Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Storing frags too cold - what happens?

What happens to a frag if it`s been stored too cold, say below the freezing point, will it be ruined?

I had a sample of Mure et Musc Extreme which I loved so much I ordered a bottle from www.ausliebezumduft.de (First-in-fragrance), a company I fully trust. From they sent it til I received it, a month (ca) passed. When spraying from the new bottle today, I found the scent to behave in a strange way. The topnotes were only there for a very short while, and after that I couldn`t really smell ANYTHING. I put on two more sprays, and the same thing happened. A couple of hours later I sniffed my wrist again, and I could barely smell the basenotes. I recognized the notes from my sample, but while the sample had great lasting power, and didn`t seem too change very much, I just was not able too smell the middle notes from my spray bottle! Have to add that I applied quite a huge amount, and that I haven`t got a cold or something... Do you thing the bottle might have been stored too cold on it`s way to me, and that that is why it smells so weak?
    IF that is the explanation; do you think it will "recover"?

Thanks in advance!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Storing frags too cold - what happens?

I don't know. But in all the reading I've done about perfume of late, I've never heard of problems with cold. Only problems with heat. From strictly a chemisry perspective, it seems cold shouldn't be damaging. Deterioration of most things decreases in the cold, and the alcohol content should keep it from actually freezing. Sound reasonable?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Yup! Cold, even if below zero, shouldn't damage alcoholic juices like scents; specially because freezing point of alcohol is far below zero.
    I rather would care about sudden changes of temperature, (inside and outside from storages) from below zero to 25C for example, that can provocate potentially dangerous state transitions letting the scent sublimate with consequent damages.
    Who really knows how's been carried your scent... :

If we are going to engage in science experiments involving Frigidaires and Edts, we'll use your guys' stuff this time. (Turkey was on sale at the Pick'N'Save.)

I have had a UPS delivery sit outside in extreme cold (-1Oº or -23.3333333º Celsius) because the deliveryperson put it near the french doors at the back of my house. Hello! There is no path shovelled and there are no footprints in the snow leading to the door, so why would he or she think to leave the box there? What a dope. If the little waif from across the street hadn't been assisting (hindering) with Veronica's Holiday Lighting and Electrical Cord Untangling Extravaganza, the box would have been reported as missing long ago. Makes me wish the holidays were on the same schedule as the Olympics. Once brought indoors and restored to 'room temperature', everything was as to be expected. It was a restocking shipment so I was very familiar with the contents. Okie dokie, A-OK, hunky dory.

I think I'd rather do my ordering during cold and cool months of the year rather than having summer sun and scorching temperatures wreck havoc.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys!
    I will take good care of my "baby" for a couple of days, and after reading your posts, I`m sure it will be okay again!

(Veronica-posts = ;D ;D ;D)
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    If we are going to engage in science experiments involving Frigidaires and Edts, we'll use your guys' stuff this time. (Turkey was on sale at the Pick'N'Save.)

I have had a UPS delivery sit outside in extreme cold (-1Oº or -23.3333333º Celsius) because the deliveryperson put it near the french doors at the back of my house. Hello! There is no path shovelled and there are no footprints in the snow leading to the door, so why would he or she think to leave the box there? What a dope. If the little waif from across the street hadn't been assisting (hindering) with Veronica's Holiday Lighting and Electrical Cord Untangling Extravaganza, the box would have been reported as missing long ago. Makes me wish the holidays were on the same schedule as the Olympics. Once brought indoors and restored to 'room temperature', everything was as to be expected. It was a restocking shipment so I was very familiar with the contents. Okie dokie, A-OK, hunky dory.

I think I'd rather do my ordering during cold and cool months of the year rather than having summer sun and scorching temperatures wreck havoc.
    you're too funny Veronica...
    However, said that I agree that shipments are safer during cold weather, I meant about repetedly stressing scents with sudden jumps of temperature (in perhaps near a radiator & out). However not experiment it is better, neither with our stuff (I can't imagine taking my L'Anarchiste to boiling point, even if it comes in a copper bottle).
    About the turkey, ok, I like it! So I'll be pleased if you want to invite me for dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    I meant about repetedly stressing scents with sudden jumps of temperature (in perhaps near a radiator & out). However not experiment it is better, neither with our stuff (I can't imagine taking my L'Anarchiste to boiling point, even if it comes in a copper bottle).
    About the turkey, ok, I like it! So I'll be pleased if you want to invite me for dinner!
    I agree about stress due to rapidly fluctuating temperature extremes. Didn't think about heating fragrances as *part of an experiment, though. *

Many of history's greatest discoveries came at great personal sacrifice. I urge you to seriously reconsider boiled L'Anarchiste. I don't know what this would prove but with luck you won't burn your house down.

Tell you what. It's about time the Female Fragrance Discussion Board finalized plans for a Basenotes Slumber Party! I volunteer to bring the turkey and the fire extinguisher. There has got to be a recipe for Turkey Au Vetyver somewhere. As long as you are game for girl talk, a beauty make-over and wear a nightie - you are aces with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    [quote author=Magnifiscent link=1142790080/0#5 date=1142889924]I meant about repetedly stressing scents with sudden jumps of temperature (in perhaps near a radiator & out). However not experiment it is better, neither with our stuff (I can't imagine taking my L'Anarchiste to boiling point, even if it comes in a copper bottle).
    I agree about stress due to rapidly fluctuating temperature extremes. Didn't think about heating fragrances as *part of an experiment, though. *

Many of history's greatest discoveries came at great personal sacrifice. I urge you to seriously reconsider boiled L'Anarchiste. I don't know what this would prove but with luck you won't burn your house down.

Tell you what. It's about time the Female Fragrance Discussion Board finalized plans for a Basenotes Slumber Party! I volunteer to bring the turkey and the fire extinguisher. There has got to be a recipe for Turkey Au Vetyver somewhere. As long as you are game for girl talk, a beauty make-over and wear a nightie - you are aces with me. [/quote]
    I was better thinking of wearing my leather pants and a black linen shirt, taking a bottle of cabernet syrah and aromatic candles for a tète-a-tète... And, above all, not the fire estinguisher!!!