Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 70s suggestions,please

I'd really like to take part in the SotD Day in April, but I own not a single 70s frag, except for Jovan Musk for Her...

I like Diva Ungaro(chypre floral,1983), so I thought it would be no problem to find something. But I'm shoked to realize that I don't like them. On myself. I couldn't wear them even if I do like some.

I have tested Chloe, Magie Noir, Anais Anais, First, Oscar de la Renta, Charlie Blue, Cinnabar, White Linen, Parure, Nahema and I don't feel enough enthusiasm to own a bottle.
    Rive Gauche, Opium and especially Cristalle are options, but there is no "wow" effect :-?
    I'm waiting for Mure et Musk sample (keep the fingers crossed) and I'll try Bluebell and Victorian Posy Penhaligon's and maybe Florissa Floris , if I find them.

These are all extraordinary scents, but there is always something that disturbs me. Like, it's too sharp, I get a headache, it's too intense. I'm all lost...

Are there any hidden jems you could recommend?I rely on your taste and knowledge :-*
    thanks for taking your time
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 70s suggestions,please

I am beating my drum again (like Quarry says) or sounding like a broken record (like LadyLoneStar says), but I think you have to try Jean Couturier Coriandre (1973). And now quoting myself: "Chic and class"! Please pm me with your address, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Fragrances by Love were huge in the 70s: (don't laugh) Love's Baby Soft, Love's Fresh Jasmin, Love's Fresh Lemon, etc. Prince Matchabelli Windsong and Aviance were all the rage.

Inouï by Shiseido brings back memories as well as Tea Rose, and Halston.

Penhaligon's Violetta came out in the 70s. This one is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

One that I used to wear quite a lot was Jontue. It's a bit hard to find now, though. I'm trying to think back to what perfumes I wore... I did the musk thing (so much so that I made myself quite sick of musk and I can't wear it now), and Love's Baby Soft, Charlie, Jontue, Babe (no longer available)... Mind you, I was pretty young then, and didn't have a lot of taste, so...

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Post Thanks / Like

Halson classic very disco. Actually a great woody chypre.
    DONNA

Bonni, we definitely are twins who were separated at birth. I also wore Jontue during the 70's. Another one we have in common! :-) Unfortunately, Jontue is now changed. It doesn't smell as lovely as it used to.

70's frags I wore were Charlie (also now changed), Love's Musky Jasmine and Earth Musk, and I can't forget Tea Rose by Perfumers Workshop. I'm not recommending these now, they're just what I wore as a teenager.

During that time my mother wore Calandre, and that one stands out in my mind as a real 70's gem -- Calandre by Paco Rabanne. Also Chloe.

For sure Chanel No. 19 (1971), Clinique Aromatics Elixir (1971) and Dior Diorella (1972) are three shining gems that have many estimators here at basenotes, even among the gents...
    Give 'em a try!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Penhaligon's Bluebell is not a masterpiece in a Serge Lutens manner of speaking, but I love Bluebell for spring as it's fresh, transparent, green and true to fresh blooming bulb like nothing I've ever smelled before or since.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

If you like chypres, you could try Eau du Soir (1970) or Givenchy lll (1970) or perhaps Cialenga (1973). Mystere (1978) is also an option.

Quote Originally Posted by audrey
    I'd really like to take part in the SotD Day in April, but I own not a single 70s frag, except for Jovan Musk for Her...
    These are all extraordinary scents, but there is always something that disturbs me. Like, it's too sharp, I get a headache, it's too intense. I'm all lost...
    There were quite a few sharp releases during the 70's, which I find hard to wear. No. 19 is one of them, which is a classic, a great scent (especially in the parfum or EDT, the EDP is a completely different formulation I hear). Try it out and see if you can take it in...
    Estee Lauder's Private Collection is another green classic, refined and elegant, but easier to wear in my opinion.

Diorella is another delicious classic from the 70's.

Eau d'Orange Vert by Hermes is a great scent, citrus which I really like (which is unusual, as I find most citruses to be too boring).

Other scents from this era, however, which are easier to wear are:
    Coty Wild Musk (easy to find too!); Love's Baby Soft by Dana is also easy to find and easy to wear (another one of the affordable drugstore scents)
    Crabtree&Evelyn's Sandalwood (it's supposedly for men, but who cares; A really nice and spicy sandalwood)
    l'Eau Trois (Diptyque) might be a good choice as well. I am not too familiar with it, but everything that comes from this house is worth the try - and what a better occasion than a 70's week on Basenotes?
    Cinnabar by Estee Lauder - a spicy oriental, but sweeter than Youth Dew and Opium and White Linen if you want to explore the floral aldehyde realm.
    Caron's Yatagan

Good luck and have fun!
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Hi there,
    I see some excellent suggestions like Clinique Aromatics Elixir (1971) but just wanted to add my beloved Alexandra, Alexandra de Markoff (1979) to the list. Or for something totally different try Nahéma by Guerlain (1979).

Above all I hope you have a lot of fun
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I used Rive Gauche (YSL, 1971) during many years under the 70:s. For me that fragance is the 70:s! Late 70:s I found Magie Noire (Lancôme, 1978). It was my first Oriental, and I really loved it! - Rive Gauche have been mentioned before in this line, but not Magie Noir. Perhaps someone can like that one... :

I hope everyone enjoys this thread as much as I do! This is really fun! ;D

oooops, just found that both these fragances already was mentioned... Sorry... Byt they are my 70:s...
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Caron's Infini might be just right for you, Audrey. Not too much or headachey like some women find Lancome's Climat or Patou's Caline to be. I used to wear Infini myself up until 1980. It's clean and subtle, on the order of Carven's Ma Griffe or a lighter version of Rive Gauche. But it has that French subtlety that you know only Caron can deliver. [smiley=wink.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone,

First post for me! I love that I have found you all! * ;D

I couldn't help but chime in on the '70's as I fell in love with my first "grown up" perfume in the later part of the decade and I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Adolfo (1978). I have never received more compliments on a fragrance before or since. It's described as mossy and woody but I always thought of it is a lovely fresh scent with great sillage! I am pretty sure it is still around. It's definitely worth a sniff. It comes out of the bottle a little strong... you may feel like you want to slap it down a little but give it time. As it matures the best of it is revealed.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for many wonderful suggestions!

Some fragrances, especially those available in US, are out of question for me - I'm not into blind buys and the shipping costs are ridiculous.Would have been fun though... Maybe when I'm there, over the ocean
    Diorella, Mure&Musk and Infini are definitely in the run, they don't have that sharpness which seems to bother me.
    I'm awaiting Coriandre( :-*), Quartz Molyneux, Silence Jacomo and Cristalle to test, and there are still the Penhaligon's.
    Love you all
    audrey
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.