Code of Conduct

Default Mixing classics with other perfumes.

There is this great article in the december issue of french Marie Claire about mixing fragrances together. The writer of the article Nolwenn du Lat (with the help of noses Francis Kurkdjian and Antoine Maisondieu) gives quite a few examples. She says it's agreat way to see a beloved signature scent in a new way or to create a more personal sillage.

Here is the list. I'm not going to go in all the details because it's often rather obvious way such and such will work together. Each classic or contemporary classic has it's matching fragrance for either day or night. The day mix often brightens the original perfume while the night mix usually accentuates the original notes.

Shalimar:
    Day: with Eau d'Hadrien or Cologne Mugler.
    Night: withMusc Ravageur by Frédéric Malle or with just a bit of B*Men(!)

L'Heure Bleue:
    Day: with Un Jardin en Méditéranée by Hermès
    Night: with Voile d'Ambre by Yves Rocher or Nu by YSL

L'Air du Temps:
    Day: Thé Vert by Bulgari
    Night: Eternity by Calvin Klein

N°5:
    Day: Acqua di Parma Colognia
    Night: Musc Ravageur or the make it less floral Féminité du Bois by Shiseido

N°19:
    Day: Mure et Musc, Hiris by Hermès, Déclaration or L'Eau de Cartier
    Night: Lolita Lempicka or L'Eau Ivre N°3 by IUNX

Joy:
    Day: Blush by Marc Jacobs or Rose Barbare by Guerlain (only available at The House of Guerlain Champs Elysées)
    Night: Kiehl's Musk

Opium:
    Day: Jardin sur le Nil
    Night: Hermessence Poivre Samarcande or Féminité du Bois

Paris:
    Day: Hermessence Rose Ikebana or Sa Majesté La Rose by Serge Lutens
    Night: Cuir Améthyste by Armani Privé.

Giorgio Beverly Hills:
    D: Rem by Reminiscence (a marin note like Aqua Motu)
    N: L'Instant by Guerlain... that must be very, very, very strong!

Diorissimo:
    D: Cologne Mugler
    N: Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma or Castelbaljac (both almond-based)

I have combinations for 7 other classics...
    Should I go on?

Default Re: Mixing classics with other perfumes.

Yes, yes, please do go on, Cedric, this is very interesting!
    Thanks for sharing!
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Go on, Cedric!
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Ok.

Féminité du Bois:
    D: Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès (tried that this afternoon and it works very well)
    N: Angel or Rush

Eau d'Issey:
    D: Anaïs Anaïs (both have Hyacinth)
    N: Rem by Réminiscence (to make it even more watery)

Narisco Rodriguez:
    D: Fleurs d'Oranger by L'Artisan (I think it would be even better with Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens)
    N: Aromatics Elixir

Ambre Sultan:
    D: Eau d'Hadrien
    N: Gaultier² (Col? did you read that?!!!)

Mure et Musc Extrême:
    D: Pleasures
    N: Rahät Loukoum by Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido.

Lolita Lempicka:
    D: Violettes de Toulouse by Berdoues
    N: Angel

Trésor:
    D: Promesse by Cacharel or Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker
    N: Vanille Passion by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

The rules:
    Always let the first layer dry before spraying the second fragrance over it. You can also put the most concentrated perfume on your skin and the lightest on your clothes.
    When mixing perfumes either brighten the topnotes with a fresh citrussy edt or accentuate on of the main ingrediants, for example Joy and Blush are jasmine-based.

Have fun!

This is great! Can't wait to test some of it tomorrow. Poor people in my office!
    Thanks again, Cedric!

This is like a free perfume masterclass. Thanks man!
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Nice piece of news, thanx!
    The only combination I can do is Lolita + Angel, but I'll try!

Great topic; very, very interesting!

[smiley=dankk2.gif] [smiley=kiss.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif]

Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Blog Entries

This is BRILLIANT!

Could we continue this thread with personally recommended mixes and feedback as to whether they 'work'?

I must admit that I am even more desperate to get my hands on certain decants / samples of perfumes just so I can mix and match - I am a frustrated perfumer at heart! :P

Jicky:
    D: Shalimar au legere
    N: Moschino Moschino

Aromatics Elixir:
    D: Ma Griffe (like Cabochard without the leather)
    N: Paloma Picasso or Fendi or Must de Cartier (Chypre heaven)

Musc Ravageur:
    D: Diesel Plus Plus Feminine (Terry's chocolate orange)
    N: Body Shop Amorito (sublime - already a personal favourite)

L'Heure Bleue:
    D: Crown Perfumery Marechale
    N: Ysatis

Femme:
    D: Pierre Cardin Choc (F)
    N: Feminitie du Bois

Must de Cartier:
    D: Eau d'Hadrian or Shalimar au legere
    N: Body Shop Vanilla perfume oil or Shalimar

Ysatis:
    D: Gucci Accenti
    N: GF Gianfranco Ferre (deep, rich floral)

Terracotta Voile D'Ete:
    D: Body Shop Woody Sandalwood perfume oil of Yardley Sandalwood
    N: Fendi or Coco (very golden, baroque, amber) or Dana Raffinee (very smooth)

Nahema:
    D: Coty L'aimant
    N: Rochas Femme or Gucci Accenti

L'Heure Bleue:
    D: Rochas Lumiere
    N: GF Gianfranco Ferre (deep, rich floral)

ooppsss got a little carried away there - This is just so much fun - lol ;D

Long may this thread continue...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Interersting combos. I rarely layer, but something that works very well is to put a leather fragrance (the simpler the better. Etro Gomma is perfect) over vanillic orientals (Shalimar, Musc Ravageur) to cut down the sweetness and make them smokier.

Have said this somewhere before, but here is the personal layering combo of Wallis Simpson:
    L'Heure Bleue over Mitsouko. I tried it and it is quite interesting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Interersting combos. I rarely layer, but something that works very well is to put a leather fragrance (the simpler the better. Etro Gomma is perfect) over vanillic orientals (Shalimar, Musc Ravageur) to cut down the sweetness and make them smokier.
    This sounds just what I need - but could you please recommend a few more mainstream simple leather scents that would also work (either male or female)?

Thank you in advance.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    [quote author=Concord link=1132862116/0#9 date=1132909016]Interersting combos. I rarely layer, but something that works very well is to put a leather fragrance (the simpler the better. Etro Gomma is perfect) over vanillic orientals (Shalimar, Musc Ravageur) to cut down the sweetness and make them smokier.
    This sounds just what I need - but could you please recommend a few more mainstream simple leather scents that would also work (either male or female)?

Thank you in advance. *[/quote]

The only other one I tried layering with is Knize Ten, which isn't too expensive. Maybe others can suggest something else? Demeter has a few leather scents, but I don't know if they last much.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe
    But I have also passed by the store to sprinkle on some Aqua allegoria lilia Bella on top of the Vetiver, and it worked fine.
    This works really well; I would consider it a daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Should I go on?
    Yes!!! Thank you, Cedric. * Is vetiver too 'sporty' to be layered into a nighttime?

Interesting thread! Thanks for posting!

Just today I ended up layering Bellodgia with Tabac Blond. It turned out surprisingly nice. It accented the carnation in the latter and made it a tad fresher and creamier.

I especially appreciate the layering tips for L'Heure Bleure. While I have an unending soft spot for it, I wear it less than I would like, as sometimes it's more sweet and nostalgic than what I want, though at the same time craving that L'Heure Bleue evocativeness.

Loving this thread. Can't wait to try some of these

May I add, I read somewhere, perhaps on this board, that Cher used to layer Oscar de la Renta & Shalimar- this was suposedly the inspiration for her signiture fragrance, now sadly discontiuned & now fetching sky high prices on ebay

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by perfumefanatic
    May I add, I read somewhere, perhaps on this board, that Cher used to layer Oscar de la Renta & Shalimar- this was suposedly the inspiration for her signiture fragrance, now sadly discontiuned & now fetching sky high prices on ebay
    Hmmm... I have an article that talks about Cher's inspiration for Uninhibited (and I hesitate to quote it because I lost the source to give credit): "'I had a perfume I'd been wearing since 1972. It's concoction of two different perfumes, Vanilla by Jean Laporte and a really, really cheap perfume called Ritz by Charles of the Ritz,' she said. While Uninhibited is not an exact replication, Cher said, it 'has the same idea.'"

Probably a simple way, but I wonder what it would be like to take a parfum and mix it with an EDP of the same fragrance. Not really all that creative, but might be an idea for Coco...
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Thanks for a very "bookmark-able" topic, cedriceccentric.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    [quote author=perfumefanatic link=1132862116/15#17 date=1134178827]May I add, I read somewhere, perhaps on this board, that Cher used to layer Oscar de la Renta & Shalimar- this was suposedly the inspiration for her signiture fragrance, now sadly discontiuned & now fetching sky high prices on ebay
    Hmmm... I have an article that talks about Cher's inspiration for Uninhibited (and I hesitate to quote it because I lost the source to give credit): "'I had a perfume I'd been wearing since 1972. It's concoction of two different perfumes, Vanilla by Jean Laporte and a really, really cheap perfume called Ritz by Charles of the Ritz,' she said. While Uninhibited is not an exact replication, Cher said, it 'has the same idea.'"
    [/quote]

Now I remember I read that about Cher mixing Oscar & Shalimar on the POL board sometime back.

Interestingly enough, I seem to recall that Charles of the Ritz was similar to Oscar? And if it was mixed with a vanilla fragrance that would be a lot like Shalimar. I do have a bottle of Charles of the Ritz I could experiment with, just for fun

The combo of Oscar & Shalimar is worthwhile in anycase

Zagorsk layered over Bal a Versailles. If it was clothes it would be a pale green taffeta coat over a forest green velvet gown.

Fascinating thread.

I've never tried layering, now I have to look at what I need to purchase so I can join in the fun.

Being a vanilla fan, I often use TBS vanilla body lotion under almost every scent that has a vanilla note in it.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Thank you, cedriceccentic, for a very interesting topic!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

yes, this was very interesting, ce. thanks.

i am stumped personally though.

i do not much care for many of the classics. i confess to an intrinsic distrust of guerlains. they all smell somewhat the same and after one hour, one smells axactly like another. at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by baiesbaby
    yes, this was very interesting, ce. *thanks.

i am stumped personally though.

i do not much care for many of the classics. *i confess to an intrinsic distrust of guerlains. they all smell somewhat the same and after one hour, one smells axactly like another. at least to me.

I too have to confess that I thik about them old Guerlains as You doo, baiesbaby. Perhaps they just do not fit me!

I can´t mix as cedric suggest, I don´t own the suggested fragances either. But I can make other mixes.

I have tried L´Instant de Guerlain (2003) and then City Glam by Armani (2005) above. It became quite nice. Compared to colours you might say it´s like frosty deep lilac dressed in frosty lilac-pink. This could be a way for me to use L´Instant more often. It is sometimes too extreme to wear.

I made this mix, my very first one, inspired of this topic. So once again, thank you, cedric!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

it's really fascinating and the endless opportunities...

I wish I could AFFORD buying the classics. Generally I agree with baiesbaby and Margareta: the old scents smell very similar to me after some time. But then, I only ever test EdT because that's what you get in the shop to sample :-/I love my Youth Dew and might experiment with it.

I don't have much experience with layering, but what I do often, is mixing TBS White Musk with other perfumes, simply because I love musk! it works well most of the time, giving that certain muskyness that I often miss in floral scents.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    I'm going to have to try this, it might make orientals palatable to me again. It's very inconvenient for me to have gone off them, when I live in a wintry climate.

The L'Heure Bleue combinations, with Nu and Marechale, also sound promising. I have a love/hate relationship with LHB.

Basenotes Plus

Inspired by this tread, I layered L'Huere Bleue & Lorenzo Villoresi's Sandalo. That was quite nice!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Okay. I just did this: Sunflowers (let it dry) then Diorissimo on top. REALLY interesting, almost a bit spicy, which is a surprise. Still very floral, and carnation-y, but... definitely interesting.

Oh, it's sort of semi on the topic of this thread. I believe that Shalimar was created by adding vanillin to Jicky, "to see what would happen".

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bonni Hall
    Okay. I just did this: Oh, it's sort of semi on the topic of this thread. I believe that Shalimar was created by adding vanillin to Jicky, "to see what would happen".

bonni
    Yes , that's the official Guerlain myth about it (which I find a bit far-fetched , but that's JMO) , but it definitely has other elements apart from the vanillin also in the formula.
    It just isn't that simple. Just a side-note.

Well, the idea of just putting some vanillin in a pre-existing formula and getting something like Shalimar does seem pretty magical. Still, it's a good story. Does Jicky have that strong oppanox (what's the name of that substance, anyway)? That's the thing about Shalimar that immediately turns me off.

Still, what could I layer with Shalimar to make it more... palatable? I want to like it, I really want to, but that myrrh is just too overpowering and I can't get past it. *shudder*

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Love this thread! Lots of interesting ideas to try!
    (I can't bring myself to mix my beloved L'air du Temps with Eternity, though. Eternity, while lovely on some, is a "stinker" on me.)

My MIL (may she rest in peace) enjoyed mixing scents, and created combinations that got many compliments from others--I don't know if she ever revealed her secret combinations to others. One of her favorites involved two Avon scents that are now discontinued.

Charles of the Ritz perfume certainly did smell a lot like Oscar signature. I remember when Uninhibited first came out--of course, already being a fragrance lover at that time, I was one of the first to "sniff" it. I think, right from the beginning, that it's chances of survival were questionable--for I had two SA's telling me that if I liked Cher I would like the fragrance--it seemed that they had already formed an opinion that it was a "very sweet" flamboyant scent which some would love and some would not. I did like it, though, and bought a bottle, but I didn't like it enough to repurchase when it was still easily available. Since then, there have been innumerable gourmand scents. Perhaps Uninhibited was ahead of its time and would have been more likely to succeed in today's market!

Enjoing this thread very much! Thanks to Cedric for starting it...

I too have done some simple layering in the past: Shalimar over a film of sandalwood essential oil (have always gotten compliments with this one, but then again I tend to usually get compliments with Shalimar,) Joy over a light jasmine and I tend to layer all fragrances from the house of Etro. I too think Gomma is a good, simple, pure leather to layer with other things.

This thread is making me feel more adventurous though: I'm now dying to try:

Jil Sander No 4 over Norma Kamali Incence
    Lolita Lempicka under Gomma
    Fracas under Gomma
    Fracas over Norma Kamali Incence
    Pink Sugar over Norma Kamali Incence
    Boudoir over Madini's Azahar
    Joy over Attar Bazaar's Sudanese Black Rose

Also am willing to try the suggestion of Must de Cartier and Shalimar eau Legere- I find I haven't been wearing my Must much lately and this would be a good way to try it out again.

One that does NOT work well is Casmir over Coco- very, very bad! I know Chanel No 19 was mentioned and it actually sounded like it might work- but I have a hard time even thinking of combining Chanels with other things. They are such complete compositions in and of themselves. I'd be curious to hear anyone's successes or failures with layering Chanels.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

My secound mix was Lovely by SJP over Prada. It became very nice! Both are sort of "dry" fragances, not sweet at all. The result had a little sweetnes, thoug. But just a little.

Wow, this is really, really fun!

My third mix was Lovely by SJP above Estee Lauder Pleasures Exotic, an exotic fruity scent, not so sweet. This mix turned out very well, too.

I´m beginning to think that Lovely is really great to put above other not so very sweet fraganses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonni Hall
    *Does Jicky have that strong oppanox (what's the name of that substance, anyway)? That's the thing about Shalimar that immediately turns me off.

Still, what could I layer with Shalimar to make it more... palatable? I want to like it, I really want to, but that myrrh is just too overpowering and I can't get past it. *shudder*

bonni
    Depends on what formulation of Shalimar you're using.

Jicky has prominent amber and civet.
    Shalimar has opopanax .

I think you would be safe if you layered some "clean" musk or other "clean -smelling"oil
    under the Shalimar. I use Musk for her by NR for these situations. It mellows anything difficult.
    Maybe a little more vanilla might round it off for you?
    Or else go for the Shalimar Light ( a good variation for once!)