Code of Conduct

Default Buying Perfume,Eau de perfume,or Eau de toillete

Hey guys!

I am confused why which to select (Perfume, Eau de Perfume, or Eau de Toillete). I know that basically Perfume is strongest and lasts longer, followed by Eau de Perfume, and then Eau de Toillete. I just don't know which one to select when I am buying a fragrance. The lower cost of Eau de Toillete is definitly attractive. Then again, I don't want to miss out on something that the stronger formulation contatins. When I was looking for Chanel fragrances, the person behind the counter let me compare an Eau de Toillete to the Eau de Perfume. There was a big difference to me. The Eau de Perfume just smelt a bit richer.

Right now I have a tester of Coco Madmoiselle. I am trying to decide which fragrance (all by Chanel) suits me best. My choices are Allure (not allure Sensual), Chance, and Coco Madmoiselle. Some of the testers are Eau de Toilettle. Should I buy the Eau de Perfume, or the Eau de Toilette! I can't make up my mind. Help!

Default Re: Buying Perfume,Eau de perfume,or Eau de toille

(I forgot to add this! I would also like to hear what goes through your mind when you are deciding between an Eau de Toillette vs the Eau de Perfume, or the Classic Perfume. What makes you choose one or the other?)

Post Thanks / Like

If I can afford it I go for parfum,stronger is misleading as it just means more perfume oil to alcohol. And if you love sillage parfum is more skin close,but what you are getting is what the perfumer wanted to create.
    I usually got for edp as it has a higher perfume % than edt,but some edt can last the day!

Sorry cannot help with your Chanel choices as those three are not me.
    DONNA

Generally, if it's a warm, rich type of scent I go for edp for the extra oomph in the base notes. But I also enjoy fragrances in edt or cologne. Sometimes I want the fleeting quality of a cologne and I want it to dissipate on the air and not linger. But other times I want the scent to lie close to my skin (parfum or edp). I've noticed with Coco and Coco Mademoiselle that people have very decided preferences of one form over another. You really have to play and decide for yourself because it's all so subjective this love and preference in fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Eau de parfum is an allrounder.

At Guerlain they always suggest to wear both perfume extract and edt. The perfume should be applied directly on the skin for it's longlasting quality, as the edt should be sprayed on clothes for sillage.
    Toilette not only means WC in french but is also an old fashioned word for outfit, eau de toilette = outfit water.

so which is better???

all along i know there are these few types of perfume... but didnt know they are differentiated into classis, edp and edt.....

only thing i realised is that edt is nt as long lasting as edp.... so classic perfume are those that printed perfume rite?? then edp and edt are mentioned on the bottles as well???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Eau de parfum is an allrounder.

At Guerlain they always suggest to wear both perfume extract and edt. The perfume should be applied directly on the skin for it's longlasting quality, as the edt should be sprayed on clothes for sillage.
    Toilette not only means WC in french but is also an old fashioned word for outfit, eau de toilette = outfit water.
    I agree. People from the Guerlain counter told me that especially the old fragrances (Jicky, L'Heure Bleue) were used in a perfume form, and EdT was meant to refresh the scent later, to enliven the top notes.

Well, I try to keep that in mind, but with modern fragrances I usually decide according to strength+cost balance. To make it simple, I'd rather take Edt for summer frags and EdP for colder seasons. I think most of modern scents don't have any crucial differences in EdT and EdP form, except for richness. No extra notes, just the concentration. Try EdT, and if you feel it's not enough, go for EdP. Take Perfume, if you are 1.rich, 2. like chic going out 3. want to have the ultimate experience of a scent
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Hmmm....well so far (after prancing around this weekend wearing samples) I seem to like Coco Madmoiselle more. (I bought Chance a few weeks ago, but returned the bottle unopened because I had been wearing a tester sample that was given to me, and got sick of the fragrance.)

Coco Madmoiselle is not my ultimate favorite fragrance all on it's own. I like it enought to want a small bottle, but that's it. I just think it adds that extra bit of maturity to my collection that it is lacking so far. I have beent trying to find someting a bit more comanding that I can wear to work. (Most of my perfumes are light, and wear close to the skin, so I want something that projects a bit better.) Since I haven't been able to find something that I adore, I am experimenting with layering, and when I layer it with a violet/rose scent, I think it becomes quite pretty on me.

If I intend to layer it with something else, would the EDT be a better choice, or the EDP? The fragrance I want to layer it with goes on very lightly, but changes it enough that I start to really like what I am smelling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    edt should be sprayed on clothes for sillage.
    I've heard (and seen for myself) that spraying fabric with fragrance isn't a good idea. It can damage some fabrics, and it can be the very devil to get it out (depending on what it is).

I've permanently damaged many an expensive bra and blouse with careless use of fragrances...

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Post Thanks / Like

I've checked the descriptions of both at ozmoz, and they are different! I remembered it that way, but was not sure. If it's the rose/violet wich you want to enliven, then it might be better to get EdP, for it's more on the floral side (no litchi,grapefruit,vanilla,musk). This is what ozmoz says:
    "Despite sharing an olfactory family with the Eau de Parfum, the Eau de toilette nevertheless manages to impose its difference thanks to a unique alchemy, spun from sweetness and light. The advertising campaign still stars Kate Moss in a world of white with black highlights. The white décor establishes the fragrance[ch8217]s world of understated elegance."

Coco Mademoiselle EdToilette
    Top note : Orange, Bergamot, Grapefruit

Middle note : Litchi, Rose, Italian jasmine

Base note : Indonesian patchouli, Haitian vetiver, Bourbon vanilla, white musk

Coco Mademoiselle EdParfum
    Top note : Orange, Bergamot

Middle note : Rose, Jasmine

Base note : Patchouli, Vetiver
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Wow, thanks Audrey!

It never occured to me that the fragrance notes might be different. How interesting. They should both smell very different then. I will head over to the department store and try on a sample of the Perfume on one wrist, and the Eau de Toillete on the other. I am very interested to see how they smell!

Thanks so much!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caribbeanblue79
    (I forgot to add this! *I would also like to hear what goes through your mind when you are deciding between an Eau de Toillette vs the Eau de Perfume, or the Classic Perfume. *What makes you choose one or the other?)
    First, I try the fragrance out in it's lightest form - this is usually EDT or EDP these days. For something heavy or Oriental, like Opium or Youth Dew, I usually go with the lightest form to start out with and test drive that before I move onto a stronger form like the genuine perfume. For a floral, like L'air Du Temps or J'Adore, I start out with the EDP or the genuine perfume, if avaialbe in that strength.

But it's pretty much trial & error. Some scents actually smell better in their lighter forms, some in heavier. It all depends upon how your body reacts to the scent. Some body chemistries pick of citrus in fragrances and some really anchor well with the gourmands or vanillas.

What definitely sells me on the genuine perfume is that if I really love a fragrance that much, I want it to last as long as possible, and by layering all the forms, you will not have to constantly reapply all day long. Also, the genuine perfume will probably give you the truest form of the scent. It all really depends upon the individual's preferences.