Code of Conduct

Default thumbs down to lartisan parfumeur

I went into the store today and tried every single frag (trying to buy my girlfriend a birthday present) and theyre all not very good at all!! and i tend to think i have very good taste in perfume!!!

does anyone else feel this way? it seems like this whole board is a bunch of l'artisan cult followers lol

Default Re: thumbs down to lartisan parfumeur

I love L'Artisan but I love a rose note, too. If rose is what smells best to you, L'Artisan won't be your favorite house.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

If you don't like them this is definitely not the line from which to buy your girlfriend a fragrance, LOL! My husband has never commented positively on any L'Artisan I've worn. I've owned three bottles of La Chasse aux Papillons, and his opinion of it is "it doesn't stink as bad as others." Personally, I'd rather receive something from Keiko Mecheri...in any case, don't buy something you don't like! :-)

No, I'm not a L'Artisan fan at all. The only one I've ever truly liked is Safran Troublant, but for the longest time it only came in an expensive coffret and I didn't care for the other two. Most of their other scents just don't seem to work on my skin. Either that or they are gone within 15 minutes. I know they have their fans though, so I tend to keep my mouth shut where L'Artisan threads are concerned.

I much prefer the niche house of Etro, but even then I think their fragrances are sometimes an 'acquired' taste.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I love L'Artisan. There are very few L'Artisan scents I wouldn't wear, and some are among my favorites. I particularly love some of the florals such as Mimosa pour Moi, La Haie Fleurie, La Chasse, and Orchidee Blanche. I don't love rose scents, but still think both Drole de Rose and Voleur de Rose are distinctive and worthy.

But buy what you like, by all means. I wouldn't want to be forced to have something from Escada, for example.

If a girl is going to wear Mimosa she might as well not wear anything at all ;D

everyone is entitled to their wrong opinions just kiddin'. LA are niche frags which mean not everyone is going to enjoy them or even like one of them.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    I went into the store today and tried every single frag (trying to buy my girlfriend a birthday present) and theyre all not very good at all!! and i tend to think i have very good taste in perfume!!!
    Just because you didn't find a L'Artisan fragrance that you like does not mean that "they're all not very good." It just means that you didn't find a L'Artisan fragrance that you like. And if you tried every single L'Artisan fragrance in the store, in one day, then you didn't test properly and it's no wonder that you didn't find anything you like.

it seems like this whole board is a bunch of l'artisan cult followers lol
    And you base that statement on what exactly? The enormous number of L'Artisan threads here on the female fragrance board?

Your statement is rude and your little "lol" doesn't make it less so. If you have no more sense or manners than that, then don't post on the female fragrance board.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    I love L'Artisan but I love a rose note, too. * If rose is what smells best to you, L'Artisan won't be your favorite house.
    What about Voleur de Roses. I think that it is a great rose smell. It is unisex and in a recent poll I took it was listed under the female side. I really like the L'Artisan line. That is just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    [quote author=Shycat link=1141090326/0#1 date=1141093469]I love L'Artisan but I love a rose note, too. * If rose is what smells best to you, L'Artisan won't be your favorite house.
    What about Voleur de Roses. I think that it is a great rose smell. It is unisex and in a recent poll I took it was listed under the female side. I really like the L'Artisan line. That is just my opinion...
    [/quote]

I think what Shycat was saying was that LA doesn't capture the quintessential "rose scent" that other houses spew out in huge numbers. *They have only two rose scents really and they are both in a unique frag mixture which IMO fall short of the great rose soliflore scents. *I would love to see a LA rose soliflore someday because I think they could do an incredible frag on par with Fleur de The Rose Bulgare and Ce Soir au Jamais.

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    [quote author=EnvYuS link=1141090326/0#7 date=1141097547][quote author=Shycat link=1141090326/0#1 date=1141093469]I love L'Artisan but I love a rose note, too. * If rose is what smells best to you, L'Artisan won't be your favorite house.
    [/quote]

I think what Shycat was saying was that LA doesn't capture the quintessential "rose scent" that other houses spew out in huge numbers. *They have only two rose scents really and they are both in a unique frag mixture which IMO fall short of the great rose soliflore scents. *I would love to see a LA rose soliflore someday because I think they could do an incredible frag on par with Fleur de The Rose Bulgare and Ce Soir au Jamais.[/quote]

Noseorgy, Have you tried Drole de Rose? It, in addition to Voleur de Rose, is gorgeous. Very different from Voleur...more the Victorian rose with a little bit of violet. You may love it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    [quote author=EnvYuS link=1141090326/0#7 date=1141097547][quote author=Shycat link=1141090326/0#1 date=1141093469]I love L'Artisan but I love a rose note, too. If rose is what smells best to you, L'Artisan won't be your favorite house.
    [/quote]

I think what Shycat was saying was that LA doesn't capture the quintessential "rose scent" that other houses spew out in huge numbers. They have only two rose scents really and they are both in a unique frag mixture which IMO fall short of great rose soliflore scents. I would love to see a LA rose soliflore someday.[/quote]

Exactly! Or even a friskier rose dominant something---but L'Artisan seems such a young contemporary fresh/hip house, and rose scents aren't a new concept. Hee, hee, that's where Parfums De Rosine comes in handy!!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    [quote author=Noseorgy link=1141090326/0#8 date=1141098110][quote author=EnvYuS link=1141090326/0#7 date=1141097547][quote author=Shycat link=1141090326/0#1 date=1141093469]I love L'Artisan but I love a rose note, too. * If rose is what smells best to you, L'Artisan won't be your favorite house.
    [/quote]

I think what Shycat was saying was that LA doesn't capture the quintessential "rose scent" that other houses spew out in huge numbers. *They have only two rose scents really and they are both in a unique frag mixture which IMO fall short of the great rose soliflore scents. *I would love to see a LA rose soliflore someday because I think they could do an incredible frag on par with Fleur de The Rose Bulgare and Ce Soir au Jamais.[/quote]

Noseorgy, *Have you tried Drole de Rose? *It, in addition to Voleur de Rose, is gorgeous. *Very different from Voleur...more the Victorian rose with a little bit of violet. *You may love it. :-)
    [/quote]

Yes I have...on many occasions...but to me, a rose frag should be a "soliflore" Anything else really takes away from it somehow. *Don't get me wrong...I like those scents and I love LA house, but they just haven't done the right rose frag yet. *Not the "bring me to my knees" rose frag anyways ;D

does anyone else feel this way? it seems like this whole board is a bunch of l'artisan cult followers lol

NO WAY!

Jean Laporte, Jean-Claude Ellena, Olivia Giacobetti. These people are creators of true beauty!

One of my favorite scents to wear during chilly weather is l'Artisan's Ambre Extreme. In the summer, Extrait de Songes is perfection. I haven't tried the entire line (there are more than 60 scents) but those are the only two from the line I want in a full-sized bottle. I take that back, I wouldn't mind having this bottle on my dresser: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...x=3&cmCat=
    After getting a call from a Barneys SA a few weeks ago, I foolishly bought a big bottle of Piment Brulant without bothering to try it first. The notes sounded SO GOOD: red pepper, chocolate, poppy, and clove, especially the way he described it. I should have considered the fact that everything smells amazing on him; he's blessed with fabulous chemistry. Unfortunately, on me there is no clove, no poppy and no chocolate. I just smelled like a giant bell pepper when I tried it on.
    I guess it all comes down to chemistry, and personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    [quote author=czesc link=1141090326/0#0 date=1141090326]I went into the store today and tried every single frag (trying to buy my girlfriend a birthday present) and theyre all not very good at all!! and i tend to think i have very good taste in perfume!!!
    Just because you didn't find a L'Artisan fragrance that you like does not mean that "they're all not very good." It just means that you didn't find a L'Artisan fragrance that you like. And if you tried every single L'Artisan fragrance in the store, in one day, then you didn't test properly and it's no wonder that you didn't find anything you like.

Do you dispute the fact that there is a universal good and bad? What if i never find a L'artisan frag I like? I only like things I truly like, If i dont like them 15 minutes into the fragrance, its not enough for me - there fore I dont like them. Its like drinking a juice that tastes like tobacco smoke but has a pleasant aftertaste. not good enough.

it seems like this whole board is a bunch of l'artisan cult followers lol
    And you base that statement on what exactly? The enormous number of L'Artisan threads here on the female fragrance board?

not the female board specifically but basenotes in general, reviews in the directory, etc - this was also clearly meant jokingly and im sure most people picked up on that.

Your statement is rude and your little "lol" doesn't make it less so. If you have no more sense or manners than that, then don't post on the female fragrance board.
    [/quote]

Its really not that bad, I dont think anyone else was truly offended. If you weren't a l'artisan fan, I dont think you would have replied to my message in this way either.

after all that was said, I still apologize.

No, you were simply forthright, Czec, and no one should be scolded for that; most adults are secure enough not to be offended merely by someone else having a differing opinion. If you do not care for something someone else does that is not a reflection on them or anyone else nor does it warrant a precitpitous leap to an interpretation of hostility (something absent in your post altogether.) If you were disappointed or mystified, you should, on a fragrance forum, be entitled to express that.

One would have thought that was welcome and why many are here.

And a humerous, light aside about the pro-L'Artisan status of many posters ought to be all right, too.

I quite like many L'Artrisan fragrances and have a lovely collection of their amber boules. But I can see and accept that someone else might be disappointed or just not in love. I am a fan and am not in the least offended or condemnatory nor think you rude for saying you are not or for noticing that LA does indeed get mentioned regulalry and often rhapsodically in many threads although not with the same level of devotion as Creed does on the men's forum. *

Did you try la Chasse aux Papillion? I know one very sexy young woman whose signature scent that is and she is madly, wildly pursued *by simply hordes of men who adore her fragrance. *Ah well, thank Goodness for diversity!

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey

I much prefer the niche house of Etro, but even then I think their fragrances are sometimes an 'acquired' taste.
    Etro Fragrances are as lovely as their superb, stylish clothing. Viccolo Fiori and Etra are two of my favorites.

Time for bed its 12:30!

If having high praise for original scents like Passage D'Enfer, Voleur de Rose, Mechant Loup and Timbuktu puts me in a cult, then call me Jim Jones!

Some of these scents might need a while to grow on you. Passage D'Enfer took me almost a week before I could even smell it. After the second wearing, I was blown away and didn't want to wear anything else. Voleur de Rose and Mechant Loup are highly original, beautiful, and unisex. Dzing is similar to Bulgari Black, but better.

Granted there are some scents by L'Artisan that I don't care for. Mure et Musc doesn't do much for me. Bois Farine smells like peanut butter-Not badm but not something a person would want to smell of. Patchouli Patch is so-so.

All in all, I consider L'Artisan one of my top three houses, just behind Comme des Garçons and YSL.

Ladylonestar

Do you dispute the fact that there is a universal good and bad?
    We're discussing L'Artisan fragrances.

What if i never find a L'artisan frag I like?
    Exactly my point. If you never find a L'Artisan fragrance you like, then you never find a L'Artisan fragrance you like. It still does not mean that "they're all not very good." I'm pretty sure it just means that you, so far, haven't found one you like. It might even mean that you simply don't care for L'Artisan fragrances in general. But it still doesn't mean that "they're all not very good."

I only like things I truly like, If i dont like them 15 minutes into the fragrance, its not enough for me - there fore I dont like them.
    I understand. And it still doesn't mean that they're all not very good. You just don't like them.

not the female board specifically but basenotes in general, reviews in the directory, etc - ...
    Well, perhaps you should have chosen your words a little more carefully rather than making such a grand assumption. I don't believe you've been around Basenotes long enough to make such a statement, even if there may be a large number of L'Artisan fans on Basenotes.

...this was also clearly meant jokingly and im sure most people picked up on that.
    Well, it wasn't clear to me and I don't believe you're qualified to determine that "most people picked up on that" anymore than you're qualified to determine that "this whole board is a bunch of L'Artisan cult followers." I think you're making quite a few assumptions.

I dont think anyone else was truly offended.
    Another assumption.

If you weren't a l'artisan fan, I dont think you would have replied to my message in this way either.
    Wrong again. Another assumption. I don't appreciate sweeping generalizations. There are some L'Artisan fragrances that I love, some that I like, and some that I don't like at all.

after all that was said, I still apologize.
    Thank you. I do appreciate that and I appreciate your taking the time to explain your comments. So now that we've said all of this, it would be best to continue any further off-topic conversation privately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    What if i never find a L'artisan frag I like?
    Exactly my point. *If you never find a L'Artisan fragrance you like, then you never find a L'Artisan fragrance you like. *It still does not mean that "they're all not very good." *I'm pretty sure it just means that you, so far, haven't found one you like. *It might even mean that you simply don't care for L'Artisan fragrances in general. *But it still doesn't mean that "they're all not very good."

I only like things I truly like, If i dont like them 15 minutes into the fragrance, its not enough for me - there fore I dont like them.
    I understand. *And it still doesn't mean that they're all not very good. *You just don't like them.

[/quote]

I have to agree with the above.

First of all your sampling was a little skewed ( because who can differentiate smells after being saturated with at least 15 of them? Tops is 4-5 different ones and that's pushing it)

Second , L'artisan is admired - if not loved- by its fans for its originality and concept as well as the beauty of the fragrances. Many of the scents you smell in the department store and on other niche brands were "inspired" by L'artisan frarances.
    When Mure et Musc came out , no one had thought of enhancing the blackberry aspects of musk ingredients in such a way. (Trish Mc Evoy followed with her #9...)
    When Premier Figuier came out , no one was into figs ( witness Marc Jacobs men....)
    When Passage d'enfer came out , there was no vogue for incense scents ( and then an avalanche followed.....)
    When Voleur de Roses came out, no one had combined rose with patchouli in such an unapologetic manner.
    When Dzing! , Bois Farine , Tea for two etc came out , these were all firsts. Original ideas with innovative compositions.
    A respect for that is also at the base of one's appreciation of the company.
    Not to mention the whole presentation which is very artfully executed.

Now , don't get me wrong.
    I don't like some of their scents either. I wouldn't wear them myself. But that doesn't mean I think they are "all not very good".
    If you don't like any of them , there is no reason to buy any of them. And to voice your opinion is valid if not generalising. Comments that reflect opinion are always appreciated , but sweeping generalisations may come in as a bit " inflammatory"

BTW , if you think the board is full of L'artisan fans , please don't go into Lutens territory. You'll get scared....

I haven't seen L'Artisan perfumes around here where I live, which is riduculuos, being closer to Paris than new York, f.e., but that's life :-/
    After I've read so many complementing comments here on basenotes I ordered 2 which seemed to be most often mentioned scents,
    Mimosa pour Moi and Premier Figuier.
    I can't say I loved them, tho they are very pleasant, fresh but not plane, that charming sort of scents.
    My impression was that they didn't work on my (quite dry) skin, turning too subtle too soon.
    I'm not an airy fairy type of girl :'( :'( :'(

Not that eveyone wearing LA IS an airy fairy... ;D

I've read recently on the male fragrance forum, that women put cotton balls dripping they best loved perfume in *their BRAS to attract more attention!!! *> : :P

Now how do you find this, is it not worth trying?! ;D ;D ;D
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

you're crazy.

kidding. i love l'artisan, but to each their own.

you are crazy though.

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    If having high praise for original scents like Passage D'Enfer, Voleur de Rose, Mechant Loup and Timbuktu puts me in a cult, then call me Jim Jones!

Some of these scents might need a while to grow on you. Passage D'Enfer took me almost a week before I could even smell it. After the second wearing, I was blown away and didn't want to wear anything else. Voleur de Rose and Mechant Loup are highly original, beautiful, and unisex. Dzing is similar to Bulgari Black, but better.

Granted there are some scents by L'Artisan that I don't care for. Mure et Musc doesn't do much for me. Bois Farine smells like peanut butter-Not badm but not something a person would want to smell of. Patchouli Patch is so-so.

All in all, I consider L'Artisan one of my top three houses, just behind Comme des Garçons and YSL.
    Passage d'enfer I actually like. In this post I was talking specifically about the ones I sampled in the store (the women's ones). If you like passage you should really sample Lalique's equus! its an obvious rip-off but a a pretty good one ! as far as mechant loup, I purchased a 100ml of it blindly and ive been trying to get rid of it since, serene doghair and hazelnuts Haven't smelled Dzing yet

Don't apologize because you don't like a fragrance line, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There are quite a few 'lines' I just don't get. L'artisan though, I think has gorgeous scents but that's just how I feel. The Mure et Musc is lovely and fruity with musk that is just so unlike other berry musk scents, their Vanilia is the sexiest vanilla I've ever had the chance to smell without adding the horrible patchoulli note, their florals...omg their florals are as true as a floral can get(however fleeting), Merchant Loup is just warm and heavenly especially on a man(it's a scent a couple could share). They also work really well on the sensitive person, such as moi. No allergic reaction.

Don't feel bad they didn't work for you, there's tons out there to try, shrug and move on. I have a hard time with Creed but their following is cult status. To each their own. :

I must say that overall I am not a fan of l'artisan at all. There are a couple that I admire but would never wear. The fragrances of this house just don't jive with me at all and believe me, I have tested everyone on more than one occasion both at home and in Neimans. Nothing has truely captivated me from this house. I must say that I don't even like the bottles very well, especially the labeling. This is my opinion of course an perhaps one day I might feel different but I don't foresee it. Some of the fragrances give a jab at being complex so, I suppose there are some admiring folks out there but here again, I just cannot get into them and some smell downwright rancid to me.