Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Please, no more vanilla perfumes! Suggestions..

OK....I realize this may be unpopular but frankly I've absolutely had it with vanilla fragrances. *

Yes, men like it. *

Yes, it smells good...in cookies.

I don't want to smell like a pineapple, a mango or a pear.

I don't want to smell like a tuberose.

I'm alergic to cinnamon oil.

So call me weird but let me know what you think might be a scent for me to try. *

RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Default Re: Please, no more vanilla perfumes! Suggestions.

maybe you can use some Male fragrances? a LOT of girls do that

From my experience:

Eau de Camille -AG
    Rose Essentielle -Bulgari
    Love in White -Creed
    Philosykos - Diptyque
    Index Cucumber Baie -Fresh
    Nahema -Guerlain
    Mimosa pour Moi -L'Artisan
    Verte Violette -L'Artisan
    FlowerbyKenzo -Kenzo
    Bluebell -Penhaligon's
    Elizabethan rose -Penhaligon's
    Paris -YSL

Have you already tried all these?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    From my experience:

Love in White -Creed

Have you already tried all these?
    Do not try Love in white! Not only does it have vanilla, it is dominant in the drydown! Shame on your shycat ;D I cannot stand vanilla in fragrances as it induces headache. I love to eat vanilla such as breyers natural vanilla ice cream and so forth but I don't want to smell like it

Oh dear, I didn't remember! Now that I check it , Nahema also has a vanilla note...Bad Shycat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Oh dear, I didn't remember! *Now that I check it , Nahema also has a vanilla note...Bad Shycat!! *
    hehehe, no treats for you tonight ;D Just kidding! Its ok.

Basenotes Plus

That's ok, shycat...I know you are trying to help. Yes, I've tried Love in White. Nothing "special" on me & the vanilla was quite predominant in the drydown. Paris smells way to much like chemicals. Definitely not what I expected. The only Penhaligon that smelled good on me was Castile & I bought a bottle.
    I've got loads of perfumes that have vanilla in them, even my beloved L'Huere Bleue has it. I've just become saturated by all the vanilla frags & can't tolerate most of them anymore.

Thank you again for the suggestions!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

There are a couple of complete sample sets from Serge Lutens on Ebay at the moment. You'd get 20 single use bubble samples, each a different fragrance. They are at $10.00 right now. Sounds like fun!!

RHM -

I second the advice of trying scents from "the other side" - there are lots of classic men's scents that have no sweetness at all.

There are plenty of women's scents without vanilla too. Perhaps, many of the new releases have vanilla as it is such a popular note (I too love vanilla both in food and perfumes...). There are entire categories of fragrance that don't rely on the sweetness of vanilla for their unique character - have you tried any chypres lately? Or any green florals?
    Well, because of the cinnamon restriction - you should stay away from spicy orientals, as well as spicy chypres. Quite a few chypres do have spicy notes in them as well - and depending on how sensitive you are to cinnamon, you may decide if to try them or not.

Here are a few chypres that to the best of my knowledge do not have vanilla in the base:
    Miss Dior (Dior)
    Ayalitta (Dior)
    No. 19 (Chanel - bordering on a green floral)
    l'Heure Exquise (Annick Goutal - also bordering on the green floral)
    Mitsouko (Guerlain - this is one of the least vanillic Guerlain scents, despite the Guerlinade, if you haven't tried it yet, it's one of the best perfumes ever!)
    Vo de Nuit (Guerlain, green and citrus top notes, also a more dry base of cedar and tonka and oakmoss, one of the best perfumes ever made as well and I don't find it particularly vanillic either despite it being a Guerlain)

There are also fresh cologne-type scents (citrus etc.) that you may find quite refreshing.
    Bvlgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert and au The Blanc (I like the white tea one a lot)
    ArbitRary (Quinta Essentia)
    Philosykos (Dyptique)
    Eau Sauvage (Dior)

Green florals:
    Vent Vert (Balmain)
    Ivoire (Balmain)
    Grin (Quinta Essentia)
    Private Collection (Estee Lauder)
    Verte Violette (l'Artisan)
    l'Ombre Dans l'Eau (Dyptique)
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Reading your post instantly came to my mind the great Hermes "L'eau de Merveilles".
    Not sweet, vanillic cinnamomish or gourmand; not flowery at all, but tremendously luscious and sexy. It has more of a salty quality, like tanned skin kissed by seabreeze... Give it a try!

You may like my latest obsession ~ Donna Karan Wenge, any of CdG's Incense Series scents, Acca Kappa Calycanthus, or nearly anything from Keiko Mecheri except for Paname. I think the idea of exploring Serge Lutens is great. He only has four with vanilla IIRC: Un Bois Vanille, Un Lys, Rahat Loukhoum and Douce Amere.
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

hmmm might wanna try Eau de Lalique?, Green Tea by ElizabethA? Inis?

I would have to suggest another Guerlain classic...........Mitsouko. I love it myself and wear it quite often. I hate Vanilla perfumes and every time I see mention of the new and horrendous Gaultier2 on the men's board, I squirm.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    I would have to suggest another Guerlain classic...........Mitsouko. I love it myself and wear it quite often. I hate Vanilla perfumes and every time I see mention of the new and horrendous Gaultier2 on the men's board, I squirm.

Quote Originally Posted by CoL˛
    [quote author=Prince Barry link=1140223401/0#12 date=1140294955]I would have to suggest another Guerlain classic...........Mitsouko. I love it myself and wear it quite often. I hate Vanilla perfumes and every time I see mention of the new and horrendous Gaultier2 on the men's board, I squirm.
    [/quote]

hehehe, col has a case of "cat scratch fever"

Basenotes Plus

You all are wonderful! *I was quite concerned about proclaiming my dislike for the vanilla based perfume, as I know that they have a tremendous fan base.

So here's the scoop, most of the readily avalible Serge Luten's & I do not agree with one another. *However, I really do like my sample of Iris Silver Mist, Bois de Violette & Meil de Bois. *I think that there's a lot of people who don't like the MdB, so I may be able to find that one.

Hermes' L'eau de Merveilles is quite wonderful but not very long lasting. *I seem to recall some buzz that there may be a stonger version of this one out this year. *I'll keep my eyes open.

CdG's Incense series has definite layering potential but my favorite was Sequoia.

The Donna Karan oils are very interesting but seem way too expensive for what they are.

I'm still working through a lot of your suggestions. *Ayala, I own Chanel #19 perfume & love it. *I don't always feel like I'm dressed enough to wear it, if you know what I mean.

The SA at Bloomies mistakenly informed me that the AG l'Heure Exquise had vanilla in it. *Drat! *That one sounds really pretty: ladylike without the vanilla.

I did find this gem: "Savor the warm sensuality of Kashmir Saffron, rich red Cedar and a subtle hint of Leather with Jack Black's "Signature Black Mark Fragrance." *Ooooh la la...is this yummy!

And finally dear Mitsouko. *I own it in both EDP & the body lotion. *I'd but put it away because of negative comments I received while wearing it. *The heck with them, I say...I'm wearing what I like!

Thank you for all of the suggestions, I'll keep working through the list!

I just purchased Caleche (Hermes) - a floral chypre - and seriously considering Hiris (also Hermes). Another I like but haven't yet purchased is Sake (Fresh). These are all widely available on the Intarweb for reasonable prices.

Calypso Mimosa or Child. Child is a real man magnet and no vanilla.

Blog Entries

I second the "No more vanilla" sentiment. I began to realize it is way too prominent almost anytime it is used. I do like tonka bean though, sometimes. I believe that is a spicy/woodsy version of vanilla. Much earthier.
    My search for non -vanilla so far has turned up (some have already been mentioned, I will second those)
    Violette Verte by L'Artisan, Hermes Une Jardin Sur le Nil, DK Wenge is a great break from florals,
    Hermessence: Poivre Samarcand is like spicy warm skin, Dolce & Gabbana: Light Blue, Givenchy: Fleurs Des L'Interdit is a great fruity floral, Chanel Cuir De Russie, EL White Linen (most EL), Frapin 1270 is spicy fruity,almost as good as Wenge but lighter and sweeter and much less woody.

I like vanilla... But there are fragances without vanilla that I like. Here is one:

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker.

It´s not a sweet scent, probably because there is no vanilla in it. It is a fresh, elegant scent.

Top notes: fresh mandarin, bergamot, radiant rosewood, lush lavendel, crisp apple martini.
    Middle notes: blossom with exotic patchouli, perfume of paper whites and creamy orchid.
    Bottom notes: sensuous cedar, white amber, sultry musk and woods.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Keiko Mecheri Myrrh & Merveilles is warm and uplifting but no vanilla or fruit.

Bandit

hi you said you don't want tuberose but what about other flowers? there are heaps of beautiful florals that don't have tuberose. what smelle do you really love? ie flowers, spices, green smells etc

hi you said you don't want tuberose but what about other flowers? there are heaps of beautiful florals that don't have tuberose. what smell do you really love? ie flowers, spices, green smells etc

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for your continued suggestions. I love iris perfumes & own a few classics. I also enjoy jasmine ( the grandifloral) not night blooming jasmine, which really isn't jasmine. Neroli is wonderful. Rose blends are "hard" for me to wear but FM"s Une Rose is wonderful. Don't much care for the smell of lavender, although I have great respect for it used in aromatherapy.

I did like Bandit, as Concord suggested and SJP's Lovely is on my "To try" list. Caleche sounds intereteresting but Child was way too sweet for me. KM is a whole new line for me to try & the MM sounds really great. Thanks Tovah!

Update on Jack Black: I had a reaction to the perfume, red welts.

Please keep us posted on what you are discovering in your journey for a fab non-vanilla scent!

Here are a few of my recommendations:

Gucci Envy Me
    L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake
    Tiffany
    Sheer Tiffany
    Pure Tiffany
    Vera Wang

Hmmm ...

-- Tabac Blond (leather, leather, and more leather)
    -- Coriandre (green, mossy; I've not yet smelled the current version)
    -- Bellodgia (carnations)
    -- Ginger Essence (Origins) (ginger and citrus)
    -- Le Jardin sur le Nil (green mango, frankincense)
    -- Feminite du Bois (a cedar masterpiece)

I'm with you on the Vanilla thing. My customers are always calling for more vanilla, more vanilla...and I really am rather apathetic towards it. I've come up with a sort of smoky, caramelized version of the Bean and the Orchid together that seems to appease them while avoiding anything buttercream like, but still, the vanilla is one that I never find myself "purchasing" from the shelf to take into the shower with me.

How about musks? Do you like rich things, such as smoke and leather and such? Earth? Crushed leaves?
    ~Melanie Teegarden, Owner
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchly
    Hmmm ...

-- Tabac Blond (leather, leather, and more leather)
    -- Coriandre (green, mossy; I've not yet smelled the current version)
    -- Bellodgia (carnations)
    -- Ginger Essence (Origins) (ginger and citrus)
    -- Le Jardin sur le Nil (green mango, frankincense)
    -- Feminite du Bois (a cedar masterpiece)
    Thanks for the suggestions, Twitchly!
    Tabac Blond - love it, need more than my wee sample
    Coriandre - wore it many years ago, havent smelled the latest incarnation. Need to revisit.
    Bellogia - some carnations give me a migraine, however the carnation note in L'Huere Bleue does not.
    Ginger Essence - Love it, own it!
    Le Jardin sur le Nil - love it but it did not last on me
    Feminite du Bois - sounds wonderful but am having a hard time finding it. Is it discontinued?

Oh & AlthaeaSoaps....I LOVE leather in my scent, especially in the colder months. Smoke, not so much. Earth is good, as are crushed leaves. I don't like the smell of lavender in my frags but I use it in aromatherapy treatments.

I've also learned that a tiny bit of vanilla doesn't cause the dread nausea. My beloved L'Huere Bleue & Lolita Lempika both have it. Seems like it's ok, as long as it's in a minor, supporting role & well blended. Anise & waterlilly seem to be common notes in frags I love.

I'm learning so much from everyone. Thank you for being so generous with your time!