Code of Conduct

Default Any really nice grapefruit scents?

**So I am wondering -- are there any fragrances out there containing grapefruit that do not make one smell like a kitchen-freshening scented candle, an aromatherapy remedy or a diet drink? *Are there any elegant grapefruit scents --- calling Serge Lutens, paging Frederic Malle...Chanel, are you listening?

*Last year various stories sprung out of some scent and attractiveness studies conducted at the Scent and Taste Treatment Center and Institute in Chicago. Its lead researcher, Dr. Alan Hirsch, began to pursue this research area after noticing that nearely 1/5th of his patients who had lost their senses of smell experienced sexual dysfunction. He theorized, like others, that there must be a sex-scent link. So what scents? *Is it all about undetectable pheremones? *If there are sexy scents that we can smell, what are they? *(see my thread on the male forum "The ultimate chic magnet" for a good laugh!http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...1141301395/0#0 ) And what other ways do scents affect our attraction to others or our very own attractiveness?

*One of the more interesting findings to me as a woman approaching 40, was that when women of a certain age (as the diplomatic French are wont to say) wore a grapefruit scent, that men consistently rated their age as being approximately six years younger. *30 scents were used and the women encountered many men while wearing different scents.

**A brief and somewhat accurate AP tidbit from 2005 about the grapefruit angle and age perception.

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiol...rapefruit.html

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any really nice grapefruit scents

Thanks, sanddrift, for this interesting thread!

This study was mentioned in a Norwegian newspaper a couple of months ago, only they wrote seven years younger! The only frag with grapefruit that comes to my mind right now is Davidoff Echo, but I`ll do some research, for sure. Becoming 51 in May, I sure need a lot of grapefruit....

Sorry, "Echo" seemed to contain grape, not grapefruit.. :-[
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Any really nice grapefruit scents?

LOL. ;D

Perfumes which have a highlighted Grapefruit note but are still unique / elegant :

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune
    This grapefruit note is sharp, sulphurous like the fresh zest of a bitter grapefruit but the whole is a wonderful summer scent with some depth.

Caron Alpona
    A growing lemming of mine. Caron say it is 'Hesperide cyprus' or lemon / grapefruit floral chypre and that the grapefruit is a balance between gourmand and resinous crystallised fruit. All on a fresh floral chypre base. mmmmm :drool:

Police Eyes for you
    I think this is unfortunately discontinued but still available on line. This is a gorgeous modern scent with fresh mouthwatering pink grapefruit over a soft floral vanilla musk base. What makes this unusual / unique is the distinct 'hazelnut' accord that emerges and compliments the grapefruit. Though gourmand it is not foody and is actually quite chic. :love:

Christian Lacroix Bazar
    I have heard that this too is discontinued but I am sure it can still be found on line. This is a wonderfully fresh grapefruit scent over white light florals ending in a vanilla musk base.
    A very close alternative is Dior Addict 2.

Other perfumes with a strong grapefruit note I haven't tried but you may enjoy are:

D&G Light Blue
    Dior Baby Doll
    Moschino I Love Love
    Czech & Speake Citrus Paradisi (a long time lemming of mine)

I do hope this list helps. Enjoy the search and do report back with your personal discoveries / findings / views.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    LOL. *;D

Perfumes which have a highlighted Grapefruit note but are still unique / elegant :

Caron Alpona
    A growing lemming of mine. Caron say it is 'Hesperide cyprus' or lemon / grapefruit floral chypre and that the grapefruit is a balance between gourmand and resinous crystallised fruit. All on a fresh floral chypre base. mmmmm :drool:

Police Eyes for you
    I think this is unfortunately discontinued but still available on line. This is a gorgeous modern scent with fresh mouthwatering pink grapefruit over a soft floral vanilla musk base. What makes this unusual / unique is the distinct 'hazelnut' accord that emerges and compliments the grapefruit. Though gourmand it is not foody and is actually quite chic. :love:

Other perfumes with a strong grapefruit note I haven't tried but you may enjoy are:

Czech & Speake Citrus Paradisi (a long time lemming of mine)

Yummy, yum, yum, Thank you! Those three certainly sound like trying.

More of Hirsch's research indicated men are attracted to vanilla (but older men even more so) and cinnamon. But guy's top most arousing fragrance (causing a 40% increase in blood flow to the -- ahem, forgive me for getting anatomical -- genital region) was of all things a combination of pumpkin pie (cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cream, sugar, vanilla, orange zest, squash) and lavender. *Now I for one, think I would rather serve this as a dessert in a seduction scenario *(pie a la mode with lavender ice cream) with a side of grapefruit and dim candlelight and maybe that is what is really meant by "the way to a man's hert is through his stomach."

You may want to to try Eau d'Hadrien (by Annick Goutal).
    It's perhaps one of the freshest, most citrusy of all summer fragrances that I know of.
    The EDP version is a bit muted in terms of its sharp grapefruit notes, but lasts longer. I still prefer the EDT especially during the summer times.
    It's a savoury concoction of grapefruit, and seaweed notes that you may find rather strange -- initially at least.
    Get a sample first if you can, and wear it a few times. You may just fall in love with it.

Here is AG's link: *http://www.annickgoutal.nl/en/fragra...hadrien_f.html

^^

Thank you, Godzilla.

and judging from the traffic this thread is getting (very low), grapefruit will remain a secret weapon for all those of us over 34 who bothered to read this!

I want to invite Godzilla, the only male responding, to come over while I am wearing AG or the others and tell me I look 29!

A

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift
    ^^

Thank you, Godzilla.

and judging from the traffic this thread is getting (very low), grapefruit will remain a secret weapon for all those of us over 34 who bothered to read this!

I want to invite Godzilla, the only male responding, to come over while I am wearing AG or the others and tell me I look 29!

A

Oh, I'd love to do the honor. Just let me know, and I'll FedEx my nose to you overnight.
    Please treat it gently as it's been rather heavily overworked lately! *;D

Ahhhh grapefruit works then

Well in that case let's see if I can add any more....

Chanel so Coco Mademoiselle Eau de toilette
    AMOR AMOR - Cacharel
    YSL Baby Doll (one of my favorites for the summer)
    Byblos by Byblos (have not tried it myself but smells heavenly on a co-worker)
    Bond N°9 - Little Italy (opens with the yummiest of the yummiest of grapefruit and mandarin and Clementine)
    Bond N°9 - Eau de New York
    Hermès - Amazone
    Libertine - Westwood sadly discontinued
    Coco Mademoiselle Eau de toilette

"Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Post Thanks / Like

Found some more:

Happy (Clinique)
    DKNY Be Delicious
    Feraud Paris (Louis Feraud)
    Tommy Girl (Tommy Hilfiger)
    Intrusion (Oscar de la Renta)
    Caline (Gres)
    Miami Glow (j-lo)
    Youth Dew Amber Nude (Lauder)
    Image Woman (Cerruti)
    Mariella Burani
    Amuleti (Mariella Burani)
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like

I double the D&G LIght Blue, Moschino I love love and Guerlain Pamplelune recommendations. These are the scents where you can actually smell grapefruit, without the candle feeling you're not so hot about ;D

There are also a couple of wonderful, fresh and definitely young scents containing yuzu, which is japanese grapefruit. I don't know tho if it's supposed to be an aphrodisiac? To name a few :
    D&G Feminine, Eau de Cartier and Hanae KM.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

I actually like the Floris Pink Grapefruit a lot, though the longevity could be better. It makes me feel younger, I guess, though not six years younger. I would consider it unisex, and have gotten a couple positive comments on it. A nice summer scent.

Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

YSL In Love Again.

Post Thanks / Like

I like grapefruit in fragrances and as a fruit. Grapefruit scents are never Qui vir odiosus, or, in other words, they stand out as refreshing, playful, summery. To the aforementioned Baby Doll and In Love Again, please let me add Kenzo La Monde Est Beau, with its juicy and slightly bitter grapefruit on the creamy woody base.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

grapefruit oil is extremely volatile and ive heard its hard to work with, I think this is why there are so few grapefruit scentes. Annick Goutal doesn't have alot of grapefruit to it but it is a very good clean, organic citrus, might be a little dated by todays overuse of lemon in cleaning products, but definatley worth trying. I use the deodorant form actually.

I really like Clarins Par Amour Toujours- it's somewhat similar to Baby Doll but it doesn't have that red currant note or "leafy note" (rhubarb?) in it, that makes me feel ill. For a good basic Grapefruit without frills, I like Origins Gloomaway. And, AA Pamplelune, as mentioned, is a nice one. If you like a sultry grapefruit scent, try Velvet Rope by Apothia- it's not a "pure" grapefruit, but that's definitely one of the main notes, along with the dry vanilla martini.

Anna Sui - Secret Wish is shockfull of grapefruit, but a tad too girly I guess.

Hermes Un jardin sur le Nil has a nice grapefruit topnote.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe
    Hermes Un jardin sur le Nil has a nice grapefruit topnote.
    i do however recommend you stay away from it, due to the hairspray and garbage notes

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    [quote author=Vinterdroppe link=1141305593/15#16 date=1141468661]Hermes Un jardin sur le Nil has a nice grapefruit topnote.
    i do however recommend you stay away from it, due to the hairspray and garbage notes[/quote]
    Those do not come out on my skin. Unless someone threw very nice-smelling things in the gabage.

Jo Malone and Comptoir Sud Pacifique - both have really nice grapefruit scents!

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune & Jo Malone Grapefruit

Only two of them are very true to grapefruit scents.

Otherwise, you can find grapefruit being used a lot in the top notes of many fragrances:

YSL In Love Again
    YSL Baby Doll
    Loewe I Loewe You
    Hermessence Rose Ikebana
    Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil
    Azzaro Pink Tonic
    Guerlain Agua Allegoria Pivoine Magnifica
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    DKNY Be Delicious
    Christin Dior Addict 2
    and so on and so forth.................

And as far as I know, there was no grapefruit note contained in D&G Light Blue

Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    Annick Goutal doesn't have alot of grapefruit to it but it is a very good clean, organic citrus, might be a little dated by todays overuse of lemon in cleaning products, but definatley worth trying. I use the deodorant form actually.
    Czesc, I use the deodorant also and I was wondering if you found the texture a bit odd? Mine seems to be very soft and crumbly. Is this normal? Maybe I got a bad one, although the scent is fine so I use it.

I agree, I don't get a lot of grapefruit from Eau d'Hadrien, mostly lemon. For a grapefruit scent I second the suggestion for Origin's Gloomaway. I don't know the lasting power but it's quite a nice and bright grapefruit scent. And definitely Babydoll has a lot of grapefruit.

I seem to recall one from YSL that had a predominant grapefruit note. Not sure, but it could have been "In Love Again." I know that "babydoll" has some grapefruit, but it's more on the sweeter side of fruity.

Another grapedruit-heavy scent would be Prescriptive's "Calyx."

Have you tried any of the Guerlain edts like Pampelmousse?

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn Spencer Hurwitz White Grapefruit is really true to the fruit. Her Yuzu is pretty, too, but doesn't smell as much like an actual grapefruit. I really like Aqua Allegoria Pampelune. It's so uplifting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe
    [quote author=czesc link=1141305593/15#17 date=1141500370][quote author=Vinterdroppe link=1141305593/15#16 date=1141468661]Hermes Un jardin sur le Nil has a nice grapefruit topnote.
    i do however recommend you stay away from it, due to the hairspray and garbage notes[/quote]
    Those do not come out on my skin. Unless someone threw very nice-smelling things in the gabage.
    [/quote]

Jardin sur le Nil is gorgeous on me, too. It's definitely worth a try, as it does have some grapefruit and it smells so fresh. It makes me want to go to Egypt. This one didn't cross my mind when I was previously replying to this post because the most outstanding note to me is green mango.

You also may want to try Diptyque Oyedo.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Inessa on the Jo Malone, which is lilting and fresh fresh fresh. Citrus hates me except for this one but dang, it doesn't linger long enough for me to go full hog and buy it. :-/
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Estée Lauder Pleasures Exotic has a very obvious, clear grapefruit-note. This is a toned-down scent.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Anna Sui - Secret Wish is shockfull of grapefruit, but a tad too girly I guess.
    But we are girls!

Sanddrift -
    Here's a thought that I read on a website the other day regarding aromatheraphy & grapefruit: women who wear grapefruit scents are perceived to be 10 years younger than they actually are. Don't know how true that is, but citrus scents usually give the wearer more energy & vitality, so I assume the two would go hand in hand.

I also checked on the YSL grapefruit fragrance & it is "In Love Again." "Baby Doll" is more on the sweet side.

Someone in a previous post mentioned Anna Sui's "Wish." I have personally tried that one on for size in a Victoria's Secret shop & I have to say, it would be quite a delight to wear in the summer months.

I believe smallflower.com has a grapefruit perfume oil in the L'Aromas (pampelmousse?) line. I've sampled it & it was nice, but there's a grapefruit & a pink grapefruit essential oil in the Auroma essential oil line & both are really nice - not too obviously fruity but long lasting nonetheless

Calyx is nice, but can be a bit too much for some women.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaMae
    Sanddrift -
    Here's a thought that I read on a website the other day regarding aromatheraphy & grapefruit: women who wear grapefruit scents are perceived to be 10 years younger than they actually are. Don't know how true that is, but citrus scents usually give the wearer more energy & vitality, so I assume the two would go hand in hand.

I also checked on the YSL grapefruit fragrance & it is "In Love Again." "Baby Doll" is more on the sweet side.

Someone in a previous post mentioned Anna Sui's "Wish." I have personally tried that one on for size in a Victoria's Secret shop & I have to say, it would be quite a delight to wear in the summer months.

I believe smallflower.com has a grapefruit perfume oil in the L'Aromas (pampelmousse?) line. I've sampled it & it was nice, but there's a grapefruit & a pink grapefruit essential oil in the Auroma essential oil line & both are really nice - not too obviously fruity but long lasting nonetheless

Calyx is nice, but can be a bit too much for some women.
    Thank you, Rita Mae for all this info and insight - that's enough on Calyx to know I don't want to try it. I am sensitive so have to keep scent toned down and subtle or I keep getting distracted or irrtiated by a too-strong fragrance.

A

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,

I have been testing Etro's Shaal Nur all day (sample) and have decided that I love it. It has grapefruit in the top note according to Osmoz. However, the grapefruit is subtle. What I smell very clearly though is lemon zest (fresh grated lemon peel). I love the complexity of this scent and I love the drydown with beautiful incense and musk. Needless to say i went ahead and purchased it online today. I don't care of it's still winter in Minnesota, Shaal nur makes me feel like spring.

Krysia

The new lacoste's A touch of Sun! also, the guerlain Allegoria Pamplemousse...

Perscriptive's Caylx. I also love YSL's In Love Again, but there's a blackcurrant note.

My favorite is Kiehl's Grapefruit Oil. I've had it for quite a while and it's held up pretty well. It lasts all day on me too.

No one mentioned (perhaps I missed it) my very favorite grapefruit scent: Nicolai's Balle de Match Eau de Sport. Not sure if it's long lasting, but somewhat affordable at $60.
    Creeds Pamplemousse is nice as well, but much softer than the Nicolai's.

Calyx, by Prescriptives.

Post Thanks / Like

To me Crystal noir smells like grapefruit.Espesially in the opening of the fragrance.

Definitely get the Calyx -- good choice. For a scent on a shoestring, The Body Shop makes (or at least used to make) a very pleasant Grapefruit oil that can be diluted into an edp or an edt. To "tone it down," try a little of The Body Shop's White Musk, or perhaps their Japanese Musk.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I am in my fifties and got rid of my Angel because it smelled just like sweet grapefruit on me. (bops myself in the ear) I had always heard the scent that turns men on is hot buttered cinnamon buns. Oh well, got to go shopping again, heaven forbid I smell my age.

I second Floris Pink Grapefruit. Doesn't remind me of a candle scent ... it almost has a fizzy bite if that makes any sense. I love it in the summer and feel it has good longevity for a citrus scent.

I also love YSL Live Jazz (for men) -- unique grapefruit and mint/cilantro thing going on in this which is very refreshing.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Definitely Baby Doll. Hip by Patou has a zingy grapefuit note.