Code of Conduct

Default the great thing about strong perfumes

okay, this is kind of a kookie story, so bear with me. but today due to circumstances out of my control i had to be in the car with somebody who i can't stand for about 3 hours. and i know they say scent has a lot to do with attraction well maybe it has a lot to do with disgust too 'cause i really can't stand the way this guy smells. i can't call it b.o. per se but it's something along that line. just a strong smell that made me really sick to my stomach, so sick that when i got back here i couldn't really eat and i had to take a shower to get rid of the remembrance of the scent but even in the shower i had a reliving of the scent and i was scared i would have to mentally smell this all night so dun dun dun. . . i sprayed on mitsuoko and voila, problem gone (i hope.) it's wonderful 'cause for the past week or so i've been kind of apathetic about all the perfumes i have for whatever reason but this horrible olfactory experience has brought me back into the fold, i am so pleased.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: the great thing about strong perfumes

And so, you must maintain your aquaintance with this man. He may come in handy in the future -- kind like a glass of coffee beans but in pants! ;D ;D ;D
    Please, spritz responsibly.

but i love the way coffee smells

also, i spelled kooky wrong i'm sorry

I think she means he sort of cleansed your nose "palate" like smelling coffee beans between smelling different perfumes.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good story, Lonefish. Can appreciate the Guerlain Cure!
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Congratulations, Lonefish - the first step is admitting you have a problem.

2. Make short trips and gradually increase your exposure to Stinky.

3. Carry a decanter of Mitsouko (or, in my case, Vetiver) in your pocket for roadside emergencies. *

4. Get a convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by gooderin
    I think she means he sort of cleansed your nose "palate" like smelling coffee beans between smelling different perfumes.
    oh, thanks, boy am i dense

re: exposure to stinky, i think the best cure is prevention, avoid stinky at all costs. the moment he left i took out the spray bottle of febreeze and squirted the seat he was sitting on down, but in hindsight i should have taken it out and squirted him! i did have a small vial of CK Crave in my purse and while i was driving i was incredibly tempted to spray it either on myself or in his direction but at 80 mph i wasn't sure if that was a good idea.

LoneFish - you didn't mention the lingering stench. 'Stinky' has Booty Funk.

1. Craft project! Ask Octothorpe to make you a custom sign then go to Kinko's and have it laminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe

2. Discretion is the better part of valor. Discretely suggest, "Hey, 'Stinky'! Why don't you take a walk through a car wash?" Or whenever you are with 'Stinky' put a clothespin on your nose. Maybe 'Stinky' will get the message.

3. Haunt the Army / Navy stores. Sometimes you can find a real bargain on surplus gas masks.

4. Wear a string of scented soaps around your neck - kind of like Carpathian mountain peasants wear cloves of garlic to ward off vampires.

5. Murder 'Stinky' and plea to a reduced charge of manslaughter. Don't focus on negatives. Think of the service you will be doing for the rest of humanity. With good behavior, you should be out of the big house in 5 - 10. By then the smell should be gone from your car. Leave a window open.

I've been around someone like that before. He didn't really smell *bad*, he just sort of gave off this odor, almost subliminal but very disturbing. He was a very stressed out, angry with the world, victimized person. The odor he exuded kind of smelled like the odor of a terrified human being in desperation. It was very, very stressful to be around, and I would literally spray air freshener in my office when he left. Poor guy, but yeesh!
    ~Melanie Teegarden, Owner
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did you ever know someone who smelled great naturally? *I was recently reminded of this while contemplating my Black Vetyver Café. It began to remind me of a dear friend. He was as close a friend as can be non-romantically, and he just smelled pleasant (we used to play racquetball--warm skin, small room). He said I wasn't the first to notice this about him. And when he drank coffee, which was often, he was even more like BVC. He was full Hungarian, but not the paprika-eating sort, if that means anything.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a very close friend in Uni who I was madly in love with. He smelled AMAZING. Naturally that is. Never met anyone who could do to me what he did just walking past! (ahem)

He's mixed race, half American Indian and half Irish, also stunning looking.

I miss him :'(

Post Thanks / Like

My flatmates use to compliment me that my room smells so good and so me, but I think it's not me, it's all the Yardley's Rose soap I put in drawers and schrank.

I love how babys smell, so sweet :P
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I've known people whose personal scent bothered me, and not because they were unwashed or anything, just their body odor was something I didn't like.

And there have been some people that I thought were okay until I smelled something like their bedroom, where their scent was in high concentration, at which point I was turned off.

It took me years before I worked out that the reason I'm so blazingly heterosexual (and I used to be quite free with my affections, back in the day) is that it's the way men SMELL. Not all men, but for the most part, I love the natural masculine scent, sweat, testosterone, pheremones, whatever it is that makes men smell like men. (I can usually tolerate the natural scent of women, but in high concentration like in a bedroom or - ACK - laundry basket, I generally find adult women's smell to be completely and utterly repellant, even if it's not an unpleasant smell.)

I was in love with my husband before I ever smelled him (we met on the net and had known each other for years prior to meeting in person), but fortunately, he smells wonderful to my nose. I don't know what I would have done if he'd been unpleasant smelling, actually. Not a happy thought.

I think there's more to the idea that some people have "good chemistry" than people realize!

bonni

"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

I was telling a friend about it on IM while I was eating, had a flashback and promptly lost my appetite. Time to reapply?

Funny, though, because although the disgusting guy in question was a male, there wasn't anything masculine really about the way he smelled, at least, later that evening I was talking to a woman who smelled the exact same way. Also, one day a few years ago, after one really hard, long day (but not particularly strenuous,) as well after a really unhealthy and perhaps unsanitary month and a half, I smelled absolutely horrendous, I smelled like my dad used to smell after he'd been mowing the lawn. It was so weird that I actually smelled like a man. I think a lot of how people smell is what they put into their body, although I can't imagine what I could have been consuming that would make me smell like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    I think a lot of how people smell is what they put into their body
    That's undoubtedly true. There are different "ethnic" body scents. My Czech grandmother had a very distinctive ethnic smell, for example.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

This thread is so interesting LoneFish! Thank you for sharing

It instantly also reminded me of a co-worker whom I dearly love, (she is a wonderful person).... ONLY once in a while I catch this VERY unpleasant scent coming from her.... Ohhh it bothers me so much that at times it makes me angry that someone should smell like that....

Ohh but to make matters WORSE... she loves fragrances..... and quite often asks what I am wearing... she loves all my favorites and now is wearing the scent I held in SUPER HIGH Esteems, that is until she started wearing it.... See, that natural scent of hers mixed with what used to be one of my favorite fragrances is now nauseating to me...

The interesting part is that now I can only wear that perfume at home and on weekends or if I know for sure that she is not going to be at work or wearing it.... I still wear it once in a while now but have not for a long time... and my fiancé just loves it, so I'll wear it for our alone time...

But it's so sad that such a wonderful scent can be ruined to me by something like this!!!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Did you ever know someone who smelled great naturally? *I was recently reminded of this while contemplating my Black Vetyver Café. It began to remind me of a dear friend. He was as close a friend as can be non-romantically, and he just smelled pleasant (we used to play rackquetball--warm skin, small room). He said I wasn't the first to notice this about him. And when he drank coffee, which was often, he was even more like BVC. He was full Hungarian, but not the paprika-eating sort, if that means anything.
    Yes, my ex. His skin and hair (and the clothes he had worn) smelled naturally divine. Even the times I was angry with him, or just fed up, he was still pleasant to be around for a scent-junkie like me (of course that last bit is just partially true).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Did you ever know someone who smelled great naturally?
    I've been thinking about this.

My ex (may he rot in his own stupidity) smelled wonderful. I can't describe the fragrance, but I loved it. He was actually kind of dopey, smart, but stupid at the same time, really WEIRD sense of humor that I frequently found annoying, never got sarcasm... Now that I come to think of it, people always used to ask me what I saw in him and I never really could give them an answer.

Maybe it was the way he smelled....

bonni
    -Karl, age 5

I can relate. I use public transportation every day and, no matter what the time of day or what particular train car I am riding in, one stinker always has to get on & plaster itself right within range of my nose. My last experience, I was prepared, however. A woman got on who smelled as though she had spent the entire day sitting in the bathroom, smokinga cigarette & being constipated. The aura of "john" was just sickening - like sitting in the men's room next to an unemptied bed pan. LOL [smiley=rolleyes.gif] [smiley=rolleyes.gif] [smiley=rolleyes.gif]
    I always keep a sample of fragrance in my purse and dot a few sprays on my finger, then rub beneath my nostrils. It beats the hell out of having to hold your breath and turn blue for the duration of the ride to or from work.
    Winters, however, are not quite as bad as spring & summer, depending on your proximity to the "downwind" as it were.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RitaMae
    I always keep a sample of fragrance in my purse and dot a few sprays on my finger, then rub beneath my nostrils. It beats the hell out of having to hold your breath and turn blue for the duration of the ride to or from work.
    Winters, however, are not quite as bad as spring & summer, depending on your proximity to the "downwind" as it were.
    Oh yes, it's a good remedy against stick attacks! I use that, too.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.