Code of Conduct

Default What do you wear to a business meeting?

I don't go to a lot of in-person business meetings. I work from home (freelance graphic design, digital art, and I sell various things online), and so normally I dress to please myself (i.e., as comfortably as posible) and I wear perfume to please myself, too.

Today, though, I had a face to face (casual) business meeting and so I dressed up a bit (wore a button down shirt instead of a tshirt, heheh) and then had to decide what perfume to wear. I chose Tresor because it's an appropriately sophisticated fragrance and, well, it's my favorite. Wearing it gives me a feeling of confidence and security.

So I was just wondering what other people might wear to a business meeting? Thought it might be a fun topic. ;D

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Default Re: What do you wear to a business meeting?

Feminine but not girly, subtle. In a professional setting one's fragrance should be an afterthought and *not* draw attention. I do *NOT* want ANY of my professional associations to think I smell sexy! Or butch. I definately want a fragrance, however, I do think it adds to memorability, and it must, more than usual represent who you are professionally(which is why sexy is out, unless you are a professional of a very specific persuasion).

For me, Bulgari pour Femme fits this bill. As I type this, I also think Diptyque's Philosykos would do the trick, especially in this early spring weather. #22, applied lightly, is all good, all the time. Fresh Index Cucumber Baie would do it, easpecially in summer heat.

Of course, this is all based on my wardrobe and my personality. Stronger, more agressive women need stronger more aggressive fragrances.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Hi bonni,

I think that Shycat really made an excellent point on this topic as she usually does in saying that this too is a very personal thing... your fragrance given any setting has to get across who you are, but even more importantly how you want to be seen/perceived... What do you want to get out of it in other words?

Personally, I love Prada for occasions like daytime business meetings *... especially if I have to present and persuade anyone, as it gives me confidence (especially when speaking)... I feel very comfortable when wearing it and that is my own personal boost.... However, about a *week ago, I was at a book launch which I also helped organize and I decided to wear Boucheron's Initial... the launch was an evening event and so I felt that this would definitely fit the occasion... a little bit glam a little bit sexy... Perfect for mingling... I was not selling myself! but without a doubt I wanted to be noticed... So go with what makes you feel powerful... or confident...

Best luck in the future
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I really like Ormonde Jayne Champaca for meetings, it is very feminine but I feel so confident when I wear it. If it's a work meeting with my colleagues, rather than customers or partners, I wear whatever I want. I remember MyQueen being a big hit in one workshop.

Blog Entries

I am perceived as a stronger more confident lady, though not 'aggressive' more assertive. LOL

Anyway, I usually choose Green Chypres for professional meetings (where confidence and self belief need to be conveyed).

My choices are:

Ma Griffe - brilliant for all ocassions but prefer in spring / summer
    Cabochard - my hg / sig. Pure understated power and elegance, a little intimidating.
    Givenchy III - spicy green chypre heaven, chic.
    Ma Griffe / Aromatic Elixir - I premix these together (1:1) and roll on. On me the mix is a slightly less intimidating Cabochard. Cabochard without the black leather.
    Chanel No.19 - gorgeous green floral chypre, feminine and elegant.
    Miss Balmain
    Charlie (Blue)

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

For me, the fragrance I wear in the office is Chanel's Chance. I am really drawn normally to flowerly, sensual perfumes, but I don't like to wear that kind of stuff to the office. Chanel is perfect for work. If I didn't have chance, I would wear Coco Madmoiselle.

The fragrances I wear or have worn that help me with confidence and focus (workplace) are:

My New Love - Carnal Flower
    Jo Malone Orange Blossom
    Chanel Chance (I've had random professors & strangers compliment this one)
    Hermes Eau des Merveilles
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil
    Ralph Lauren Blue
    Stella
    La Chasse aux Papillons
    Clinique Wrappings
    Stila Jade Blossom
    Origins Ginger
    Paris
    Luctor et Emergo - It's symbolic of the Bookworm Nerd that is my true self.
    -occasionally Bois des Iles, but only on special occasions

The ones I would NEVER wear in the workplace (just for me, because they wouldn't be conducive to the mood I need to be in at work - they may work beautifully for others):

Boudoir
    Opium
    La Maison de la Vanille Noire du Mexique
    Blv Notte
    Hypnotic Poison
    Shalimar
    Angelique Encens
    Chergui
    Chanel Allure

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bonni Hall
    I don't go to a lot of in-person business meetings. I work from home (freelance graphic design, digital art, and I sell various things online), and so normally I dress to please myself (i.e., as comfortably as posible) and I wear perfume to please myself, too.
    Another graphic designer here, working from her home. My publishers know of my fragrance fetish. The women clients are enjoying my adventure with me. The gentlemen clients don't care accept to be amused. So I still spray whatever suits my mood.

When I tested 24, Faubourg, I immediately thought that if I ever needed a fragrance to feel above reproach, then this was the ticket. No one could intimidate me if I wore this!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    ...sexy is out, unless you are a professional of a very specific persuasion.
    Gee, when you put it that way, I'm so happy I chose to retain my amateur status.

In lieu of Vetiver Pour Elle, Guerlain Vetiver layered with an Aqua Allegoria.

Well I work really close with other people (don't get it wrong, I work in symph.orchestra!), so usually I try to think of my collegues' noses and not overdo.

I find , it's about HOW MUCH rather than WHAT you apply, which makes the difference.

So basicly I wear anything I feel like, limiting it to a couple of drops on my wrists.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

I work in conference organisation, and my "conference perfume" (i.e. gives me confidence, smells classy but not overpowering, empowers me) is Caron's "Nuit de Noel".

But I always thought Van Cleef & Arpels "Murmure" would be the perfect fragrance for office or conference situations: unobtrusive, elegant, fresh, and incredibly long-lasting (i.e. it will take you through the whole day) .

24, Faubourg is another good one if it suits your chemistry (awful on me, great on my boss)!

Yes, I also avoid wearing sexy smell to the office or business meetings
    I prefer unisex fragrances or chypre..
    Something like Cristalle, Harissa, CK One, White Armani

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    [quote author=Shycat link=1141904034/0#1 date=1141918528] ...sexy is out, unless you are a professional of a very specific persuasion.
    Gee, when you put it that way, I'm so happy I chose to retain my amateur status.

In lieu of Vetiver Pour Elle, Guerlain Vetiver layered with an Aqua Allegoria.[/quote]

The VPE above sounds very sexy to me and I think we need to remember that subtle sexy -- not flirtatious, come hither or the main order of business -- is a very powerful trump card if played discretely.

I wear Daim Blond -- dead sexy but professional, sophisticated and elegant.

I work in a school in close contact with kids , parents, other staff etc
    so can't wear anything too strong and overpowering. I find that Clarins
    Eau Dynamisante or CK One are suitably professional.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Yatagan. And I'll tell you why: I love it like hell (especially the herbacious, celery & leatherlike drydown) & no male in the office can stand to be around me when I wear it. Since I have come to loathe the tedious, 2 hour long good ole' boy sessions, Yatagan has the magic trick for emptying the conference room around here. I find that men get very antsy and uncomfortable around me when I wear it. It's almost as though it threatens them somehow. I suppose if it does, so much the better. If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the conference room. [smiley=grin.gif]
    The women here are far too polite to even challenge the fragrance, so they sit silently & tight lipped & just dainitly dab at their nostrils. Then they probably go back to their offices and respray their wrists with Britney Spears. LOL [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RitaMae
    Yatagan. And I'll tell you why: I love it like hell (especially the herbacious, celery & leatherlike drydown) *& no male in the office can stand to be around me when I wear it. Since I have come to loathe the tedious, 2 hour long good ole' boy sessions, Yatagan has the magic trick for emptying the conference room around here. I find that men get very antsy and uncomfortable around me when I wear it. It's almost as though it threatens them somehow. I suppose if it does, so much the better. If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the conference room. *[smiley=grin.gif]
    The women here are far too polite to even challenge the fragrance, so they sit silently & tight lipped & just dainitly dab at their nostrils. Then they probably go back to their offices and respray their wrists with Britney Spears. LOL *[smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
    You go, girl!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.