Code of Conduct

Default What Rose fragrances do you like?

I'm in the mood for a rosy fragrance. I've been using Yardley Aloe & Cucumber soap lately and it's so fresh and rosy. I'd love to find a similar type of perfume. The soap doesn't smell like cucumber to me, just rosy freshness, that's the only way I can describe it. I recently smelled Stella on a card, but I didn't like it. It smelled of acetone. Obviously, I should try on skin to make sure but it was an instant turn off on the card. I'm in the mood for a fresh rose, light and airy, not too dense or ambery, and some other supporting floral notes would be fine but emphasis on rose. Years ago I wore Paris and I liked that but I'm looking for something lighter and fresher, a morning dewy type of rose, if that's any help. Any ideas? I don't like EA True Love. I dont' want to (can't) spend $$$$ on Creed or whatever, but not looking for drug store cheap either. What about Crabtree & Evelyn? Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may have.

--Sherrie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What Rose fragrances do you like?

2 clean rose scents that are easily accessible and inexpensive are Christian Celle Calypso ~ rose
    and Fresh index ~ Bulgarian Rose

Post Thanks / Like

Uhm... this may not be what you're looking for, but it's one of my favorite rose scents: Givenchy Very Irresistible. It's got five different kinds of rose, and then a spicier heart (anise seed, but it's more spicy than sweet in this case). Very lush, to my nose.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Post Thanks / Like

Paris, Eternity and Trésor by "The Queen of Rose", nose Sophia Grojsman.

I also like:
    -the warm and very powdery Ombre Rose by Jean Charles Brosseau.
    -the extremely green and musky Tea Rose by Perfumers Workshop.
    -the soft and powdery, yet fresh Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan.
    -the earthy Une Rose by Frederic Malle.

Also check out Stella McCartney's Stella, an amber rose. The bath & body line is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

As luck would have it, My Paris Eau de Printemps 2006 Roses des Vergers arrived in the mail yesterday!!! [smiley=smiley.gif] It's very light, as are all the Springtime limited editions, but it is also fresher with the addition of pear blossom to the top notes, and a tad greener and less 'perfumey' than Paris original. Try it, as it sounds exactly like what you're describing.

You will want to try Rose Essentielle by Bulgari in this category as well. It is a rose violet that is my number one. It is a bit sweet, but stays close to the skin and lasts all day. If I had to pick one fragrance to keep on a desert island, this would be it. I think. Okay, I'm not sure. My tiny brain is suddenly overwhelmed with dismay. [smiley=shocked.gif] Little voices are murmuring, 'but what about Kai, Lolita Lempicka, Un Lys, Mimosa pour Moi, A la Nuit ! for God's sake?? !!! Eau de Camille??? Arrrgh. [smiley=tongue.gif]

But for rose scents, little brain, for ROSES, I say, Rose Essentielle is.... heh, heh, essential. [smiley=laugh.gif]
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Eau de 4 Reines by L'Occitane. It's fresh and soapy, light and uncomplicated.

I remember testing Evelyn Rose by C&E. It was beautiful, but a bit too rich rose for me, so I went for Rose Water, which is hardly a perfume, but a splash, I think.

Pivoine Magnifica Guerlain is nice, but is not longlasting enough.

I like Stella Absolute, but I like ambery roses. Another one is Cabaret by Gres, but if you don't like amber these are the ones you don't need to bother to try.

I agree with Shycat about Paris 2006 spring edition - it is greener and fresher, a fruity rose. This makes sense to me as they have laready had Roses de Bois (2004 woody rose), Roses enchantees (2005 soft rose).
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    I recently smelled Stella on a card, but I didn't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Also check out Stella McCartney's Stella, an amber rose.
    Class, can you tell us who wasn't listening? ;D

I'm from the "dirty" side of the aisle myself (preferring Stella and Rose d'Homme), but as a general avoider of fresh scents and rose scents, have to admit I was impressed with Rosine's Une Zeste de Rose (Parfum de Rosine's latest edition Un Zeste de Rose is a refreshing and unusual "rose-citrus" blend. The smell of wild roses mingle with fruity notes of mandarin, lemon bark and orange blossoms.) (Thanks again, musse!)

I think you have to give thorough investigation to Les Parfums de Rosine products. Aedes.com carries them.

To me, the scent that reads closest to a rose is freshly grated carrot. Makes me wonder how diversely our senses must report to each of us.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

I've recently discovered Victoria Secret's 'So In Love' and find that to have a very lovely, unique rose accord. It's very soft.

I like Anglomania and Stella a lot!

Paris is nice too and so is Tea Rose (already mentioned) but not my favorites!

Angel Rose is divine and louder then what I think you might be looking for

Ohhh and Cabaret I forgot to say that one

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought YSL Paris Roses Enchantees unsniffed and I'm thrilled. I love it. It has the bright sparkliness of the original Paris but its fresher. Other rose scents I enjoy are:

Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    Wanderlust "Super-fume" - really well priced and a very beautiful, unique rose (on Perfume of Life website)
    Parfums de Nicolai Balkis - a beautiful raspberry-rose
    Rosine Rosa Flamenca
    Serge Lutens Sa Majesté La Rose
    Keiko Mecheri Gourmandises
    Frederic Malle Une Rose
    Laura Mercier L'Heure Magique
    Lancome Tresor
    Annick Goutal Ce Soir Ou Jamais
    Guerlain Nahema (for a dark rose mood)
    Stella (sometimes this can be quite sharp, though)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm back...

I need to add a second recommendation for Fresh Bulgarian Rose - a very, very true rose scent; not so much a rose perfume.

And add one I forgot to mention: Dawn Spender Hurwitz Beach Roses - a very interesting take on rose.

Hi again,

Anybody try that New: Dejarose by MAC that cedriceccentric talks about bellow?

That ones too sounds really good!

Thank you for all of the suggestions! You've given me lots to play with. I'm copying all these to print out. Some of the fresher ones sound intriguing. It isn't that I don't like amber (I do, I do! yummy), it's just that I'm in the mood for something different. Rose Essentielle, Paris Printemps, DSH Beach Roses, Un Zeste de Rose sound particularly interesting and I'll check out some of the others as well. Thanks again! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to try some Rosines you must try Un Zeste de Rose (already mentioned), Rose d'Ete (this is the freshest of the line to me) and Rosa Flamenca! They are fresh, bright rose scents, I'll send you a couple of rose decants with your Songes.

i want to add my vote for annick goutal's ce soir ou jamais!! if you want a pure rose this is it. it's often described as "lush" but i see it as pure, also i personally would consider it "clean" even though it doesn't seem to have that reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    If you decide to try some Rosines you must try Un Zeste de Rose (already mentioned), Rose d'Ete (this is the freshest of the line to me) and Rosa Flamenca! *They are fresh, bright rose scents, *I'll send you a couple of rose decants with your Songes.
    Tovah, you are a sweetie! Thank you! If I can return the favor I will certainly look forward to doing so. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    i want to add my vote for annick goutal's ce soir ou jamais!! if you want a pure rose this is it. it's often described as "lush" but i see it as pure, also i personally would consider it "clean" even though it doesn't seem to have that reputation.
    This one is on my list to try, too. I generally like AG's.

Thanks again!

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

YSL Paris
    Joy
    Shaal Nur (the un-rose rose)
    Sudanese Black Rose (Attar Bazaar)
    Sweet Oriental Dreams (Montale)

Other than that I like my roses well blended. That being said, I'm wild for Nature's Gift's Rosa Alba Essential Oil. It's a very soft, soothing, pure rose.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK Rose is my favourite floral scent for summer but I only have a limited few that I return to each year:

Crabtree & Evelyn Evelyn - I fell in love with the EDT a few years ago finding it one of the most gorgeous fresh true rose scents I had come across like I was smelling a real rose. I have a precious half bottle of the EDT and a full bottle of the EDP which is richer and more intense but still very fresh and real.

Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Eau Fraiche - this is divine. If Evelyn is the mature bloom then Rosewater is the dew drenched bud! :-* The Eau fraiche strength is perfect for hot summer weather and is a delight to reapply, especially if chilled beore application. It is like the next step up from basic pure rose hydrosol in scent.

The Body Shop Tea Rose - This is quite a good true fresh tea rose fragrance especially for the money. As it is a perfume oil a little goes a long way and it lasts the long day through. It has a fresh green, almost mint note in the opening and then the intense rose dominates till it delicately fades away with an unusual (to my nose) tea note. I am prone to wearing a drop of this under the Rosewater for longevity and the unique blend.

Yves Saint Laurent Paris - I came late to the party with this one. It is a wonderful powdery elegant homage to the rose rather than being a true soliflore. Perfect for sultry summer evenings and cooler summer days. I get the impression of soft dusky rose velvet gliding across soft skin when I smell Paris.

Yves Rocher Rose Ispahan - Oh this is sweet - literally. Once in a while I crave a sweet, soft, powdery rose which reminds me of Turkish Delight (the sweet). I like to layer it with a citrus or almond cream / oil / perfume depending on my mood. I would not recommend this as a true rose scent as it is too sugary and powdery for that. Imagine candied edible rose petals dusted with the lightest, smoothest caterer's sugar aith a hint of musk and you will have an idea of what it smells like. Unfortunately it disappears within moments and is urprisingly light for the depth you can sense. It has the longevity of a EDC - I would buy a huge bottle of it or anything else that smelt like it and lasted like an EDP. :sigh:

These are the freshest most uncomplicated straight rose type scents I have at the moment but I am open to discovering more.

I hope these help.

Happy Sniffing!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Still taking notes. :-)