Code of Conduct

Default Question about En Passant

Today I received a spray decant of En Passant in a swap (not on this board) and the liquid in the spray decant is a peach-orange color. When I spray it, it smells like En Passant, but I have two other decants of En Passant, an FM 3 ml. refill bottle of En Passant, and I bought a 100 ml. En Passant at Barney's today. ;D Yay!...but the liquid in all these bottles is clear. Is there another edition/concentration of En Passant that is peachy-orange colored? I can't find any current info.(FM website, Barney's) about an edition in this color, but maybe in the past one was released?

Default Re: Question about En Passant

It sounds to me as if it's started to turn. Use it quick. In the meantime, keep your other bottles in a cool dark place.

Thanks. That's what I thought. It smells like the other En Passants (I haven't put the liquid from this decant on my skin yet because I'm wearing Narcisse Noir) but it smells too "right" to be a dupe. I can't imagine anyone being able to replicate this fragrance easily! When the color turns does it mean the fragrance will go bad quickly?

It's a sign that the scent has started to turn and will continue to go off. The top notes are probably already off or gone. And I'm going to change my advice; given that even though it's recognizable the scent has started to change, why not toss the decant and enjoy your huge gorgeous new bottle?

I have several decants of this and they range in color from clear, to amber to bright red. They all smell exactly alike. This has been discussed on another board and one of the members there took it upon herself to contact Tiphaine at Malle's because she bought her bottle from them directly and it started to change color right away. Tiphaine wrote back and explained that one of the ingredients does change color very quickly but the color alone wouldn't indicate that the fragrance was "turning".
    The swapper should have mentioned it first though.
    If you plan to toss it, toss it my way .

Thank you for the help! I'm wearing it now, and it smells all right. The one in the new bottle seems to smell "stronger" so the decant may be slightly past its prime; but it's still fine as a purse spray for touch-ups. I think the color change thing is fascinating, in a weird sort of way. These little elixirs we love so much are really very complicated things! I just love every drop of this fragrance.

A funny thing happened yesterday. My mother and step-dad visited me this week. They live in Phoenix and they haven't been here (SoCal) since November. Yesterday was actually a nice, sunny day, so we all sat outside in my garden. My mother inhaled the air and said "The air here smells so fresh!" Then she walked around and sniffing my roses (my Gertrude Jekyll is picture-perfect ) and sniffing my citrus trees, and inhaling the air some more. She finally sniffed her way right up to me and inhaled the air around my neck. "It's you!" she exclaimed, "Not the air!" She explained that she thought she'd been smelling lilac bushes, so she'd been trying to figure out which plant was emanating the scent of lilac. She and my step-dad thought I smelled like fresh air and lilac