Code of Conduct

Default Signature Scent -- Suggestions?

I wish I could choose a "signature scent," but can't seem to stick with just one. I recently discovered Chanel No. 22 (in fact, I'm surprised that I love it as much as I do, as it's not as "warm" of a scent as I am used to wearing), but I'm just not sure.

I'd to find that one scent that I can't stop wanting to catch a drift of. I'd also love for it to be something older, so that it conjures up thoughts of times past. Romantic, but not insipid.

Prior favorites include Jaipur by Boucheron, Shalimar, Dune and C'est Soir Ou Jamais.

Headache inspiring: Je reviens, Chanel No. 5, Spring Flowers (has a handi-wipe sharpness to it that I can't abide).

Help, please!

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Signature Scent -- Suggestions?

I recommend NOT having a signature scent! It's very limiting. I have a signature style of fresh or vanillic florals, but I like Fumerie Turque as well. I can't stand spicey, heavy, ambery, orientals.

I suppose at most, you could have a signature daytime scent. But you certainly must choose it on your own!!! #22 is a good candidate. I also wear Bulgari pour Femme a great deal in the day, warm or cool weather, work, PTA, etc. It is always appropriate.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I personally think that having a "signature scent" is highly overrated. There are so many gorgeous fragrances out there, why limit yourself to just one? Different fragrances for different times of the year, different events, etc., that's a much more "fun" way to play it.

You don't need a huge wardrobe of fragrances, certainly, but, gosh, I can't imagine limiting myself to just one...

If you want something soft and floral, you might try Burberry London or Britney Spears Curious (I don't personally recommend her Fantasy, unless you really like super sweet fragrances). Also consider a classic such as Joy or the new one from Jean Patou which is different but along the same lines, En Joy.

My personal favorite is Lancome Tresor, which is a floral-oriental type fragrance, fairly sophisticated, with some hints of fruit (peach, I believe) and a nice, long lasting base (at least, it's long-lasting on me).

These are just a few suggestions, of course. I'm not actually that familiar with all the fragrances you've mentioned (I am with some of them). I tried to choose ones that aren't too likely to induce a headache, though.

Oh, avoid Bulgari Pour Femme and Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers if you're prone to headaches. I only get headaches from Sunflowers sometimes, but the Bulgari Pour Femme, as lovely as it is, gave me severe sinus pain and I had to scrub it off (and it was only on my wrists!). It's a lovely perfume, but the sinus pain was horrid (I don't know how many people react that way to it; it's the only time it's ever happened to me).

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

I find the idea of searching for a signature scent very disappointing. At least that is so to me. I've had so many loves come and go, a few have stayed, but I hate the disappointing thought "oh it's so good but it's not the one". >
    Somehow,tho, my friends know to classify scents which could belong to me. I don't know how they do it, they'd just say, "that smells so like you".
    THey don't mean a certain scent/note, I think it's the general feeling. I like floral/musky/chypres.

So I'd say, trust your taste and affection, what you like smells like you; it's your personality which makes it a signature, not the scent!
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

I'm convinced! There really are way too many lovely scents out there, and I know that I crave certain ones during certain seasons (Dune in the Fall, Cristalle in the Summer). Limiting myself to just one does seem a bit silly!

Thanks for the input - - I love this website, and I'm glad to be a member of the Community!

Leslie

Welcome, leslie!!! [smiley=beer.gif]

When I was new on BN, that signature scent-question, was one of my very firs posts, too! I was rather obsessed with finding a signature scent, but now I find that limiting and boring. Now, my ambition is to try to get a "perfect" collection of favourite scents, let`s say 3-4 for each season plus 5-10 "must-have" staples.
    I must admit I still have a long way to go, reading about all the wonderful scents people talk about here...

I WANT THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!

(Phew, good to get that one out, :-[)

Eva
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I have not very many bottles but they are constantly rotating ;D ;D
    So can't say I have a signature scent, but I think that I want to have one... but cannot imagine what for :-?
    Nobody notices my fragrance nor ever tells me about it - so I just use them to please myself

I've always interpreted one's "signature scent" as the scent you keep going back to time after time. The one that has withstood the test of time. You don't necessarily have to wear it 365 days & nights per year, but, rather, you wear it and reach for it often because you prefer it above all the others, even if those others might be on your constant daily rotation list.

On the other hand, if I we could rotate husbands and boyfriends as we do fragrances, the world would definitely be a more exciting place in which to live. LOL [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif] [smiley=wink.gif]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RitaMae
    On the other hand, if I we could rotate husbands and boyfriends as we do fragrances, the world would definitely be a more exciting place in which to live. LOL [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif] [smiley=wink.gif]
    ROFLMAO!!! *;D ;D ;D
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

... rotate husbands and boyfriends as we do fragrances ...
    You don't? *

In regards to the signature scent question *- *how about *_________ing ? (I can't think of the word. Not blending. When you apply one fragrance over another.)

I have been very happy with Guerlain Vetiver. Vetiver Pour Elle is even better but only sold at six airports in France so it is rather difficult to come by. At the suggestion of another Basenoter I have been _________ing Vetiver with the Guerlain Aqua Allegorias. Guerlain is the perfect house to __________ with as their perfumes are created around Guerlinade - they all have a common bond.

You could have the constant of a signature 'base' scent with the versatility of a *__________ed scent.

Layer!!!!! * That's a big 10-4, good buddy!

And now I going to leave, nice and easy so no one gets hurt, before the Stepford Wives get me.

I don't think it's really possible. *You'd have to sample and test who knows how many fragrances and by the time you thought you'd potentially found "the one", the cure would already be the disease. *It's insidious.

:-)

I remember when I first started posting here, I felt the same way. When I thought of perfume, I imagined that finding a signature scent was the thing to do. I was so frustrated because I couldn't find anything that I really liked enough to wear forever. After talking to some people here, I learned that it was okay not to have one perfume that you wore exclusively. I decided (after much reading and encouragement) that a small collection was much more interesting. I now am constantly on the lookout for new and exciting fragrances. I currently have two that I adore, and am looking to buy another. I am quickly gathering a list together of perfumes I quite enjoy. My goal is to have a small fragrance "wardrobe" so when I wake up in the morning, I can select something that reflects my mood, or the mood I want to project. I find the whole process of discovering new fragrances quite exciting now! I can't wait for my next purchase...I have two that I am eyeing up at the moment.

I've always interpreted one's "signature scent" as the scent you keep going back to time after time. The one that has withstood the test of time.
    Yes, very true. I think of that as your "true love" scent, the one you always return to, even though you go off to dally with others sometimes (maybe others you feel passionate about, even, but in the long run, you always come back to your one true love...)

On the other hand, if I we could rotate husbands and boyfriends as we do fragrances, the world would definitely be a more exciting place in which to live.
    Well, I actually have some friends who do something very like that... One long-term partner (often a spouse or someone you actually live with) and then many other, uhm... friends and lovers, we could say...

It seems to work for them. :-*

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5