Code of Conduct

Default fragrance hijacking

Hello all you perfumistas out there.

I'm a beauty journalist for a national women's magazine and am researching a feature on what to do when your best friend, sister, or someone close to you hijacks you favourite perfume. Eg. you've found something niche and unique that is synonymous with you and your style; everone asks you what you're wearing etc.....then your best friend rushes out and buys the same scent. you no longer feel like its yours and your back at square one looking for your signature scent all over again. I'd like your thoughts.....has this happened to you? is this beauty blasphemy? are there some unsaid rules about wearing the same fragrance as your best friend. I'd love to hear from you. Cheers.

Default Re: fragrance hijacking

It would be interesting to read our Ladies' opinions on this.

Personally, I think it is a wrong question for this audience. My strong belief is that we are here exchanging fragrances and fragrance-related information, learning from other's experiences and encouraging each other. I have never been a cheer-leader in my life, but often times on Basenotes I feel like one.

I have a handful of signature scents, therefore it does not bother me at all to give a name or even a decant of the fragrance that I am wearing at any given moment. On top of that, I have about 50 in the category "Others". I suppose, it reqires love and compassion and understanding to appreciate a nice composition. And also about me: once a teacher -- always a teacher! I am pleased to share my knowledge and to hear other people's thoughts and impressions, and I am always happy that a scent suits them to a T. I feel a bit upset when the scent does not "sit right" on them, but I am not giving up, either. It happened with Poeme on my SIL -- she loved it on me, but on her it was a cheap and loud yellow acacia, somehow "sun tired" and "too much". Where did the mimosa and the honey go, I do not know. And you know what? We kept trying together: two attractive girls (and age does not matter, really!) were having a blast at the mall. Sicily soaped up on her, #4 was too sweet and too in the face, Faubourg 24 was too woody, and Versace Yellow Jeans just fit the bill, in all senses, too! After that she graduated to Yves Rocher Mimosa (not without the influence of this board) and now planning to get a sample of Mimosa pour Moi (after a chorus singing praise to it here). This is as good as it gets and this is progress!

Good luck on your article and welcome to Basenotes! What fragrances do you like and why? And what is your "signature(s)"?

LOL!

I don't think anyone here has a signature scent to hijack! As for me, I'm more likely to make samples of my favorites and press them on friends to try! I made a whole basket of samples for a good friend to cheer her (and me) up, and I was never so pleased as when she fell for one of my favorites. When I love something, I also love to know others appreciate it as well. We had a scent synchronization day together and giggled like fifth graders on the playground. A new member of a secret club! Friends are *all* good!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilyandjoe
    I'm a beauty journalist ... you no longer feel like its yours and your back at square one.
    Hello, young journalist. I'm a publishing veteran. Watch your "yours" and "you'res." * (Ah, heck. I do that, too, from time to time.)

I think the advice most of would give is (as previously stated), if you have a solitary signature scent, you're limiting your pleasure. Click on most members' profiles and then their wardrobe links, and you'll see that even five scents usually aren't enough once you become familiar with the range of products out there. Visit the "abuse clinic" portion of this site, and you'll see many consider 20 a reasonable minimum number of fragrances to own.

As to the emotions involved: When I get a friend hooked on one of my favorite scents, I feel closer to her. When she does the same for me, I'm eternally grateful to her.

Now, isn't it interesting to start your article with one perspective and then lead your reader to unexpected conclusions, taking a subject from the seemingly petty to a finer, higher level of appreciation for the plentititude available in the marketplace today?

Of course, as this piece rolls off the press, you must tell us!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I used to wear Guerlain's Jicky for years without letting on what it was. Once, after a few drinks I let it slip and promptly three of my friends went out and bought it. Even though I knew I reacted irationally I was deeply offended.

Nowadays I'm not so fussy and I do tell people what I'm wearing. Ususally the price I pay puts them off so they don't buy it even if they love it. And Jicky is still a favourite and so deeply linked with me I don't mind if other wear it as well.

Blog Entries

I will answer from a slightly different stand point. I have and need many different perfumes to reflect my different moods and social needs. I also like to recommend my personal favourites and am extremely pleased when the person loves it and intergrates it into their own collection.

However, I have found myself 'turned off' or 'uninterested' in those scents that significant females around me wear as their only 'signature' perfume. My actual feelings towards them can also 'taint' my perception of a scent. This is reinforced by the fact that many of the the women close to me are traditionalists: 1 woman, 1 perfume.

Example #1:
    I introduced my (not so) baby sister to Givenchy Very Irresistible when it first came out and she has loved and worn nothing else since. I did try it briefly before passing on the sample but it was not 'me'. I usually love perfumes anyway but at the moment I feel no need to have a bottle for myself.

Example #2:
    My (now ex) dear friend turned 30 a few years ago and spoilt herself with a new perfume to celebrate this milestone. She chose Omnia by Bulgari. It suits her. I have read recently that it has a blend of notes that I usually enjoy and would be sure to have a place for in my (truly) extensive collection.

Even though I may never wear it when seeing her and we have completely different skin 'chemistry' so it would smell completely different on us both - I have no desire what so ever to obtain even a sample of this perfume. I am actually surprised at just how much I DON'T want it! :shrug:

We are no longer in contact, and there are many unresolved resentments between us that I believe would taint the perfume for me. It would never be a HG for me anyway - just a passing fancy. Anyway, I have at least 13 HG / signature perfumes (not to mention the unque blends I create for myself), she only has the one. God bless, she can keep it! ;D
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

That initially used to bug me, and for awhile, I would lie when someone would ask me what fragrance I was wearing. But then I thought, "Who cares? What' the use? " After all, every scent will smell slightly different on every wearer. So, in essence, everyone has their own body chemistry & the scent, in that incarnation, becomes uniquely "theirs." And, as Concord mentioned, not everyone can afford what you wear or the perfume form you choose to wear it in. Or, they'll wear it once or twice & decide they hate it & move onto something new.
    I often think that smelling a fragrance on someone else accounts for at least 75% of the reasons why a person will be compelled to go out and purchase a particular fragrance: smelling it on another person is the greatest form of advertisement there is. You might love it, you might hate it, you might buy it or pass on it. But at least you went out there and tried something new.

Hi Lilyandjoe, and Welcome!

It was all well and good until my mother-in-law starting wearing something I'd previously thought of as a "seduction" scent. It rather lost it's sex appeal after that. A fun thing came out of it, though, because now I'm the only one in the family who "understands" her taste in fragrance and I get her something special for her birthday each year. She loves whatever I buy her. We do have some of the same fragrances but they don't smell the same on our individual chemistries.

As far as friends go, I push my fragrances on every breathing soul around me. I love to give fragrances to people who enjoy them, and I don't mind smelling my favorite fragrances on others because, after all, I love what I'm smelling.

You must smell irresistible in whatever you're wearing if your friend couldn't resist it. Take it as a compliment and enjoy the way she smells.

I say as most others, I would not mind at all! On the opposite, I would be happy if I inspired someone to get a new lovable perfume. Yesterday I gave away a bottle to a dear friend, happy that she liked it. I have perfumes so I manage anyhow...
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

My quest to find a better signature scent was kicked off after my best friend bought the Marc Jacobs for Men that I'd been wearing for the past year for her new BOYFRIEND. This annoyed me, because I'd thought I was being novel by wearing men's fragrance (duh, right?). It smelled like what girls should smell like to me. And my friend bought it for her man because she liked it on me... which I suppose should be a compliment, albeit kind of a weird one. This wasn't the sort of thing I'd bother fighting with anyone over, but it sort of raised my eyebrow for a second like, "that's kind of messed up." I think when she told me I said, "Ew!" and that was that.

I think she's over Marc Jacobs for Men on him anyway, because she found out that Aramis 900 smelled exactly like her beloved Aromatics Elixir and now they match. Also, now that I've taken it upon myself to get educated about perfume, I've found about 90 scents I like better than MJ for Men anyway. So all's well that ends well.

Never had a problem. My friends are very much different from me, and while we might like this or that scent on each other, we can never wear them.

Thankfully, I have very scent-savvy friends. Not as crazy as I am, but pretty darn close. ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

This is actually a great topic!!! 8-)

When I was in HS I would always get compliments on things and I would never tell people unless they asked specificly what it was. That way I could keep my signature smell a secret. The truth is I have so many smells that I could just use the others if someone jacked my scent. I had a group of 5 who were basenote members and we all had a unwritten rule not to coppy the others scents. It worked and I am glad we did it.

I always hated smelling people who went out and bought something that I took so long to decide on. I had to go out and find it, smell it and then decide it was good enough. They just smell it once and buy it. They don't know what it is that they are going for. Girlfriends buy what I wear for their boyfriends and it just gets played out when you have two people in a room with the same fragrance. I would prefer everyone to just smell it for themselves in a bottle at a store. That way they can at least say that they didn't copy because they did their own testing and smelling around. Now that I'm in college, I don't smell any that are too similar to mine. I have a few like Chrome and Cool Water that everyone here has but that is ok because I'll still have more than a few others that they don't have!!

The best part is when they ask what I am wearing and I say some strange French words to them!! They don't know what I am talking about at all. They lose interest because they wouldn't be ablt to repeat what I said if I paid them. I really would rather not say my designer fragrances because anyone can get them but there are still so many that are unknown to most people. I like to be unique and smell nice. I don't want other people around me smelling the same way....

Fabulous topic indeed. You know, people complement me on the fragrance I'm wearing quite often, and that is usually followed by "what scent is it?", especially if they know me better. Although I try to keep them hidden at heart, I cannot help but usually share this information. I show bottles and testers to people visiting if they ask about what I'm wearing or the conversations runs into scents.
    I'd probably not share this with complete strangers though. However, like Concord mentioned, most people don't even have access to the fragrances we wear, so mostly, it doesn't matter if they know it or not. They're probably turned off when they hear one of those exotic names and instantly put it off their mind : :-X
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

People always ask me what I am wearing--it never bothers me to reveal. I have so many different fragrances that it would be really unreasonable for me to be bothered if a friend went out and bought an identical scent. I would say my signature scent is Tiffany. I've never met anyone else that wears it--I've been told, "Oh I love that--that's what my mom wears!" and "Oh--my sister wears that!" and I think those relatives of acquaintances are the only two people I've heard of that also wear this amazing scent.

I don't think any of my friends have bought perfume because they like it on me, but I don't think any of them own more than maybe two bottles of perfume. They definitely don't wear fragrance on a daily basis (can you imagine what they must think of my fragrance obsession?). My best friend is horrified that I buy my boyfriend cologne. A lot of girls I know do not like cologne on a man or perfume on themselves. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I grew up in Podunk, USA??!? Most people around here just smell like beer and cigarettes. An occasional 18-year-old boy might smell like Axe.

My mother, though, always asks what I am wearing and then tries it herself. Then she pouts when it doesn't smell the same on her and says, "Why does everything smell so good on you??" So, don't worry, even if someone does try to lift your scent, it most likely won't work out for them, even if they are blood relatives.

Because of this hijacking, fragrance layering has become extremely popular making it harder for others to copy you.

Also fragrances don't smell the smell on everyone so I haven't really known this to be much of a problem. (i'm in the UK btw).

Back in Austin, Texas two of my closest girl friends each have laid claim to their own signature scent, Marc Jacobs on one and Michael Kors for the other. I love both immensely (heh, the gals and the perfumes!). We are all three dark featured brunettes, so I think that these scents would possibly work on all three of us (perhaps untrue but we all like these kinds of deep lush scents). However I always have to be different, so I got Hanae Mori and feels that it suits me perfectly. And we _did_ have an unwritten law, not to adapt each other's "signature" scent. However I have since moved, and am planning on trying each of their scents in turn. Who knows, my chemistry might not handle it well, or I may end up not liking them... but it's funny to think I never even tried them before because of my girl friends' "claims" to them!
    I agree with what others have been posting, though-- the fragrance will change to be unique to your body chemistry, and would add that to claim as "uniquely yours" something that is (generally) a mass-marketed product is kinda silly. But, I can't say that my feathers would not be ruffled, if Jen or Laura had picked up the Hanae Mori at the same time I did... :

Well.............it's actually the highest form of compliment that anybody can give you to copy you even though I know that it isn't always pleasant.

If it was my "signature scent" it would make me mad but I would NOT give it up!!! That would be giving her all the power. She'll probably move on to something else. If not...I wear whatever makes me feel good. But then.....I never wear just ONE fragrance all the time anyway......I have a wardrobe of fragrances.

I never felt that anybody hijacked a fragrance from me. There are so many scents that I love, even if it bothered me that other people are wearing them - it wouldn't realistic to expect people around me to avoid so many scents...
    On the contrary, I actuallyl feel flattered when someone wants to wear something I wear. It happened to me once - my best friend's mom fell in love with Diorissimo a few years when I visited back home. Last year when I visited there again, my friend told me that her mom is wearing "my" perfume. I was puzzled for a moment, because I did not recall giving her any of my perfume line, and than I understood it was Diorissimo... I was very flattered to be associated with it, not to mention that my friend's mother ended up loving it - she is an admirable woman by the way.

I can make any scent my own if it works on me, regardless of who wears it... For instance - for years I associated No. 5 with my X mother in law. She was a heavy smoker and it smelled awful with all the smoke aftermath... But than I decided to try the parfum and I love it and it does not remind me of her at all.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

It doesn't actualy bother me. My mother-in-law has very similar taste to mine in fragrances (in many other things, too, come to think of it) and so we often end up wearing the same fragrance. I don't think it would bother me if a friend did it, either, we'd both just smell great!

In fact, I have a story about a sort of opposite reaction... Years ago I used to wear Estee Lauder White Linen a lot. It was more or less my signature scent, and I always got compliments when I wore it.

My then-husband's brother and wife were visiting us and the wife asked if I had any perfume she would wear (because they had decided to go out and do something or other, and she hadn't brought any). I offered White Linen, and she turned up her nose at it (and also Estee, which I also used to wear quite a bit). She asked if I didn't have some Jovan Musk around (no, I didn't; I'm not a fan of musk, and definitely not Jovan Musk).

But the thing is, I was actually quite offended that she thought these great perfumes (well, I found them great, anyway!) were so awful, almost as if they were beneath her delicate sensibilities...

I am over that now, of course. Not only have I matured, I've come to understand that perfume is very personal and what I love, someone else might hate and vice versa. There's no accounting for taste, including mine.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Quote Originally Posted by lucyhanako
    I agree with what others have been posting, though-- the fragrance will change to be unique to your body chemistry, and would add that to claim as "uniquely yours" something that is (generally) a mass-marketed product is kinda silly. But, I can't say that my feathers would not be ruffled, if Jen or Laura had picked up the Hanae Mori at the same time I did... :
    I totally forgot about this... I work where most women do not wear fragrances or even dress up most of the time - Recreational Equipment Inc. (outdoor outfitter) I'm one of two out of 10 women who do wear them to work.

It turns out that I have relatively unique or obscure fragrances (one of them cannot be found online anywhere, and a chinese one not available here in the states). I have three others definitely not available in most online stores. None of these are available in any other stores in my area that I know of.

deafdrummer

I've never had anyone copy me, but I have refrained from wearing the same fragrance as a coworker. A few years ago, I had purchased Eau du Ciel, but had not started wearing it yet (I think I was waiting for Spring). But then a new person started working in our office and I was dismayed when I caught whiffs of this lovely fragrance on her and she wore it everyday. Well, I just couldn't wear it. Even though I bought it before I smelled it on her, I didn't want her to think I was copying her. She may not have even cared, but it just wouldn't have been enjoyable for me to wear someone else's signature in their presence. So I tucked it away. I had about a million other fragrances to wear, anyway. I don't work there anymore so now I can wear it whenever I like

Like many others here, I've always felt it would be great to share my fragrances rather than be exclusive with them. However, lately, I've been feeling a little territorial about Coco Mademoiselle, a recent purchase. I know this is ridiculous since it's a well known fragrance. But here's the thing: I like that it's popular (so it won't be discontinued soon) and I wouldn't even mind if I smelled it often on strangers while out and about. But I'm just really enjoying the fact that no friends, family members, coworkers, or anyone I see on a daily basis, wears this. It's all mine, for now. If someone in my circle starts to wear this...I don't know how I would feel. Maybe bothered, maybe flattered. I'll let you know if it happens

Signature scents tend to drive me nuts because they become rather boring, then tedious, then even nauseating. Variety is key! However, I do have favorites, and I love to share them. A very dear friend lives on the other side of the planet and we see each other only once a year- we've been close since early childhood. Roma is one of my favorites and I bought here a bottle. Samsara is one of hers and she bought me a bottle. Now we have days when we both wear Roma or Samsara and it's just wonderful, knowing we're wearing the same thing, thousands of miles apart.
    I think stealing someone else's frag may not even be possible because a perfume smells so different on each person. It becomes fairly unique, even strong scents like Angel, which are fairly ubiquitous.

Well, you know what they say: Imitation is the sincerest form of plagiarism. Or, er, something along those lines.

I'm always happy to tell people what I'm wearing. Heck, I'll even write it down if it's hard to spell. I just miss out on seeing their faces when they get around to finding the price tag

If I could find a friend who had a collection comparable to mine, I'd be delighted. Besides, I don't have a signature scent. I could go months without repeating anything.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I've developed certain favourites that I feel are so representive of me that I don't know if I'd be that happy to smell them on someone else. These scents are a little unusual/uncommon so there's not much chance of the average Joe picking them up. And again, the price tags tend to be pretty hefty. Most of my friends aren't bonkers for fragrances, so I'm pretty 'safe'.
    I do want people to enjoy what I wear, however. And there are certain people that I actually enjoy smelling like; my mother, an elegant acquaintance, etc. These fragrances do smell somewhat different on everyone, anyway.
    I have been totally turned off fragrances that other people wear because of a bad association with that person. Angel was worn by two women I worked with, and these two women completely encapsulated 'lack of class'. I could never bring myself to even try it, despite the fact it seems like something I'd enjoy.
    Also, I do want to smell unique. I don't tend to be attracted to 'popular' fragrances. This is just pure snobbery on my part.

If a friend or family member really likes a scent I have I usually get it for them for Christmas or as a birthday present. I have so many perfumes that the chances of the 2 of us wearing it on the same day are slim to none.
    Last edited by tinker424; 8th November 2006 at 04:32 PM.

The way I figure it, the more people who buy "my fragrance" the more profitable it will be for the company that makes it, and the more likely it will continue to be made. All the better for me. We at Basenotes share a common dislike for the following occurrence--discontinued fragrances.
    Besides, I rotate 15 different fragrances that I regularly own, plus the ongoing, ever-changing stream of samples that I buy and trade. Viva la difference. Share and share alike.

I don't have signature scents either. The only person who hijacks my fragrances, though, is my mother. And I truly don't mind. After all the raiding of her closet and perfumes I did as a youngster, I owe her big time.

Post Re: fragrance hijacking

I wouldn't think of it as 'hijacking' at all if someone chose to wear a fragrance because they liked the way it smelled on me. I started gleaning info from Basenotes originally to help me in my search for the elusive 'signature' scent but what I have learned instead is that there are quite a few scents that I love to wear depending on mood, season, whatever. I am not possessive of these at all because after all I only buy the bottle not the sole rights to wear the scent within say a five mile radius! Wearing fragrance is a fun, pleasurable thing to do, the same scent can vary quite a bit from one person to another and I just think to describe wearing a scent in this way as 'hijacking' makes it sound mean when really it could be a viewed as such a complement.

It would be interesting to know which scent she hijacked. I, myself would feel very complimented if someone liked my scent enough to want to wear it always, but this would be very hard for someone to do because I like so many different scents. But if I did like only one and someone took it, I would have fun finding another.

Default I think Twolf got it right

I think the fragrance perspectives of Basenotes members are not really geared to thinking in these terms. There is a lot of thought and reflection about scents, so marketing--often what hypes something as "uniquely yours"--is unlikely to have an undiluted impact on the decisions that we make, or our reactions to the fragrance decisions of others. There is also the knowledge that chemistry plays such a large part in the way a fragrance develops on a given person, that "highjacking" is not that likely. My mum's signature fragrance is L'Heure Bleu, lovely on her, dull and nasty on me.

I may be a bit of an oddball, since only own one (full bottle) fragrance (although the heaps of testers I have attest to my ongoing exploration) and very seldom find something I truly wish to wear, yet I can't say that it would trouble me to run across someone wearing the same scent. I adore fragrance, but my individuality is certainly not determined by that alone
    Sharing, and the exploring that accompanies it, is fun!

My mother is notorious for this. When she visits, she helps herself to my perfume. Several years ago, she got hooked on one of my favorites. My solution: after we moved to our new house I told her I couldn't find that perfume. By that time, I was sick of it because she'd worn it to death. Now, I monitor her because once she put on a ton of my Opium parfum (which she said she couldn't smell.) I caught her just as she was about to put on a different perfume!