Code of Conduct

Default "Pure" White Linen by Estée Lauder (notes+review)

From WWD.com

What was only a rumor in December is now confirmed: Pure White Linen will be launched in April.
    "it's not a flanker," said *John Demsey, global president of the Estée Lauder and MAC Cosmetics brands at the Estée Lauder Cos. Advertising featuring Paltrow will break in fashion magazines in July, and features the Oscar-winning actress (pre-pregnancy) in an ethereal white linen Balenciaga dress. The campaign was shot by Mario Testino at the Huntington Library in Pasadena, Calif., in the fall.

!!!Stroll down for updated info on the notes!!!

I also added a review on the second page today.

Default Re: New: "Pure" White Linen by Estée Lauder.

Thanks for the info, Cedric!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Good news, Cedric, thanks!

I love White Linen, esp. W L Breeze.

It is so nice of you to always provide us with the newest information! :-* :-* :-*
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

The name confuses me. "Pure" as opposed to "impure"? I guess no one would buy it if it were called "Soiled White Linen" or "Dirty White Linen." (Well, someone would, but probably a different marketing target from Lauder's usual customers). I just wish companies would come up with more exciting, more artistic names. "Poison" was a cool name in its time. "Pure Poison" just seems silly. Some of the latest fragrance names may as well be "Generic Estee Lauder Fragrance 1" because their names just aren't catchy. And why use "Pure" again? People are going to confuse Pure Poison with Pure White Linen and Pure Vetiver and Pure Life and Pure Wish and Pure Cashmere and Pure Joy and Pure...Does "pure" indicate a specific formulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    Does "pure" indicate a specific formulation?
    No, I don`t really think so. It`s just a trend, like the colours. After pink came purple, etc. Just look at the cosmetics marketing; copy-cats all over.
    I personally hope the trend will turn towards more "old-fashioned" fragrances again, I`m tired of pure, fresh and fruity...
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    I guess no one would buy it if it were called "Soiled White Linen" or "Dirty White Linen."
    Hmmm, maybe Wrinkled White Linen?

:-X

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Cedric, thanks for the news as always. That is ever so sweet of you to keep us all well informed.

Not another "pure"! If it was "Pure Linen" it would have made some sense. But doesn't the white imply purity already? Is this another Tom Ford thing?
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

No, it isn't a Tom Ford relate release.

BTW you can now watch the Pleasures TV ad, in which Gweneth Paltrow looks much better than in the print at.
    http://www.esteelauder.com/templates...D=CATEGORY6835

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    No, it isn't a Tom Ford relate release. *

BTW you can now watch the Pleasures TV ad, in which Gweneth Paltrow looks much better than in the print at.
    That was my first thought....a Tom Ford re-release. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief. Thanks, Cedric. [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

No, it isn't a Tom Ford relate release. *

the print ad is soooo awful. i can't believe mario testino shot it.

Default Re: "Pure" White Linen by Estée Lauder (notes upda

Here is more info about the notes...

Fragrance family: Fruity Floral (oh! No! :-[)
    Composed by *Karyn Khoury, senior vice president of fragrance development worldwide for the Estée Lauder Cos, and IFF.

-top: grapefruit, Italian mandarin, iced rose tea, raspberry, pear and apple notes.
    -heart: red tulip, rose, wild honeysuckle, gardenia petals, jasmine and tuberose.
    -base: white cedarwood, patchouli and white heliotrope.

National print advertising, shot by Mario Testino featuring Gwyneth Paltrow(in Balenciaga dress). TV ad to follow later this year.

Eaux de parfum in three sizes — 1 oz. for $35, 1.7 oz. for $45 and 3.4 oz. for $65 — will be offered beginning in April, with two ancillaries, a 6.7-oz. body wash for $27.50 and a 6.7-oz. body lotion for $36, coming in July.

Here is more info about the notes...

Composed by *Karyn Khoury, senior vice president of fragrance development worldwide for the Estée Lauder Cos, and IFF.

-top: grapefruit, Italian mandarin, iced rose tea, raspberry, pear and apple notes.
    -heart: red tulip, rose, wild honeysuckle, gardenia petals, jasmine and tuberose.

National print advertising, shot by Mario Testino featuring Gwyneth Paltrow(in Balenciaga dress). TV ad to follow later this year.

Eaux de parfum in three sizes — 1 oz. for $35, 1.7 oz. for $45 and 3.4 oz. for $65 — will be offered beginning in April, with two ancillaries, a 6.7-oz. body wash for $27.50 and a 6.7-oz. body lotion for $36, coming in July.
    So, no civet this time. Maybe that´s what "pure" refers to.
    Next step would be 100 % virgin pure White Linen?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe
    [quote author=cedriceccentric link=1143187478/0#10 date=1143798092]Here is more info about the notes...

Composed by Karyn Khoury, senior vice president of fragrance development worldwide for the Estée Lauder Cos, and IFF.

So, no civet this time. Maybe that´s what "pure" refers to.
    Next step would be 100 % virgin pure White Linen?

[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Or: 100% extra virgin pure White Linen fresh??

The notes sound rather different from the other "linens", though...

I will test this one, for sure!
    --Bob Dylan

Pure White Linen is already available on ebay:

For a full size:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-White-Linen...QQcmdZViewItem

or a mini spray they send to SAs as a preview:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-White-Linen...QQcmdZViewItem

or even a sample with card:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ESTEE-LAUDER-PUR...QQcmdZViewItem

I already bought (blind) my 1.7oz bottle.

Let us know how it is!

btw, I have to throw in my two cents re: Gwyneth. I loathe the Pleasures commercials that have been on tv the last few months. It's embarrassing--like she is trying to sound sexy and sultry when she is probably the least sexy/sultry actress I can think of. I miss the days of Liz Hurley and Carolyn Murphy. While a celeb spokesperson is nice sometimes, most of the time it almost seems sort of desperate on the company's part.

I miss the early/mid '90s, back when models were models--Linda, Claudia, Paulina, Naomi, Cindy, Christy, etc. I like to see models modeling, not actresses endorsing. Some of my favorite perfume ads feaured actual models--I loved all the Eternity ones with Christy Turlington and the Charlie ones with Linda Evangelista. I wish models would rise again!

Poor, poor Gwyneth...I guess Kate Moss was too busy too take this job. :
    --Bob Dylan

I tried this today. To me it doesn't smell at all like the original. But I only tried it on a paper strip, did not try it on my skin. It's pretty fruity and light. It didn't really grab me because I wasn't in the mood for fruity. The new Summer Pleasures (I think that's the name) wasn't bad. Really just a lighter version of the original Pleasures.

Quote Originally Posted by gooderin
    Let us know how it is!

btw, I have to throw in my two cents re: Gwyneth. I loathe the Pleasures commercials that have been on tv the last few months. It's embarrassing--like she is trying to sound sexy and sultry when she is probably the least sexy/sultry actress I can think of. I miss the days of Liz Hurley and Carolyn Murphy. While a celeb spokesperson is nice sometimes, most of the time it almost seems sort of desperate on the company's part.

I miss the early/mid '90s, back when models were models--Linda, Claudia, Paulina, Naomi, Cindy, Christy, etc. I like to see models modeling, not actresses endorsing. Some of my favorite perfume ads feaured actual models--I loved all the Eternity ones with Christy Turlington and the Charlie ones with Linda Evangelista. I wish models would rise again!
    I think Gwyneth is lovely to look at, but her speaking voice is flat and nasal - not sexy imo.

Actors/actresses have taken over the fashon mag covers, too, have you noticed?

I think the notes of the new White Linen fragrance sound nice. I will definitely give it a sniff when it comes out. If it can make me shell out $$ then it's a winner. But somehow I don't think it will! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    [quote author=gooderin link=1143187478/0#14 date=1143846319]Actors/actresses have taken over the fashon mag covers, too, have you noticed?
    I've definitely noticed that--it's very rare to see an actual model on the cover of a glossy nowadays. I think this has to do with a combo of wanting people to pick up the mag (they think if there is someone recognizable on the cover, more people are likely to pick it up, which is prob true in some cases) and not wanting to spend money (they have to PAY the models, the actors and actresses do not get paid to appear on the cover of the mags).

Magazine covers and editorials don't pay that well for models, because magazines concider it as sort of a advertisement for the model. Being featured in a magazine will help a model to get the very well paid ad campaigns, catalog and catwalk jobs. Linda Evangelista famously used to only get out of bed for $10.000, but was "only" paid the minimal fee when she was featured on the cover of Vogue.

Vogue's Anna Wintour and InStyle were the first fashion magazines to put celebrities on their covers and soon sales went up. Others just had to do the same to stay in the run.

By the way, since when do tulips have a fragrance?

The fresh flowers have a very faint, crisp and fresh scent though, if you really lean your face into them and inhale (and I love it!). But it would surprise me if it was possible to extract fragrance from the flower.

I didn't really like the original, hopefully this one goes differently... :-/

Like Vinterdroppe, I do find that Tulips have a scent eventho it's very faint. For me it's a vegetal/moist smell... a bit like when you enter a flower shop but 99% less strong.

Ofcourse, Tulips are impossible to extract to my knowledge, and if it's possible there mustn't be much going on. Knowing Estee Lauder's Karyn Khoury love (and abuse... Beyond Paradise) of the "living flower" technolgy, that is what she must have done to recreate the scent of tulips.

... but "tulip" could be just the name of a synthetic accord, like say "cashmere woods", to give a perfume a floral moist effect. :-/

[quote author=sherrie11 link=1143187478/15#20 date=1143924218]By the way, since when do tulips have a fragrance?
    Like Vinterdroppe, I do find that Tulips have a scent eventho it's very faint. For me it's a vegetal/moist smell... a bit like when you enter a flower shop but 99% less strong.

Ofcourse, Tulips are impossible to extract to my knowledge, and if it's possible there mustn't be much going on. Knowing Estee Lauder's Karyn Khoury love (and abuse... Beyond Paradise) of the "living flower" technolgy, that is what she must have done to recreate the scent of tulips.

... but "tulip" could be just the name of a synthetic accord, like say "cashmere woods", to give a perfume a floral moist effect. :-/[/quote]
    I was being semi-tongue-in-cheek. I know red tulips have a faint fragrance. I love them. I had them on my Christmas table. I figured it must be one of those "cashmere woods" things. ;-) I really don't like Beyond Paradise either. But I do like Pleasures and its variations, not having worn them just smelling them on others.

Sniffed it at Ayres last Friday...I was NOT impressed one bit.

It smelled like (drumroll please...) bug spray. Yup, it smelled like original Deep Woods OFF!, and this is something I would NOT like my girlfriend to wear.

Sorry, Estee.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Pure White Linen arrived in my mail today (together with Amber Nude).

Except for the crisp feeling Pure WL has nothing to do with the original WL.
    At first spray I thought of Pleasures (I'm in a big time Pleasures phase right now), but soon the true character of the fragrance appears. First with with predominant gapefruit and pear notes. The heart is green yet sweet, must be the honeysuckle. The patchouli is rather contrasting at first but the earthy note becomes more harmonious within the composition after a while. Overall it reminds me of the original Lauren by Ralph Lauren.

Pure White Linen does not seem as concentrated as other Estee Lauder fragrances. The edp is more like an edt IMHO. Should be very nice layered with Jo Malone's Honeysuckle & Jasmin cologne and bath & body products.

This will be great for my Greek Islands vacation coming in 2 months.

Default Re: "Pure" White Linen by Estée Lauder (notes+revi

Thanks for the update! I used to wear Lauren - I loved it back in the day. Will definitely check out Pure WL, though EL fragrances can sometimes be a bit standoffish or weird with me so I don't have high hopes there.