Code of Conduct

Default Mitsouko EDP v.s. EDT

Hi All,

I did my obligatory swing by T.J.Maxx today and saw they had Mitsouko EDT. I already have the EDP I very much like. Could anyone tell me what the EDT is like. SOmetimes the EDT and EDP are really different.

Thanks,

Krysia

Default Re: Mitsouko EDP v.s. EDT

WOW

how much was it going for??

I also have a bottle of the EDP but I have also had experience with EDT.

I think one of the main differences is that the EDT has less bergamot/citrus going on and more wood/etc. It comes off as lighter, maybe even sweeter. They are pretty similar but it is a difference, I love the EDP but I also love the EDT so I might just have to swing by my local T.J. Maxx . . .

We must have hit the same TJ Maxx.....LOL [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] I saw it there on the upper shelf: "9.99.....Hadda be out of my mind NOT to buy it!" I went nuts. Such a great fragrance, for so little! Got the EDT home, tried it out, and I like it. To me, it's lighter without skimping on all the glory of the parfum version(s). I might wear the EDT for day, when the parfum & EDP are too strong for small, closed office quarters. In addition, it's a nice purse-friendly, petite bottle. Better than lugging than big EDP 3.3 oz. honker of glass around. LOL [smiley=grin.gif]
    Every now and then, TJ Maxx gets in something that just floors the crap out of you. "Desdenuda" by Ungaro for one, for $9.99. Filene's should get a grip & start reducing some of their fragrance prices already. $5 or $10 less than the dept store price isn't so great a deal.

Contrary to Chanel, which reformulate their fragrances depending on the concentration, Guerlain didn't used to do so (until Champs Elysées and L'Instant). Yet something as "basic" as concentration levels can really change the character of a fragrance IMHO.

I have a totally oposite experience with Mitsouko than LoneFish :-/
    The edt is for me very fresh, almost citrussy. The edp is much more mossy and sweet.

Anyway you could always perfume yourself with the edp before you leave home and reapply the lighter edt during the day. Spray the edt on your clothes and hair to create a great sillage. Always keep the bottle at about 30 cm or 1 foot to avoid stains.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was also pretty floored to see Mitsouko and had to do a double take. The cost as I remember was more like $23. for I think 1 oz. So not as cheap as the $9.99 (for what quantity)?

I will have to go for sure and get it. Great idea for in the purse.

Krysia

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Contrary to Chanel, which reformulate their fragrances depending on the concentration, Guerlain didn't used to do so (until Champs Elysées and L'Instant). Yet something as "basic" as concentration levels can really change the character of a fragrance IMHO.

I have a totally oposite experience with Mitsouko than LoneFish :-/
    The edt is for me very fresh, almost citrussy. The edp is much more mossy and sweet.

Anyway you could always perfume yourself with the edp before you leave home and reapply the lighter edt during the day. Spray the edt on your clothes and hair to create a great sillage. Always keep the bottle at about 30 cm or 1 foot to avoid stains.
    Heh, well actually I do sort of agree with you. I agree the edt is fresher and the edp is mossier. I suppose the edt is more citrusy, but to me not as much as that pungent bergamot. Well to each his own i suppose

I have all the concentrations of Mitsouko (one of my all time faves!) I find that the weaker the concentraion the "dryer" and "muskier" it is. I would say the EDT is better for the warmer days because of this.

All the concentrations are lovely, but I suppose I would have to say my fave still has to be the Parfum.

;D

Quote Originally Posted by Krysia
    Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. *I was also pretty floored to see Mitsouko and had to do a double take. *The cost as I remember was more like $23. for I think 1 oz. *So not as cheap as the $9.99 (for what quantity)?

The one I bought at The Maxx was a 1.5 oz. size for $9.99, which still is a pretty good price. They just got a ton of Mitsoukos in and also the Ungaro Desdenudas. There was also a fire sale on Donald Trump Cologne. Too bad it ain't Ivana's...LOL Now, that's a fragrance in itself. Too bad you can only buy it on her website.

I will have to go for sure and get it. *Great idea for in the purse.

Krysia

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Contrary to Chanel, which reformulate their fragrances depending on the concentration, Guerlain didn't used to do so (until Champs Elysées and L'Instant). Yet something as "basic" as concentration levels can really change the character of a fragrance IMHO..... The edt is for me very fresh, almost citrussy. The edp is much more mossy and sweet.......
    Unusually lucky day here. Thanks, Cedric, for ur input on Guerlain/Chanel reformulation. To me the EDT comes over as particularly sparkly. Maybe it is the citrussy difference. I only have the perfume to try against, and that is rather deep and sombre. From the start, it stays very close to the skin like a secret to it's wearer. I enjoy that a lot!
    'Vol de nuit' might be like this, I imagine. I know of no other genuine perfume that could be more discreet.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I much prefer the edt. When I have tried wearing the edp, I have ended up coughing.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I tried the EDT at TJ Maxx today, and I'm afraid to say that it smelled just like soap on me. Maybe there's a little spice there, but that might also be coming from the Yang I'm wearing.

However it was the first time I tried Mitsouko. Not something I'd get based on this introduction. However, I'm not familiar with Mitsouko, so I'll try it at Saks before rendering final judgment.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Mitsouko is my signature so I have worn it in all variations and formulations...

I definitely find EdT a bit lighter and fresher and the peach note is more prominent.
    EdP is richer and deeper in the base, more sultry and darker, so I like it better. I agree with Col thet EdT is probably better for warmer days.

On another note, I managed to find Mitsouko Parfum de Toilette and that is absoulutely amazing. It is somewhere between EdP and Parfum and is even deeper and more complex than EdP. I read (think it was in Luca Turin's guide) that Parfum de toilette is the closest to original Mitsouko formula and the best. Difficult to find, though, so my second choice would be Parfum which is smoother than the weaker concentrations, almost creamy-golden and absolutely sublime.

Between EdP and EdT I'd go for EdP, but if you are new to Mitsouko (and this scent definitely takes its time to bewitch you and lure you into its mysteries) perhaps you'd find EdT easier to manage and wear at first.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

hello everyone.

i understand there have been some reformulations, so i am wondering if this still holds true. is the parfum de toilette better than the actual perfume? and still the most true to the original work?

Mitsouko has obviously been through multiple reformulations: it's not logical or doable to hold the exact same recipe through the years since 1919!
    Roja Dove who favoured it confessed he stopped wearing it when it ceased to remind him of how it was.
    Having said that, it was the latest, happening in mid-2007 (starting with the EDT and trickiling down to EDP and eventually I assume extrait de parfum) significantly reducing the oakmoss elements (along with other subtle changes) to meet with the latest IFRA and EU regulations on safety that has provoked a certain chasm with the previous resulting in a discernable difference.
    I much prefer the older batches and have stocked for life I hope.

The EDT is rather woodier, even a little spicier (that cinnamon tinge), while the EDP has more pronounced floral elements. I vastly prefer the extrait de parfum, but I also wear the pre-latest-reformulation EDT with much pleasure. It's on my top-5 of scents actually.

If those discount stores have older stock (and I suppose they do as room has to be cleared for the newer batches) then by all means grab them!! Lots of people will want them if you don't.

As to Parfum de Toilette, that was a glorious 80s Guerlain version in most of their classic scents before Eau de Parfum became a standard concentration for most perfumes (there was almost no EDP in the fragrance world at large before the 80s because it was then that stronger, more concentrated scents became necessary to compete with each other). Again, if you see it, grab it. Perfect option!!

Well, almost everybody and their dog here knows about my non-existent relationship with Mitsouko -- I own three bottles of different eras and strengths as a reference scent as I wear it only twice a year if that often.

Agree with everything Helg has said (Hi Helg! Your contributions were sorely mised here! ) and want to add that the silkiest mosses and the loveliest peaches can be found in Mitsouko EdC from the 60s.

helg: thanks! i had already grabbed a bottle of de PdT, the last one and only 30ml. but it's great.

twolf: silkiest mosses, that sounds very interesting.
    i really like that moss thing in perfumes! it seems to add a lot, one being a sort of dark and complex depth. that's what i account the oakmoss to, correct me if i'm wrong.

and i do like the edt, not sure if the bottle i know is pre-2007 though. if it is, i think it's still a great perfume, even with less oakmoss. (it is still listed on the cheap tester bottle i'd get)

i have another question regarding mitsouko,

how can i discern between older and recent perfume, is there a difference in the bottle or packaging? with older i basically mean before the above mentioned oakmoss reformulation.