Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default It's so cold, I feel like a popsicle.  Frag?

We have been having the strangest winter of extremes. Cold, bitterly cold, one day & then in the upper 50's, low 60's the next. Record snowfall on the weekend & the following week is warm enough to go outside without a coat.

The trees are confused & so am I.

What fragrances would you recommend to wear when it's bitterly cold & when it's more "moderate" (but still winter)?

RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Default Re: It's so cold, I feel like a popsicle. *Frag?

For the coldest days, I usually choose a leather or a gourmand.

But at this time of year, I also start getting very eager to get back into my florals. So days when it's warming up, when there's some melt going on, I'll look to chill, greenish florals. Two of my favorites in this category are Jo Malone Wild Muguet and Penhaligon's Bluebell. I'll also recommend Miss Dior, for green and flowers over leather.

Unfortunately, it hasn't even hit 20 for the past few days, so I'll be waiting on those florals a bit longer.

This actual topic came up this weekend as I visited my family in New Hampshire. I was there this past weekend, it snowed and was 2*F one morning. Bitter, arctic cold. But then they get moderate neither-nor weather for long stretches.

We ladies are all scentaholics and traded our theories over dinner Sunday night, what fragrances are weather and mood appropriate for this peculiar winter they were having? *One young woman (my older sister's daughter) does not budge from her signature la Chasse aux Papillon. One of my sisters was veering toward woody oritentals with fruity and/or gourmand top notes such as Angel, Keiko Mecheri and Molinard Nirmala. One suggested that what you had to have with all this up and down discouragement was soothing flowers and a little kick of excitement and confessed she was practiclaly bathing in Lolita Lempicka these days. *My younger sister's close friend said she has arranged for Patou's new Sira des Indes to come as quickly as it is launched in the next week or two. Miss Fruity-foody woody Oriental said Sira des Indes was proof of her theory since it contains banana accords, bergamot, pear, pink berries and cardamom as its top notes, a flowery champaca heart, and base notes including musk, amber, vanilla and sandalwood. *I was wearing SL Daim Blond and I think that is perfect -- soft warm, enveloping suede, subtle floral notes and a luscious apricot top note. I also said that in this extreme cold, I was responding to my beloved tangy Montale Aouds by softening them a bit, layering them with rich, non-tart rose solliflores -- an inspiration from reading basenotes. Another of the younger set said she was deciding to defy this all by taking a tropical break; she is wearing Monyette's coquette which is tropical and beachy.

Default Re: It's so cold, I feel like a popsicle.  Fr

Obsession or Must de Cartier - warm and strong.

I recommend Hermes "Rouge." It's woodsy, warm, sexy & generally, to me, anyway, a comforting fragrance. It reminds me of being curled up in front of the fire underneath a soft cashmere blanket. It's a fragrance that bespeaks luxury.

I recommend CSP Matin Calin TO THE ENTIRE WORLD! HA! ha! ha! ha! MWAH HA! HA! HA! *ahem*
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I would like to recommend Burberry Brit (as I always do, when I get the opportunity, since it`s one of my favs!) For me this is a late fall/late winter fragrance, yummy and comfy, always puts me in a good mood.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift
    This actual topic came up this weekend as I visited my family in New Hampshire. I was there this past weekend, it snowed and was 2*F one morning. Bitter, arctic cold. But then they get moderate neither-nor weather for long stretches.

We ladies are all scentaholics
    There are other perfume hounds in New Hampshire? Not just me? *sob* alone no longer!

When I'm cold I love Eau des Merveilles. To me, it smells like a warm summer night in the desert. Keiko Mecheri Passiflore is a great fragrance to induce a feel of the tropics.

Annick Goutal Sables or Claudie Pierlot Mon Premier
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

Jil Sander No 4- is beautiful for that in-between weather. Strong and bold enough to hold its own in freezing temps yet romantically tender enough for more mild days. Usually I think of it as a winter perfume, but I do on ocassion wear it in the hot/humid days of summer. It can be especially beautiful on a rainy day when the florals get humid and take an almost tropical turn.

I've been wild for Shaal Nur and Messe de Minuit lately too- loving the incense aspect. Also Aqaba as the spicy quality I love in it seems to last most of the day on me, even when it's cold. I would also say Shalimar- but I tend to wear that one year-round so to me it's good in any weather.

Do I dare mention Fracas? If you like it at all, the parfum is particularly good and wears well from winter to warmer weather. Another year-rounder for me that, at least on my skin, goes gracefully from frigid to milder temps.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Fracas is one of my VERY few year-rounders, also. It's always out, works in every kind of climate and weather.

Delices de Cariter! others: Hermès Osmanthe Yunnan, olivier strelli, diamant by fragonard, kenzo flower oriental, lalique Le Parfum, i second Eau de Merveilles , but go for parfum de Merveilles since i still think the regular one might be a bit too fresh.

When it's really cold outside I wear Chanel Allure, for the everlasting cosy but elegant wrap that it gives.
    Or Creed Royal Delight - it has got most of my top notes like Mandarin, Jasmin, Bergamot, Leather and Vanilla, and it makes me think I'm outside in the cold ON PURPOSE

Recently, with first signs of spring like rain+snow, wind and moderate temperatures ;D
    I find my comfort in Keiko Mecheri Hanae
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

I'm a fan of the following on cold days:

-- AA Winter Delice
    -- Venezia (LB)
    -- Euphoria
    -- Shalimar Light

Moderate (warm, cold, in-between) days:

-- Anne Pliska
    -- Mitsouko
    -- Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis

I find that Simply by Clinique has one foot in the winter and another already in spring. It might not be the most chic fragrance but I like it very much. The melon-like topnotes are fresh, yet the soymilk note is warm and cozy.

On snowy, cold days I live to wear Feminite du Bois (sorry no accents)
    as it is so warm, plummy and spicy. Also, on a softer note, I find Heliotrope Blanc
    (Piver) is a nuzzly, comforting, subtle alternative. I love this website and am
    becoming addicted to it after only a few weeks.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

After a few delightfully warm days, we are back to popsicle status. *:'(

Spring you are SUCH a tease! *

And the forcast is for snow, snow, mind you..... this Friday.

I'm back to wearing my Nuit de Noel.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme