Code of Conduct

Default most popular musk scent

we have recently had jasmin, no more vanilla, orientals and even the one!...

What about musk?! *:
    Give me your best loved musk,your muskiest musky musk, your crystal and whiteness etc etc etc of musk ;D ;D ;D
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Default Re: most popular musk scent

I don't like musk scents, and musk can take over and overbalance any perfume. There's one exception, the best of musks, Musc Ravageur. I don't know why I like this one, but I do. But only in the eensiest drop. A quibble I have with the Malle bottles is that they deliver too much scent.

Blog Entries

I have only just begun to truly appreciate the beauty that is 'Musc'. Now before I go further i would like to point out FYI that I prefer strong chypre animalistic scents as my skin tends to need those heavy duty woods, mosses and animal notes (including leather) to actually appreciate a scent and let it hang around some. : I also prefer the heavier, more 'perfumey' perfumes of yester year. That clear? Good - let us continue.

My favourite musk (at the moment) is TBS Mostly Musk. I can see why they discontinued it as it is one of the sexiest, warmest, woodiest, animalistic yet clean musk out there! And we all know The Body Shop doesn't 'do' dirrrrrty! :P I have been seriously searching for a replacement / alternative but so far nothing comes close. * :'(

* It should be noted that I haven't actually tried Serge Luten's Muscs Koublai Khan yet so the above may be subject to change once I get to try this legendary stuff!! ;D

I do also have a 5ml sample of FM Musc Ravageur which is very sexy on but is similar to Must de Cartier in that it is a musk 'blend' perfume with dominant florals and orange blossom / mandarin. Nice when in the mood but too 'too' if you are not in the mood for a complex demanding scent. I must admit the parfum version of Must de Cartier is much more animalistic and musky in my opinion but still an occasional scent (best kept for winter) then all year round.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Hi, Definitely my all time favourite Musk fragrance is Must de Cartier. Sooo animal! I will admit for cooler climates. We are in the last throws of a hideous hot and humid summer Down Under. Hurry up Autumn.

I LOVE Narcisco Rodriguez For Her which is mostly Egyptian musk. I can't believe how much I love it. My husband actually compliments this one as well. It's a dreamy, warm, sensual musk. Mmmmm....Have I mentioned that I LOVE it?

I'll give honorable mention to Helmut Lang, the edp. Very pleasant, quite potent.

I tend to favor the clean musks. I love FSBT Breathe and Body Time's Egyptian Musk. I have both in the oils and find them similar to each other. They are very fresh-from-the-shower and airy scents on the sweet side. Jovan White Musk is also clean, but more floral and powdery (I have the cologne spray).

But I also love Coty Wild Musk oil which is warmer and more sensual. And of course, there's Lovely that has musk mixed with a little patchouli. I'm amazed I like it since I've had trouble with patchouli in the past, but it's quite an easy wear for me.

I've been having a problem with Skin Musk oil lately. It has some green notes I believe, but it smells a bit funky on me. [smiley=sad.gif]

It was already so late yasterday when I posted this, si I never got to give my own opinion to the subject...

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    My favourite musk (at the moment) is TBS Mostly Musk. I can see why they discontinued it as it is one of the sexiest, warmest, woodiest, animalistic yet clean musk out there! And we all know The Body Shop doesn't 'do' dirrrrrty! *:P I have been seriously searching for a replacement / alternative but so far nothing comes close.
    I've never tried this one, for I've never seen it. I quite like TBS White Musk, but would never call it dirty ;D
    actually to me it's rather the opposite. Moondiva, how about Japanese Musk? Have you tried it?

I also LOVE Narciso Rodriguez, it's simply fabulous!!!
    Lovely SJP deserves it's name, but it reminded me of Mandarina Duck, the fresh grassy notes overtook on my skin.
    I've tried some of the CSP musky scents, but they are way too sweet/exotic for my taste.

My newest discovery is Hanae by KM, I guess it's yuzu which combines so prettily with crystalline musk in it.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by audrey
    It was already so late yasterday when I posted this, si I never got to give my own opinion to the subject...

[quote author=moondeva link=1141087144/0#2 date=1141088085]My favourite musk (at the moment) is TBS Mostly Musk. I can see why they discontinued it as it is one of the sexiest, warmest, woodiest, animalistic yet clean musk out there! And we all know The Body Shop doesn't 'do' dirrrrrty! *:P I have been seriously searching for a replacement / alternative but so far nothing comes close.
    I've never tried this one, for I've never seen it. I quite like TBS White Musk, but would never call it dirty ;D
    actually to me it's rather the opposite. Moondiva, how about Japanese Musk? Have you tried it?

[/quote]

Ooooohhhhh! Don't get me started! *: LOL *I love, love, love TBS Japanese Musk it is one of my three top perfume oils (along with Mostly Musk & Woody Sandlwood) from TBS and is the whole root of my current obsession with new & discontinued oils from TBS.

On me it is more of a white floral chypre - starts out 'high', bright and slightly green (muguet / lily of the valley) but then mellows into one of the longest lasting, soothing, 'clean' woody musks ever. Brilliant. I will sometimes put a drop on before going to bed (it gives me sweet dreams) and I am truly looking forward to wearing out and about this spring and early summer. I think it is great for both office and casual wear - a true classic. *;D

Unfortunately white musks don't really do it for me. They are just too floral and powdery. And this is from someone who loves powder (I wear Shalimar, Royal Secret, Must de Cartier, L'Aimant) . I would love to be able to wear the TBS version but like their Oceanus & Moonflower range it has a sad tendency to turn to 'eau de trailer trash' on my skin. *:'( *I may give in and buy a bottle to scent rooms, linen and myself when I am home alone, with windows closed and curtain drawn. I don't even want to talk about Parfums de Coeur Skin Musk or Coty Wild Musk Cologne... * I truly do envy those who can wear them well though.

I think I prefer a good thwack of wood and moss in my musk to appease my chypre skin. :shrug:

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I guess my favorite musk lately is the clear, clean musk in the drydown of Luten's Fleur de Citronnier. It works best on me in really hot weather though and smells like I've just stepped out of the shower, as long as I don't drench myself in it. Another one that works well on me, if I give it a light hand is NR For Her, in EdT only though. And I truly have to use this one with caution or it just becomes overpowering. I have a sample of the body lotion too and I think that may be enough just on its own.

I think I will always love Bonne Bell Skin Musk- the oil. Right now what is out there just isn't what it used to be and the spray cologne is not as good as the oil.

Perhaps there is also a musk element in Child? This is another one I like in warm weather as, on me, it has a fresh, just-showered, clean quality. I always get nice comments on that one for some reason.

Interestingly I think I enjoyed straight musk more in my late teens. I remember having a bottle of Jovan Musk that was great then, but re-visiting it some years ago did nothing for me. Something I really haven't given much thought about till now.

The final, final dryout of Manifesto is a lovely, clean, soft, white musk. However, I've only been able to smell it once and I had to wait forever for it- even then it is so light I almost missed it. I wish there was a way to isolate that musk though, it was quite nice and would like to have a perfume of just that on its own.

I find I'm rather repulsed by musks containing too much vanilla or with a too pronounced powdery note.

Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Ooooohhhhh! Don't get me started! *: LOL *I love, love, love TBS Japanese Musk [...]
    On me it is more of a white floral chypre - starts out 'high', bright and slightly green (muguet / lily of the valley) but then mellows into one of the longest lasting, soothing, 'clean' woody musks ever. Brilliant. I will sometimes put a drop on before going to bed (it gives me sweet dreams) and I am truly looking forward to wearing out and about this spring and early summer. I think it is great for both office and casual wear - a true classic. *;D

Unfortunately white musks don't really do it for me. They are just too floral and powdery. And this is from someone who loves powder (I wear Shalimar, Royal Secret, Must de Cartier, L'Aimant) . I would love to be able to wear the TBS version but like their Oceanus & Moonflower range it has a sad tendency to turn to 'eau de trailer trash' on my skin. *:'( *I may give in and buy a bottle to scent rooms, linen and myself when I am home alone, with windows closed and curtain drawn. I don't even want to talk about Parfums de Coeur Skin Musk or Coty Wild Musk Cologne... * I truly do envy those who can wear them well though.

I think I prefer a good thwack of wood and moss in my musk to appease my chypre skin. :shrug:
    Sorry to quote myself but had a bit of a musk related success last night:

I layered TBS Japanese Musk with another (etailer) musk perfume oil and SO went crazy! Absolutely loved it - spontaneous compliments, requests to know name of said perfume, loads of nuzzling - the lot! LOL ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    I LOVE Narcisco Rodriguez For Her which is mostly Egyptian musk. I can't believe how much I love it. *My husband actually compliments this one as well. *It's a dreamy, warm, sensual musk. *Mmmmm....Have I mentioned that I LOVE it?

me too... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!

I love musk, and am in a musk obsession right now, and insofar, my favourite is Musc Koublai Khan. I am still on the fence with a few others - Narciso Rodriguez EDT, TBS White Musk, Coty Wild Musk and Musc Ravageur. Musc Koublai Khan is definitley the most erotic and animalic of all, and I love it. A little drop goes a long, long loooooong way.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

The muskiest, musky musk must be Muscs Koublaï Khan. Next time I get paid I'm going to have a drink or two, switch on the computer and buy a bottle. That's the only way I can muster up courage to order from Les Palais Royale. Then I'll suffer from up to two sleepless, anxiety-filled nights thinking I'm a fool for ordering perfume instead of buying food, clothes and paying bills.

Anyway, MKK is a wonderful musk. I imagine this is what musk perfumes smelled like hundreds of years ago. Furry, dangerous, animalic, narcotic. Baudelairesque!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    The muskiest, musky musk must be Muscs Koublaï Khan. Next time I get paid I'm going to have a drink or two, switch on the computer and buy a bottle. That's the only way I can muster up courage to order from Les Palais Royale. Then I'll suffer from up to two sleepless, anxiety-filled nights thinking I'm a fool for ordering perfume instead of buying food, clothes and paying bills.

Anyway, MKK is a wonderful musk. I imagine this is what musk perfumes smelled like hundreds of years ago. Furry, dangerous, animalic, narcotic. Baudelairesque!
    I am so excited - looking forward to receiving my decant of this and seeing how it compares to my beloved TBS Mostly Musk. ;D *Mostly Musk is my equivalant of pure patchouli for earthy types and hippies. Extremely earthy and natural smelling like sun warmed hair and skin. Please note that I cannot wear / straight Patchouli I find it very 'woody' with a base note of clean soil / earth which is not the kind of dirrrty I am looking for in my fragrance choice. *:P

The longer I have and use the Mostly Musk the more I am amazed it actually came from the Body Shop. It is so earthy, woody and animalic with a sexy edge to it that I must assume that they only wore it in the deepest coldest winter (when it is at its most innocent, warm, 'clean', cosy yet fresh simple musk self) and had no idea what they had created. Only when the weather began to warm and the tales of wanton debauchery filtered back to them did they understand and promptly discontinued it - never to be seen or heard of again. * *;D

Even though *I have managed to secure a tiny back up bottle or two I am eager to see if MKK is a worthy substitute or will even exceed the beautiful raw, earthy and almost blatantly sexual glory of my favourite musk oil. *;D

Synchronicity

you should check out the men's fragrance discussion and lok for the thread about Body Shop Musc Ravageur.

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1141264587

A bn member from Singapore was happily enjoying his free sample of FM MR and noticed the fragrance on a co-worker. When he approached his comrade in fragrance for a MR conversation, the coworker confessed that his sister had made the MR doppleganger by home blending the Body Shop's white musk Oil, Cinnamon Spice oil and Vanilla oil!.

There was an Interview in Now Smell This with Demeter Fragrancy Library's founder (and also now cb I Hate Perfume), Chritopher Brossius, in which he mentioned his favorite musk fragrance as good old Keihl's Original Musk Oil. I've tried it and it is lovely, musk is a component of a very well-rounded and graceful compostition. They also offer a lighter feeling reorchestration in a EdT fomat.

Cristopher Brossius Interview:

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...27/972686.html

kiehl's original musk oil:

http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/about/index.aspx?TopicCode=About^Our_Products^MuskStory& amp;

Kiehl's modern version:

Our special Musk "recipe" begins with an initial creamy, fresh citrus burst of Bergamot Nectar and Orange Blossom...followed by a soft floral bouquet of Rose, Lily, Ylang-Ylang and Neroli. Finally, Original Musk Eau de Toilette dries down to a warm, sensual Oriental finish of Tonka Nut, White Patchouli and, of course, Musk...the soul of this distinctively modern scent.

http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/catalo...mp;prdcode=557

I've probably mentioned this in several other posts, I'm sure, but my all-time favorite musk is still Auric Blends' "Egyptian Goddess." I first smelled it on a male co-worker who was working on a document production project with me in a 2x4 sized conference room. It was mid-summer, and he was wearing a pale mint green linen blend shirt. I kept thinking every time he'd move around the table that the scent must have been fabric softener, it smelled so fresh, clean & sexy. Not the sort of thing the usual law firm macho male would wear, which is why I was taken aback by it. When I asked him, and he told me it was 'Egyptian Goddess,' I was in disbelief. I kept thinking, "How could anything that cheap at $7 a bottle smell that incredibly wonderful on a man?" I guess to me, Egyptian Goddess smells like clean skin. Kind of the same sensation as Gendarme orig. but Goddess is so much more "earthy" and sensual. Without being overwhelming, which is unusual. Egyptian Goddess also reminds me of the way Skin Musk smelled when Bonne Bell was still making & distributing it.
    I believe someone in a previous post mentioned that Skin Musk kind of goes funky on her lately. Me, too. It used to smell more of a white floral overlay, but lately it has taken a turn southward - more like rotting fruit in its final stages of dry down. I don't know what they did to Skin Musk, but it sure isn't like the old bottle from the 1980's that I just used the last drop of. Also rationing the last of my BS Mostly Musk. I laugh now at the giant bottle I was forced to purchase, but now that it has bitten the fragrance dust, I'm glad I bought the large bottle.
    I recently bought Cabot's Original Musk. A nice beginning, but in a minute you can barely detect it. So not worth $10 per bottle.

Blog Entries

Rita Mae please, please write a small review of Mostly Musk so that others may have a small glimpse / insight into the wonder of this perfume. There is currently 250ml of the stuff up for auction on the auction site and I am sobbing as I type. :'( The seller is selling it in one go so it is already unattainable to devotees like my poor broke self.

Have you tried SL MKK? Could you give a quick comparison of the two? I would love to know if MKK is similar and whether it could take the place of my beloved MM...?

Thank you in advance

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk is my absolute favorite. The vanilla powder overlay of the rose and musk is simply addictive. When I'm not wearing it, I am usually wishing I was.
    I also like Kiehl's, both the Edt and the oil.
    A recent addition to my "favorites" list is L'Orientaliste Musc. It seems to use the same "animal" musk of the LV Musk but mixed with a very pleasant amber. In fact it kind of reminds me of Malle's Musc Ravaguer without the cinnamon which is alright with me.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Being the Old Fashioned Girl that I am, I cast my vote to something pure and simple, Common Scents Egyptian Musk. *Also in the running are Narciso Rodriguez's EDT. *

I'm embarrassed to say that Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely is growing on me, especially since I initially wanted to blast it off the planet and said so. *Ah, go ahead. *One serving of crow, please, preferably with Bernaise Sauce. Delicious.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

I got kinda burned out on musk. It was super trendy in the 70s when I was just coming into my grown-up-girl phase and I wore entirely too much of it. I don't mind it as a subtle note in fragrances, but a full on musk-based one leaves me pretty cold now.

But I do remember my favorite, which sadly isn't available any more as far as I can tell (I'd still wear it if it were!). It was (don't laugh) Bonne Bell Skin Musk. Very light, for a musk, and had gorgeous citrussy top notes that I loved.

Other than that, I don't really wear anything too musky. Just doesn't appeal to me.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift
    Synchronicity

... Keihl's Original Musk Oil. I've tried it and it is lovely, musk is a component of a very well-rounded and graceful compostition. They also offer a lighter feeling reorchestration in a EdT fomat.

kiehl's original musk oil:

http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/about/index.aspx?TopicCode=About^Our_Products^MuskStory& amp;

Kiehl's modern version:

Our special Musk "recipe" begins with an initial creamy, fresh citrus burst of Bergamot Nectar and Orange Blossom...followed by a soft floral bouquet of Rose, Lily, Ylang-Ylang and Neroli. Finally, Original Musk Eau de Toilette dries down to a warm, sensual Oriental finish of Tonka Nut, White Patchouli and, of course, Musk...the soul of this distinctively modern scent.

http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/catalo...mp;prdcode=557
    I just tried Original Musk last week and it's incredible!
    It has a real punch to it, along the lines of Muscs Koublai Khan, just slightly more tamed. But it is a really sexy animalic fragrance and worth getting a hold of if you like "dirty" musks!
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

All right. I'm going to go out to Chadstone (probably Sunday, as it's going to be bloody hot and it'll be nice to kill some time in an air conditioned shopping centre) and find Mecca Cosmetica, the store that carries Kiehl's. I went to their website and some of their stuff just sounds gorgeous. Mmm. I might even find that I'm not as burned out on musk as I thought... (I did used to really love it, back in the day).

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Well I have to confess that lately I have been on a muck bender! Just infatuated with it... love all fragrances that have prominent muskiness in them... My favorites are naughty Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur and ever so sensuous Serge Lutens - Bois et Musc... But OMG do I ever love SJP - Lovely... there is just something so super-sensuous in the scent... LOVE IT! Oh and well while mentioning Lovely I know I should also say that I do love Narciso Rodriguez as well....

"Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I tried the Kiehl's today. The shop didn't carry the oil, so I tried the EDT.

I must say, it's a really beautiful musk fragrance, very nicely balanced, lovely and soft and creamy. Very nice, and I could recommend it for anyone who likes musk perfumes.

I, however, found that I really still don't like musk. I can appreciate that this is a really good one, but it smells very like a musk oil I used to wear in the 70s and smelling this now just reminds me of that awkward, often painful coming-of-age period. Bleah.

I had hoped that I might be able to like musk again after all these years, but, alas, no. Beautifully made fragrance, definitely. Just not for me.

bonni
    -Karl, age 5