Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default How to open and reseal crimped-on sprayers

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    I purchase in large sizes and the 2.5 oz. bottle seems delicate. And it has the predictable crimped-on sprayer. If Vetiver Sport was to be released in a 6.8 oz / 200 ml EdT splash, I would buy it just to have 'Veronica' engraved on it like a Serge Lutens' 'bell bottle'.
    I've successful opened and resealed a Guerlain sprayer. A couple months ago I cleaned up my stash of leftover frag samples by swapping them for decants of With Love from different gals. I amassed a nice quantity of WL, plus a spare bottle. I found I could pry the sprayer from the bottle with a pliers padded with cloth. Once I'd filled the bottle, I used a combination of superglue and teflon tape to re-seat the sprayer. Without the teflon tape, the bond was too loose, but the combo of tape and glue made the seal like new (I did not have to put any pressure on the metal).

Teflon tape is not so much tape as it is an extremely thin, flexible, stretchy, waterproof ribbon. It's available at any hardware store.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: How to open and reseal crimped-on sprayers

Pretty Martha Stewart-y with the uncrimping, pal. My comment was a subtle shot at Guerlain (and every manufacturer with a crimping tool) for you to catch me out. I am glad you did. (I still would like a 6.8 oz. / 200 ml Vetiver Sport EdT splash - ever more if it had a screw-on sprayer.)

You got me going because my only attempt at removing a crimped-on sprayer was with 1.7 oz. / 50 ml Malizia Uomo Vetyver EdT spray clocking in at $3.25 USD, making Vetyver the laboratory victim of choice. There is a substantial ring on the glass collar of the Vetyver bottle and visible crimping and 'folding' of the sprayer's metal ferrule beneath the collar. *Althought the Vetyver bottle itself is rather heavy in proportion to its size, the glass collar proved to be delicate and - snap! - the rudiments of a miniature Molotov cocktail.

To prove your work, I took an almost-depleted *4.2 oz. / 125 ml Vetiver EdT spray, removed the decorative ferrule-cover with thumb and forefinger (slight distortion to cover latitudinally - but don't worry - it easily returns to its proper shape), to uncover the soft plastic ferrule. Again, with thumb and forefinger, remove the spray head / diffuser to expose the pump mechanism. With pliers, grasp the sides of the soft plastic ferrule and apply a gentle, upward force. Then simply lift off the pump mechanism. Voila!

Vetiver was a fairly easy disassembly owing to the angular bottle. Incidentally, did you know L'Occitane's bottles have screw-on sprayers? Both old and new.

If Guerlain can make 'refills' (such as Chant D'Aromes) and optional sprayers for the Les Parisiennes - why can't they make screw-on sprayers for everything? This is one instance upon opening a box I would be more than pleased to see 'Some Assembly Required'.

What have we learned?

1. Some bottles can't be uncrimped. Some bottles can. Some bottles have screw-on sprayers.

2. Quarry and I have 'un-sealed' our fate. We will never be able to trade bottles on the Sell 'N' Swap board. Please forward our mail to the Basenotes' Oubliette.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Pretty Martha Stewart-y with the uncrimping, pal.
    I'd prefer a McGyver comparison.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    [quote author=Veronica link=1144592335/0#1 date=1144609225]Pretty Martha Stewart-y with the uncrimping, pal.
    I'd prefer a McGyver comparison.[/quote]

Okay, McGyver. Rescue us from the oubliette.

To reassemble a leak-free Vetiver I did not require Superglue or teflon tape *- ha ha ha, I had some tefon tape from a plumbing project I screwed up. I thought, 'What could be easier? The pipes are hollow and the water goes through'. Plumbing is a lot easier in theory than in practice. Remember: Safety First. Water and electricity are not an ideal combination for the novice.

Was the ferrule on your With Love made of something other than soft plastic? Once reassembled with teflon tape and Superglue can it be disassembled again?

Checked a few others. Guerlain seems to prefer soft plastic. I would be willing to bet the soft plastic ferrule almost negates leakage because it seals better than a metal ferrule. There may be heat-set marks rather than traditional crimps to hold the ferrule in place.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Was the ferrule on your With Love made of something other than soft plastic? Once reassembled with teflon tape and Superglue can it be disassembled again?
    I think this bottle's fate is sealed permanently, and I didn't make an exploded-view diagram prior to reassembly, but what I remember is that the sides of the collar were all metal, and that's the only area I treated.

Teflon tape, crimping & uncrimping, plumbing, ferrules, pliers......

There's a little too much testosterone going on in this thread......and it's turning me on