Code of Conduct

Default I'm going to need some help on this

Hello-

Well, I've decided that I ought to buy my girlfriend some perfume. Of course, once I decided that, I realized that I don't know the next thing about women's frags. I've never smelled a feminine perfume that really caught my attention. It might have a lot to do with where I live (midwest) and that many women either don't wear any perfume or else wear far too much.
    In any case, I'm lost. This is a touchy subject for me, because I would hate to give her something that she doesn't like but feels obligated to wear for my sake.

She is 24. From what I can see on her shelves, she wears Happy for women, some sunflower stuff (maybe estee lauder? i'm not sure), um..., and that's all I can think of right now. To tell you the truth, I don't really like sunflowers or Happy, so this purchase is a little bit for my benefit.

She always likes what I'm wearing: Issey Miyake, Reaction by K.C., Happy for men.

Should I get something that almost everyone likes (Dolce & Gabbana, etc), or should I take a risk and buy something that she might really love?

I ordered a few testers, but they haven't arrived yet.

Wow, I guess I didn't know how lost I was until now. I'd appreciate any advice, anything at all!

Thanks-
    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Default Re: I'm going to need some help on this

You should probably do a bit of probing, some strategic questions that reveal why she likes the frags that she does. If you want to get her something she'll love then you need to have an understanding of what she likes otherwise you'll really be risking a biff. I know that if my Husband bought me something I didn't like I wouldn't wear it for his sake, but then again marriage is a bit different ;D

Good point about asking. I have asked in the past, but if i remember correctly she just said that she liked because they smelled good (not very helpful). I do know from listening to her that she really likes her sunflower perfume; she was excited the day she bought it.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

How much are you planning to spend?

UPDATE!

Ok, I just did some probing via telephone, and I found some good information:

-She doesn't like vanilla
    -Her fav perfumes that she owns are Curve (for women), and Sunflowers (Elizabeth Arden)
    -When we last went shopping, she said that she really like Swiss Army (men's), and Paris Hilton (men's)
    -She really likes honeysuckle
    -She said that rose and lilac are usually too strong
    -She likes my colognes because they are mellow and inviting

Whew! I think that's all I gleaned from that conversation.
    As for money... I just bought myself a Creed and a Bulgari and a few other things, so to be fair to her I'd be willing to spend a commensurate amount on her. On the other hand, I live in a medium-sized city, so anything beyond the main-main-mainstream I will have to order online.

I hope this makes suggestions easier!
    and thank you
    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    -She doesn't like vanilla
    -Her fav perfumes that she owns are Curve (for women), and Sunflowers (Elizabeth Arden)
    -When we last went shopping, she said that she really like Swiss Army (men's), and Paris Hilton (men's)
    -She really likes honeysuckle
    -She said that rose and lilac are usually too strong
    -She likes my colognes because they are mellow and inviting
    Honeysuckle and no vanilla? Try Estee Lauder "Beyond Paradise". It's got a fabulous honeysuckle note that goes right through the development. I wear it when I'm in the mood for that particular flower, and it's one of the few I've found that really does honeysuckle well (or at all).

I like Sunflowers, and I'm not a big fan of vanilla (I don't mind it in some concoctions, but it's not my favorite by any means), and I love soft florals, and I love Beyond Paradise. Since my taste sounds reasonably similar to hers, I think it's a good bet to try.

AND it's got a funky/weird/cool bottle (some people find the bottle ridiculous, some find it gorgeous, I find it amusing to hear what other people's reaction to it is, heheh).

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Bonni-
    Heh. That is a neat bottle. Does it balance on the base somehow?
    I cannot tell how big the bottles are from the pictures. If I decide to go with this one, should i get the 1.7 oz? I don't want to get her a jug o' perfume, but I don't want to look cheap.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Heh. That is a neat bottle. Does it balance on the base somehow?
    It's flat on the bottom.

I cannot tell how big the bottles are from the pictures. If I decide to go with this one, should i get the 1.7 oz? I don't want to get her a jug o' perfume, but I don't want to look cheap.
    I'd go for 1.7 oz (50ml) at first. It's the "medium size" in standard perfume sizes, pretty much. Big enough to be generous, not so big as to be a problem if it turns out she doesn't like it (but I'm betting she WILL like it, if it's Beyond Paradise ).

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Blog Entries

She may also like / enjoy:

Ivoire de Balmian - soft, fresh, woody white floral, lovely in spring

Kenzo Parfum D'Ete - great bottle!

L'Eau D'Issey (f) - then you can match awww!

Prescriptives Calyx - never tried but it is in the same ball park.

For something feminine and slightly softer / less green she could try:

Christian Dior Tendre Poison - needs a light hand, strong at first but then has the most amazing drydown which just keeps getting better and better and the sillage is amazing.

Gres Cabotine - similar to above but less intense or 'in yer face', but same freesia dominated, feminine sexy drydown & sillage.

Calvin Klein Escape (f) - marine fruity floral.

Hope these help. Maybe you could test a few and buy her one you think you will both like but also have a 'date' where you both go to the mall to test a few together and find one together?!

Good way to draw her irresistibly into 'our' world... teeheehee! ;D
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Those are some good suggestions, moondeva.

There are almost too many choices... It's frustrating to go to my mall looking for scents. The other day it went like this:
    do you have an issey miyake?
    no
    Kenzo?
    no
    Creed?
    no
    gendarme?
    no
    Dolce & Gabbana?
    no
    M7?
    no
    Guerlain?
    no
    Argh!

I'm afraid of going over to the women's counter, where I will be inspected from a high stool by a matronly old SA who looks disapprovingly upon my choices and who smells like a rose's armpit.
    There is a reason that I've never shopped for women's fragrances before now.

All joking aside, I really don't understand the layout of the women's frag aisle. there's makeup, and then some face liquids and then loofa and then perfume but then there are special purses and more loofah and then the men's counter and then more clear orange soaps and then more makeup and then perfume and then some perfume that's locked up and then some more makeup, and the whole thing is lit up by kleige lights like stage...

well, I will see if i can order samples of these perfumes. the reviews make them all sound delicious

Thanks for the help
    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Sorry to overwhelm - but I must add Cynthia Rowley and Marc Jacobs Blush. *Cynthia Rowley is predominantly honeysuckle and Blush is a jasmine fragrance, and neither have any vanilla (that I can smell).

I double the Kenzo Parfum d'Ete suggestion- it's one of the best summer scents I know.

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger is a fresh, clean scent, good for everyday. Both scents have honeysuckle and NO vanilla.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.