Code of Conduct

Default whats the deal parfum vs. eau de x prices!! HELP

ok so, according to just about every source on the internet perfume strengths differ by about 20% where eau de toilette may be in the 10-15% range, eau de parfum in the 15-20% range and parfum 20-25% range. whats going on with the prices then??

price list for perfume A

100ml eau de toilette @ 10% = 10ml of pure oil, hypothetical price, 75$

100ml eau de parfume @ 19% = 19ml of pure oil, hypothetical price, 110$

7.5ml pure parfum @ 25% = 1.88 ml pure oil, hypothetical price, 150$

what the hell is going on here? do they really use cheaper oils to make the less powerful forms? that would mean that its also the case for houses like Chanel who follow a similar pricing scheme. so we're buying synthetic trash when we buy no.5 eau de parfum??? hard to believe?? or is it just some kind of rediculous supply and demand situation where so few people buy the pure parfum form that it pushes the price to that equilibrium? that also makes no sense because eventually everyone would wisen up to it and not buy it???

someone please fill me in?

Default Re: whats the deal parfum vs. eau de x prices!! HE

Honestly, I think it's just a standard scheme. I don't think that EDT is "better" or "worse" on a general scale (sometimes I actually prefer the EDT of some fragrances), or that it's really all THAT much cheaper to make. I think they just just want to be able to justify charging MORE for the higher concentrations, for the most part.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Some parfums do actually contain large amounts of very costly ingredients- not to say that the corresponding EdT doesn't, there are just over-all less oils and more alcohol and water in EdT. Also, when it comes to any perfume, you are always, ALWAYS paying for packaging. Parfums traditionally come in lusher, more elegant bottles and the packaging is usually designed to create a special image for the company. It's incredibly expensive to produce all that and the consumer pays for all the end luxury.

However, even if we were to get our parfums in plain bottles and brown wrapping paper, 50 drops of jasmine absolute is still very expensive- no getting around that. Some houses have traditionally tried to have their own fields of roses and jasmine, so they can control the kinds of crops they receive for the oil production. These fields are getting more and more expensive to maintain since land developers are pushing to put up condos. There again the end cost is pushed down to the consumer.

Okay- well, why don't they use less costly synthetics? Synthetics just aren't quite the same. Sometimes richness is lost. Also, synthetics don't always react and blend the same way that naturals do, so now whole formulas have to change to accomodate the synthetics and the over-all soul of the original perfume is lost.

So, in a way, when we pay for parfum now we are paying to keep a very old tradition alive. That's how I see it.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    ok so, according to just about every source on the internet perfume strengths differ by about 20% where eau de toilette may be in the 10-15% range, eau de parfum in the 15-20% range and parfum 20-25% range. whats going on with the prices then??

price list for perfume A

100ml eau de parfume @ *19% = 19ml of pure oil, hypothetical price, 110$

7.5ml *pure parfum @ 25% = 1.88 ml pure oil, hypothetical price, 150$

what the hell is going on here? do they really use cheaper oils to make the less powerful forms? that would mean that its also the case for houses like Chanel who follow a similar pricing scheme. so we're buying synthetic *trash when we buy no.5 eau de parfum??? hard to believe?? or is it just some kind of rediculous supply and demand situation where so few people buy the pure parfum form that it pushes the price to that equilibrium? that also makes no sense because eventually everyone would wisen up to it and not buy it???

Sorry, I can't figure out how you calculate this. Do you mean, EdT costs less than it should? Or that pure perfume is too expensive? Also, some ingredients cost more, some less, but I think they charge the middle sum anyway. There are some perfumes where I ask myself if it's worth its price, like Black Gardenia (120$ for 1/2 oz). Or Creeds. But we also pay for the exclusivitry of such. Or for the tradition of Chanel. Or for the kilos of roses and jasmine flowers it takes to make a drop of Joy.Or for the gorgeous bottle, like...Lolita Lempicka. Or for the innumerous attempts it took to find the right combination. This all is very costly and takes much time. I prefer to pay more if I can, and have essential oils rather than this synthetic stuff that I normally get headaches from.
    Or do you seriously mean, they simply lie and put cheap stuff evrywhere to make more profit on us silly ignorant consumers?
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by audrey
    [quote author=czesc link=1145037286/0#0 date=1145037284]ok so, according to just about every source on the internet perfume strengths differ by about 20% where eau de toilette may be in the 10-15% range, eau de parfum in the 15-20% range and parfum 20-25% range. whats going on with the prices then??

price list for perfume A

100ml eau de parfume @ 19% = 19ml of pure oil, hypothetical price, 110$

7.5ml pure parfum @ 25% = 1.88 ml pure oil, hypothetical price, 150$

what the hell is going on here? do they really use cheaper oils to make the less powerful forms? that would mean that its also the case for houses like Chanel who follow a similar pricing scheme. so we're buying synthetic trash when we buy no.5 eau de parfum??? hard to believe?? or is it just some kind of rediculous supply and demand situation where so few people buy the pure parfum form that it pushes the price to that equilibrium? that also makes no sense because eventually everyone would wisen up to it and not buy it???

Sorry, I can't figure out how you calculate this. Do you mean, EdT costs less than it should? Or that pure perfume is too expensive? Also, some ingredients cost more, some less, but I think they charge the middle sum anyway. There are some perfumes where I ask myself if it's worth its price, like Black Gardenia (120$ for 1/2 oz). Or Creeds. But we also pay for the exclusivitry of such. Or for the tradition of Chanel. Or for the kilos of roses and jasmine flowers it takes to make a drop of Joy.Or for the gorgeous bottle, like...Lolita Lempicka. Or for the innumerous attempts it took to find the right combination. This all is very costly and takes much time. I prefer to pay more if I can, and have essential oils rather than this synthetic stuff that I normally get headaches from.
    Or do you seriously mean, they simply lie and put cheap stuff evrywhere to make more profit on us silly ignorant consumers?
    [/quote]

no one is really understanding my question, the above figures are all calculated for one specific fragrance, like, if EDT means 10% oil 90% alcohol that means u get 10ml of oil in a 100ml bottle right? 10ml of the pure oils in whatever mix theyre in, now 7.5 ml pure parfum at lets even say 30% is roughly 2.5 ml of pure oil in the same component mixture

I'll break it down even further, lets say chanel makes a fragrance, no.5 just as an example, we are made to think there is a certain "pure" juice that is diluted with whatever level of alcohol and glycerine (among other things but lets keep it simple) to create the different fragrance strengths of the no.5 line. So, assuming that the EDT contains 10% of this pure juice and costs 75$ for 100ml, you are essentially paying 75$ for 10ml of this pure juice that we are talking about. Now, lets look at the parfum strength, which is (lets just say 30%), so ignoring all the alcohol and whatever else goes into the mixture (because this stuff might as well be free) we are paying 150$ for approx 2.5 ml of this "pure" juice.

that just doesnt seem to make sense to me, so, the only logical conclusions are that a) everyone is stupid and this is some kind of market demand equation where people are happy paying 8 times as much for something just because it comes in a cute little bottle, OR the ingredients in the various strengths are not exactly the same. ie: the parfum version will use a natural iris absolute (found only in the blooming irises of guatamalan bat caves of new mexico and only at dusk on april the 9th of every 4th year starting 806 AD) where the EDT version uses a cheap and common essential oil or even a synthetic iris essence.

do you see what I am saying now ?

OK, I think I get what you mean. Chanel #5 seems to be too confusing, for there are so many different packagings and concentrations that I just can't relate.
    Let's take Joy. As seen on escentual.com.uk

Jean Patou Joy Parfume Luxe 30ml
    £250.00=500$ (approximate, for reasons of simple calculation)
    Jean Patou Joy Eau de Parfum Spray 30ml
    £48.00=90$
    Jean Patou Joy Eau de Toilette Spray 30ml
    £31.00=60$
    There is also this amasing Parfume Flacon Baccarat 30ml for £650.00=1300$!!!

At least we know that a Baccarat bottle costs 800$
    The Parfume Luxe bottle might be crystal, and EdT and EdP simple glass.and the special packaging. Let's say, minus 100$?
    This leaves us with following results: the pure perfume is 4 times more concentrated than EdP, because it costs 4 time more. But EdP is only around 30% more concentrated than EdT.
    So if we say PP concentration is 24%, then EdP should be only 6%, and EdT only 4%.
    It might as well be 60%-15%-10%, but I don't believe in 60%. It's bad for the skin ;D
    Or 36%-9%-6%?
    Anyway.
    I see your point. They don't write the concentration values on the bottle though, do they? So it's always an approximate information that we have. For my part, I'm glad that there is EdT and EdP, for I'm not rich, and so are many people, but I can still experience Joy. They might be using surrogates to make it cheaper, but they might as well dillute it more.
    What do you say?
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

I see exactly what you're saying. For you chemists out there is there any way to distill an EdT and get rid of the alcohol without harming the scent itself to produce our own parfum concentrate?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!