Code of Conduct

Default More about Youth Dew Amber Nude.

From WWD

In the Nude: Ford's First Lineup for Lauder.
    By Julie Naughton and Pete Born

NEW YORK — Tom Ford has summoned the glamour and daring spirit of Estée Lauder, the woman who put American fragrance and herself on the map when she launched Youth Dew in 1953.

And it's the naked truth that "it's the time for the reinstitution of glamour and exclusivity," Ford told WWD during an exclusive phone interview from his London home on Thursday. "I want to go back to real luxury, the highest quality products. Luxury has gone mass," Ford said, admitting that he played a major part in that movement at Gucci. "It's time to change that."
    "Tom was the ultimate bandleader, and we were his orchestra."
    John Demsey, the Estée Lauder Cos.
    And he's prepared to lead the charge with Amber Nude, his first cosmetics and fragrance collection for the Estée Lauder brand, coming in early November. Branded under the Tom Ford Estée Lauder name, the 14-stockkeeping-unit collection is relatively pricy: lipsticks retail for $35; an impressively sized bronzer is $60. The eye-catcher of the collection is a $550 gold minaudière, containing a lip polish and a face powder.

The 2.5-oz. Youth Dew Amber Nude eau de parfum spray retails for $65, compared with $28 for a 2.25-oz. bottle of the 52-year-old Youth Dew original, which is still being sold. There's a solid perfume in a gold-toned compact for $150 and an atomizer parfum purse spray with refill for $225. One practical touch is a $35 lip transformer called Lip Polish, which allows a consumer to adjust the tones of the other lipsticks by layering. Face and eye glosses, designed to be layered over other products and even applied by hand, are $40 each. Nail enamel retails for $25 and face powder is priced at $50. And there's 24-karat gold in the lip polish and the face gloss: The usual cost-of-goods worries apparently didn't apply. All of the products in this collection are limited editions, with the exception of the Amber Nude eau de parfum.

The Amber Nude lineup will enter a sliver of Lauder's traditional 2,000-door North American distribution in November. Like its predecessor, the new fragrance and its makeup collection will be launched in an old-fashioned way, when businesses were built one specialty store at a time. In early November, the fragrance and makeup will enter 100 doors, including Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman and Holt Renfrew in Canada. In early December, another 125 doors of Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom will be added to the fragrance distribution. In January, the fragrance distribution will add 775 doors. Overseas, select doors in key markets will be added. It will be sold in freestanding Lauder doors in Las Vegas and Manhasset, N.Y., and on the company's Web site. The North American fragrance distribution will end up at 1,000 doors.

"[Amber Nude] is being launched only in specialty stores," Ford said. "The price points are high because the quality is great; we didn't want to play the price game. Price shouldn't be the main component. It's time for authenticity." He'll continue that commitment with a second color collection for the Estée Lauder brand this spring and a freestanding fragrance and color collection under his own name in fall 2006.

John Demsey, global president of the Estée Lauder and MAC Cosmetics brands, sees the collection as the first step in a major modernization of the Estée Lauder brand. Demsey pointed out that Lauder herself was "a woman way ahead of her time," not afraid to break barriers and show what women could achieve at a time when that was generally not done. Referring to this effort, Demsey said that he wants this collection to set the stage for the eponymous Tom Ford collection, due in fall 2006 and "a rethinking of the Estée Lauder brand."

But it's being done with a nod to the spirit of Estée Lauder. In fact, Leonard Lauder, Estée's son and chairman of the company that bears her name, has pointed out that the consumer reaction to the original was a major building block for the company. In fact, in 1960, it accounted for 80 percent of the company's sales, he said.

The updated Ford effort, combined with Gwyneth Paltrow cutting a swath through the media now with her new Pleasures advertising campaign, are creating a major moment for the Lauder brand. "It's a statement of who we were and who we are and where we are going," said Demsey, adding that "the positives [of these moves] so outweighs the risks."

While Demsey made it clear that he sees the Ford collection as primarily having an impact in terms of the brand's global image, industry observers also think that this collection will create a lot of excitement at the counter — particularly since such small quantities will be available. Industry sources estimate that Lauder produced only $2.5 million worth of cosmetics and a similarly limited number of eau de parfum units for the initial rollout. While the company does not break out projections, industry sources also estimate that the total collection will generate about $5 million at retail for November and December in the U.S., which is high productivity considering the handful of doors in which it will be distributed.

After the makeup has been sold out, the 2.5-oz. eau de parfum spray will continue to be marketed globally. Sources estimate that it will do $30 million at retail in the first eight months of 2006, when it will be rolled out to selected accounts around the world. Likewise, sources estimated that Lauder would spend $8 million on advertising and promotion in North America and more than $12 million globally to promote the Amber Nude products. The magazine advertising, which will appear in Vogue and W (which, like WWD, are both units of Advance Publications Inc.), begins in December.

And with Tom Ford being, well, Tom Ford, nudity did enter into the equation — both with the first collection's name and its advertising visual, which features Carolyn Murphy wearing the cosmetics collection and little else.

"People may look at this ad and say, ‘Oh, Tom Ford — all he does is take people's clothes off,'" Ford said with a laugh. "[Carolyn] doesn't have a lot clothes on [in the ad, in fact] she's not wearing anything."

Ford pointed out that Lauder also ditched the clothes for the original Fifties Youth Dew ad, when nudity was even more shocking. "The model in the original ad [released in 1953] was also nude," Ford said. And there's a reason for that: "Youth Dew has always been one of Estée Lauder's sexiest fragrances," he said.

And Demsey had no problems with the admittedly sexy advertising. "Tom was the ultimate bandleader, and we were his orchestra," he said, adding that Ford also had more than a little in common with the brand's namesake, Estée Lauder. "She was an American woman with an international sensibility and he is an American man with an international sensibility," said Demsey, who repeatedly referred to Ford's "laser focus."

Ford's powerhouse orchestra members also included Aerin Lauder, senior vice president of global creative directions for the Estée Lauder brand; Evelyn Lauder, senior corporate vice president of the Estée Lauder Cos., and Andrea Robinson, chief marketing officer for the Lauder brand. For the fragrance, Karyn Khoury, senior vice president of corporate fragrance worldwide, helped Ford find the right mix, while Annie Carullo, senior vice president of global product innovation, played a part in finalizing the cosmetics. "This is the first time we've let somebody come in here and touch all the elements [of the brand]," Demsey said, adding, "We've never had a 360-degree approach."

And Ford, who signed this deal with Lauder in April to worldwide fanfare, is impressed that the first group of products came to fruition so quickly: "Everyone just killed themselves to do it on time," said Ford.

There was never a doubt in his mind, however, about the first product he planned. "It had to be Youth Dew," he said. "My grandmother really did wear Youth Dew. My first experience with the Estée Lauder Cos. was with that fragrance, and it's a fragrance that I've personally loved. [However,] in its original incarnation, it might be a bit heavy for today's tastes. But at its heart is a very wearable, sexy fragrance."

Ford and his team turned to International Flavors & Fragrances, which had produced the original Youth Dew — which many see as the first modern Oriental fragrance — to help craft the new amber-infused version.

"The original Youth Dew was very concentrated because it was conceived as a bath oil," said Ford, referring to the 30 percent oil concentration. "[For Amber Nude] we cut the concentration of the fragrance in half, then went back in and added magnolia and ginger to give the top notes more sparkle. We retained the vetiver and sandalwood [in the drydown]. We wanted people to smell it and say, ‘Wow, Youth Dew — that smells amazing,' not like a different fragrance."

Amber Nude's top notes also include fresh tea, grapefruit and a bare skin accord; while the heart adds textured black rose to the original creation's red carnations, jasmine and ylang-ylang. The drydown retains Youth Dew's patchouli notes, and adds amber, vetiver and a dark chocolate note that replaces the original vanilla in the finish.

Ford noted that some ingredients in the original mix have themselves changed over the years. "For instance, the patchouli — which is a major part of this fragrance — that is used today is much lighter than what was used in the Fifties. But it was important to keep it in the fragrance because it's part of the [Lauder] heritage."

The color also got a makeover: "The original was almost maple syrup in color," Ford said. "This one is an amber shade."

Ford also looked to the brand's heritage for the compacts and fragrance bottle packaging. "I took the original bottle and streamlined it," he said, adding that the original bottle was inspired by a woman's silhouette. "Women's silhouettes in the Fifties were different from today's, so it made sense to streamline [the bottle]. The color of the bow on the bottle and the way it is tied also changed, and we added an amber topaz cabochon on the cap.

"We went back into the [Estée Lauder] archives and looked at all of the great Sixties and Seventies compacts and solid perfumes," Ford continued. "They had metal compacts, not metallized plastic. They were very glamorous, as was the life that Estée Lauder herself aspired to and led. I wanted to put that level of quality into this collection."

Speaking of the brand's iconic founder — does Ford worry about what she would have thought of his collection? In a word, no. "When I was at YSL, I didn't worry about what Yves Saint Laurent was thinking, either. You can't think that way. Other brands that have existed for a long time think [when faced with change], ‘Oh, that isn't the brand.' As I did while at YSL [and Gucci] I tried to think of what the brand stands for, then do a contemporary version of that."

But it's likely she would have approved. "If Estée Lauder were here today, God knows what she would be doing," said Ford. "She was the leader of the pack, very aggressive. People may think that she was conservative, but she was a real innovator," he said.

Leonard Lauder thinks his mother would have approved of Ford's effort. "Estée Lauder had always partnered with the best talents of every generation, and Tom Ford is the top imagemaker of our time," he said Thursday. "The collection blends the best of Estée Lauder's heritage with Tom's modern approach to style and beauty. Mrs. Estée Lauder would have loved this association."

Ford describes the collection as a marriage of luxury, glamour and clean lines. "It's very Palm Beach, in a sense," he said, revealing that "Palm Beach" is the code name for the spring rendition of the Tom Ford Estée Lauder Collection. "It's the idea that makeup is glamorous, which we've forgotten to a certain extent with all of the minimalism in makeup. I love makeup. I've always tried to create a statement with the makeup in my [runway] shows.

"They'll have a spring feeling," he teased, regarding the spring 2006 collection, also inspired by vintage Estée Lauder products. "And the packaging is going to be geared for spring. They're the kinds of things that will look good with a short skirt. But there won't be a new fragrance with spring."

By contrast, Ford sees the fall collection as "much more about evening," a point he proved by designing the limited-edition gold minaudière for the collection. Fewer than 700 of the sleek gold-toned clutches will be produced.

Ford will begin shooting the spring advertising campaign on the 20th of this month. As with the fall collection, the visuals will feature Murphy. "I did that on purpose," he said. "With both the fall and spring ads, I wanted to take Carolyn [who has been the brand's face for the past four years] and show a different side of her. It's a much sexier image [than what has been used of Murphy in the past]."

While he wouldn't reveal details of the spring campaign, Ford did say he's rather fond of the fall one. "Carolyn looks so expensive [in the ad]," said Ford, adding that Murphy is wearing the complete color collection in the visual, which was shot by Craig McDean. "She looks like a bit of toffee — you just want to take a bite of her."

Ford is also speeding full steam ahead with his eponymous fragrance and color cosmetics collection, which will launch in fall 2006. "This has been wonderful. One of the reasons I wanted to work with the [Estée] Lauder Cos. is because there is a strong connection to its family. Not that other companies don't have professionalism, but there are still Lauders walking the hall here, and that makes a difference. And John Demsey is great — he's a major reason we're doing this with Lauder."

Ford said his favorite product is the atomizer. "It's probably going to be the last to be delivered because [atomizers] are tough to do. I also like the solid perfume — not too many people do them."

Ladylonestar

Default Re: More about Youth Dew Amber Nude.

Ford noted that some ingredients in the original mix have themselves changed over the years. "For instance, the patchouli — which is a major part of this fragrance — that is used today is much lighter than what was used in the Fifties. But it was important to keep it in the fragrance because it's part of the [Lauder] heritage."
    I've been saying this since I came to perfume chat sites over two years ago -- today's Youth Dew is not the same. I knew it.

I love the fabulous, glamorous look of the whole Amber Nude line and I'll be counting the days until its arrival -- especially Youth Dew Amber Nude. But... magnolia, ginger, tea, grapefruit, chocolate, patchouli... I don't know. We'll see.

Thanks, Cedric!

Thanks again for the scoop, Cedric! We can always count on you. [smiley=smiley.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    I love the fabulous, glamorous look of the whole Amber Nude line and I'll be counting the days until its arrival -- especially Youth Dew Amber Nude. But... magnolia, ginger, tea, grapefruit, chocolate, patchouli... I don't know.
    Yeah. [smiley=huh.gif] But I'm going to give it a sniff anyway.

"Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    But I'm going to give it a sniff anyway.
    I'm trying to be cool. [smiley=cool.gif] Truth is I haven't been this excited about a fragrance launch since... I don't know when. Youth Dew is very special to me.

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    I'm trying to be cool. [smiley=cool.gif] Truth is I haven't been this excited about a fragrance launch since... I don't know when. Youth Dew is very special to me.

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
    [smiley=grin.gif]

I wonder how cool you could be if TF would launch Estée Nude... [smiley=wink.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I wonder how cool you could be if TF would launch Estée Nude... *[smiley=wink.gif]
    I would love to see Estee get some spotlight but NO TWEAKING -- don't be *modernizing* it and nuding it down! Bring back the body creme and the soaps! Besides, I already think there's been some substitution of ingredients. Don't get me wrong, it's still beautiful and I love it madly, but... to my nose, there's a little difference today (and for several years). It's just not as rich and intense.

I'm excited also. I've hated that Youth Dew's gotten such bad press from new afficianado's these days....
    I'm keeping my Robin's egg blue bottle just the same. Same with the bath oil.
    I too "don't know" about adding those other ingredients but....Fleur de Shanghai (magnolia) didn't ruin Opium imho...so...I'll be one of the first to be in line.

The base notes have me salivating, but the others.... [smiley=undecided.gif] This is one I'll need to take my time with and sample carefully. Grapefruit and ginger tend to not like me unless the blend is just right.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

Amber Nude is wonderful IMO. Tom Ford didn't change the original too much. Still Amber Nude is distinctively different. The black rose and citrus make it addictive on my skin![/font]

Ladylonestar

You had better luck than I did, takemyhusbandplz, and I'm very jealous! The beautiful opening made me weak in the knees. I was ready to proclaim Youth Dew Amber Nude the most beautiful fragrance of all time and Tom Ford an absolute genius. However, it dried down...

I bought a bottle, unsniffed, of course. I'll give it another try, my third try, and see how it goes. I'm trying to figure out what note or notes nauseate me so. I thought it might be the dark chocolate note but it could be the ginger. It could be the whole blend. The packaging (bottle and box) are fabulous. But, you know... I can't wear the bottle and box. Well, I could... but it wouldn't be right.

Well............I think EL would make a fortune if they'd just bring back the body powder of Private Collection!

Anyway.............I've only got a small sample of YDAN. I liked it but .....I like Opium better.
    I did however buy the solid YDAN because......that was the only one they had. The SA told me not to use it....just to put it away and it would be worth a lot in a few years. Whatever....I've got it.

I'll probably buy some because I am such an oriental lover and do appreciate the classic EL scents. I must say....too bad they didn't just bring back the old YOUTH DEW IN THE robin's egg blue bottle!

I finally got to try Amber Nude. It will be launched soon here in Belgium, but couldn't wait any longer and ordered a sample on ebay.

I really like it. Yes, it's brighter and lighter, but overall I think they really stayed close to the original. They have the same animalistic and powdery base. The heart is less spicy, now that they replaced the carnation with rose. With the changes made, there is something that reminds me of the discountinued Venezia by Laura Biagotti.
    Amber Nude is quite longlasting but not as much as Youth Dew.

I think the people at Estée Lauder made the right balance: it's commercial but thanks to it's classic Youth Dew inspiration, it's special enough so not everybody will like it. Like the original, Amber Nude is a hate-it-or-love-it fragrance IMHO.

I wonder if they will introduce different sizes as Amber Nude only comes in a 2.5 oz/75 ml bottle. A perfume extract would be welcome too.

Oh!... and J.H.L fans will like this one too!

I haven't gotten to a store to actually try this on my skin, but on a paper strip it reminded me strongly of Liz Taylor's Passion, which isn't a bad thing. I rather like it, but will need to see about this dry down business before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff
    I haven't gotten to a store to actually try this on my skin, but on a paper strip it reminded me strongly of Liz Taylor's Passion, which isn't a bad thing. *I rather like it, but will need to see about this dry down business before buying. *
    I loooooove LT's Passion.

I also wanted to add that they kept the little "caca" note in Amber Nude which made the original Youth Dew so special. Some will understand what I mean, those who don't never mind... I'm sure it's better that you don't. ;D

please, please tell me about the "caca" note. i really love YDAN, even though everyone i know can't stand it. i don't think i smell what i think you are referring to, or do i, and i just don't realize it?

I'm not going to give you too many details as the feeling a fragrance can give is so different from one person to another (and I don't want the heart of our moderators to make high jumps *).

The "caca" note is often refered to fragrances that have lots of animalistic basenotes.
    One famous caca fragrance is Jicky by Guerlain with it's civet basenotes, and then there is the infamous Cacao by Aftelier (some just call it Caca) which has such deep chocolate notes...er, well let's say they are just too deep. :-X

Edit: I just saw that a new civet topic started:
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1141779638

Hi,

Caca is civet, right? I am bothered by civet sometimes. I don't smell civet in YDAN, though it may very well be there. I am planning to purchase YDAN. To me the chocolate note (no pun intended with the civet..) is the most distinct. It makes me think of luscious milk chocolate and I like it very much. The patchoulli is also strong. I don't pick up in a lot of grapefruit.

Krysia

thanks cedric! i think i get the picture.

maybe i don't have a sensitivity to civet. cumin is another story... it's stinky BO to me.

case in point...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCure
    [quote author=shifts link=1141560414/0#1 date=1141560514]Bigarade Concentree is unoffensive enough maybe?
    hmmm, maybe i am super-sensitive to cumin, but when the SA at Barney's eagerly asked me what i thought after a few minutes, i had to admit it smelled like awful stinky BO to me. i asked whether anyone had ever made this comment before and he no. i actually RAN back to my office with my wrist stretched out away from me and SCRUBBED it off! everytime i see cumin listed as a note i think of this experience. pee-ew![/quote]

thanks cedric!

Finally I've tried Amber Nude and wow do I ever love this stuff! I only wonder if I would wear it often enough. Finally I found a fragrance that I would feel like I REALLY need to be dressed up to wear... could this be something you'd wear to work often? I wonder, I wonder????

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLace
    thanks cedric!

Finally I've tried Amber Nude and wow do I ever love this stuff! I only wonder if I would wear it often enough. Finally I found a fragrance that I would feel like I REALLY need to be dressed up to wear... could this be something you'd wear to work often? I wonder, I wonder????
    Maybe that in the middle of in the winter Amber Nude could be worn daily but I consider it more as an eveing fragrance. Like Cinnabar and J.H.L for Men (who are also reworkings on the YD theme), Amber Nude is easier to wear on daily basis than the original Youth Dew IMHO. Youth Dew is in my top 5 favorite fragrances but I only wear it a couple of times ever year. Sometimes I take a bath with Youth Dew Bath Oil and feel perfumed enough not to layer it with the fragrance on top.

I agree with Ladylonestar on Tom Ford's verion of Amber Nude. Beautiful packaging and bottle. I do appreciate his efforts however the fragrance nauseates me as well.

Would have much preferred them bringing back the ORIGINAL Youth Dew - those of us that have worn it for years have noticed the watering down of this one of a kind scent - in all forms (powder, lotion, etc.) it has changed. What a shame.

I tried Youth Dew Amber Nude recently and liked it -- just not on me. :-/

I can't do either one, nor any of the "heavier" orientals. They just don't meld with my chemistry. Too bad, because I love their warmth and intrigue on others.

Something can be said if I've worn it 80% of the time since I've bought it, which is almost 2 weeks ago. It really comes close to Chanel Egoiste IMO, but after the strong hearty presence of rose and the rest of its powdery notes, the ambery-musky skinscent on the drydown lasts 4-5 hours on me close to the skin, so that makes it 6-8 hours of pure olfactory bliss! The scent really creates a trail and aura about the person wearing it, and after smelling quite a bit of scents under the guidance and inspiration of Tom Ford, I actually have a profound respect for him now in regards to scent, and yes, for the clothes too! He seems to make anybody...SEXY!

I'm proud to have this scent take a place in my Top 10!

I may be dreaming, but I thought that a solid perfume was offered for $165US? Went back to the EL website and didn't find it....Oh well.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Red face Re: More about Youth Dew Amber Nude.

I love Youth Dew Amber Nude, it is so amazing, and get compliments all the time, I bought a second bottle from a site, Great fragrance.

I've been prejudiced about fragrance permutations before. I've always stuck to original Poison, Opium, etc. But I take it all back after trying YDAN. I never bought original YD, it always seemed a bit old-fashioned--which is a ridiculous thought, when I consider how old my other perfumes are. I bought YDAN and compared it with the original on each hand. After 24 hours, I have to say the newer one is fresher and definitely sexier, yet it totally respects the original formula.

I also splurged and bought the Azuree dry oil spray, which is a new attraction for me. I never used to like Azuree.

I bought the Azuree makeup line to go with it--it's a set of lipstick, gloss, eye color, blush and bronzers in coral tones.

I think Ford's partnership with Lauder is pure genius. I was very skeptical at first, and I didn't like Ford's clothing designs years ago.
    “The Unscented Life Is Not Worth Living.”
    Socrates
    (Re-worded by lauermar)

Last weekend, I sampled them both again, 'old' Youth Dew and the New Amber Nude Youth Dew... I have to admit too that actually for the first time I LOVED 'old' Youth Dew! It was rich on me and very, well almost raw.... Now for the new one.... Ohh I LOVED it from the first moment I sampled it... only I wonder if I would perhaps like it even more for a cooler season... I found it a little heavy for this very hot/humid weather we are experiencing right now... Does that make sense? Are other people enjoying it int he crazy summer heat? Hmm maybe it's just me who cannot pull it off... I cannot help but wonder though...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I wish they would bring this classic back. This is probably the first women's fragrance that I began to wear as a man, and adored it. The incense was amazing.