Code of Conduct

Default My challenge with frangranes

Hey everyone! I am new here, so this is my first ever post.

I have always wanted to find a fragrance that I adored so much, that I wear it constantly. My problem with perfume is that so far, no matter what perfume I have bought, I get sick of it after only a few applications. I have several bottles of perfume in my bathroom...and the bottles are all full. I think they have gone down about a millimeter. I also find that some perfumes make me feel, for lack of a better word, dirty. I look forwards to a nice shower when I have them on. I can't explain this, because the smells are pretty. I just don't feel great with them on.

I just don't know how to make the right decision about a fragrance. I recently ordered three online: Bvlgari, Boucheron's Trouble, and Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior. Now, I really like the Bvlgari. I smelt it in the store and it was light, florally (without smelling old ladyish) and it wasn't overpowering. I wanted something else that commanded a bit more attention, so I purchased two other fragrances. I loved the heady scent of Trouble and Hypnotic Poison, until I ordered them. I have been going to the mall and trying these fragrances on, and at first I was in heaven. I kept smelling my wrists thinking..."this is perfect!!!!" Oddly enought, last night when I was wearing Hypnotic Poison it suddenly made me feel like I wanted to throw up. The vanilla smell just got stronger and stronger on my skin. It was way to sweet and I felt like I was drowning in it. If I could have turned it down considerably, I think I would have liked this more. Now I will have to return the perfume when it arrives, because I don't think I can wear it without getting sick. It went from pretty, to GROSS in a matter of days. What's wrong with me??

I am very sensitive to smells. Smells are like a diary to me. If I smell something I wore years ago, a flood of memories come back. I find I need to change perfumes frequently because after a while, a perfume starts to smell like the past to me (if this makes any sense.) Once it does this, the smell becomes unpleasant, and I no longer want to wear it. It's not that I have bad memories or anything...I just want something that is me here, now, in the present.

I would love to find a perfume I can wear each day. I love the thought of getting ready in the morning, and spritzing on a lovely scent, something that I adore and can't get enough of, before I head out the door. It would be awesome to find that signature fragrance. I know so many people who have a perfume that they wear constantly. I want to find "my" perfume. I don't know how to do this though! <sniff> I went to a deparment store, and have been sniffing around...yet nothing is interesting enough.

Help! Does anyone have any tips on how I can get started? I want to find something really special, that makes me drool, and feels amazing on. I am starting to despair though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My challenge with frangranes

Quote Originally Posted by Caribbeanblue79
    I have always wanted to find a fragrance that I adored so much, that I wear it constantly. *

I just don't know how to make the right decision about a fragrance. *I recently ordered three online: Bvlgari, Boucheron's Trouble, and Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior.

I am very sensitive to smells. *Smells are like a diary to me. *If I smell something I wore years ago, a flood of memories come back. *I find I need to change perfumes frequently because after a while, a perfume starts to smell like the past to me (if this makes any sense.) *Once it does this, the smell becomes unpleasant, and I no longer want to wear it. *It's not that I have bad memories or anything...I just want something that is me here, now, in the present.

I would love to find a perfume I can wear each day. *I love the thought of getting ready in the morning, and spritzing on a lovely scent, something that I adore and can't get enough of, before I head out the door. * It would be awesome to find that signature fragrance. *I know so many people who have a perfume that they wear constantly. *I want to find "my" perfume.
    Hello and welcome, Carribreanblue79!
    I took freedom to quote you in this order to make it clearer what I mean. First, I have to say that you have my complete understanding, for I feel the same quite often. But I find it's a contradiction if you want to wear the same scent and still wear smth new, from NOW at every new stage of your life.

Are you sure that you aren't getting in love with the IDEA of having a signature scent, while smth else could make you REALLY happy?

The other problem might be that you haven't found the perfect way FOR YOU to wear a fragrance. Scents like Hypnotic Poison and Trouble,quite similar, by the way, are very intense. I remember a friend of mine telling me how she put half the bottle of her mom's Mitsouko on when she was a kid, with the result that she had to throw up for 2 days and can't stand a perfume ever since :'(Personally I only apply strong perfumes on my wrists, otherwise I risk getting a headache.

If you react sensitively, then the solution might be to order samples to test them to get to know if you can still stand them after 3 days.
    I highly recommend www.luckyscent.com
    after I tried them myself. They have most of niche fragrance houses, and good descriptions/reviews.
    If you like sweet scents, Keiko Mecheri *line might be the answer.
    Good luck, and don't give up!It might be a life journey tho, I must warn you
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Hey!

Yes, what I said does sound like a contradiction. I love the idea of having a signature scent, but I am not sure if this is possible. I think in the past I have been picking out perfumes that did not suit me. I have some that smell way too old for me, and some that are too little girly. I have not really know what I was doing in the past, and I would wander around a department store, pick something that smelled okay, buy it, and end up unhappy.

I think I am trying to find something that smells SO good to me, that I want to wear it every day. I will probably want to change it for something else at the end of the year, but I do want to wear a nice perfume to work each day. I have yet to find something that I smell and go "Ahhh....this is SO amazing!!! Most of the perfumes I have been sampling at the department store smell similar. I want something appealing, but different. I only smelt ONE perfume when I was out yesterday that made me pause and go..."How unique." It did not suit me, but it was nice to see a real variation.

The people who work behind the perfume counters have not been able to offer much assistance. I try to describe what I am looking for, and most of the staff don't know perfume well enough to be able to help me.
    What I am trying to do, is read through posts on this forum, and see what perfumes other people seem to like. I am making a list, so when I am at a fragrance counter, I know what to ask for. Hopefully I will be able to narrow the choices down and find out what is truly me.

A question about Hypnotic Poison and Boucheron's trouble. Are there other fragrances similar to this, but more subtle. I liked both when I first smelt them, but now I find them too much. They are too sweet smelling, but I like the idea. If I could tone them down a bit, and make a change or two, they might be ideal. (I wish I could wave a majic wand here! Hehehe)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carib and welcome.

Try Hugo Boss Deep Red instead of Hypnotic Poison. Exactly the same but much softer.

Good luck at sniffing!

Ladylonestar

Have you sampled Armani Sensi yet? It's not an exact smell-alike to Hypnotic Poison and Trouble, but it's got the same *feel* and may have the subtlety you seek. I love all three but there are rare times that Hypnotic Poison isn't quite what I'm wanting or it's a little more than I'm wanting. I wear it now lightly and mostly at bedtime. Anyway, do give Sensi a try and welcome to Basenotes.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who swore on HP for years, but wouldn't wear it anymore, because she, like you, felt too connected to the past through it. I gave her Celine Fever (after a long search for a substitute!) for her Birthday, and she was very happy with it. She said, it had a good balance between smth.new and the familiar HP feeling.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome, CB79!

You've got me wondering whether you favor top notes, but not necessarily subsequent middle and basenotes. (I'm the other way, tolerating few topnotes, but loving most basenotes.) Maybe you need to try some less complex frags and learn more exactly which notes you prefer. As Audrey suggested, you could order some simple scents and maybe even learn to layer some for yourself. Jo Malone suggests how her fragrances can be used in combinations. I've found a combination of Jo Malone Orange Blossom and Ambra del Nepal (I Profumi di Firenze) very similar to Boucheron's Trouble. There are ebay sellers who will send you your choice of JM samples.

http://www.jomalone.com/templates/pr...D=CATEGORY6542
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Caribbeanblue79 and welcome!

I have a feeling you're going to be like the rest of us here and fall in love with LOTS of fragrances! :-D

The fragrances you've mentioned are, to me, very heavy, sensual, romantic fragrances which could definitely be overwhelming for daywear. Hypnotic Poison is one of my favorite fragrances, but there's no way I'd wear it to work or for daywear. It would be too much for me. Have a look at www.luckyscent.com, www.lusciouscargo.com and www.aedes.com. They all have good sample programs. Sample fragrances from a variety of fragrance families, not just orientals. You may like Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum (it's my day-time "Hypnotic Poison&quot, or Lea St. Barth.

I am exactly the same as you with "scent memories"! I totally understand. I have found a select few that stay in my wardrobe, after lots of searching. Two unique and outstanding fragrances are Keiko Mecheri Gourmandises and People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo. I don't know that either of those would work for an "everday" scent, though. Maybe give Keiko Mecheri Sanguine a try? Also try some L'Artisans, especially La Chasse aux Papillons. La Chasse is an "everyday" scent I never tire of.

Good luck! Let us know how your hunt goes :-)

Hi and welcome! *

Just be patient, do some sampling before you buy anything more, and have fun in the meantime!
    Give every scent a second chance - at least. OK, sometimes you can tell it´s wrong from the very beginning. Don´t sniff too many bottles at the same time. I´ve had similar experiences as you with not only Hypnotic Poison but about every vanilla-based scent I tried on..but that has changed, strangely enough. I used to think the vanilla choked everything else on my skin. Not anymore. Weird.
    If you are like me though there will always be days when nothing seems good enough, and then other days when there are at least five scents you would like to declare signature scents *

Have you tried on Chanel Coco Mademoiselle? I am suggesting it because it´s a little of everything: a little freshly floral-fruity-cutey and yet a little oriental and spicey with vanilla and patchouli. However, luckyscent samples is a great suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

I too think that getting a bunch of samples is probably the way to go as well- try them out at different times of the day, and when you’re feeling different moods. That way you’ll get to know how different types of fragrances react with your skin and how they also modify your moods. In some ways it sounds as if you’re not even completely sure which family of fragrances suits you best. That’s fine, take your time to discover.

I also like luckyscent.com for samples of niche fragrances. Beautyhabit.com also has some interesting fragrances and they have samples as well. For more department-store types, perfumebay.com sometimes has samples and you can also get samples from scentagious.com

If you need more info on the different types of families of fragrances osmoz.com is a wealth of information. There you can cross reference a slew of information concerning individual perfumes, their fragrance family and the notes. Scentdirect.com often has the notes of fragrances, so they are another place to check. Make sure you keep your own written notes of fragrances that you think you like, stuff you liked but got sick of, and scents that obviously don’t work on you. After a while you’ll begin to see patterns emerge and what fragrance families you are naturally drawn to.

As far as a signature scent: For those who truly love and appreciate perfume, it can be a hard goal to accomplish. Sometimes we settle for a few fragrances that are really close to our hearts and know those are “the ones” while we still have a collection of others that we play with and are interested in.

Scent, as you know, is very personal. In the end only you can truly decide what smells delicious on you. If you can be comforted at all, I would suggest that this path to discovery can also help define you on other levels as well. It may be “just perfume” but it’s interesting to see how knowing what you like to smell can help make you decisive about other areas of your life as well.

Experiment. Have fun. Welcome to Basenotes! :-*
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Wow guys!!! So many useful tips! I don't know where to start! I made a list of every single fragrance you guys recommended, and I will go and smell them when I am next at the perfume counter.

You know what would reall help? Learning the smell or certain notes in perfumes. Right now, I basically smell a perfume and go "Yum" or "yuck" but it would be nice to be able to understand what I am smelling. If I knew that one perfume had too much jasmine, or another had too much lily, that would help me figure out what I actually like. I am not sure how to go about this, because I can't go and sniff all these ingredients seperatly.

Someone had suggested that maybe I am more of a top note fan. This could very well be. I am not that fond of perfumes after then have been on my skin for many hours. I enjoy them most during the first hour or so. Does this mean I should re-apply the perfume every hour to hang on to those top and middle notes?

I also need help with something else. I am not that good at picking out a fragrance that is age appropriate. (I am 26.) I came home with a bag of samples that I shared with my family. For many, people kept saying that they were a bit "old lady". I want to know what this means? What type of perfumes fit into this category. Is it something that is too floraly? I can see what they mean now when I smell these perfumes, but I don't know what it is that makes these fragrances not a good fit for me. Maybe as I become more educated about fragrances in general, I will be able to make more informed decisions.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I think you may want to swap or sell what you no longer like. In the meantime, you may want to get those bottles out of your bathroom. I know they look pretty in there but it's best to keep them away from heat and light if you want them to remain fresh-smelling.

Since you don't seem to care for things for very long, maybe you could give some thought to collecting minis or buying decants after you discover a sample you like.

I wouldn't reapply too often to recapture the top notes unless the fragrance has faded almost completely. You might end up over-doing it. Instead, try to find fragrances that are almost entirely composed of the top notes you are liking. For example, if you like jasmine, Donna Karan has a Jasmine fragrance in her new Essences series that is stunning, and contains nothing BUT jasmine that my nose can detect. If you want more of a blend, you could layer her Jasmine over Wenge or another scent in the series and reapply only the Jasmine as it starts to fade.

Someone had suggested that maybe I am more of a top note fan. *This could very well be. *I am not that fond of perfumes after then have been on my skin for many hours. *I enjoy them most during the first hour or so. * Does this mean I should re-apply the perfume every hour to hang on to those top and middle notes?
    I agreed with Quarry on this. But don't keep reapplying; you'll just contribute to a buildup of the drydown. Instead, seek out perfumes that are linear. What you smell is what you get; they don't change.

Try something very light and delicate like Eau Belle by Azzaro and stick to pretty minis maybe.

I think I'm actually starting to develop the same thing too.

I have a few bottles of my fav fragrance (Rockin' Rio) but when I went one night I discovered it smelt just like a J20 Apple and Mango drink. I was kinda mortified.

The fragrances you have are quite popular so you'ld be able to trade them easily and retain a sample decant for yourself.

Let us know what happens!

Not that I am very experienced myself. But I find collecting isn't a bad thing, except for your wallet. Mini's are a good way to go. I have found that after applying a fragrance, then sniffing coffee clear the smell out then checking the scent again really helps me id the actual notes and see if I really like it. Sometimes the initial wife throws you off and before you have a chance to sort out all the scents you get locked on the one you like. Sniffing coffee or other strong distinct scents helps clear the scent out and allow you a more objective and full second wiff.

Ladylonestar

I also need help with something else. *I am not that good at picking out a fragrance that is age appropriate. *(I am 26.) *I came home with a bag of samples that I shared with my family. *For many, people kept saying that they were a bit "old lady". *I *want to know what this means? *What type of perfumes fit into this category. *Is it something that is too floraly? *I can see what they mean now when I smell these perfumes, but I don't know what it is that makes these fragrances not a good fit for me. *Maybe as I become more educated about fragrances in general, I will be able to make more informed decisions. *
    Good heavens, you're making this way too hard. It's not supposed to be hard. You're TWENTY-six not SIX. You're a full-grown woman and you can wearing ANYTHING you want to wear as long as you and you alone love it. Period. Everything is "age appropriate" for you. I've known what I've loved since I first smelled fragrances and I've picked my own fragrances since before I was a teenager.

I'll spare you my opinion of the term "old lady fragrance." What perfumes fit into that category? "Old lady" is not a category.

Maybe as I become more educated about fragrances in general, I will be able to make more informed decisions.
    Seriously, your nose will inform you and help you make your decision. Do you love how it smells, do you love how you feel wearing it? You don't need textbooks and family meetings to find a fragrance. Relax, have fun and follow your own nose, trust your own nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    [quote author=Caribbeanblue79 link=1141230925/0#10 date=1141255797]

I'll spare you my opinion of the term "old lady fragrance." What perfumes fit into that category? "Old lady" is not a category.

ooooh, I beg to differ. I'm no spring chicken at 43, but I know just what she's talking about. A more accurate description might be historic or vintage style accords. [smiley=smiley.gif] I feel this way about heavy indolic jasmines and cluttered orientals. I feel this way about amber in the base notes! Now, this is ridiculous considering Stella McCartmey's wildly successful amber heavy rose fragrance. Intellectually, I know this.

Emotionally, however, give me a simple, fresh, green, translucent fragrance every time. [smiley=cheesy.gif] Except, sometimes, give me Fumerie Turque. [smiley=huh.gif]

L'Artisan's

Verte Violet
    Mimosa pour Moi
    La Haie Fleurie du Hameau

Penhaligon's

Elizabethan Rose
    Bluebell

Annick Goutal Eau de Camille

Fresh Index Cucumber Baie

And just today, I bought Kai perfume oil.

Diptyque's Philosykos is another brisk springtime scent for me. Heavier and yum fragrances I like are The Different Company's Osmanthus, L'Artisan's Orchidee Blanc. YSL Paris, Keiko Macheri's Loukhoum, Comptor Sud Pacifique's Matin Calin, Lolita Lempicka's Lolita Lempicka, Serge Luten's Datura Noir, SL's Douce Amere, SL A la Nuit, and my intense love affair with Fumerie Turque continues unabated.

CB, it really sounds to me like you need several of these beauties. It sounds like the problem is you've never found a single fragrance you love, and frankly, my dear, that breaks my heart. Anyone of these would make me smile for a month at a time, but I could never go that long without desparate cravings for the others. If you haven't sampled much from the niche world, I highly suggest it.
    I found all these by ordering sample packs off Ebay--the only two available at a typical department store are Paris and Lolita.

They are out there! Waiting for YOU! NOW PUT ON THOSE HIGH HEELS AND GO SHOPPING! [smiley=grin.gif]

[smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Ladylonestar

You can beg to differ with me all you want, Shycat. Old Lady is still not a category. Most people who use the term, and I've seen it used for over 3 years now, aren't referring to vintage or historic. Vintage and old-fashioned are terms I use myself. Another one is Old World. Old lady is almost always used in a negative sense, where vintage, Old World and old-fashioned are not, or at least are not often or are not necessarily used in a negative sense.

Sorry about the old lady term. *I hesitated to use that, because it sounds rude. *I didn't know how else to describe my problem though. *My boyfriend was smelling some of the perfume samples I had and all the ones he didn't like he said "these smell a bit "old lady". *I have heard this term from people many many times. *Some of the sales clerks who were helping me find perfumes would say this too. *I think about it myself sometimes also. *Some perfumes I just associate with an older crowd...just like some I associate more with a younger group. *I wore stuff totally different in high school that I wouldn't touch now, and those scents I associate with a certain category. * Anyway....I apologize. *

"CB, *it really sounds to me like you need several of these beauties. *It sounds like the problem is you've never found a single fragrance you love, and frankly, my dear, that breaks my heart. *" *

Shycat....you are absolutely right. *I never gave it much thought before now, but I have neer found a perfume I love. *I have bought things that I can tollerate, probably because I am not that informed about perfume in general, and that was it. *I have never experience the joy of truely adoring a fragrance. *I am hoping that this will chanage soon though! *I am trying to really learn about what makes up a good fragrance. *I am also trying to figure out the notes that I like, and ones that I don't. *I have a large list of perfume to try after reading through this forum for the past few days, and I am heading out to a fabulous perfume store this evening. *I really hope I find a few fragrances that I can have fun with. *That would be such a wonderful and thing to experience. * *If I find anything that appeals to me, I promise to let everyone know!

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another modifier for the sorts of fragrances to which the boyfriend is referring might be grandmotherly (or maybe grande dame with the French pronunciation grahn dahm). But we all know exactly what the young man means by old lady, and I give him credit for the accuracy of simply specifying age-range and gender.

Part of aging includes a reduction in some of one's senses, so elder women sometimes overindulge in fragrance application or choose fragrances that are, by their composition, naturally strong smelling. Further, aged skin is dry, so it doesn't hold a fragrance as long, and thus hyper application may be used by older consumers to compensate for that. Thems just the facts, Jack.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Ladylonestar

Sorry about the old lady term. *I hesitated to use that, because it sounds rude. *I didn't know how else to describe my problem though. *My boyfriend was smelling some of the perfume samples I had and all the ones he didn't like he said "these smell a bit "old lady". *I have heard this term from people many many times. *Some of the sales clerks who were helping me find perfumes would say this too. *I think about it myself sometimes also. *Some perfumes I just associate with an older crowd...just like some I associate more with a younger group. *I wore stuff totally different in high school that I wouldn't touch now, and those scents I associate with a certain category. * Anyway....I apologize. *
    No need to apologize, Caribbeanblue. This topic comes up from time to time and no one can explain what it means. They can only explain what it means to them; such as what some older woman in church was wearing or what their grandmother wore, etc. And then you get the "everyone knows that old ladies have no sense of smell" or decreased sense of smell and so overapply EVERYTHING just so they can smell it. Someone posted a link some time ago to a study that showed that women don't actually lose their sense of smell, at least not at the rate men do. But I digress... that's not my point anyway.

My point is that you have to find what you love regardless of what anyone else says about it. If an SA says to you that a fragrance is "too old lady", ask her what she means. If she's a good SA then before she says something as stupid as that, she'll ask YOU about YOU -- what are your interests, are you gregarious and social, are you athletic, outdoorsy type, do you work, where do you work -- she'll ask about you. The fragrance is about YOU and not about what the SA thinks. She may be trying to sell you the latest launch. But based on the information you give her and what she discovers about your personality, she may simply think that the fragrance is too somber or too refined, etc. for your personality; perhaps not hip or trendy enough for you.

I've seen Opium called "old lady" perfume, and recently read a somewhat similar (though not exact) term used for Ma Griffe. I was with an SA at Dillards (or Foleys, can't remember right now) when a woman in her 30s, after spraying Euphoria, exclaimed loudly, "That's what them old ladies wear."

Do some browsing and sniffing on your own, find what you love, wear it. Good luck.

I just felt compelled to say "Thank you!" for the question, and another thank-you for all of the great answers... I'm new to the forum as well, and although I have had fragrances come and go, recently I have developed a strong desire to find the "one" as well. But, along the way, have realized I want "all".

My impression is that perhaps you might need a light fragrance, and a mini to carry along and apply mid-day... I recently tried Jil Sander Sport, which I thought would be very out of character for me, and found it very pleasing-- bright, refreshing, but with something warm and sweet to offer, too. Although I don't think it comes in a mini... maybe decant to a mini-sprayer?

Also I feel that I want my fragrances to last and last, but then those tend to be the ones I can't wear at work (they don't feel "right" at work... too sexy or deep for Excel spreadsheets)... I think if I can smell it constantly, though, then it might be too strong. Hmm... I think applying to the wrists is a good idea, then you can discreetly smell your perfume for a "lift" when no one's looking... ;D

Quote Originally Posted by lucyhanako
    Hmm... I think applying to the wrists is a good idea, then you can discreetly smell your perfume for a "lift" when no one's looking... *;D
    Oh, I do that constantly!
    Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't know...
    Much of what you wrote really strikes home for me. For example, the first few times I tried Jaipur Homme I thought was amazing, and one day the vanilla got to me. It has not been right for me since. Or feeling the need to shower sometimes because the fragrance makes me feel "not clean," even though I like the fragrance.

For me, there is nothing like the comforting effect of a nice fragrance enveloping me. But I'm starting to think that I don't feel comfortable wearing fragrances all the time. *And I can't splash just any fragrance on. I have to think about whether it is fitting my mood at the time. *And in this, maybe it is like watching a movie. Sometimes I like a love story, sometimes a thriller, and sometimes I'm not in the mood.

Anyway, I hope my comment does not hijack your thread. It's just that some of what you wrote is very familiar to me.

Andrew,

Fragrances are funny that way! You think you LOVE something at first, but when you have to smell it all day, it becomes a bit much. I think vanilla type fragrances are things I will have to wear occasionally. Constantly smelling them makes me feel not quite right (even though I have found a few I adore.)

Lucyhanaco,
    I love smelling my wrist when I have something yummy on. I like more subtle fragrances. If I put on a perfume, and people can smell me in the next room, then that fragrance is WAY to much for me. It makes me feel off. I like something a bit softer. I want someone to get a hint of something pretty as I walk by. Thankfully I have found several fragrances that fit the bill! I only have one that goes on really strong at first, but it drys down quickly to something much more subtle.