Code of Conduct

Default I wandered lonley as a cloud; yellow impressions

So, easter is emerging, and spring is in the air. I am wearing Mimosa pour moi today, and I am also wearing my bright yellow spring coat. I know colour questions have been put before, but I´ve got this nice yellow vibe at the moment, so here´s a little rant. Usually - if the weather isn´t too bad - I walk into work. That is a 35 minutes walk on a path for cyclists and pedestrians, alongside a very busy road and a large industrial area. So on one side are these grey lanes and their neverending streams of cars, trucks, buses and trams, and on the other side is a grass slope. Quite dull settings. But in a couple of weeks this slope will be covered with an enourmos field of wild growing daffodils, which makes this walk a mere joy. They look so out of place, but it is breathtaking, so uplifting, and I feel like I can understand what inspired Wordsworth to write his daffodil poem, referred to in the thread-title. Now, as I am writing this, there are still just leeks and green buds (yes... this is Scandinavia).

The mimosa flower has one of the most "yellow" smelling scents I know. This colour-impression is so strong for me, I imidiatley see the colour yellow when I smell any mimosa-scent. I really have to be in the right mood for that. Another fragrance that gives me the yellow impression is Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana. Whenever I wear it I fear I will be covered in bees ( * ). I am not sure what this yellowness is trigged by. There are the impression of flowers bursting with naturally collected sunshine, a warm buttery saltiness and a non-gourmand nectar sweetness.

What smells yellow to you? Or do you have any other visual impressions provoked by scent?

Default Re: I wandered lonley as a cloud; yellow impressio

Lemon blossoms smell like a pale yellow. Even though they're really white. Or do they smell yellow because I know they will eventually be lemons which are yellow? It's difficult to divorce preconceptions from the sensory impression. It would be easier to get a color impression with a blind sniffing.

Big fat magnolia blossoms smell pale, pale yellow (faintly lemony).
    Freesia blossoms smell very yellow, too.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

What lovely impressions you have. It's a challenge for me to imagine a yellow smell (other than corn and butter, but I live in Wisconsin, known as "America's Dairyland&quot. I tend to think of florals as smelling pink.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I don't get color impressions from fragrances like some people do. But I remember once my son (11 yr old) sniffed my arm and immediately piped "That smells light blue." I can't recall which scent it was, but the incident comes to mind reading this. He's so innocent of all the perfume press releases and imagery. And his immediate gut reaction was "light blue." It struck me as so odd at the time, sweet and interesting.

I do remember it was not D&G Light Blue.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

What an interesting topic!!

Most of my color/scent interpretations and imagery will only be in RED... When I smell a certain scent and see RED I call those my RED/CARNAL/SEXY scents... but some PURPLE scents fall into this category too...

Once in a while I'll get other colors like PURPLE scents and BLUE scents although BLUE scents to me are usually likened to either male colognes or very aquatic scents where I can see a whole blue/azure ocean LOL

Yellow now that I'm thinking of it is not a color I usually associate with any other scent then Amarige which I also find too sharp for my taste so I never wear... But it could be mimosa in it that makes me think of YELLOW when I smell Amarige....

"Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I was not a fan of yellow, prefering shades of grey from charcoal to dove, until a vacation in the south of France. I remember the smell of the sea and citrus.

After a trip to an ancient city square's market with the most beautiful roses - 20 francs for two dozen - *huge masses of flowers scenting the air - lunch at La Chèvre D'or. A white and yellow canopy shaded the large terrace overlooking the sea at the back of the hotel. Winding my way back down the hill through the medieval city, I stopped to pet a cat sunning itself, "Bonjour, Monsieur Chat." A woman, the cat's owner, beckoned me into her shop which was also her home, which must have been more than 500 years old. It took my sunblasted eyes a moment to adjust having just come in from the blindingly white streets. She was a sculptress and made cat figurines. Although I don't speak French and she didn't speak English, we negotiated a transaction; I always come home with a new cat from an adventure. The stark whiteness of her house was accented with the blue figurines and - yellow!

At the bottom of the hill, I heard a throaty roar. A yellow Lamborghini coasted to a stop (the streets of Eze are too narrow for a car to pass through) and a woman climbed out of the car and put on a large yellow straw hat. She was wearing a white halter sundress with large yellow polka dots. I wish I'd been near enough to sense what she was wearing.

Several other amazing yellow / citrus encounters occurred during the course of that afternoon. I am not quite a convert to yellow but during vacation on a 'day at sea' after developing a bit of a tan (I am a white person) I actually celebrate out by the pool- yellow bikini, Schweppe's Tonic with a twist (yellow can), my yellow furisode and towel, Vetiver Eau Glacee *- in honor of that perfect day.

A lot of vetivers have an initial hesperidic blast that soon fades. Definitely have to get a citrus. I'm so glad you reminded me. Thanks, Vinterdroppe. Vetiver Eau Glacee extremely rare. Vetiver layered with Aqua Allegoria Lemon-Fresca? Orange Magnifica? Pamplelune? Soon the 'What Is Your Favorite Citrus?' threads will come into bloom and yield dozens of fruitful suggestions.

What nice memories, Veronica. Thank you for sharing them. Reading them, I feel like I'm right there with you under the southern French sun. I love your cat sculptress. I think I will buy myself a new yellow tee shirt to wear with white jeans -- and what will be my yellow fragrance? Yet another fragrance quest. :-)

Thank you so much for your replies, ladies!

Yes Veronica, I imagine the citrus-thread-buds are bursting soon *
    I´ve been posting here for about eight months now, I have noticed the community has some kind of harvest calendar of its own.

The yellowest fragrance I have ever owned was Yves Rocher Ode a la Joie, reminds me of my cousin, sunlit garden and canned pineapple. Versace Yellow Jeans (darn April Fool when I left a wallet at work and did not buy a mini!) would be a very close second.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, always interesting to read them!

I seldom visualize colors with fragrances, so when I do it's special.

Rose D'Ete by Parfum De Rosine, which is described as being a yellow rose, actually brings to mind a yellow rose. I was surprised by the impression, but there it is.
    Apple is listed as an ingredient, which I think has some influence on the color memory. A yellow apple of course. I like Rose D'Ete, and am haunting ebay to buy a bottle for summer. It's a sort of cheerful summer rose.

Most perfume descriptions are studies in fragrance euphoria run amuck. But this one came through.

Lovely topic!

I often "see" scents as colours, too, and agree about mimosa: it does smell yellow. So do citrus scents. Fruity Chypres with plum and peach notes smell yellow, too, but that's a darker and warmer shade.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers is the most yellow fragrance I can think of (and of course I refer to the smell, although it is yellow in actual color, and so is the box).

This is an interesting topic, because just the other day I said to my husband that a particular fragrance smelled "soft green" and he just looked at me. I said, "What? Don't smells conjour colours for you?" and he said, "No, I don't have synesthesia."

Now I certainly don't have synesthesia, but I do think many fragrances smell like a certain colour (or conjure a particular mood, which for me also translates as a colour sometimes). I am an artist, classical training and all and I am particularly attuned to colour, but honestly, I thought that MOST people would associate scents with colours.

Don't they?

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Many thanks again for the replies, I love hearing your thoughts on this.

I agree that it´s difficult to separate the actual colour impressions from the colour-scents. I guess perhaps, at some point the imprint of something is so strong that this colour and scent are forever connected. That said, like some other people I know of, I associate certain names of people, days of the weeks and numbers with coclours too.

Hmmm I just remembered two scents that used to make me think of YELLOW whenever I'd wear them... Very happy memories connected to both... Fragranced Bodyspray Eau Vitaminee *by Biotherm!

Ohh I used to love this stuff for the summer when I was in my early 20s... "Natural Citrus Fruits Essences are blended to create a scent that is fresh yet subtle.This refreshing fragrance mist invigorates and energizes. With Vitamin E and other hydrating ingredients, it leaves skin moistened and soft" Very vibrant scent!

The other one that bring to my mind memories of yellow.... yellow flowers and yellow leaves in autumn... is Poême by Lancôme... I see a more golden shade of yellow... like a 'gold colored world of magic'....

Thank you all for making me remember these awesome memories....

Of course now I'll have to go out and get a bottle of *Eau Vitaminee for the summer again
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

dior's Dolce Vita
    dior's Eau de Dolce Vita
    dior's diorsissimo
    lancome's attraction summer
    hermès calèche eau delicate
    hermès eau de merveilles
    yardley's Narcissus
    Parfums de Rosine's Ecume de Rose

Hmmm, I went out to the country for a fishing trip yesterday and we passed a large field solidly covered with Golden Rod. I though of you Vinterdroppe! It was impressively lovely, even if it makes people sneeze. ;D

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Hmmm, *I went out to the country for a fishing trip yesterday and we passed a large field solidly covered with Golden Rod. *I thought of you Vinterdroppe! * It was impressively lovely, *even if it makes people sneeze. ;D
    Ah, native-plant enthusiast here to defend Canada Goldenrod's sleezy-sneezy reputation. Allergies associated with goldenrod actually are attributable to ragweed, which flowers at the same time but whose flowers are relatively inconspicuous and whose pollen is very tiny, and therefore quickly made airborne. The goldenrod pollen is too heavy to fly. Canada Goldenrod, the variety you're most likely to see monopolizing disturbed areas, is not prized amongst natural landscapers because it is an aggresive specie spreading by both rhizome and seed. There are several other varieties of goldenrod that are valuable to wildlife and decorative in the garden. *:-*Shycat, *:-* Vinterdroppe
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Agreeing with Goddess Dreams. How could I forget Poeme? Very very very yellow!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    [quote author=Shycat link=1144746994/15#15 date=1144877946]Hmmm, I went out to the country for a fishing trip yesterday and we passed a large field solidly covered with Golden Rod. I thought of you Vinterdroppe! It was impressively lovely, even if it makes people sneeze. ;D
    Ah, native-plant enthusiast here to defend Canada Goldenrod's sleezy-sneezy reputation. Allergies associated with goldenrod actually are attributable to ragweed, which flowers at the same time but whose flowers are relatively inconspicuous and whose pollen is very tiny, and therefore quickly made airborne. The goldenrod pollen is too heavy to fly. Canada Goldenrod, the variety you're most likely to see monopolizing disturbed areas, is not prized amongst natural landscapers because it is an aggresive specie spreading by both rhizome and seed. There are several other varieties of goldenrod that are valuable to wildlife and decorative in the garden. :-*Shycat, :-* Vinterdroppe[/quote]

Thank you! I feel better somehow appreciating the beauty knowing it's not really hurting anybody.