Code of Conduct

Thread: AG Songe?

Default AG Songe?

I tried Annick Goutal Songe on a paper strip the other day. At first spray it was jasminy sweet but also a little stinky, with a bitterness to it. Like when you sniff to get through the stinky part to the heart of the sweet flower and it keeps receding so you can't stop sniffing. A little peculiar (but addictive) and distinctly ORGANIC smelling, which is a nice change from all the synthetics. Now, a couple of days later, the fragrance on the strip smells vanillic and woody. I really love inhaling this fragrance. I think I might actually purchase a bottle (a big deal for me), but I still need to go back and try it on my skin to make certain I want to wear it.

Anybody here on Basenotes wear Songe? I'd love to know your thoughts and impressions of it. :-)

Default Re: AG Songe?

I got a little mad because it lists jasmine as a note when really, after the drydown, there's not a single floral touch anywhere. It's spicy/vanilla/woody. In other words, I HATED it. Someone compared it to a fancy Vanilla Fields. But...if you've already tried it and know you like it then go ahead and love it I think it just surprised me that it wasn't floral bad for me but sounds like good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by makemepretty
    I got a little mad because it lists jasmine as a note when really, after the drydown, there's not a single floral touch anywhere. *It's spicy/vanilla/woody. *In other words, I HATED it. *Someone compared it to a fancy Vanilla Fields. *But...if you've already tried it and know you like it then go ahead and love it * *I think it just surprised me that it wasn't floral bad for me but sounds like good for you!
    Well, so far I love it on the paper strip, but still have to try it on my skin. I can certainly understand your disappointment in the floral note not lasting all the way through. Especially if you bought a bottle based on that note -- AG's can be expensive mistakes if you don't love them. I love the drydown so don't have a problem with that, but it would be nice if the floral note didn't dissipate immediately. We'll see.

Hmmm...fancy Vanilla Fields? You think so? :-/

I ordered a decant of Songes on Ebay last night. I've been really curious about this one, so I'll let you know what I think when it arrives. Your description is reminding me of Chanel Gardenia, because on me it's heavy jasmine at first and dries down to vanilla. I love it, so I'm excited about trying Songes!

I'll look forward to reading your review, Tovah. :-)

I was really disappointed! I love jasmine and I love my goutals so I was really excited. But to me, it smells just like L'artisan's vanilia but with a frangipani note on top. somehow, frangipani always smells kind of waxy on me, and Songes is no exception. I can appreciate the fragrance when I sniff my sample, but can't bear it on me. And I can barely detect the jasmine!

Basenotes Plus

Had such high hopes for this one but alas, it was cat nasty on me. :'(
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

No lovers of Songe yet. :-/

I still haven't tried it on me yet. Meant to this weekend but never did.

I got my decant of AG Songes today and I've been wearing it since this morning. I am disappointed and relieved at the same time. At first it smelled like a very, very close relation to Carnal Flower, but as it warmed on my skin a bit, it smelled like oakey Chardonnay. As it's dried down, it has a distinct note of Moth Balls. This is not the unusual camphor note present in Carnal Flower, which is rather hypnotic. This is definitely Moth Balls, straight from a mildewy closet in an old house. I don't like to smell like Moth Balls.

The relief I feel is that in spite of my love of the bottle itself, I'm not feeling any pressing need to buy this fragrance. But, of course, I'm sad, because I had high expectations for it. I hate that my body chemistry makes an unpleasant odor out of what is probably an amazing perfume. Oh well. Carnal Flower, which gets weird on others, is extraordinarily wonderful on me, and I really can't afford the Songes anyways. :-/

Yuck, Tovah!

I'm sorry you were disappointed. Thanks for getting back with your impressions. Now I really can't wait to try it, just to see if I get grossed out, too. :-D This weekend, without fail, I'm going on a sniffing excursion.

Sherrie11 - PMed you