Code of Conduct

Default Summer or Winter? Humid or Dry?

Hello everyone,

I need you help in this matter...

I've heard it commented that fragrance wear longer in winter, and then I've heard it said that they last longer in summer... How does humidity as opposed to dry weather effect a perfume... How does heat/cold impact it as far as longevity is concerned? In other words, if a certain fragrance does not last on you long in the summer, will it work for the fall or winter better? And, vise-versa....

What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

Mostly from what I've seen is that more 'powerful-smelling', and in general oriental fragrances are recommended for fall and winter and florals and 'softer' scents are recommended for warmer weather... So does that then mean that those softer scents become 'stronger-richer-smelling' in warm weather?

I look forward to all your comments and all comments will be greatly appreciated
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Default Re: Summer or Winter? Humid or Dry?

I do notice that my body heat makes my scents more powerful. Unless I'm in air conditioning too long, I'm usually warmer in the spring and summer so I do notice that my fragrances seem stronger. If I'm sweating or if I'm stressed they can be overpowering and I have to be careful not to apply too enthusiastically.

I'm thinking that anything will evaporate faster and therefore be stronger in the heat. Fragrance should be no exception.

In summer, I'd expect fragrances to explode off the skin. Stronger but shorter.

Make sense?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Dear Shycat and Tovah,

Thank you very much for your opinions in this matter... I've just tried to make this clear to myself... As Shycat said.... " Stronger but shorter. Make sense?" I guess it does!!!

Thank you both so much
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Technically speaking there are supposedly fragrances that are better for different seasons- some say heavier, Oriental types for cooler months and lighter, green florals or citrus for warmer months. As far as something "exploding" off your skin, becoming richer or more powerful smelling it really depends on your chemistry I think.

For example- Coco parfum is something I love to wear in the summertime. The more humid it is, the more it blooms on my skin. However, Coco is a spicy floriental perfume and many people reserve it for only wintertime. It personal preference. Shaal Nur I used to reserve only for summer- it has a kind of coolness about it. This fall I still craved it though, so kept wearing it and wearing it right through winter. It's become a year-round fragrance for me.

Try the same perfume in every season to see how it really behaves on you- you might be surprised.

Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!