Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Your recommendations for soft, soft floral please

Looking at my wardrobe like a spectrum, there is still something missing down at the softest end, and I know just what I'm looking for: a scent like the recently discontinued (of course) Pre de Provence peony soap. Guerlain's Pivoine Magnifica was close, but it has a grapefruit top note and zero lasting power.

I'm talking soft, soft, soft floral. A soliflore is okay, although I could imagine some sandalwood in there.

Not green, not sharp, not refreshing.
    Not baby powder, not musky, not fruity.
    Not spicey, not woody, not candy sweet.

From reading MUA reviews, Estee Lauder Beautiful Sheer could be it. Have you tried it? What else should I be checking out? Thank you, my dears.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Your recommendations for soft, soft floral ple

Beautiful is tricky. In any form. I believe.

I have two suggestions:
    1) Crabtree and Evelyn scents, like Sonoma Valley, Wisteria, Summer Hill, Veranda. Some people complain that the lasting power is not very good, but it has never been a problem with my skin!
    2) Wait until the "softest" Basenoter Elysium checks this thread, she is in New Zealand, though. She knows!

Good luck!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf
    Wait until the "softest" Basenoter Elysium checks this thread, she is in New Zealand, though. She knows!
    Timberwolf, The Profiler--Probably has a dossier on each and every one of us! * ;D
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

;D Yeah, right! La Dossier comes in pink-and-black, called Agent Provocateur. ;D

Seriously, I remember many moons ago she was looking for the notes in one of Gilles Cantuel's fragrances, and we all agreed that she is "the softest". :-)

How about Annick Goutals?

Hi Quarry !!! I feel a call to arms for soft floral lovers !!!

Noa Fleur might be worth trying. top: Black currant, coriander leaf
    mid: Bulgarian Rose, Hibiscus, nutmeg, white peony
    base: Musks, benzoin
    I don't have it but I recall it being a soft floral and it has a peony note.

Also, Flower by Kenzo top: Bulgarian rose, wild hawthorn, Cassie, palma Violets
    mid: Opopanax, white musk
    base: Hedione, cyclosal
    This one has the cassie note you like! And in the reviews, calchic says the parfum in the red bottle twines in amber (which you like) and an almond note. I have the EdP in the clear bottle, and it's soft.

My favorite is Rose Essentielle with notes of pink prelude rose, blackberry, violets leaves, living mimosa, jasmine sambac, patchouli, gaiacwood. I fear this one would say baby powder to you, but its worth a try!! I have it three bottles deep.

I wish I could be more help!!! I saw the peony scent at Bath and Body works and thought of you and your peony search.

Good luck, my dear. I hope some non-rose fanatic person will answer, too! [smiley=wink.gif]

Please, spritz responsibly.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf
    How about Annick Goutals?
    There's something, hmmm, shall I say soapy or high-pitched about them that makes me rock back on my heels trying to keep the fragrance from hitting the back of my throat. I get the same sensation from Alfred Sung products. Light does not always equate to soft. Alas.

Keep them ideas comin'!

Hermes Hiris

I find Joy to be very soft-soft, at least on me.

bonni

"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Quote Originally Posted by bonni
    I find Joy to be very soft-soft, at least on me.
    Uh oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    I've told this story once before I think, but when I first got to spritz Joy it was with such hope in my heart because my name is Joy. The aldehydes promptly placed two figurative thumbs on my throat and began to throttle me. I trotted out to the fountain in front of the EPCOT French Pavillion perfumery and performed a surgical scrub in front of all the tourists. The combination of dashed hopes and public humiliation has probably made any relationship with this frag irretrievable.
    I was having trouble picturing a woman, naked except for the yamika-with-ears thingy, splashing around in a fountain.

Until I checked your dossier.

Petit Guerlain? If you feel figurative thumbs on your throat - hop in the shower because the only fountain around here is in 'downtown' Wauwatosa. I suppose you could splash around in the river. Let me get my camcorder.

What about Paris Eau de Printemps series? They are very soft, but they are very rosy,too.

I haven't tried them, but Florascent flower scents look promising. Have a look at
    http://www.alegria-naturkosmetik.de/...r%20Damen.html

L'Occitane Eau de 4 Reines is a soft rosey scent, but it might be that you already have that one.

Lacoste Pour Femme is soft floral with some woods underneath. I really like this one, the composotion itself is sort of spicey, but it stays so close to the skin and wrapps you in a tender veil. Really soft romantic to me

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I like your ideas, gals, and I'm jotting them down.

Mission Sprays: Daughter and I are heading back to Disney World in May, and I plan to spend days in the fragrance shops (with breaks for Mission Space and Soarin' and staring transfixed at the jellyfish aquarium). If I get awful stinky, will head to Splash Mountain.

Roni, with the steal-trap memory and excellent spelling skills (yes, dossier with two Ss), locally I do my public splashing by the dam in Waukesha, not Wauwatosa. (Let's not scare our readers with too many local unpronounceables, like Mukwonago, Weyauwega, and Oconomowoc. They're still practicing mouillette.)

Timberwolf does not spell very many other words correctly, but it is our specialty to know how to spell La Dossier. Or, is it "Le"? ;D Please see above.

Le dossier. *Do I get extra credit on the next quiz?

Serious about Petit Guerlain, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    Other innocent scents that I think you will like:
    Eau de Camille (Annick Goutal) - Ivy, honeysuckle, syringa - green, sweet and tender
    Petit Cherie (Annick Goutal) - pear, peach, fresh cut grass, musk, vanilla (it may be too sweet, but I think you should try it!)
    Tamya (Quinta Essentia) - Japanese citron, jasmine sambac, frangipani, cedar and musk - sweet and soft
    Viola (Quinta Essentia) - violet leaf, rose, tonka - a violet soliflore that is green and delicate
    Fetish (Quinta Essentia) - smells like citrus candy, sweet and fresh and delicious, with notes of lemon verbena, neroli, jasmine sambac and a base of fir absolute (smells like a jam made of Christmas tree), green tea and a hint of vanilla.
    Petit Guerlain - mimosa, lavender, orris, tonka, patchouli, very gentle and alcohol free
    Petits en Mamans (Bvlgari) - mostly lavender and neroli, gentle and alcohol free as well
    Fresh has also some nice fruity ones that are quite innocent - my favourites are Redcurrant Basil, Fig Apricot, Pomegranate Anise and Sugar. The notes are quite self explanatory - except that Sugar is not all that sweet - it very similar to Fetish, a fresh and sweet lemony citrus.
    I was certain MakeMePretty discussed Petit Guerlain but I am not finding her post.

Agua de Loewe sound like the perfect one...also, try Fujiyama by Succès de Paris, also, YSL's Paris Roses Enchantées 2005 or Agua fresca de Rosas by Adolfo Dominguez...

Ralph Lauren Blue
    Amazing Grace

Have you tried Fresh Pink Jasmine?

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Have you tried Fresh Pink Jasmine?
    Nope, but it's going on the roster for the "Soft Floral Showdown."

With each suggestion, I investigate each product, and you peaches are coming up with some real plums!

Have you tried Baby Rose Jeans? It might be a little too sweet, but it's very soft. Blue Q's Dirty Girl is a soft lily scent, their Miso Pretty is a peony scent(but it soured on my oh so weird body chemistry), many compare it to Pivoine Magnifica. Gilles Cantuel's fragrance smells exactly like Amazing Grace 3 in 1, much nicer than the Amazing Grace EDT but to me..not floral. Calypso Mimosa is a soft floral, also the Crabtree scents recommended are soft too like Summer Hill(if it's still around). Acca Kappas Calycanthus starts off kind of weird but dries down to a nice soft floral(almost similar to Chantecaille Le Jasmin). Is Violette Di Parma too green? I have one more I want to recommend but I can't remember the name, I'll do some searching....they're in gorgeous flower shaped bottles....

Found it, Visari fragrances are soft and floral...also throwing in Annicks Quel Amour...it always reminded me of a soft peony scent but on me a tad powdery however, it might not be on you.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by makemepretty
    their Miso Pretty is a peony scent(but it soured on my oh so weird body chemistry)
    You aren't the only one, sister. It was so sharp on me that I was reminded of the bitter apple spray you're supposed to put on furniture so pets won't chew the woodwork. What others find "fresh" often hurts my senses. (This little princess can also feel a pea under 20 mattresses!)

I can second both Eau de 4 Reines at L'Occitane - very fresh, innocent rose - and Bulgari's Rose Essentielle. I'm not a big floral fan but liked both of those very much. BBW makes "Moonlit Path" which is lavender and rose - doesn't last long, of course, but the price is right. Their new White Cherry Blossom was also quite nice. The Dallas Galleria BBW was sold out of the Japanese Cherry Blossom - so it must be great, huh? ;

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSnow
    I can second Eau de 4 Reines at L'Occitane
    Isn't it crazy how one person's pleasure is another person's dud? My Eau de 4 Reines sample went a-packin' within the week of its arrival. "Fresh" and I don't get along well, nor do I like top notes in general. If all there were is basenoted fragarnces, I'd be jolly happy. Am I frustrating you folks as much I am frustrated myself?

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by makemepretty
    Acca Kappas Calycanthus starts off kind of weird but dries down to a nice soft floral(almost similar to Chantecaille Le Jasmin).
    You know, all the Acca Kappas are very nice, but they're like well-composed knock-offs of things already on the market.

I'm still writing down all your suggestions, everybody.

In fact, I was surprised at my positive reaction to the 4 Reines but had thought to try it based on the comments on this board. I usually prefer vetiver / chypre notes. The Bulgari Rose is at Sephora if there's one close to you. I'm considering a purchase of it but need to try it again to be sure. My collection (all 7 bottles) doesn't have a pleasing floral yet...I will be interested to know your decision!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSnow
    In fact, I was surprised at my positive reaction to the 4 Reines but had thought to try it based on the comments on this board. *I usually prefer vetiver / chypre notes. *The Bulgari Rose is at Sephora if there's one close to you. I'm considering a purchase of it but need to try it again to be sure. *My collection (all 7 bottles) doesn't have a pleasing floral yet...I will be interested to know your decision!
    Will give a full report after my Florida trip/Sniffathon in May. Besides the foreign shops at EPCOT, the Orlando airport has a banquet of mainstream frag shops, so this will be a pretty intensive hunt. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    [quote author=bonni link=1144102525/0#7 date=1144132320]I find Joy to be very soft-soft, at least on me.
    Uh oh.

I've told this story once before I think, but when I first got to spritz Joy it was with such hope in my heart because my name is Joy. The aldehydes promptly placed two figurative thumbs on my throat and began to throttle me. I trotted out to the fountain in front of the EPCOT French Pavillion perfumery and performed a surgical scrub in front of all the tourists. The combination of dashed hopes and public humiliation has probably made any relationship with this frag irretrievable.
    [/quote]

WHOOPS! LOL! Okay, so maybe not Joy.... ;D

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Hawaii2NewYork

Hello -

I'm new here. =)

My favorite soft floral is CB I Hate Perfume's Tea/Rose. It is incredibly delicate and I'm totally addicted to it. Its a perfume oil so it lasts a very long time on me but has zero sillage.

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii2NewYork
    Hello -

I'm new here. =)

My favorite soft floral is CB I Hate Perfume's Tea/Rose. It is incredibly delicate and I'm totally addicted to it. Its a perfume oil so it lasts a very long time on me but has zero sillage.

Kelly

Welcome!!

If you are looking into the category ofa sheer floral, I highly recommend Chloe "Innocence." A classic "white dress wearing" floral. A whisper/barely a hint of lily of the valley surrounded by all white flowers. No tropical gardenia, powdery or aldehydic gagging. It reminds me of just-picked miguet flowers in the garden after the rain with the rain drops still clinging to the leaves: very soft. I think there's also magnolia blossom in there, narcissus, stephanotis, paper whites.
    If you can't *find that, the close cousin to it is Shiseido's "Energizing" in the orange bottle (but that could be slightly stronger; Innocence is very, very sheer.

You might also like Oh! de London (circa 1967) ( now made by Irma Shorell)with notes of jasmine, Roman chammomile, young clove buds, & a hint of rose. The base is mainly sandalwood: the full 33% pure Indian gold's worth - they don't skimp on anything at Shorell, even brought in the sandalwood at the full amount as the original. When you first spray it on, you are automatically reminded of any flowers, at least not one in particular. Rather, it's more like standing in the midst of a June garden at mid-day: you know the flowers are there butthey are not overwhelming.

Fleurs de Rocaille, while subtle in its dry down, does not conceal the fact that it is primarily floral: what you smell is what you get with that one. If it's your thing, Caron's seldom, if ever disappoint.

Why not try Sensi White Notes by Armani, it's a very gentle and soft floral with a clear beautiful rose-tone.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

tut tut, someone's been discussing my preferences while I've been away ;D
    nay, I am very honoured to be part of Timberwolf's vast La Dossier even though I'm such a small contributor to this fab community.

Right, well, as you may well know, I love soft soft soft frags, it's gotta stay close to the bone but *illuminate* the wearer. Which is probably why my collection is so small......... I am picky with frags as there's got to be chemical alchemy.

Quarry, I don't know how much I can help you with my suggestions, your criteria for a soft soft frag are exactly the ones I adore, but we have different noses and chemistry (mine's horridly complicated, check out my wardrobe list of 'tested' frags that just aren't up to scratch).

I haven't tried Beautiful Sheer, I will check it out this easter weekend just for you :-*

Timberwolf picked up on Gilles Cantuel's Creature D'Anges, it's really soft, is powdery, but does not smell of Johnson and Johnson's baby powder, though it may to some. Just a really delicate floral, sort of a just out of shower smell. Really feminine, very French and quite unique. Has some good sillage.

Audrey picked up on Lacoste pour femme- less floral than Creature, but softer, even. On me, it is really light, vanishes pretty quick, but others can detect a very soft sillage. Lovely. Different chemistries may give varying sillage's.

I won't recommend Penhaligon's Lavandula, Alessandro Dell'Acqua for her nor Intuition as though they're not strong, stay close to the skin and won't hit you on the nose, they are vibrant. But do try them if you like as they're gorgeously skin-like.

Am currently dabbing on Creature and Lacoste to jog memory as brain is fried from work, it's been flat chat all week. Will let you know tomorrow how they develop.

I haven't found Crabtree and Evelyn's to be soft, they're often too 'present' as a frag for want of a better word. I'll take another shot at them since Timberwolf recommended a few I've yet to try.

Old style TBS perfume oils can be very beautifully soft- I've still some Rose Musk which is a wonderfully dark, soft soft rose. A little powdery but not too much.

HTH, my knowledge of soft frags and frags in general is rather limited due to geography so please, trust your nose and your skin. A good way to find soft frags, I've found, is before spritzing at the perfume counter, try to smell the nozzle- if it's quite strong/dominant/has particular notes immediately present, it won't be soft.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Elysium, if I found a frag half as nice as your phrasing, it would be a real swooner! :P

Oh you're far too kind, Quarry :-*
    I'm blushing!

Ok, homework completed. Beautiful Sheer, IMO, is a soft soft floral, as soft as Lacoste pour femme, at least on me. It's more floral than Lacoste, top and mid notes are ok, but it's drydown is gorgeous, and highly reminiscient of Alessandro Dell'acqua's peppery floral base. If I didn't already have Alessandro, I'd definitely consider Beautiful Sheer in my collection, though a couple more spritz's are needed to figure out whether I like, or am just ok with the top/mid development.

I agree with Timberwolf, that you consider a few Annick Goutal's, all of which I've found to be quite delicate and soft from top to toe, of the ones I've tried.

Tovah, I beg to differ on Ralph Lauren Blue- it's just straight perfumey to me, and not a bit soft.

HTH's.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elysium
    I haven't tried Beautiful Sheer, I will check it out this easter weekend just for you *:-*
    Oh, the sacrifices we make for each other! I'd say this qualifies you for our "Frag Hag Sisterhood" award.

( Can't wait for my workathon to end so I can take my nose on vacation! :P)

Demeter's Wet Garden is about as soft a floral as you get - except it doesn't last very long. However, it does smell just like a wet garden

My very favorite softies in the florals would be Oscar and 24 Faubourg.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

as usual, i recommend spring flower in this category.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    as usual, i recommend spring flower in this category.
    And I respect you for it.

I highly recommend Pure Tiffany.

Why am I the only one that gives Tiffany and her sisters any love around here?

Quote Originally Posted by gooderin
    I highly recommend Pure Tiffany.

Why am I the only one that gives Tiffany and her sisters any love around here?
    I looked to buy it on a recent binge, but it was sold out. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    [quote author=liquid link=1144102525/30#35 date=1145227348]as usual, i recommend spring flower in this category.
    And I respect you for it.[/quote]

:-*
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Je Reviens by Worth. This is an utterly tender floral. It always strikes me as exquisitely soft and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue

My very favorite softies in the florals would be Oscar and 24 Faubourg.

FufuLaRue, have you tried Worth's Je Revien? I've wondered how it compared with 24, Faubourg. I love Je Revien's tenderness and thought I might also want to have 24, Faubourg. I recommended the Je Reviens for Quarry's request for suggestions. Do you or another reader have some words with which to compare 24, Faubourg and Je Reviens?

Two other fragrances considered to be in a similar category with 24, Faubourg & Je Reviens are Madame Rochas and Arpege. I've only tried Je Reviens. I know the one's I am bringing up are old - but the Je Reviens has none of the "heaviness" that I associate with older fragrances. (A heaviness that I am quite able to enjoy, however.)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

The many veins of "soft" being explored are very interesting, dearies. For some, soft includes aldehydes, for some soft means simple, others interpret it as light. For me, soft means mellow. I'm starting to think frags need to be assigned a pitch--as in "what key signature do you sing in?" I'd interpret Annick Goutals as being in the octive above middle C.

Hi Quarry,

I can't help wondering if you would like Marc Jacobs Blush... Made in 2004... Classed as a Floral-Jasmine scent... I find it soft and ethereal... sort of like a butterflies wings... it lasts and lasts but in a very soft and wispy way...

Here are the notes I found:

Top note : Jasmine Petals, Fresh Jasmine Notes, Italian Bergamot
    Middle note : Star Jasmine, Floating Jasmine Not, Orange Blossom, Japanese Honeysuckle
    Base note : Pink Musk, Cashmere wood, Sandalwood
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

He, he, he, he. *;D I'm starting to feel like the community guinea pig (prefer that to "lab rat&quot. Yes, I've tried MJ Blush. Lots of jasmine. I liked it for the first few trials, and then became jasmine-weary.

I hope other readers are picking up lots of ideas from all of these smart suggestions.

At least I pic up ideas from this thread, Quarry! I just found out that I don´t own a fragance who just simply is beautiful. I have breath-takers, joyfull fragances, cool ones, spicy ones and fresh ones. But not any frag just beautiful, not heading in no other direction. - I´m just considering if I might would find such a frag boring, and that´s why I haven´t got one, but at least I will try such a frag.

My suggest, Armani White Notes, is only avaliable in 50 mL, otherwise I would have got it already. I do preferb 30 mL, the bottles are so pretty, and also a bit less expensive!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

The many veins of "soft" being explored are very interesting, dearies. For some, soft includes aldehydes, for some soft means simple, others interpret it as light. For me, soft means mellow. I'm starting to think frags need to be assigned a pitch--as in "what key signature do you sing in?" I'd interpret Annick Goutals as being in the octive above middle C.
    OOOooooOOO
    ooooooOOOOO OOOOOoooooohh ! Deep, round, savory? Try Osmanthus by The Different Company!

I know that it's a question of personal chemistry, but sometimes I really wonder at how many different faces a scent can have.
    I have asked the community's opinion on Je Reviens a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn't so positive. I recall "headache, stench, sharp". :-?
    Now I see it recommended as a "utterly tender" soft floral...

I mean, promoting the scents you personally like is really OK, but I wish people would maybe try a bit more to answer the actual question. Like, give what is asked for, not what you want yourself.

I felt like I wanted to let this out, it's not this particular thread, I've been having my tantrums about this for a while > :-X ;D

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

It's really quite open to interpretation isn't it? For me, 'soft' doesn't preclude any fragrance categories, or adhere to a certain descriptive term- it's purely an interpretation based upon my skin and my nose. So, to box 'soft' into such categories as 'aldehydic' or 'light' doesn't work, because both of these may turn out not to be 'soft' at all.

I completely agree with you on your interpretation of 'soft' as meaning mellow- it's got to have some sillage, but it's got to be subtle, gentle, you can spritz as much as you like on and you still won't be anywhere near overwhelmed by the scent, within the first 5min (which is generally when the frag is the strongest on the nose). The best way I can describe a 'soft' scent is to say that it's like a 'caress' and rabbit fur-like, as corny as it may sound. Your sillage is not really noticeable within a proximity of 1-2m, don't mistake it with a delicate floral scent, there's a difference between delicate and soft.

Something like La Chasse aux Papillon is delicate, but not soft, the scent and bitterness of the orange blossoms is quite piquant and distinctive.

HTH

I believe that you haven't lived life completely until you've tried Frederic Malle En Passant. It's soft, sweet lilac with a touch of pâte sucrée...

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    I believe that you haven't lived life completely until you've tried Frederic Malle En Passant. *It's soft, sweet lilac with a touch of pâte sucrée...
    Tovah, it's interesting how you and I both have La Chasse and JM's Orange Blossom on our favorites list, but I gave En Passant just two out of five stars. Almost maddening, really. What's wrong with me?

Basenotes Plus

Since I've found Caron (insert bowing person here), I can suggest several of their fragrances as possible candidates for your quest.
    Farnesiana - cuddly "soft", mimosa, iris & lavender
    N'Aimez Que Moi- lovely violets & some ambery wood, tickled with flower petals "soft"
    and Pois De Senteur - sweet pea & light musk, gentle, light powdery "soft"
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

[quote author=Tovah link=1144102525/45#49 date=1145395363]I believe that you haven't lived life completely until you've tried Frederic Malle En Passant. *It's soft, sweet lilac with a touch of pâte sucrée...
    Tovah, it's interesting how you and I both have La Chasse and JM's Orange Blossom on our favorites list, but I gave En Passant just two out of five stars. Almost maddening, really. What's wrong with me?[/quote]

Honestly, I thought I hated En Passant until about a week and a half ago. With the exception of Sha I haven't found another lilac I could happily wear, yet. I've always loved orange blossom (La Chasse & Jo Malone) and fortunately it seems to love me back. I used to think it was the only floral note I could stand (then I found Basenotes, and, well, you've seen my "favorites&quot. La Chasse and JMOB are fragrances that I can spray at any day, any time and be happy with them.

I completely understand your "pitch" analogy! I'm an alto, so I usually equate comfort/mellow with lower pitches, although lower pitches can also evoke jazzy sensuality. La Chasse and JMOB are "mezzo" soprano to me. I'm trying to vocally categorize En Passant, but I'm not getting a pitch. It's like air, with sounds and silence at the same time. I'm sure my visceral reaction to En Passant comes from childhood memories of lilac bushes as signs of spring, warmth, and adventure. Some of my love for En Passant may come from the images it evokes rather than the fragrance itself. Lilacs won't grow here in Southern California, so I substitute heliotrope, but it's not the same. En Passant sort of fills a longing I hadn't realized I had.