Code of Conduct

Default Incense-y fragrances

I've been searching through the Directory here and not having a great deal of luck, so I figured I'd ask.

What are some fragrances that have an incense-y feel to them? I'm thinking along the lines of Opium, but just general sweetish, slightly spicy, smoky type smells that remind you of incense.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Default Re: Incense-y fragrances

Palisander by Comme des Garons Series 2: Red. *I love this one. *You can order a $3 sample from luckyscents.com. *I mix it with the Rose from the same series.

CdG also has the Incense Series...I tried Ouarzazate (too black peppery) and Jaisalmer. *It smells more like the incense in my local Greek Orthodox church.

I want to find something that smells like the incense on Easter & Christmas mass, and so far the closest thing I've smelled to that is Gucci Homme. *Supposedly, CdG's Avignon is close, but I haven't sampled it yet.

for me it's definitely Costume National (black bottle).

I found this other site that offers incense/resin scents. You can order samples.
    https://www.dshperfumes.com/resin_pdba.asp?page=2

You could try:
    DK Black Cashmere
    Feminite du Bois
    Idole de Lubin
    Diptyque Eau Lente
    Etro Messe de Minuit

I also like incensey smell & would recommend the Geisha collection of Aroma M (http://aromam.com/)

Besides, the classic Guerlain Shalimar has a distinct incensey smell in it as well

Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

PdN Vanille Tonka, for a sweeter incense. This is in the same family as the Diptyque Eau Lente and Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax; some find these essentially masculine. There is an interesting and unexpected note of "Yemenese" incense in the drydown PdN Sacrebleu!, a pastel jasmine fragrance with the coloration of an Easter egg.

The "real" incense is to be found in the CDG line. All others are just hints and nods and sideways glances.

Black Cashmere and YSL Nu are pretty joss stick-like to me. Messe de Minuit is wonderfully strange, but I don't think that's what you're after.

Bal Versailles is somewhat incensey too.

Hello Bonni!
    It's nice to see a (your) face

Actually I think I might do the same, after I could't keep Audrey due to copyright restrictions :'(

I remember Flower Kenzo Oriental leaving an insensey impression on me. But It's not an insensey scent, it's only one aspect of it-floral with olibanum note.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

My faves for the incense-y feel are of course YSL Nu and even though I don't see incense listed in Omnia there most certainly is a little bit of it in there... same thing with Initial (Boucheron) too...

Of course good old Obsession has incense in the base as well
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

To me Egoiste is very (sandalwood) incense-y, and it`s pretty easily wearable by ladies as well.

Of course, Black Cashmere will do as well.

I've bought Zagorsk today - a very mild insense
    I\m originally from Crimea, a southern part of the Ukraine and from the childhood I got used to the smells of the see, grass and lavender - the smells of south and hot air
    But in my dreams, especially when I can't get aspleep I think of a small house made of wood, surrounded by deep forest in winter
    When the air is transparantely cold and filled with smells of pine needles, smoke and insense
    And well I smell Zagorsk I feel like my dreems are coming true...

The MOST "insency" to me are MESSE de MINUIT and Creed's Angelique Encens.

My recs: (Some may already have been mentioned)

Regina Harris Rose Maroc
    PdN Sacrebleu
    Chanel No. 22 (fascinating)
    Amouage Gold
    Bandit
    Dinner By Bobo
    Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi
    Angelique Encens (LOVE)
    CdG Avignon
    CdG Ouarzazate (one my favorites)
    L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer (amazing)
    L'Artisan Mechant Loup
    Keiko Mecheri Myrrh & Merveilles (this one is gorgeous)
    10 Corso Como

Can you tell I like incense?

I may be in the minority, but I think Ambre Sultan has an incense-y feel.

Sometimes I get a oh-so-very-slight whiff of incense in Chergui. (But not always)

I love the incense in Passage d'Enfer, but it took a few wearings until I got it.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer is my newest incense love. I don't have it - yet ...

Of course, Black Cashmere, Avignon, Nu, Eau Lente, and Angelique Encens are favorites too.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

To the excellent suggestions already listed I'd add the magnificent Caron Parfum Sacre - complex, spicy oriental, sweet with myrrh, and has a wonderful dusty rose note. It's more of a suggestion of incense rather than a literal interpretation as with, say, CdG Avignon - now that's the one you want for a dead on, authentic recreation of Roman Catholic church incense.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Oliban by Keiko Mecheri reminds me of standing in a store, right near the shelves that hold the packages of incense. I get the smell of incense, but not the harshness of lit incense.

I've been the queen of incense this winter. It's sometimes all I've felt like wearing.

For the ULTIMATE in incense: Norma Kamali Incense. This is a fascinating, deep, dark, rich, potent brew of burning frankincense, copal, myrrh and even the hot charcoal tablet thrown in for good measure. Just a couple drops registers a sillage of "incense" to others. This truly is lovely when layered, as suggested, with Norma Kamali Perfume. Also layers well with Jil Sander No 4 and Etro Sandalo. Have yet to try it with Joy...

Shaal Nur by Etro. Another one that's been getting lots of wear. Kind of a "shaving creme" opening on me that mutes to a soft citrus-rose (that's the most un-rose I know) on a bed of incense and vanilla. I just love this one and would absolutely bathe in it if I weren't afraid I'd get olfactory fatigue and someday not be able to smell it.

Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque- Turkish Smoke. Okay, it's smoke but it smells just like incense with skin and dried rose petals and honey and powder and more incense and campfires and more incense. Just gorgeous!

Angelique Encens. For a time I had the huge bottle in its box on my desk. Every once in awhile I'd catch this WONDERFUL waft of incense while I was working. It took me some time to figure it out- duh! Everything about this one paints a soft, misty, grey/blue image- just like a wisp of smoke rising off a stick of incense. Another one to be head-over-heels for.

Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande. A fresh burst of floral lavender undercut with the pungency of sage and hot coals of incense. A beauty that will someday be full-bottle worthy if I ever get to France.

Some other worthy mentions:

Demeter's Holy Smoke (gone in 15 minutes though- but good.)
    CdG Avignon (I prefer NK's Incense above though.)
    Messe de Minuit (wonderful but weird and not for the "un-initiated.&quot
    Sandalo by Etro (not really incense, but almost-incense.)
    L'Air du desert marocain (almost too dry to be incense but it has that feel.)
    Padparadscha by Satellite (cross between L'Air du desert marocain & CdG Avignon but with a "fleshy" note in the heart- not sure I like this one.)

I also agree that Shalimar does have an incense feel into the dryout. I love Shalimar.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

All the suggestions above are great. To that I would like to add:

Gucci pour Homme
    Armani Privee Bois d'Encens (hopefully you can get a charitable tax receipt for that one - though for a more reasonable price you can try Vignon; both are dead on frankincense incense in a Catholic church.
    And lastly - Fete d'Hiver - my own perfume for the winter - with a base of incense, and a heart of roses with a hint of spice, citrus top notes with a hint of gardenia and spices as well. It reminds me of snow and fuzzy sweaters.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

The most potent of the incense lot to me would be DK's Black Cashmere.
    Then the two Carons, Parfum Sacre & Nuit de Noel. If it's 60's head shop aura that you're after, then I would say Lush's Karma.

Hi, I love Avignon and consider it to be the ultimate incensey scent. I, also, agree with already mentioned Nu, Black Cashmere, and I love B&BW Sandalwood Rose - this smells very incensey to me and lasts a long time. I have it in the lotion and the body mist.

Ruby

Audrey has already mentioned - Kenzo Flower Oriental:

www.kenzoparfums.com/EN/_fbko/fbko.html

A new fragrance, born of the union between FLOWERBYKENZO and rare aromatic incense woods.

Asia is home to the Agar, a tree with
    resin that is an inestimable treasure:
    its slow fusion with the wood yields
    the rarest and most highly prized
    of all incense: Kyara.

For centuries in Japan, Kyara has been
    at the heart of a unique ceremony
    dedicated to the appreciation of incense:
    the Kd ceremony*.

An established ritual, the Kd ceremony
    is also an art form. The art of incense, of
    the mingling of woods and their mysteries.

FLOWERBYKENZO's original harmony has overtones of rare and refined incense-bearing woods....

Nu, Addict...

My favorites in this department are NU, Samsara and Addict although I would love to still own Parfum Sacre but I'm now out :'(

Flower by Kenzo Oriental is a nice one

My incense of choice is Kyoto. Not on the sweet side, but earthy and a little smokey, just slightly raw.....
    Very relaxing and calm.

Michael Edwards database lists the following well regarded fragrances as having a frankincense note.

Czech & Speak Cuba
    L' Artisan Parfumeur Passage d'Enfer

Michael Edwards database lists the following well regarded fragrances as having a frankincense note.

Czech & Speak Cuba
    L' Artisan Parfumeur Passage d'Enfer

I didn't read the previous comments and feel free to blame me if someone mentioned

Armani Mania for women - the original black one not white

Tam Dao Dyptique - it is almost pure incense and I personally think you could easily layer it with some complimenting scents to give them a boost

Black Cahmere DK

How about Barbara Bui?! I love this one

spices, incense, jasmine, white musk, sandalwood, heliotrope, cedar and amber,

Blog Entries

Shalimar by Guerlain
    Infusion d'Iris by Prada
    Poison by Dior
    LouLou by Cacharel
    Opium by Yves Saint Laurent
    Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes
    Obsession by Calvin Klein
    Youth-Dew by Estee Lauder
    Queen by Queen Latifah by Queen Latifah
    Cinnabar by Estee Lauder
    Habanita by Molinard

I second Barbara Bui and Black Cashmere, but for true incense scents here are two no one has mentioned: Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant (tobacco-incense) and a great inexpensive one, V'Tae Sacred Fire.

I only have two incensy frags - original Poison & Obsession. Limited, but I'm expanding slowly ^_^

OLIVIER DURBANO you should try all of his creations!!

Ooh! Lots of good ones mentioned already.

If you like the Nag Champa incense, try Monyette Paris or Dawn Spencer Hurwitz (DSH) Ashram.

Mathew Williamson Incense is also nice.

Cafe by Cafe is a sweet oriental similar to Opium and oh so cheap!

Another cheapy with a nice sweet smoky smell is Jacomo's Silences Puprle.

Only ones I can think of are comme des garcons. L'occitane do a couple which are nice.
    Also Matthew williamson incense is meant to be nice.

I seem to remember reading that the Michael Kors one has a bit of an incensey vibe about it

L by Lolita Lempicka smells exactly like Nag Champa incense.