Code of Conduct

Default Describe Musc Ravageur?

Would someone please describe Musc Ravageur to me? With all my newly found floral bravery I'd like to start trying another type of fragrance I have no experience with: Musks. I wore Bonne Bell Skin Musk back in high school (a looooooooooong time ago) and I currently own Narciso Rodriguez For Her, but from what I hear about Musc Ravageur and others, I'm missing out on some beautiful fragrances. I want to buy a decant of MR on Ebay but only if there's a chance I'd like it. I like unisex fragrances, but I do not like fragrances that smell like specific men's cologne: for example, if a fragrance smells likeJ ohn Varvatos, Hugo, Drakkar Noir, or Kouros, etc. I won't like to wear it.

I know it's hard, and subjective, but what fragrance is similar to Musc Ravageur?

Thank you very much.

Default Re: Describe Musc Ravageur?

Musc Ravageur is Shalimar without lemon topnotes.

Ebay - here I come! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    I wore Bonne Bell Skin Musk back in high school (a looooooooooong time ago)
    Oooh, me too! That's a kind of atypical musk, for what it's worth. It's quite light and I'm sure it's got a good dose of citrus in there to soften and moderate the musk scent.

No help on anything else (other than suggesting that you might want to look into Kiehl's Original Musk, which is a really nice, well-made musk with a sort of sweet, creaminess to it, very appealing).

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Don't quite agree with this.

I find the rosewood in the top note and the floral, herbaceous mid notes (lavender, heliotrope, orris, patchouli, vetiver) along with the distinctive powdery soft resinous dry down (opoponax, benzoin, Peru balsam, leather) makes Shalimar a good deal more complex than the linear amber vanillic drydown of Musc Ravageur. It has an added sweet 'fougere' nuance which is absent in the later.

Musc Ravageur is not a million miles away from Must de Cartier parfum and / or Calvin Klein Obsession parfum. It is a bit less 'bronze' amber than these but has the same almost gourmand, musky, vanilla-amber character. If you like Must de Cartier you will almost definitely enjoy Musc Ravageur. I must stress that Musc Ravageur is a bit less 'civilised' (read 'common / tacky') and much sweeter / vanillic, compared to Must but they are in the same ball park - especially the Must de Cartier parfum.

You really should try it!

I do hope this helps!

NB: For Shalimar 'alternatives' I would recommend :

Coty Emeraude (vintage) = a softer, less complex and very similar perfume. Less lemon & lavender.

Moschino Classic = Love child of Shalimar and Must de Cartier. Structure and development (sharp citrus over vanilla musk) of Shalimar, musky rose dominated amber vanilla dry down of Must de Cartier.

Last edited by moondeva; 16th April 2007 at 03:51 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric

What?! :-? I must disagree, although I admit they have something in common...but not much IMO.

MR is very smooth vanilla-musk with shades of cinnamon. It has this strange, quite animalic charachter on me - especially at the start. I could swear civet is one hidden ingridient of this scent. (I guess I have to call Marcel and ask )

MR is actually very potent scent with good lasting power. It can be cloying if used too much. To me MR is more on the feminine side, definitely.

I think Shalimar is way more warmer scent, much more thicker and woody (insence).

kind of musky and ravaging with subtle french influences
    sorry, been drinkin' cough syrup and feelin' kind of :P

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    sorry, been drinkin' cough syrup
    Ah, the top notes of Chopard Wish... ;D

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Red face Re: Describe Musc Ravageur?

I was very excited to try this and very disappointed. I love FM Noir Epices, and I think MR smells like a mixture of NE and old man shave cream. I do not get any sense of musk from it at all.

I can't describe its notes or compare it to anything else. I can say it's close to if not my Holy Grail. It comforts and relaxes me. It is almost divine....

I spray 8-10 spritzes and it lasts 24 hours......

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I am very new to all of this and wouldn't know a "musk" if it came up and bit me on the ankle, but I did somehow end up with a sample of this.

The first time I put it on it seemed almost medicinal. . .and I decided right there--no way. Then I kept reading all these rave reviews and a couple of days ago i thought I'd give it one more try. I don't know what the top note is that reads "Medicine cabinet" to me but it hits me every time at first. But after 30 minutes or so that completely goes away and it gets this sweet woody yummy smell. I have to say that even as it fades (slowly it seems to last a long time) it gets better. A few hours after wearing it, MR almost remindes me of Chergui but maybe (okay, someone will shoot me for this) better. Chergui seems to hit a hard-vanilla sweetness on me after several hours that sometimes smells a little like those flavored rubber dog toys (that's what I smell when I'm in a grumpy mood while wearing Chergui) but the vanilla in MR seems maybe softer.

I'm going to try it out a few more days, but I might need a bottle. Seems like several scents that I at first dismiss end up being ones I really NEED (SL Fleurs de Citronnier is one--I didn't like at first and now need to have for the summer).

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    MR is very smooth vanilla-musk with shades of cinnamon. It has this strange, quite animalic charachter on me - especially at the start. I could swear civet is one hidden ingridient of this scent. (I guess I have to call Marcel and ask )

MR is actually very potent scent with good lasting power. It can be cloying if used too much.
    Musc Ravageur is one drop-dead sexy fragrance on a man or a woman. It's a finely crafted piece of art. PM's description above is consistent with my perception of its note pyramid. I smell orange/tangerine/bergamot on the top and cinnamon with a hint of clove in the middle. The drydown is a warm, sexy, vanilla/musk skin scent with a touch of cinnamon lingering for awhile.

I love oriental fragrances and this one is my favorite. I never thought I'd like a musk fragrance as much as I like this one. I'm about halwfay through a decant and I'll be purchasing a full bottle on my upcoming trip to NYC.
    Last edited by Sloan; 12th April 2007 at 02:01 AM.

It's a warm, spicy, long-lasting perfume. I did not like musks at all before I tried this. Give it a few tries before making your mind up. It wasn't instant love for me but, after a few test days I knew I had to own it.

I love Musc Ravageur! from topnotes to drydown. I love the masculine first topnotes, cool bergamot/orange/cinnamon/lavender that rapidly evolve into a vanillic spicy amber musk, a beautiful 'nougatine' note (malt?)
    to me MR is sex, it 's not sexy but sexual! I find its drydown too powdery and sweet for men, to me MR is more a womens perfume.
    Musc Ravageur is generally considered a modern/contemporary Shalimar, there 's some truth in this.
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 13th April 2007 at 05:15 AM.
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

I understand the comparison with Shalimar,but on me it smells a lot more of citrus and lavender in the topnotes.This gives a little sharp/herbal first impression.However after the scent settles it warms up to something warm and chocolatey One of the most realistic chocolate notes I've ever smelled!...Don't smell much musk though...

Not too surprisingly, after only one try, I don't have much of a memory of how this smelled, but it left an indelible impression of how it felt. It melted into my skin and gave the strongest impression of suddenly having a short velvety coat of dark fur.Like a panther!

Quote Originally Posted by pierre obsidienne View Post
    I love Musc Ravageur! from topnotes to drydown. I love the masculine first topnotes, cool bergamot/orange/cinnamon/lavender that rapidly evolve into a vanillic spicy amber musk, a beautiful 'nougatine' note (malt?)
    to me MR is sex, it 's not sexy but sexual! I find its drydown too powdery and sweet for men, to me MR is more a womens perfume.
    Musc Ravageur is generally considered a modern/contemporary Shalimar, there 's some truth in this.
    I will have to try Shalimar. Your description is great!

I ADORE Musc Ravageur. As you spray it on, the initial blast is very intriguing and almost icy (bergamot, orange, cinnamon, lavender), but as you smell it further, the cinnamon really roars to life and creates a shimmering warm base for the vanilla and musk to bloom and fully open. As the scent progresses, the vanilla and musk come to the forefront... and while the individual notes shimmer on their own, as the perfume continues to heat on your skin, they resonate together and rise into an unbelievably sexy crescendo of synergistic passion and heat. The drydown is spectacular on women, and I think that the drydown would be just as sexy on a man. As it dries down from the initial rush of application, it mellows and becomes a comforting skin scent. Highly, highly recommended.

I feel really strongly about MR. It's one of my favorites.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post

I ADORE Musc Ravageur. As you spray it on, the initial blast is very intriguing and almost icy (bergamot, orange, cinnamon, lavender), but as you smell it further, the cinnamon really roars to life and creates a shimmering warm base for the vanilla and musk to bloom and fully open. As the scent progresses, the vanilla and musk come to the forefront... and while the individual notes shimmer on their own, as the perfume continues to heat on your skin, they resonate together and rise into an unbelievably sexy crescendo of synergistic passion and heat. The drydown is spectacular on women, and I think that the drydown would be just as sexy on a man. As it dries down from the initial rush of application, it mellows and becomes a comforting skin scent. Highly, highly recommended.

This is an EXCELLENT description!!! And I'm very glad you shared this scent with me!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post

I couldn't agree more. I'm on record here as saying I don't get the sex kick from MR, but tonight I certainly do. But above all I get that great sensual and comforting warmth like no other fragrance, not even my beloved Carons. I'm almost overwhelmed by its beauty, and I feel more moved by it tonight than ever before.

Um, I thought it smelled like something Magnum would have worn. Very 70s hairy chest and gold medalion aftershave.
    But I'm a newbie and have a very limited smell education.
    I really wanted to like this as I loved the description and the reviews but in the end I gave my sample away to a male friend with a caution not to wear it to work (he's a very handsome school teacher) or to spray on more than a tiny bit - it's long-lasting stuff!
    Last edited by Wordbird; 17th April 2007 at 09:30 PM.

Sorry to a nay-sayer but I guess it is useful to hear all shades of opinion.

Personally, I didn't really like it. First, I am pretty sure this has no musc (real or synthetic) but ends in a "musc-like" accord which has been put together from other notes. If I recall, my main perception from this "musc" base was a kind of nutty, vanilic construction with some other textured notes (santal?) which behaves like a musc impression. Above this sits a spicy accord with a little lavender. The spice dominates this (wrong way around to my mind, I prefer the lavender to dominate and the spice to accompany, but maybe that would drive it into the masculine direction?).

The tenacity is frightening, which is good if you like it................
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 18th April 2007 at 09:38 AM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

The nutty vanilic construction you describe come through strongly for me, too, and make this a gourmand fragrance to my nose. Its great warmth, the characteristic which creates the comforting aura, really distinguishes this from most other fragrances. It softens beatifully almost from the start. My nose is not sophisticated enough to pick out the santal, and I barely detect the lavendar, but the spices used certainly accord brilliantly for me. I detect the cinnamon and bergamot, even detect chocolate in there somewhere, and the topnotes are amongst the best I know in any perfume. I wish they'd linger a little longer before the softening begins (my skin softens most perfumes rapidly). The overall effect of MR, as with Feminite du Bois, produces an almost spiritual wellbeing in me that is extraordinary. Twelve months ago I never thought I'd be speaking of a perfume in these terms.
    Last edited by Sestra; 18th April 2007 at 11:52 AM.

I just got got me some Musc Ravageur, and though I can understand the comparison to Shalimar I feel that it's much closer to Jicky (parfum/edp). It takes the yummiest part of the Jicky drydown and amplifies it. I love this stuff!

Peoples' perception of MR will vary depending on whether you are anosmic to all or some of the musks used. To some it will smell musky in a very masuline way, to others, simply like a cuddly gourmand vanilla and cinammon scent. There is also quite a 'loud' woody amber (no relation to amber) which, surprisingly, a lot of folks are also anosmic to. It has to be remembered that there are no florals at all in MR. There may be a perception of lavender but there is none. I adore it but still have to be in the right mood to wear it.

It smells like cinnamon buns and a faintly rubbery musk note, to my nose, but not as weird and complex as that sounds. I enjoy it when I wear it, but it doesn't "move" me.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I just got got me some Musc Ravageur, and though I can understand the comparison to Shalimar I feel that it's much closer to Jicky (parfum/edp). It takes the yummiest part of the Jicky drydown and amplifies it. I love this stuff!
    I wholeheartedly agree! I find it close to Jicky parfum, though with less civet and more vanilla albiet without lavender. And lately I've been loving this stuff too!

I'm not anosmic, but this one smells like white sandalwood, a touch of vanilla and musk on me. The musk lasts no more than a few minutes, then I get something woody and within an hour it is gone altogether. I always wonder what the fuss is about. lol My skin just devours it, I guess.

$345 for 100ml at Mecca Cosmetica, uhhh any discounters stock MR?

I have never seen FMs discounted. Sometimes there are 15ml bottles for sale on e-bay at ~ $50
    Evenstar