written, Timberwolf!
    The settings sound far east. China? And the poem sounds inspired by old chinese poetry adn Shakespearian sonnets. Ridd Le?
    No..I don´t have any guesses *:-/ I am just fishing for more clues. *

Fragonard Belle de Nuit? :-?

Vinterdroppe, you read me like an open book!

Thanks to everybody for not giving up, dears! :-*

After Les yeux du Dragon can it be Le baisier du Dragon? : :-?

Pure Moment by Sung?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Or Lailia by geir ness?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

No, no and no. Sorry, guys, remember I said it was not going to be an easy one... Neither the designer, nor the fragrance has been guessed so far. On the other hand, to be totally fair, a part of the fragrance name has been mentioned.

It is in the Directory, but without the description, reviews or notes. As if it helps any... :-X

Heure Exquise or L'Heure Magique? Hmmmmmm.

I keep reading this because I love that description so much. I can't wait to find out what inspired that beautiful poem.

Thank you for your being patient. I did more research on the net, and let me tell you, did not come up with much information. The designer seems to be an evasive persona, whose fragrances were mostly released in the late 80s and 90's.

This fragrance in the riddle is floral oriental, with no info about it on osMoz or ScentDirect, although it still can be purchased through a number of e-tailers for about 35 dollars for 50 ml and 80 dollars for 100 ml. Not through Scentiments.com. though. Most online stores offer it as a tester, without the box.

"Brocade carpet" would be the best description of the box.

Default Re: Teaser # 40 (more clues)

With this latest clue, some googling and a little peek into Timberwolfs own wardrobe (is that cheating? *:-[ ), my next guess would be Bleu de Chine by Marc de la Morandiere?

Default Re: Teaser # 40 (more clues)

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe
    With this latest clue, some googling and a little peek into Timberwolfs own wardrobe.(is that cheating? :-[ ), my next guess would be Bleu de Chine by Marc de la Morandiere?
    Bleu's Clues. ;D ;D ;D So, they were helpful, weren't they? You got it!

Default Re: Teaser # 40 (solved)

So, congratulations to Vinterdroppe and big thank yous to everybody following this one.

Who is Marc de la Morandiere? Perhaps, a nose bored with contract work and releasing fragrances under an assumed name? A real person, a visionary, who like Jules Verne, never left his hometown, yet traveled around the world in his imagination? I heard him being nick-named Voyageur Eternel. If he is a designer, where are his collections and boutiques? If he is nobody, why are his fragrances so not cheap? (for around the same amount of money, one can buy, say, 100 ml of D'Orsay Tilleul) I do not know the answers to any of these questions, if you do, please share.

Bleu de Chine (1987), according to several sources, contains the notes of:
    Top: Jasmine, tuberose, coriander, thyme;
    Heart: Rose, oakwood, lily of the valley;
    Base: Musk, vanilla, incense.

(As Ms. Vinterdroppe noticed, it is on my "to test" list, and I am already testing some of them, like Mila Schon and this one. Need to get it updated, lazy me! Anyhow, the following is an uncharted territory, so please do not laugh at my another clumsy attempt to describe this fragrance. It is going to be honest, too!)

It starts very herbal, and I cannot really identify what it is, but it reminds me of lemongrass and anise with a touch of melissa. Trust me, I can smell coriander and cilantro very well, but it is simply non-existing here! Not a very green smell though, it is more like fermented herbs. After about 20 minutes I can tell jasmine, it is cool, sparkling, transparent and a little sharp, like a crystal. And then an unusual fresh note emerges out of the blue -- out of the Bleu :-?-- and it is not ozonic or marine or galbanum, it is more like a smell of freshly peeled tree-bark, dry and fresh and juicy at the same time. Jasmine still stays, but it is on the background now. After about 1 hour, the tree bark (is it oakwood or what?) smell becomes more rounded and higher pitched, a bit incensy, but not exactly "burning wood", that is why I wrote "burning bamboo". Along with it, there is something slightly sweet and flowery light going on, on the vanilla side, but again, not exactly vanillic. Like another flower whose name I do not know. It lasts about 7-8 hours, and the clothes still smell the next day. Sorry, the description turned out vague.

The bottle was designed by Serge Mansau and it is inspired by ancient Chinese blue cobalt vases. There are miriads of tiny sparks ("glistening with raindrops&quot in this blue glass. The box looks like a fortune cookie container with square swirls in bright and dark blue ("brocade carpet&quot and bright red lettering.

Thank you very much for reading this, I know it is not that exciting, but again, it is an uncharted territory. If you tried Bleu de Chine or MdlM's other fragrances (Sissi or La Plage are available), please let me know, I would be interested in reading your thoughts.

Have a good weekend!

I get excited as a child when I have managed to solve one of these *
    (For a while there I was looking for fragrances named after chinese mountains *[smiley=grin.gif] I found some tea blends instead, and an oil)

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf
    Thank you very much for reading this, I know it is not that exciting, but again, it is an uncharted territory.
    You are a great reviewer, Wolf, and it´s always exciting to read. These teasers, together with the old "same name game" have got me interested in so many perfumes, and they have expanded my "miniature to get"-list. (Paco Rabanne La Nuit and Rochas Byzance are two examples). Bleu de Chine sounds beautiful, and especially after that poem.

Looking forward to see what comes next

Thank you! The pleasure is all mine. Really. And for everybody else, please remember that Ms.Vinterdroppe guessed Tentations de Paloma Picasso and La Perla Io -- "the beautiful white cow" -- in the past, too (comes from my Profiler's Datura Noir). ;D Congratulations again, and please stay tuned.

This one is not very difficult, I suppose, to put you all in a good mood for the week. Dedicated to a Basenoter who is a real treasure. :-*

Riddle # 41.

Every woman is an island
    With her waters, climate, moods,
    Lowlands, and hills, and highlands,
    Fragrant flowers and woods.
    This one has ylang and rose,
    White carnation, musk and moss,
    Vetiver, patchouli. Prose...
    Not poetic punch or sauce.
    It's intense, and yet, not stuffy,
    It's not pompous, yet spry.
    Every woman is an island...
    Well, until she finds her guy!

Good luck and please stay in good spirits!

Default Re: Teaser # 41 (new)

I think I'll take my chances and go with Guy Laroche Fidji....
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess Dreams
    I think I'll take my chances and go with Guy Laroche Fidji....
    This riddle reminded me instantly of a gorgeous Linda Evangelista in her 20's with teh advertising campaign saying

"La femme est une île, et Fidji est son parfum"

So I guess Goddess might be right...

Doesn't it make you feel good? Everybody is correct, Goddess Dreams is a winner, and the scent in question is not your tropical punch cocktail, thank you, ;D but Guy Laroche Fidji (1966) with the notes of:
    Top: Hyacinth, lemon, bergamot;
    Heart: Carnation, ylang ylang, orris, jasmine, rose;
    Base: Vetiver, musk, moss, sandalwood, patchouli.

The nose behind Fidji is Josephine Catapano and the bottle was designed by Serge Mansau.

One technical correction: "Well, until she finds her guy!" is true, but Laroche's name is not rhyming with "guy", rather, it is rhyming with "see", like (gh-ee)!

Thank you for your continuing support and interest.

Default Re: Teaser # 41 (solved)

Timberwolfie your riddles are amazing... most of them I cannot figure out .... But I truly enjoy nevertheless!!!

You are an amazing poet

THANK YOU!!!!!

Salvador Dali

Default Re: Teaser # 41 (solved)

Thank you for your attention and kind words of support.

Riddle # 42.

Coup d'Etat occurred in spring,
    Three-leaf clover was its king.
    Sharp, medicinal artemisia beginning,
    Metal aldehydes a-spinning,
    And neroli screaming "Winning!",
    Poisonous and herbal sting.

Mossy woods were full of them,
    Crystal bells on fragile stems.
    Amber and civet, and castoreum, and leather,
    Blended seamlessly together
    And reminding of raw weather...
    Ace of Clubs launched real gem!

Good luck and please stay in good spirits! I will too!

Default Re: Teaser # 42 (new)

Zibeline?

Sorry, no, not Weil.

Can it be Bellodgia? :

Hmmmm just another guess but is it Aramis.... maybe even Yatagan?

Salvador Dali

Thank you for the efforts, my darlings. :-*

No, not Caron. I am not familiar with the whole range of Carons, but the ones that I have tried are not in my top 50. I do not want to sound harsh, and I definitely appreciate their history, however I have not found "my" Caron as of yet. Maybe they just do not make fragrances that fit me. I do not know. And of course, I need to try more!

Not Aramis which I love dearly.

Clue: Coup d'Etat I am referring to occurred in the 60's, and it is not necessarily connected with the perfume history. I am also thinking of going to the original riddle and changing "Sharp and citrucy" to "Sharp, medicinal", which it is.

Default Re: Teaser # 42 (clues)

Bandit?

"an essemse of rebellion"...
    I wish I new how Ace of Clubs and clover fits into it. Did you fall in love with it on St.Patrick's Day? ;D

Oh sorry, haven't seen your post, Timberwolf.
    Bandit is too old.

It's cool, Audrey, don't worry! You were able to figure out its chypre character though. Big plus. :-X

Ok, another try...
    When thinking of a 60s revolution not necessarily connected to perfumes, I must think of Mary Quant with her minis.
    Any chance it's Havoc? I couldn't find the notes, but it's similar to Chanel 19, and that would fit the description in many parts, too.

Though I believe to have understood which particularly "hot" spring are you referring during the 60's I don't recall the link with any fragrance... also the ace of clubs is still a mystery.... :-?

Timberwolf, how about this:

(Russisch Leder by Farina Gegenuber) :-?

Everybody is correct, nice research job, fragrance-detectives! The closest guess deserves 7.5 out of 10, although the scent in question has not been mentioned yet.

Not to keep anyone confused more than we already are: in the Directory, it has a pink Venus symbol right next to it, i.e. the designer is/was targeting women. There are no fragrance notes for this one shown in the Directory. Keep up the good job! :-*

Paco Rabanne Calandre?
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Hi there, could it be Rapture by Avon?

Courreges Empreinte?

The notes call to mind Cabochard... but I can't make any of the connections in the hints, LOL! I can't WAIT to find out about this one.

I'm getting so anxious to find about this one myself Tovah but now that you mention Cabochard I can see that too!

Wrong year....

Miss Balmain?

We have a winner! Would anyone care to elaborate why they think their solution is one and only?

Clue: there is leather with hyacinth (Trussardi), leather with roses (many), leather with violets (Jolie Madam). This one is leather with everything white: of course them tiny crystal bells on fragile stems from mossy woods are lilies of the valley!

Default Re: Teaser # 42 (solved, almost)

Cabochard?

Default Re: Teaser # 42 (solved, almost)

Thank you guys for your interest.

Not Cabochard, Tovah, but you are the winner anyway with Couture Future father, Ace of Clubs (his initials plus look at his logo if you got a chance!) Andre Courreges Empreinte, released in spring of 1971. The inventor of a mini-skirt and go-go boots, and a few more fashion innovations, is famous for his use of white color. The nose behind Empreinte is Robert Gonnon. There were also Sweet Courreges, Courreges in Blue and 2020, but Empreinte was his first and his best.

So very hard to find, but mis-spelling its name while looking for it on Ebay might help.

Default Re: Teaser # 42 (solved)

Sorry, I was not posting much this last week, partly because of that terrible 100F heat :P, I suppose. Well, it cooled down some, so on with the teasers!

An easy one?

Riddle # 43.

Did he really have to go?
    Did he really have to flee?
    From my songs enchanting flow,
    From my aqua eyes grand prix.

From abundant plums and pears,
    Raspberries, patchouli, musk.
    Sans souci is gone. Who cares?
    Sunset. Then heart-rending dusk...

Good luck and please stay in good spirits!

Default Re: Teaser # 43 (new)

Hello dear Timberwolf!

Is that what you call easy?!

I guess I have to fish for clues...I think this scent is discontinued. A FiFi winner? Tell me if I'm rude :-X :-*

Sanssouci is a rococco palace in Potsdam.
    Rococo by Joop!?
    Rocobarocco?

Thank you for your interest again. FiFi -- no, Joop! (once so dear to me, in a blue box) -- no, discontinued -- no because it was released as a limited edition.

Colors of the box and the bottle are mentioned in the riddle.

Sans Souci Garten is a nice place, but here I used the phrase more figuratively, like "carefree", "without a worry".

Default Re: Teaser # 43 (clues)

Ungaro Apparition?

Nope.

Ok, another clue: the lady with the beautiful aqua-colored eyes and singing enchanting songs. And boy, she must hate every single thing about Hermes! :-X *khm khm*

Hmmmm. Balkis?

Was launched about the same time as this PdN, but has more of a carefree "Mr. Talliman tally me banana" mood to it. :-X

Reference to Hermes (not Hermès) points to Greek mythology.
    But there is another hint "she must hate every single thing about Hermes!" and Hermes is not known to have had many adversaries, especially not among women.
    So, let's see:
    "singing enchanting songs" would point us to Sirens (Aglaiphona, Telksepeia, Pesinoia or Molpa) but there is no connection to Hermes.

So might it be then Carthusia Ligea la Sirena?
    or Barbie Sirena (2004)?

Other Greek mythology linked scents launched about the same time as Balkis (2003):
    - Hesperide (Patyka) 2003 - but they should be mad at Hercules, not Hermes
    - Calypso (one of vesions by Christianne Chelle) 2001-2002 - connected to Odysseus, not Hermes, although - Odysseus has fled from her in the end so it works well with the first part of the riddle
    - Chymara (Body Shop) 2004- Hymera - a monster, but her adversary is Belerofont
    - Echo Woman (Davidoff) 2004 - a nymph, but she is mute so she surely cannot sing and should blame Hera, not Hermes for that
    - Daphne (but she hates Apolo, not Hermes)

You are almost there, Levannah! The name of the scent was mentioned, but not the right company. It was mythological Hermes (not the French one) dispatched to the rescue! :-*

Thank you for your efforts!

Calypso/Lollipop by Lancome?
    (launched 2004)

Calypso Ambre by Calypso Christiane Celle
    Can it be the right nymph?
    However I still cannot see the connection with god Hermes... :