Code of Conduct

Default Awful bottles--form/function

Okay, I love my Escada Signature (2005) bottle as long as I am able to just look at it. But it is the most unwieldy perfume bottle I've ever held! I have to use both hands on this beast of a bottle. And most of the perfume ends up on the bottle or my fingers. Horrible design.

Default Re: Awful bottles--form/function

I find the Bulgari Omnia bottle very strange. I never know what to do with it when I pick it up from in from the shelf in the department store.*I like the fragrance, though.

Basenotes Plus

I returned my bottle of Paul Smith Floral. Not because I didn't like the fragrance but because the sprayer worked so badly. It was "cheap", plain & simple. The nozzel fell off, the juice sputtered & dripped whenever sprayed. It was such a waste!

To make matters worse, the bottle was really difficult to hold.

I couldn't justify keeping it. Everytime I wore it, I felt like I'd been ripped off.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I have a 100ml bottle of Tresor, and I find the bottle extremely beautiful (love that inverted pyramid!) but it's quite a pain to handle when actually applying the fragrance, I find.

And the bottle for Givenchy Very Irresistible is really beautiful but it's a real pain in the neck to put back in the box and to put the lid on! It's sort of trangular and if you don't put on the lid at just the right angle and put the bottle in the box at just the right angle, they don't fit.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Donna Karan Signature. Nightmare to spray,that weird beak like sprayer the rubber top!!!
    DONNA

Me too with Omnia here, it squirts out not sprays... you better have a good aim with that one

I have problems with sprays so often

It's either it's far too much coming out, or nothing at all, or it all goes on 1sq.cm of the skin and smells horribly intense...

I prefer dabbing. I guess I should get some small dabbing vials...but some bottles are so beautiful!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Euphoria's bottle is pretty unwieldly.

The Marc Jacobs For Women bottles absolutely slay me! Not very ergonomically correct, and far too big and clumsy for the average female hand. I always wind up dropping the damned bottle, usually klunking it onto my bare toes. [smiley=sad.gif] It's my favorite of all the gardenias, but I have to use a steady hand when applying it or else I'll really injure myself. I didn't have the same problem with the Blush bottle, however. Maybe because it was smaller in comparison. The same might be said for the Micahel Kors "Michael" bottle. You could knock somebody out with that bottle; it's like lead crystal brick! LOL [smiley=grin.gif] Forget the mace, carry that big honking bottle of Kors around in your purse. The thugs would be shaking in their shoes. [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

Another weird bottle is the Naomi Campell (the original NC) bottle. At first glance, it resembles a pronounced male body part. Upon second glance, it could be a vibrator. LOL [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] Upon close examination, the tip of the cap could be considered a pointed lethal weapon. Strange, as the fragrance itself is in no way threatening or menacing.

My favorite bottle is the original "Ivana" bottle with the pink & black crest. It fits perfectly into the plam of your hand, and you never have to strain yourself to work the atomizer.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaMae
    Not very ergonomically correct, and far too big and clumsy for the average female hand.
    I wish more designers were considering at all the fact that humans are suppose to be able to have access to fragrant liquids when they design their perfume bottles - rather than show off their originality. I take the classic designs any day - a cylinder, a square, an egg or teardrop shape...
    Kingdom is pretty nasty, I don't like the upside down designs (such as Rochas Man and the recent Alfred Sung scent - is it called Jewel?), anything too angular (Pure Turqoise comes to mind) is not a good idea either - not matter how nice it is. I think that parfum bottles with a dabber allow a lot more freedom for design as the design does not affect the application as much as it does in spray bottles. But these are out of the question for the mass market...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    [quote author=RitaMae link=1142549636/0#8 date=1142629064]Not very ergonomically correct, and far too big and clumsy for the average female hand.
    I wish more designers were considering at all the fact that humans are suppose to be able to have access to fragrant liquids when they design their perfume bottles - rather than show off their originality. I take the classic designs any day - a cylinder, a square, an egg or teardrop shape...
    Kingdom is pretty nasty, I don't like the upside down designs (such as Rochas Man and the recent Alfred Sung scent - is it called Jewel?), anything too angular (Pure Turqoise comes to mind) is not a good idea either - not matter how nice it is. I think that parfum bottles with a dabber allow a lot more freedom for design as the design does not affect the application as much as it does in spray bottles. But these are out of the question for the mass market...[/quote]
    Yes, I agree. I love creative bottle designs, but I want the bottle to say "pick me up and squeeze or dab", and not " scrutinize me, turn me around and upside down so I can squirt down your sleeve when you least expect it".

Once I dropped a 50 ml bottle of YSL Nu. Not only it landed right on my bare toes, the "compact lid" came off too, so now I am using it without a lid.

I agree with those who find a bottle of Omnia challenging, too.

I have this strange tic that results in my collecting all the Aqua Allegorias I can get my hands on, even though I'm virtually always underwhelmed by the juice. It's complicated. But anyway. Two problems with the sprayer: It looks like it should be a removable cap, so I/we (my daughters) constantly forget that it's not a removable cap and yank it off, only to have to carefully wrangle it back on again. Second problem is that from bottle to bottle the amount that sprays out is very inconsistent, from the barest dribble on the Lavande Velours to a drippy blast on the Anisia Bella.
    ~Melanie Teegarden, Owner
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

Quote Originally Posted by AlthaeaSoaps
    I have this strange tic that results in my collecting all the Aqua Allegorias I can get my hands on, even though I'm virtually always underwhelmed by the juice. *It's complicated. *But anyway. *Two problems with the sprayer: *It looks like it should be a removable cap, so I/we (my daughters) constantly forget that it's not a removable cap and yank it off, only to have to carefully wrangle it back on again. *Second problem is that from bottle to bottle the amount that sprays out is very inconsistent, from the barest dribble on the Lavande Velours to a drippy blast on the Anisia Bella. *
    Aaah, I know exacly what you mean. Those plastic-covered unremovable sprayers > The thing is, my bottle of Herba Fresca does have an elegant removable cap. When I got Ansisa Bella I figured it was the same kind, but plasticized (I don´t know why they do that! I love the gold tinted round cap), and I pulled it off. After that it kept falling off all the time. I posted a question about this some month ago, and apparently it´s a newer version of the Allegoria-bottles.

I bought a small sample bottle of Angel(Le Lys) and it had the most
    dangerous top ever! Sharp star-shaped glass that would take your finger
    off if you weren't extremely careful. Very lovely to look at though.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I have this strange tic that results in my collecting all the Aqua Allegorias I can get my hands on, even though I'm virtually always underwhelmed by the juice. *It's complicated. *But anyway. *Two problems with the sprayer: *It looks like it should be a removable cap, so I/we (my daughters) constantly forget that it's not a removable cap and yank it off, only to have to carefully wrangle it back on again. *Second problem is that from bottle to bottle the amount that sprays out is very inconsistent, from the barest dribble on the Lavande Velours to a drippy blast on the Anisia Bella. *
    Oh, I know! Those Aqua Allegoria bottles, upon firstexposure to them, is like sitting down trying to figure out one of the Rubiks cubes. LOL [smiley=grin.gif] The first bottle I bought in that line was Ylang & Vanille, and luckily, I bought it from a nice older sales assistant in her early 70's who took it out of the box & said, "Here, let me show you how to operate this bottle, because I broke five of them before I figured it out here for myself." LOL But, even in Sephora, when I try on the AAs, I forget & wind up trying to pry the cap off.

I find Fragile (Gaultier) a very pretty bottle, but difficult to hold with one hand and spray at the same time. You have to look at the bottom of the bottle where to put your finger, then aim (extremely difficult with this bottle!), and press rather hard.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I have this strange tic that results in my collecting all the Aqua Allegorias I can get my hands on, even though I'm virtually always underwhelmed by the juice. Two problems with the sprayer: It looks like it should be a removable cap, so I/we (my daughters) constantly forget that it's not a removable cap and yank it off, only to have to carefully wrangle it back on again.
    The bottle of Chopard "Madness" has the same problem with it's spray head... looks exactly like a cap. First thing I did was pull it off. And that's even with a little sticker on the head telling you not to do so. It's that irresistably popable. It's irritating, because if you try to put it back on, it dribbles and sprays all over your hands. And "Madness" isn't a fragrance to overdo...

The sprayer on the Bulgari Black bottle (the one shaped like a hockey puck) has got to be the worst sprayer in the history of perfume. It is truly pathetic.

I've had problems with many bottles which is so annoying considering how much you pay for them.
    The 50 and 80ml Prada bottles just would and then wouldn't spray.
    The large Paul Smith London was difficult to hold and spray all over and it dribbled.
    Large Dior Addict is difficult to use when spraying from ankles up.
    J del Pozo In Black the sprayer leaks.
    The atomiser on the Prada Intense is absolutely useless.
    I wish bottle designers would take the time to actually try their products ie hold the bottle in their hand and spray all over from ankles up, before they inflict their often beautiful but impracticle designs on us.

> >

Eau des Merveilles just won't fit into my small hands I can hardly hold it and spray it at the same time hehe

Well for starters I will most certainly agree with all who found Omnia a pain in the A**!!!! LOL That thing sprays in squirts and is super awkward to hold... even the small 40ml bottle.

Then Fragile... What a gorgeous bottle and if it would only spray that wonderful fragrance too it would be near miraculous... Ended up having to return it as it would not work... SA could not get it to spray either, and another bottle was out of the question as I did not want that silly mechanism stopping me from enjoying my perfume...

Moving on then...

Marc Jacobs Blush is really awkward to hold in hand and spray... I always have to turn it sideways and even then it's still a pain in the A**
    Same thing with YSL Baby Doll and the ever so beautiful bottle of Deep Night... the bottles are so pretty but not the most user-friendly!

"Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

what about lolita lempicka..in the store where i first tested it i would broke the nice apple .. :

and what about the bottle of Jil Sander for man? ;D
    It does'nt stay upright because of the shape and is also very difficult to hold it in one hand if you want to spray... I need two hands, one to hold it and one to press the button :-[

I think all the bottles for the EA line (the tubular ones) are faulty...they look cool but...if you can see at the bottom of them ,they leak and the spray is very bad...and you can't see when is it ending to stock up on it !
    and all of the dior's sprays just spray too much product...
    agree with the tresor big bottle it's very uncomfortable...i can handle it but i don't like the juice so...
    the big escada bottle (escada 2005) is kinda heavy can be used as a weapon too...love the smell!
    the big baby doll is not so comfy either
    and what about the mini frags? they are so small i'm afraid to crush them!

I don't really care for the bottle that "212 Sexy" comes in. I just think it looks stupid. It reminds me of a pill. Having to twist the fragrance out is just unpleasant. I like more traditional perfume bottles, with caps that come off and then you spray.