Code of Conduct

Default Cool weather fragrances

It's going into autumn here in the Southern Hemisphere, and so I'm starting to think about "warmer" fragrances (a lot of the ones I have currently are cool florals, having been purchased in the spring or summer). I definitely think Opium will be on my cold weather wearing list in a big way, and also Spiced Green Tea, but I thought I might solicit a few more suggestions.

What fragrances do you wear for cool weather? (Nothing too "sweet", please, as my chemistry turns it very, VERY sweet in a big hurry, ugh). Spicy is good on me, and ambery, incensy stuff can work, depending on the fragrance.

Thanks, I know you folks will give me a wonderful list of suggestions (the people at the perfume counters are probably tired of me coming in with my list of "things to sample", hehe).

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Default Re: Cool weather fragrances

Have you tried Chergui? It's indescribably gorgeous and I think it would work beautifully in cold weather. When it's cold I enjoy Eau des Merveilles, Angelique Encens, Opium, POTL, Noire du Mexique, Ginestet Botrytis, Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum and Gourmandises. It seems that fragrances with amber, vanilla, and spices are cozy and warm my chills.

In the recent cold, rainy weather I've been enjoying and appreciating my new found Carnal Flower and A La Nuit. I think these happy florals help fight the gray weather, too!

here are some recs to test:

kingdom by A.McQueen
    Omnia by Bulgari
    Happy holiday by Clinique (limited ed)
    Happy heart by Clinique (might be a tad sweet)
    mitsouko by guerlain
    dior's dolce vita (happy and warm)
    dior's diorissimo(wow!)
    datura noir by serge lutens
    chanel's coco (yum)
    versace's baby rose jeans
    givenchy's organza (might be too sweet) , amarige d'amour and so givenchy
    Lalique pour femme (2001) (i really like this one)
    herme's caleche ( favorite!)

happy hunting!

Can you believe it's been snowing and sleeting here in the San Francisco Bay Area? *Egads. *I had to dig out my Teinte de Neige again. *I think Levannah and I are the only two on board who absolutely love this one.

My very favorite autumn and winter scents are Ellen Tracy, Aliage, Inoui (which is impossible to find), Coco, Vol de Nuit, Estee, Youth Dew, KM Loukhoum, Narciso Rodriguez, Vol de Nuit, Zoe, Arpege, Ambre Sultan, Angel, Le Baiser du Dragon, Naturistics Botanical, Channel #5, Genny...oh good heavens, I could rattle on and on. *I've recently discovered some of the Annick Goutals, and Eau de Charlotte (or is it du Charlotte?) has me captivated to the point of almost wanting to chew off my own arm.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    Noire du Mexique
    Tovah!!!
    I got a sample called "Vanille Noire de Mexique" from Maison de la Vanille, is this "your" Noir???

Sorry for just suggesting one, but I`d like to recommend Burberry Brit.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I would say any of recent Chanel frags, L'Instant de Guerlain, Angel, Boudoir, Youth Dew, anything cosy.
    Sometimes I find myself craving for florals, when the winter gets on my nerves. I spice it up with some musk then.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Samsara.. warm, sexy, sophisticated

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

As you say you like florals and amber, do sample Stella Rose Absolute. Very rich scent.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Oh yes, Quarry, Absolutely! How could I forget that one :-?
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Worn a lot of incense fragrances this winter- Norma Kamali Incense, Angelique Encens, Messe de Minuit, Shaal Nur, Shalimar.

Others I love in the winter:

Shalimar Eau Legere
    Fracas
    Asja
    Aqaba
    Must de Cartier
    Ambre Sultan
    Chanel No 22
    Pink Sugar
    Opium pour Homme
    Etro- Gomma, Sandalo, Patchoully
    Jil Sander No 4 (layered with NK Incense is intriguing!)
    Coco
    Joy
    Quelques Fleurs (this I wear year 'round though)
    Flowerbomb
    Lolita Lempicka
    Floris Malmaison Carnation
    Chanel No 5
    Bois des Iles
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

My preferred cool weather fragrance is Vol de Nuit. I have worn - well, wear - it almost constantly this winter.

My favorite autumn fragrances:

-- Euphoria (pomegranate!)
    -- Burberry Brit Gold
    -- Brandy (caramel apples; may be too sweet for you)
    -- Shalimar Light
    -- Venezia (LP's version -- sadly discontinued) (tobacco leaves and honey!)
    -- Winter Delice (discontinued but still widely available online) (spices and pine, very crisp)

I've actually been enjoying the sweeter vanillic fragrances this winter, which is new for me, as I never thought I would enjoy them this much. Lancome Hypnose, Armani Mania, Cacherel Amor Amor. I've found these sweet scents quite comforting under a warm sweater.

But enough about me! :-)

Since you're thinking spicy I'll suggest a classic - Dioressence. I revisited it recently and it's now on my wish list. It's been changed somewhat from the old days, but I still love it. It's sort of a chyprish-oriental to my nose, definite cinnamon note in there.

I will second the Dioressence! *I also recommend Parfum Sacre, Coco, Must de Cartier, Mitsouko, Boucheron Femme, and the Comme des Garcon Incense series - Happy hunting!

Tovah!!!
    I got a sample called "Vanille Noire de Mexique" from Maison de la Vanille, is this "your" Noir???

Yes - its La Maison de la Vanille Noire du Mexique. It's rich, gorgeous, sexy, and warm. One of my all-time favorites!

Thanks a lot, Tovah!
    I also loved this one so much I considered buying a bottle, and now I`m sure it is the right one!

Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I like Nu edp by YSL a lot during autumn...And Trouble of course,one of my all time favourites!

Trouble is a great cool-weather frag! I'll add Parfums de Nicolai Vanille-Tonka, Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax, good old Black Cashmere, Must de Cartier, Escada Collection, GUCCI EDP, Armani Code.

They're all kind of brown, aren't they.

Post Re: Cool weather fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    La Maison de la Vanille Noire du Mexique. It's rich, gorgeous, sexy, and warm. One of my all-time favorites!
    Tovah you kindly recommended this one to me a while back. Well I got a sample and it's such a gorgeous scent that I'm ordering a bottle this weekend. I would wear this one any time of year! Thank you.

Other scents I like for winter are:
    Scent - Costume National,
    Noa - Cacharel,
    Dune - Christian Dior,
    Ambre Precieux - Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

Specifically for cool weather nights:
    For Her - Narciso Rodriguez,
    V Absolu - Valentino,

I used to like Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant for winter, sometimes it smelled like Christmas Pudding to my nose!

In the cooler weather I love to wear:-
    Cinnabar
    Feminte du Bois
    Le Baiser du Dragon
    Cinema
    Rive Gauche
    Nuit de Noel
    Epices Noirs (occasionally!)

If you like incense and woods (sandlewood & oud) with absolutely no vanilla or sweetness, you might want to look for a sample of 10 Corso Como. It also has vetiver, rose, geranium and musk notes, but the woods and incense predominate. As many here will tell you, the oud note is highly addictive!

My favorites for cold days are Feminite du Bois, Chergui, Lolita Lempicka, and Flower Oriental. 10 Corso Como is a wonderful scent, a little too masculine on me but if you don't like sweet, it could be your thing.

Black Cashmere, Trouble, Prada, and probably many, many more. Lolita Lempicka at night; BF and loves it and thus I am kept warm.

If you can do cumin, you might like McQueen Kingdom or Rochas Femme. I love both of these in cooler weather, also McQueen MyQueen, although that might be a bit sweet for you.