Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zodiac - any relevance?

Forgive me if this a completely inane/duplicitous question - not much happening at work today!!!

Those of you who believe in personality traits being linked to your zodialogical sign (and those who don't - I am not overly convinced) do you see patterns between what people wear/like and their star signs?

Default Re: Zodiac - any relevance?

I saw one of these fragrance and the Zodiac charts recently -- can't remember where -- and I read down to my sign, did not like a single one. *Read my rising sign, etc. still could not find a match.

So I would not know where to start.

Do you have any ideas to kick off a discussion?

Default Re: Zodiacn - any relevance?

I don't believe in the zodiac at all, for anything. But I always read mine!!

Please, spritz responsibly.

I also don't believe in the zodiac. I always thought that putting 6.5 billion people into 12 categories was a bit too much. It's fun though! I read my horoscope every now and then and i certainly am not afraid to try new things (frag related) if the zodiac and stuff says so.!
    I am a Gemini by the way.

Ladylonestar

I think I read my horoscope a couple of times a year. : John Oakes, author of The Book of Perfumes and The New Book of Perfumes, has a section called "The Perfumed Zodiac." I think it's definitely a fun read.

I'm a Scorpio (is anyone surprised?) and for Scorpios a few he lists are Magie Noire, Paloma Picasso, Must de Cartier, Opium, Coco. Those happen to be some of my loves.

Thank you to kissandmakeup for starting a fun topic and to Ladylonestar for the reference to John Oakes, author of The Book of Perfumes and The New Book of Perfumes you know I'm going to go and look my sign up

I'm a Taurus and just love gourmand perfume and food... no surprises there I'm sure... as that goes with all the zodiac descriptions I've ever read so far.... Be interesting to find out more though
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I do believe in the Zodiacs, however (and this is funny), quite contrary to those who don't, never-ever read my horoscope in the mags/papers - they're way too general.

And I do not, hence, believe that scents could be classified by Sun Sign, either - and for the same reason. Way too general.

There are so many variables that shape you within your Sun Sign, it's impossible to generalize. My sister and I are both Virgos, and two more different people you would be pressed to find; however, we're both unmistakeably Virgos, just on the opposite ends of the spectre. ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Although Aquarius, my sign, fits my personality exactly, I rarely find any of the astrological fragrance suggestions to be in synch with my taste. I guess that sort of ambiguity fits well with Aquarius too, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    I think I read my horoscope a couple of times a year. *: *John Oakes, author of The Book of Perfumes and The New Book of Perfumes, has a section called "The Perfumed Zodiac." *I think it's definitely a fun read.

I'm a Scorpio (is anyone surprised?) and for Scorpios a few he lists are Magie Noire, Paloma Picasso, Must de Cartier, Opium, Coco. *Those happen to be some of my loves.
    If the clearly inferior list I looked at had had perfume selections for my sign , also Scorprio (cusp sagitarrius), as nice as this then I would have been pleased. *So I guess it depends on the chart maker! Lucky Lady Lonestar

Do our astrologically inclined basenotes sisters have any suggestions for fragrance families for any of the signs? *Cancers -- marine, Gemini -- light trasparent, airy. We have head Taureans love gourmands.......can any one with any insight continue, this is fun!

8-)

Typical isn't it? I start this thread because it's quiet at work and then I get bogged down with phone calls, e-mails and other button emergencies (I sell buttons!) So this is the first chance I have had to reply to it!!!

Apparently, as a pisces, I am mesmerised by the sensuality of fragrance and there are few I dislike. Hmmmm. Seems a bit general to me. However I want to crack on because although I am a sceptic (sort of!) I do see some personality traits in myself that are consistently attributed to pisceans, so I am interested to see if there are patterns in fragrances that I am 'suspposed' to prefer. There might be some good suggestions for new fragrances to try and that can never be a bad thing!

Guerlain Samsara is apparently a powerful aphrodisac for my sign...well yeah but that's not just us fishes, right?! luckyscent.com had this to say about Pisces: "Artistic and independent, will dream about ginger, opium poppy and orange." One of my favourites is Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger, but on the other hand I am not very fond of ginger as a predominant smell. Yosh’s Omniscent and Comme de Garcon’s Wood Coffee are also suggested as my scents of choice but I have never smelt either. I'm off to check them out in the bn directory and find out what the notes are. I will continue to look around for other suggestions based on my starsign...if only to give me an excuse to try and buy new smellies :

Well I do believe in horoscopes, but I never pay attention to what they say in mass media forecasts-it's way too general. I also believe in Tarot spreads, Feng-shui etc. I don't think tho that there could be appropriate lists of fragrances for each sign, it's more of a general direction about how each sign chooses, what we look for. *:-? It's not that easy to express...I'm Gemini, and I choose my perfumes each as a different role, as another facet of me. It's important for me to have many choices, so I have many perfumes!
    In Feng-shui there are more factors that influence us, and there are different scents for each situation.
    E.G:as a Gemini/earth Horse I can use woody scents like sandalwood, pine and cedar to improve my wealth situation. You can actually try a sample report or buy the whole thing at tarot.com/i-ching/feng-shui

ps: I've recently read a post from a Gemini on basenotes, and 3 of the mentioned perfumes were also in my wardrobe...
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Well, I'm a Capricorn, but definitely have a Gemini fragrance personality. If I worked ata perfume shop, I'd be testing them all every five seconds. LOL
    However, I do not blame that obsession on Phyllis Diller. [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess Dreams
    I'm a Taurus and just love gourmand perfume and food...
    i'm a taurus as well, and i also like foody/fruity scents, especially on women.

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

On luckyscent there is a section called luckystars: http://www.luckyscent.com/category/luckystars.asp
    Currently wearing: The Wendol by Blackbird

Basenotes Institution

A very interesting topic! I am in the middle of something right now: your typical Gemini with very strong Scorpio, but I will post my thoughts on the subject tomorrow and it is going to be looooooong! :-)
    Currently wearing: Omnia Paraiba by Bulgari

Usually, the fragrances suggested for my sign, Virgo, don't seem to fit. But I don't think I've read what John Oakes has to say. Well, I've heard Virgos are supposed to be neat freaks and keep their homes spotless...I wish. But I guess I see a correlation because I've come to realize I have a real fondness for "clean" [smiley=bath.gif] fragrances. I appreciate many types of fragrances, but I know I will feel comfortable anytime, anyplace wearing a fresh citrus or clean musk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    John Oakes, author of The Book of Perfumes and The New Book of Perfumes, has a section called "The Perfumed Zodiac." I think it's definitely a fun read.
    I have John Oakes' All About Perfume (which, by the way, I can highly recommend), and he gives zodiac signs that would be "compatible" with different perfumes. I find it entertaining, and it's funny that most of the perfumes I like really do have my zodiac sign as being "compatible" (which I attribute more to the coincidence that my personality really does fit the usual one given for my zodiac sign, rather than anything to do with the stars).

Fun, entertaining, not to be taken too seriously, IMHO.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Ladylonestar

Plumeria, Mr. Oakes seems to think that Boucheron, Ungaro, Kenzo Parfum d'Ete, Gianfranco Ferre, Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Jean Paul Gaultier, and Feminite du Bois would suit the Virgoan personality. He's never met a Virgo who didn't "go weak in the knees" for Romeo Gigli, and he suggests something along the lines of Ozbek, Le Feu d'Issey or Van Cleef to cheer you up.

So... do Virgoans have a tendency to criticize themselves (and others) too much?

I do see matches between some people I know and their personality traits linked to their zodiac sign, and I believe also in a link between the time of the year people are born and their personality in correlation with place and culture.
    I don't believe in horoscopes, they're to generic and vague. It could be that there is a link between fragrance preference and zodiac signs though, but not so strong I think. It's as much nature, as nurture and experience in my opinion...

I see the only link between zodiac and scents - e.g. I am Gemini - i.e. changeable sign and I like to change scents very frequently. That´s all. In horoscopes, I don´t believe but I am for 100% sure about personality description according to the scopes with some exceptions.

Blog Entries

OK - let us put this to the test!

You can list a few of your 'typical' favourite perfumes or the types of perfume you go for and let us guess your Sun sign.

Or you could list your perfume preferences (see above) and your Sun sign and those of us with the John Oakes books (His Perfume Zodiac is more in depth and also has suggestions for the boys) can check see if you are 'typical', maybe even add to your list!

I already am an anomaly as I love perfume in all it's wide diversity and variations to be limited to a type but do find that I gravitate regularly to scents that fall under my RISING signs tastes. *

[*reading the first part of that comment makes me laugh because it is SO typical of my sun sign - LOL :]

So it isn't scientifically valid - but it will be fun!! ;D
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Blog Entries

Whenever I have read recommendations for my sign (Pisces), they have mostly been very wishy-washy and watery scents. :-/

I'm most into woody, spicy and/or ambery Orientals, perhaps because of my Leo rising? :

"Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Whenever I have read recommendations for my sign (Pisces), they have mostly been very wishy-washy and watery scents. :-/

I'm most into woody, spicy and/or ambery Orientals, perhaps because of my Leo rising? *:
    ahem! John Oakes (in Perfume Zodiac) actually notes that for a water sign Pisces actually do not universally love the water (being tactful here). He recommends:

Pisces Staples:
    Samsara (I would pick this for a typical Piscean lady personally)
    1000 (mille)
    Vent Vert
    L'Heure Bleue
    Paloma Picasso
    Dune (:groan: he was doing so well until then)

Secret (unexpected) scents:
    Asja
    Passionflower
    Acqua di Gio (:groan: but then it is ubiquitous - someone had to get it! :P)
    O de Lancome
    Gianfranco Ferre (I would pick this for a typical Piscean lady personally)
    Jean-Louis Scherrer

Pisces / Aries Cusp:
    Montana Parfum de Peau
    Fracas
    Blue Grass
    Sonia Rykiel

Aquarius / Pisces Cusp:
    Les Belles de Ricci
    Folie Douce
    Eau de Camille (I would pick this for a typical Piscean lady personally)
    Parfum de Jour

Not all watery and insipid. Are any other personal favourites listed?

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Is there any link to that book or its online version? Thanks

Blog Entries

Here are my picks from the list:
    Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Samsara (I would pick this for a typical Piscean lady personally)
    Vent Vert
    L'Heure Bleue
    Sonia Rykiel
    Eau de Camille (I would pick this for a typical Piscean lady personally)
    I wear Samsara only at home, it's the signature scent of one of my workmates (she's Leo) and I find it very relxed and comfy, a casual Oriental.

Paloma Picasso and Parfum de Peau go very strong and bitter on me, Les Belles and Folie Douce smell better in the bottle than on my skin (but I find them too fruity anyway) and Asja and Fracas make me queasy. :-X
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution

OK, I will try to be brief. Oh, how I want to lay my paws on that Oakes' book!

Here are some of my observations:
    1) For those who do not believe in astrology -- you do not know what you are missing. IMHO. The zodiacal circle, known as horoscope, is the symbol for the flow of the energies in the universe. Try to make your own chart through Astrodienst for starters, then go to Astrology-Numerology site to read more on the meanings of signs and aspects.
    2) Almost everybody and their dog know their Sun sign and their element (Fire, Water, Air, Earth), and that is where the first generalization error occurs: if someone was born under the sign of Cancer, it does not necessarily mean that their most favorite perfumes will include L'Eau D'Issey, Sunflowers and Aqua di Gio. Is your sign Cardinal (self-starters and pioneers), Fixed (adamant executives and supporters) or Mutable (versatile and multi-faceted)?
    3) What was it the sign on the cusp of the first house -- Ascendant indicating your outer personality?
    4) For women it is very important where the Moon (responsible for senses, inlcluding a sense of smell and "gut" feeling) and the Venus (mode of appreciation) are. For every perfume lover, I would recommend to also pay close attention to the position of Neptune (sensitivity, addiction).
    5) How big is your 5th House, responsible for pleasures and enjoyment? What are the planets and their aspects positioned inside it? How is it/are they connected with your 4th House (private life, inner emotions)?
    6) Now that we learnt to avoid generalizations, let me include the fun part: random thoughts. ;D No offense is meant, I promise!

Aries -- perfume collection is large, bold and bright. Orientals and brutal chypres. Fragrances marketed for men. Trying new fragrances every other day. At some point of life can swap everything away and start anew. Tonka bean.

Taurus -- perfumes represent sweet and gourmand groups, also classy intoxicating florals: white, yellow florals + roses. Soliflores. Bottles: more quality, than quantity. Pink/gold. Vanilla/amber.

Gemini -- Energizer bunny of the perfume world. Citruses, sparkling, effervescent. Can wear one fragrance for the day, and enjoy long fragrant baths at night. Will try everything. Can wear "cheapies" with aplomb and poise so that they do not smell "cheap".

Cancer -- no marine fragrances, please! Sentimental value fragrances, quiet and debonnaire. Signature, Holy Grail. Creed. Galbanum. Airy, but making a statement, often a financial statement. Status smells. Aldehydes.

Leo -- let me on the stage and give me the audience, I am here to impress! Variety collection. Highest bids on eBay. Power scents. All shades of gold and black, deepest and most vibrant reds. Tropical fruit. Hard work, lack of sleep. Pretty bottles.

Virgo -- intelligent classics, most of them in Minis. Nice displays, never a squirrel syndrom -- somewhere here, but can't find it at the moment. Curiosity and attention to the notes. Herbal scents. Best sandalwoods and cedarwoods.

Libra -- "vintage" is the key word. Rare and hard-to-find. Rich floral bouquets, dirtiest clean musks. Periods of utter fragrant boredom. What was I thinking? Chocolate. Factices. Dolce Vita. Heliotrope.

Scorpio -- significant. Deep mysteries, unexpected combinations. Fragrances with history -- how and where. Best myrrh and insense. Animalistic chypres. Creamy, milky woods, cold bitter bergamot. White boxes.

Saggitarius -- challenge takers. Quantity, not quality. Overuse, overdoze. Best fruity chypres. Guerlain. Lost that bid again. Fougeres. Went on a three-store sniffathon. Fascinating. Violets. Orris.

Capricorn -- shy beauty. Airy/watery/ozonic accord. Are there any cheap scents that smell good? Bought in bulk in case it is discontinued tomorrow. Body wash+lotion+a drop of pure fragrance. Best oakmoss, sometimes after it has been burnt.

Aquarius -- not many of them are fragrance-lovers, really. Eccentric. Layering experiments. Cardamom, pepper, cloves, allspice. Fresh and fruity florals. Paco Rabanne. Gave it away. Wore _______ in the morning, changed into Burberry Brit for the night.

Pisces -- isn't it too much? Distinct. Sometimes extinct. Getting pleasure from even smelling the crowd in the theater, recognizing all the scents, too. Opinionated. Whimsical design. Love these heart notes. High voltage. Secret stash.

Sorry it was long.

Here

Currently wearing: Omnia Paraiba by Bulgari

Blog Entries

*APPLAUSE* for Timberwolf! That is / was brilliant! I have affinities with most of the signs that bear a strong presence in my chart ( even the ones I want to ignore).

OT for Timberwolf: What can I do to 'balance' my nature if I am 'missing' an element? For example a person has strong water and Air but lacks Fire & Earth - what can they do to 'fill in the gaps'? :-?

As a Sagittarius, I find that I'm more hung up on "concepts" and wanting to own those instead of the scents themselves. But as a conscious Sagittarius with a Capricorn rising and a chart otherwise full of so much Libra that I often feel like one... I'm also trying to cure myself of that and learn to trust my instincts instead of my projections. The zodiac challenge, if you will.

Obviously, I love Bandit. What an awesome concept: Pirate queens, dominatrixes, independence, dirt, smoke, sex, and screw the rest of the office if they don't like it! My nose eventually caught up to my brain with this one, but I definitely bought it unsniffed, was turned off at first, and then wore it until it made sense to me. Sagittarians are like that, though: playing catch-up with themselves constantly. Other than that, I'm obsessive about cedar, incense, and counterintuitively enough, gardenia.

My guess is that astrology is better at helping someone understand their approach to perfume in general as opposed to which specific perfumes they'd like.

BTW, hi everyone! Perfume and astrology... y'all sure know how to make a sucker out of me!

Blog Entries

Welcome SadieShade!!

That was a very honest frank and insightful first post. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    OK - let us put this to the test!

You can list a few of your 'typical' favourite perfumes or the types of perfume you go for and let us guess your Sun sign.

Or you could list your perfume preferences (see above) and your Sun sign and those of us with the John Oakes books (His Perfume Zodiac is more in depth and also has suggestions for the boys) can check see if you are 'typical', maybe even add to your list!

I already am an anomaly as I love perfume in all it's wide diversity and variations to be limited to a type but do find that I gravitate regularly to scents that fall under my RISING signs tastes. *

[*reading the first part of that comment makes me laugh because it is SO typical of my sun sign - LOL *:] *

So it isn't scientifically valid - but it will be fun!! *;D
    I've only seen the book on the antiquariat for 100$ and more...so I'd be really thankful if you also checked mine. I'm Gemini, rising sign Libra, and I guess I have to have many for the Gemini, and all my florals+musks for Libra. But any new ideas are always welcome thanks in advance
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.