Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Need Help Urgently!!

Hi y'all,

A client has asked for a replacement for Ritz by Charles of the Ritz (1972). I have unfortunately never smelt it so have no frame of reference to even begin suggesting but I know you learned people / noses will be able to save the day!! *fingers crossed*

It is described as:

Charles of the Ritz is a bouquet of floral essences kissed with fresh fruits and underscored with ambery Oriental base notes of vanilla, musk, and woods.
    The floral Oriental fragrance was created by the cosmetic company of the same name founded by Charles Jundt in 1919. He opened the doors to his salon in New York's Ritz-Carlton Hotel and took the name Charles of the Ritz.
    A fragrance fit for an evening at the Ritz.

All well and good but what does it 'smell' like??

Thanks in advance
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: Need Help Urgently!!

MoonDeva:

There is a site called Scent Direct & they have the genealogy as well as smell-alikes listed for Charles Of The Ritz:

http://www.scentdirect.com

Go there & do search for Charles Of The Ritz. To the right of the screen you will find "More That Smell Like..." and then there is a Genealogy section which describes the Top, Middle & Base Notes of the fragrance.
    I refer to this often when looking for duplicates of retired fragrances.

Also, any of the Michael Edwards books might help you.

Okay, the Michael Edwards site suggests for Charles Of The Ritz smell-alikes:

Silver Sensuality by La Prairie (2005)

Tabu Gold by Dana (2005)

Valentino V by Valentino

I once owned a bottle of Charles Of The Ritz in the 70's. It was a splash. All I can remember about it was that it was crisp smelling & that I did finish the entire bottle. Lauren Hutton did the print ads for that fragrance. I don't recall what year it was discontinued in the stores, but I do remember Montgomery Ward having this huge sell-out of the entire line before they closed their doors.
    I'm sure you can still find an ancient bottle floating around on ebay somewhere.

Okay, 1stperfume.com carries it. Very expensive, though.
    At least 45 entries for it on Ebay.

Apparently, the one in the ye olde version in the burgundy can is the one the ladies are seeking out.

wow, i just want to thank you for linking that website, i have never seen it before and it is awesome ;D

Blog Entries

(((Ritamae))) Thank you for replying to my thread!!

I had checked scentdirect before posting but the one listed there is a latter perfume called Charles of the Ritz. Charles of the Ritz (1978) is different to Ritz (1972) :-? but you are right that the purple & silver packaging is the one she is seeking.

A lovely MUA lady described it as " soft powdery,spicey, i must of liked it during my youth dew stage..not as heavy though...heavier than cashmire mist it reminds me of this in some way."

I have Youth Dew (carnation & rose) but have never tried Cashmere Mist so am unsure as to how that affects things.

From all that I have heard and seen tonight my hunch is that Bal a Versailles is going to be the perfect solution though Cinnabar may work for those wanting more spice.

Thank you SO much Ritamae for your generosity and help - I feel blessed. ((( :-* )))

PS. I just checked Charles of the Ritz on my (very limited out of date) version of Michael Edwards and he recommends Bal a Versailles, Boucheron & L'Heure Bleue as alternatives (similar but different) brilliant! I am definitely on the right track!

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Ladylonestar

I went through many, many *cans* of Ritz in the 70s. I have Bal a Versailles, Boucheron, Cinnabar, L'Heure Bleue, Cashmere Mist, and not one of them triggers an olfactory memory of Ritz. Not even a tiny bit. Cashmere Mist would be the closest but only briefly on opening, and still it has too much sweetness, IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    I went through many, many *cans* of Ritz in the 70s. *I have Bal a Versailles, Boucheron, Cinnabar, L'Heure Bleue, Cashmere Mist, and not one of them triggers an olfactory memory of Ritz. *Not even a tiny bit. *Cashmere Mist would be the closest but only briefly on opening, and still it has too much sweetness, IMO.
    aaarrrrrgggghhhhhh! : *Back to the drawing board (though i reserve the right to recall any of the rejected candidates at a later time) *:P

Ok, lady - how about Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt or Dana Raffinee?? Or Passage D'Enfer, Lady Caron or Cabaret??

Are there any perfumes that 'do' trigger a similar memory for you??

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Ok, lady - how about Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt or Dana Raffinee?? Or Passage D'Enfer, Lady Caron or Cabaret??
    No to Vanderbilt and no to Raffinee, and a big hell no to Passage d'Enfer, which doesn't come even remotely close. *I haven't tried Lady Caron or Cabaret.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Are there any perfumes that 'do' trigger a similar memory for you??
    I wish, but no such luck, Moondeva. *There may be something out there, but I haven't found it yet. *Ritz was quite unique. *In all the years since it disappeared, I have never smelled anything and said, "OMG! *This reminds me of Ritz!" *If anyone knows of anything, I'd love to hear about it, too. *[smiley=cry.gif]

Blog Entries

Let's start from scratch.

Thank you for your imput LadyLonestar it is proving invaluable. *

OK - Would you describe it as floral, musk, or oriental? maybe something completely different?

What were the main characteristics: woody, incensy, gourmand, spicy, musky, etc?

what dominated the perfume at any points? What were the florals like (heavy, light / rose, tuberose? the fruity (citrus autumn fruits (peaches, plums), berries or water (melon, cucumber) ? the base (woods or vanilla or musk or a mix of all three)?

Please can you describe to me what it smelt like to you? There are no reviews in P'ville at the moment. Do you still have some available by any chance?

Do you remember the scent pyramid at all. could you give a rough break down of what the notes were and how they smelt during the different stages: top, heart, base?

Thank you again for your help!.

Blog Entries

June 5, 1972
    Perfumes As Fresh As an Early Morn
    by Angela Taylor
    New York Times

Short article in which the author signals a new trend in perfumery towards lighter perfumes and "early morning brews". Estée Lauder's Alliage and Nina Ricci's Bigarade are examples of these new "sportswear" scents. However, not all companies get involved in the new fad: Charles of the Ritz is "capitalizing on the nostalgia for the twenties and thirties when the word ritzy was even better than today's cool and groovy". The fragrance evoques the taste of champagne at midnight rather than morning grapefruit; thus the author concludes: "but then everyone isn't a sports fan."
    This titbit makes me consider:

Any old fashioned, sorry, VINTAGE classic Aldehydic Floral with romantic white florals & a strong woody sandalwood dry down

My Sin
    Bois des Iles
    Liu
    Normandie
    Nuit de Noel
    Royal Bain de Champagne

What do you think? Any closer?