Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Which scents do you love but never wear?

I routinely enjoy sniffing particular samples/decants, such as Etro Heliotrope, but I don't care to smell them over hours of time on myself. And yet, I don't want to swap or give them away either.

Which fragrances do you relish but never apply?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Which scents do you love but never wear?

Black Cashmere, Tam Dao and other sandal scents

Way too many LOLLL. 24 Faubourg, Coco, Parure, Estee. I keep forgetting that I have them. How that happens, I can't even guess.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Beautiful (it often feels too beautiful for me to compete ;D)
    Miracle So Magic (it's not so magic on me, but in the bottle)
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Why, oh why would you not wear a scent you love???

For me, its Fumerie Turque. I bet you all are getting tired of that one in all my posts! Its just georgeously sexy, but I am seldom dressed and made-up and going out on a hot date. But I've got a full bell bottle of it, ;D ;D so when the occasion arises, baby I'll be ready!!!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

For me it's mostly my favourite green scents - Private Collection, Ivoire and l'Ombre Dans l'Eau. I love them but am not in the mood to wear them often. Just to get a whiff of the scent from the bottle is enough sometimes though...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

For me, it's mostly long-time favorites that I don't want to be without, but that I don't reach for frequently anymore. Two that come to mind are Aliage and Fleur de Fleurs, both among my all-time favorites, but I guess I'm a little jaded by them now.

Quote Originally Posted by ^myself^
    Why, oh why would you not wear a scent you love???
    Because you love it too much to wear. :P

I've taken the advice of my seniors who've told me life is too short to keep on "preserving" all the things you find precious and not use them.

Yohji

The only reason why is that it is discontinued and I can't bear the thought of running out. :'(
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Antaeus. I love it so much, but it`s just too precious to be used (outside). It is my personal pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibiza Hippie
    Because you love it too much to wear. *:P
    This happens to me with Hiris Hermes
    Its the smell of the spring rain, when the air's transparent and wet
    is is filled with flowers and so tender and beautiful
    But I just cannot spray this beauty on myself

If you preserve it, one of the following things is going to happen:
    a)You get used to wearing something else wich you love more so this is not your favourite anymore
    b)It turns bad from being a long time in the bottle

Eitherway you dont get to enjoy it. I think it is the worst thing you can do. If you love something very much wear it and enjoy it. You will never like it more than now. If it runs out, then you must find something else, but if you preserfve it you still have to find something else AND you are not using it...

Quote Originally Posted by ^myself^
    If you preserve it, one of the following things is going to happen:
    a)You get used to wearing something else wich you love more so this is not your favourite anymore
    b)It turns bad from being a long time in the bottle

Eitherway you dont get to enjoy it. I think it is the worst thing you can do. If you love something very much wear it and enjoy it. You will never like it more than now. If it runs out, then you must find something else, but if you preserfve it you still have to find something else AND you are not using it...

Wow that argument was so convincing I think I will not waste another moment on not enjoying all of my favorites!!!! Ohh I’ve been GUILTY, so guilty of not wearing my favorites and hoarding them silly….. But that really is THE most convincing argument against that kind of thing I've ever heard….

So from now on I will wear my Eden, and my Boudoir and my Mauboussin and my Aimez Moi, and my FM Musc Ravageur and I will feel great and not guilty ever again

Thank you for that awesome advise!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Blog Entries

It was this same logic which allowed me to open and use without (too much) guilt, both my sealed mini bottle of vintage Chypre de Coty and my huge sealed bottle of vintage Caron Nuit de Noel.

I believe the beauty of things is in the experience of them and I truly believe perfume should be worn preferably on the skin - and often!

I almost breaks my heart to hear see bottles of exquisite perfums lost forever because someone chose to save it and never use it only for it to have gone stale never to delight. :'(

A telling story is that of a lady who denied herself much and collected silk stockings - always saving them for some distant 'special occassion' she had many beautiful pairs some dating as far back as the 1940's especially rare ones from before and during the war - all new, all unused.

Well one day she was burgled and the thieves took that collection. Darn near broke her heart. Now she would never be able to wear them for that special occasion and there were so many occassions that she had denied herself when she could have worn them.

Now she lives for today and makes sure that if she buys something special for herself she makes sure she uses it and enjoys good memories of it rather than wait until some elusive better time.

I would hate to have that happen to me concerning a perfume or anything else for that matter.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I love Joy, on other people.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

I've taken the advice of my seniors who've told me life is too short to keep on "preserving" all the things you find precious and not use them.
    Absolutely. Perfumes are consumables, so consume them.

True story: I'm American by birth and upbringing. Moved to Australia in 1999 and the culture shock isn't too bad, but there are a few foods I miss. When my husband went to the States on a conference, I asked him to bring back a few things for me, one of which was graham crackers. For some silly reason, I didn't eat them. I just kept them in the cupboard, happy to have them there, saving them for some mystical "special occasion" or something. Eventually, of course, they went bad (got weevils in them) and I had to throw out the whole box. I never even ate one of them.

That was when it finally got through to me: Use it while you have it, enjoy it while you can.

It holds true for perfume, for food (no need to be a glutton, of course, but if it's perishible, eat it before it perishes), for just about anything, really. Use it or lose it works in all kinds of situations. \

End of lecture. : ;D

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5