Code of Conduct

Default Some thoughts on Tocade

I have been wearing Tocade since last night. It is usually a bedtime scenet for me - I consider it a comfort scent. Most of the times when I worn it during the day it turned to be too sweet. But today I worn it again - in fact I even re-applied (just for fun, it was still strong enough). As linear as it is, I never find it boring. It's abstract, not quite evoking any particular image or emotions besides just being very comfortable to wear. I know some consider Tocade to be strong. It's soft and cuddly on me, yet clean and fresh - with the bergamot and the somewhat soapy notes; the notes are also for the most part artifical which in this context creates a feeling of a comforting distance - like knowing you are in a safe, civilized place where all the obvious things are easily available... Much like "escaping" from an adventrureous hike in a stormy weather and checking into a cozy motel on the way, surprised to find out there are still freshly laudnered towels and sheets in this world, and hot running water...
    The rose lingers on and on, but is never quite obvious until hours through the scent. The powdery vanilla and amber notes balance it out while the bergamot makes it clean and polite with only an understated, somewhat sleepy sensuality of an inviting flanel pyjamas...
    It's not a "big scent" - but one that I really enjoy for those times when I need a perfume that is simple, pretty and not overly stimulating or intellectual and does not stir up emotions that are so deep you feel you will drown in.

Curious to hear how you perceive it...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Default Re: Some thoughts on Tocade

Isn't that great that we sometimes re-evaluate what we have been having for years and see it in a new light? Great review, Ayala, and I like Tocade too for these same qualities. Thanks for reminding. :-*

I tried it a while back expecting it to be quite sparkling but on my skin, it turned quite dull. I read that the Turin chap quite liked it and he had raved about it. Perhaps bells should have gone off in my head and warned me that his tastes and mine differ greatly.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Tocade... Reminds me soo much of Desire Dunhill for women, only without the green note in it... I love it though.... created by Maurice Roucel as was I believe Desire some five or so years later
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Ladylonestar

I think, Ayala, you have captured Tocade perfectly. At least for me you have. This has to be the best review of Tocade I've read to date. I know we discussed it briefly in your Ormonde Jayne fragrance reviews in relation to its similarity to Ta'if. I stated that where Tocade becomes too much, Ta'if is more "me". However, I think I've finally learned how to wear Tocade. In the past I would over apply and it would become overwhelmingly sweet, loud and grating. Just this past week I was decanting some Tocade and I sprayed just a little on my arm. I was amazed at its beautiful simplicity -- just a very dry, powdery vanilla amber, yet the amber has an aged quality to it, I think, and I was captivated by its dryness. Also, I had in the past thought the bottle was somewhat ridiculous. However, I even found myself marveling over the bottle and enjoying its look and feel.

Thanks, Ayala. It's always a pleasure to read your reviews. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I love these kinds of reveiws- thanks Ayala.

I remember trying Tocad several years ago. On me it was very much a romantic, rose/vanilla. To me it has the feel of a vintage-style fragrance. Not a "big" or overly complex fragrance like what I consider some of the Carons to be, but sort of nostalgic and of a different time and place. On me it was sweet, yet opulent and overly dressy- I felt I had nothing really to wear with it- somehow perhaps it was not quite "me." However, unlike some other fragrances that I have ultimately had to dismiss, Tocade has always stuck in my mind as a very romantic fragrance. Itís the kind of perfume you wear with your sweetheart on Valentine's Day while swathed in a red, crushed velvet gown, hair neatly done-up, diamond drop earrings and the slimmest of strappy high heels (opera gloves are perhaps optional- but would be great if you have them!)
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Hello, I'm delighted to hear you love Tocade. Rochas is one of the finest fragrance makers. I think it really suits blondes and redheds . The fruit esters on the top shimmer and sparkle don't they. Have you tried Deci Dela by Nina Ricci?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf
    Isn't that great that we sometimes re-evaluate what we have been having for years and see it in a new light?
    Timberwolf, I am really happy I can wear it during the day too... Sometimes a comfort scent is needed than too!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    I tried it a while back expecting it to be quite sparkling but on my skin, it turned quite dull. I read that the Turin chap quite liked it and he had raved about it. Perhaps bells should have gone off in my head and warned me that his tastes and mine differ greatly.
    Barry - this must be skin chemistry...Yours must be too princely and delicate for such concoctions. It does have a very sparkling opening on me. However, while Femme IS the MASTERPIECE from the house of Rochas (IMHO), this is the well made, pretty perfume, and very chic. It is very similar to another creation by Maurice Roucel - non other than l'Instant de Guerlain. I will not be surprised if l'Instant is based on the Tocade formula - with the magnolia notes pumped up and tweaked with modern cristalline ambers and the famous citrus honey note...

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess Dreams
    Tocade... Reminds me soo much of Desire Dunhill for women, only without the green note in it... I love it though.... created by Maurice Roucel as was I believe Desire some five or so years later
    Goddess Dreams, you are right - it is by Roucel as well. I never smelled it but the notes are (from the Perfume Addicts database):
    Top: Bergamot, Magnolia, Rosewood
    Heart: Freesia, Tiarť Flower, Liquorice
    Base: Amber, Vanilla, Musk
    I see the similarity - continiuing again to play with the amber-vanilla-magnolia-bergamot accord... I should check out Desire when I get the first chance (though I don't recall seeing it anywhere recently).
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    I think, Ayala, you have captured Tocade perfectly. At least for me you have. This has to be the best review of Tocade I've read to date...
    Thank you LadyLoneStar for liking my reviews *blush*

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    However, I think I've finally learned how to wear Tocade. In the past I would over apply and it would become overwhelmingly sweet, loud and grating. Just this past week I was decanting some Tocade and I sprayed just a little on my arm. I was amazed at its beautiful simplicity -- just a very dry, powdery vanilla amber, yet the amber has an aged quality to it, I think, and I was captivated by its dryness. Also, I had in the past thought the bottle was somewhat ridiculous. However, I even found myself marveling over the bottle and enjoying its look and feel.

Thanks, Ayala. It's always a pleasure to read your reviews. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Yes, it feelst does simple and clean - and the bergamot on the opening is rather dry.

As for the bottle - I am in minority here. I have a soft spot for this pagoda-shape bottle, as clowny as it may be. I really adored it when it just came out! But back than I did not like the scent as much as I do now... Tastes change... I wouldn't buy it for the bottle now, but I did for the scent...

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    I love these kinds of reveiws- thanks Ayala.

I remember trying Tocad several years ago. On me it was very much a romantic, rose/vanilla. To me it has the feel of a vintage-style fragrance. Not a "big" or overly complex fragrance like what I consider some of the Carons to be, but sort of nostalgic and of a different time and place. On me it was sweet, yet opulent and overly dressy- I felt I had nothing really to wear with it (...) Itís the kind of perfume you wear with your sweetheart on Valentine's Day while swathed in a red, crushed velvet gown, hair neatly done-up, diamond drop earrings and the slimmest of strappy high heels (opera gloves are perhaps optional- but would be great if you have them!)
    I think Tocade goes with anything, but for me the dressiest thing I will wear it with will be jeans and pearls... It's my pygama scent more than anything else, so I hope you forgive me for dressing it down so much... All the same, it's romantic - pyjamas or gowns, hair up or down... I remember reading somewhere about a woman who both her and her husband wore Tocade when they met, and that's how they celebrate their anniversaries from than on... She was an actress or a model that I don't know, so I can't remember her name...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer

Quote Originally Posted by juliasperfumery
    Hello, I'm delighted to hear you love Tocade. Rochas is one of the finest fragrance makers. I think it really suits blondes and redheds . The fruit esters on the top shimmer and sparkle don't they. Have you tried Deci Dela by Nina Ricci?
    Julia, I never tried Deci Dela. Wasn't it discontinued? I haven't seen it in a while...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer

Skin chemistry Ayala???????? What are you talking about? According to that Turin chappie, it has nothing to do with it, there is no such thing, all scents smell the same on everybody............tee hee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my colleagues always wears Deci Dela, it smells lovely on her.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Prince, Thanks for reminding me. I totally forgot about that - of course, perfumes smell exactly the same on all people. They also smell the same on paper, clothes and furniture. They are a static entity and are never affected by anything except for the chemists at the lab!
    (In case you don't know, I AM kidding, of course).
    I just looked for Deci Dela again yesterday - nope, it's not anywhere to be seen next to the other Nina Ricci's... I saw l'Air du Temp and Premier Jour, and that's about it... Maybe Le Belles de Ricci as well but I never tried that one either... But I am happy with Tocade and don't need another similar scent, so I will postpone my curiousity of comparing them both.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer