Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Mixing classics with other perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Interersting combos. I rarely layer, but something that works very well is to put a leather fragrance (the simpler the better. Etro Gomma is perfect) over vanillic orientals (Shalimar, Musc Ravageur) to cut down the sweetness and make them smokier.
    I'm going to have to try this, it might make orientals palatable to me again. It's very inconvenient for me to have gone off them, when I live in a wintry climate.

The L'Heure Bleue combinations, with Nu and Marechale, also sound promising. I have a love/hate relationship with LHB.

Blog Entries

Inspired by this tread, I layered L'Huere Bleue & Lorenzo Villoresi's Sandalo. That was quite nice!
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Okay. I just did this: Sunflowers (let it dry) then Diorissimo on top. REALLY interesting, almost a bit spicy, which is a surprise. Still very floral, and carnation-y, but... definitely interesting.

Oh, it's sort of semi on the topic of this thread. I believe that Shalimar was created by adding vanillin to Jicky, "to see what would happen".

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bonni Hall
    Okay. I just did this: Oh, it's sort of semi on the topic of this thread. I believe that Shalimar was created by adding vanillin to Jicky, "to see what would happen".

bonni
    Yes , that's the official Guerlain myth about it (which I find a bit far-fetched , but that's JMO) , but it definitely has other elements apart from the vanillin also in the formula.
    It just isn't that simple. Just a side-note.

Well, the idea of just putting some vanillin in a pre-existing formula and getting something like Shalimar does seem pretty magical. Still, it's a good story. Does Jicky have that strong oppanox (what's the name of that substance, anyway)? That's the thing about Shalimar that immediately turns me off.

Still, what could I layer with Shalimar to make it more... palatable? I want to like it, I really want to, but that myrrh is just too overpowering and I can't get past it. *shudder*

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Love this thread! Lots of interesting ideas to try!
    (I can't bring myself to mix my beloved L'air du Temps with Eternity, though. Eternity, while lovely on some, is a "stinker" on me.)

My MIL (may she rest in peace) enjoyed mixing scents, and created combinations that got many compliments from others--I don't know if she ever revealed her secret combinations to others. One of her favorites involved two Avon scents that are now discontinued.

Charles of the Ritz perfume certainly did smell a lot like Oscar signature. I remember when Uninhibited first came out--of course, already being a fragrance lover at that time, I was one of the first to "sniff" it. I think, right from the beginning, that it's chances of survival were questionable--for I had two SA's telling me that if I liked Cher I would like the fragrance--it seemed that they had already formed an opinion that it was a "very sweet" flamboyant scent which some would love and some would not. I did like it, though, and bought a bottle, but I didn't like it enough to repurchase when it was still easily available. Since then, there have been innumerable gourmand scents. Perhaps Uninhibited was ahead of its time and would have been more likely to succeed in today's market!

Enjoing this thread very much! Thanks to Cedric for starting it...

I too have done some simple layering in the past: Shalimar over a film of sandalwood essential oil (have always gotten compliments with this one, but then again I tend to usually get compliments with Shalimar,) Joy over a light jasmine and I tend to layer all fragrances from the house of Etro. I too think Gomma is a good, simple, pure leather to layer with other things.

This thread is making me feel more adventurous though: I'm now dying to try:

Jil Sander No 4 over Norma Kamali Incence
    Lolita Lempicka under Gomma
    Fracas under Gomma
    Fracas over Norma Kamali Incence
    Pink Sugar over Norma Kamali Incence
    Boudoir over Madini's Azahar
    Joy over Attar Bazaar's Sudanese Black Rose

Also am willing to try the suggestion of Must de Cartier and Shalimar eau Legere- I find I haven't been wearing my Must much lately and this would be a good way to try it out again.

One that does NOT work well is Casmir over Coco- very, very bad! I know Chanel No 19 was mentioned and it actually sounded like it might work- but I have a hard time even thinking of combining Chanels with other things. They are such complete compositions in and of themselves. I'd be curious to hear anyone's successes or failures with layering Chanels.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

My secound mix was Lovely by SJP over Prada. It became very nice! Both are sort of "dry" fragances, not sweet at all. The result had a little sweetnes, thoug. But just a little.

Wow, this is really, really fun!

My third mix was Lovely by SJP above Estee Lauder Pleasures Exotic, an exotic fruity scent, not so sweet. This mix turned out very well, too.

I´m beginning to think that Lovely is really great to put above other not so very sweet fraganses.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonni Hall
    *Does Jicky have that strong oppanox (what's the name of that substance, anyway)? That's the thing about Shalimar that immediately turns me off.

Still, what could I layer with Shalimar to make it more... palatable? I want to like it, I really want to, but that myrrh is just too overpowering and I can't get past it. *shudder*

bonni
    Depends on what formulation of Shalimar you're using.

Jicky has prominent amber and civet.
    Shalimar has opopanax .

I think you would be safe if you layered some "clean" musk or other "clean -smelling"oil
    under the Shalimar. I use Musk for her by NR for these situations. It mellows anything difficult.
    Maybe a little more vanilla might round it off for you?
    Or else go for the Shalimar Light ( a good variation for once!)