Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default What have you tested lately?

I read the SOTD, and so often someone is testing a fragrance for the first time. But nobody writes a review on everything they test--too much literary pressure. But I'm really interested in what you all think! Did shadesofbleu like Bulgari pour Femme? Did LLS ever find the bengay note in Apres L'Ondee? The list is never ending!!! It's like a fragrance 'to be continued', so please continue!!

Just post your from the gut, knee jerk opinions of the last one or two or three frags you've tested, lets have a fragrance nosetobrain storm!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Ladylonestar

Default Re: What have you tested lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Did LLS ever find the bengay note in Apres L'Ondee?
    No, I didn't. However, I didn't have BenGay on hand to compare so I was going by memory of BenGay. I did find something interesting, however, lurking under the gorgeous violets -- and I wonder if this is what you may be talking about -- and that's a "coolant", something very similar to menthol that actually produces a cool feeling in my nose. The menthol-like aroma, however, is faint and elusive.

I'll have to get back with you on what I've sampled lately. :-/

Even though it was a thread on the other side, I tested Bulgari au vert extreme and thought it was quite a nice green tea frag...however it pales to Mandragore in scent and longevity. Some might say that Mandragore is not a green tea scen, but to me both those frags smell relatively similar and the anise in Mandragore gives it a little bit of a WHAMMY! factor.

Ladylonestar

Oh! I just remembered -- I tested Hypnose this past Saturday. My knee-jerk opinion is... think Dior Addict, Boucheron Trouble, Hypnotic Poison. It's actually not bad at all, but I swear it reminds me so much of Addict.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

A dear friend sent two generous samples to me and I tried them Saturday: Donna Karan Labdanum and Wenge. Wenge is just amazing. Imagine wearing Black Cashmere with a touch of jasmine absolute and you almost have it. Labadanum is good too, but I just can't get this voice out of my head ~ it's chanting "Must have Wenge, must have Wenge" incessantly. Sadly, my wallet is chanting "Enough already, enough already."

The Wenge voice is much louder.

Post Thanks / Like

Wenge.

This is going to be a great thread. There is a voice in my head, and it is saying must have Wenge!

I mean, just for the name. [smiley=huh.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Island by Michael Kors. Sweeeeeet with a watery accord, and feels very young to me. Definitely for 18-20-somethings. There are some perfumes that feel youthful and yet elegant - Coco Mademoiselle - but this isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Oh! I just remembered -- I tested Hypnose this past Saturday. My knee-jerk opinion is... think Dior Addict, Boucheron Trouble, Hypnotic Poison. It's actually not bad at all, but I swear it reminds me so much of Addict.
    Oh, darn. I was hoping it would be something else. None of those are fragrances I like, unfortunately.

Thanks for sharing! I was obsessing about not being able to go and test it - now I'm definitely more relaxed; I'll get to it when I get to it.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!
    I`ve been testing Hypnose quite a lot, lately, but I don`t see much similarity with Addict in it. On me, it dries down to a very sweet, fruity scent. All I can smell in it is passion flower , passion fruit and vanilla! I like sweet scents, but this one is a bit too sweet, even for me (- and too fruity!).
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    I read the SOTD, and so often someone is testing a fragrance for the first time. * But nobody writes a review on everything they test--too much literary pressure. * But I'm really interested in what you all think! * Did shadesofbleu like Bulgari pour Femme? ...
    Yes, I liked it, but I didn't fall in love with it. *I was talking to someone on another perfume board and Bvlgari pour Femme was mentioned (and raved about). *His comments made me very curious to try it, so off to Ebay I went ... *I happened to find a bottle of the EDP (slightly used) for a little over $3! *Bought it unsniffed, of course, for that price! *This is SO not my usual style, I don't really go for strictly floral scents at all. *Surprise! it doesn't scream floral at all, it's really rather sophisticated and a little proper, but NOT stuffy. *I'm not too familar with violet scents, but I think it could be the violet that is giving it a bit of a powder note. *I'm really liking that note and thinking I should explore some more violet scents. *Of course, the powder could be coming more from the heliotrope, one of my favorite floral notes of all time. *Several hours later, I was left with a soft, creamy musky base, still a little powdery and very nice. *(This was the EDP, btw.) *

Will I wear it again? *oh yes! *Did I get a good bargain? *you betcha!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    Hi!
    I`ve been testing Hypnose quite a lot, lately, but I don`t see much similarity with Addict in it. On me, it dries down to a very sweet, fruity scent. All I can smell in it is passion flower , passion fruit and vanilla! I like sweet scents, but this one is a bit too sweet, even for me (- and too fruity!).
    I understand. I haven't dissected Hypnose nor checked published notes but I was giving my "knee-jerk" impressions. While I think it's a very pleasant fragrance, I also think it's a very "familiar" fragrance as well. As Hypnose developed, it became a very "I've smelled this before" fragrance and the familiarity translated to definite bottle images, and those were Addict, Hypnotic Poison and Trouble until finally it became Addict. While the juice may not be identical to Addict, that's what it reminds me of most and I feel a strong Addict influence with the flowery-woody-vanilla. Just my humble knee-jerk opinion, of course.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Received L'Artisan Mure & Musk Extreme as a swap toss-in last week and found it reminiscent of some the homemade berry wines served at our annual winetasting. We're having our next gathering Feb. 18, and I'm looking forward to passing the M&M vial around along with the Ginestet Le Boise and Botrytis. It's fun to incorporate a new dimension to a many-years-old tradition amongst friends.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

I tested Cedre, and, much to my surprise i really liked it. I was reluctant for a long time because I thought that the tuberose and wood notes would clash.. but they don´t. They are very beautifully balanced. I might even buy this one

I tested Carnal Flower and Lys Mediteranee(I'm not sure I spelled that correctly). Didn't really care for either. The carnal flower is a nice tuberose but smells like a soliflore and I'd like more of a bouquet 'featuring' tuberose. I also tested Bouquet Di Violette. A nice soft floral violet fragrance. Smells like a cross between a clean baby and sweet soft violets. I know, that doesn't really tell you what it smells like but it's hard to describe violets.

Hello... Well I have not tested it yet... but I just got Anglomania on eBay and I can't wait for its arrival Will keep you posted on how it goes as I don't see many on here with a lot of information on it...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have quick-sniffed Idole de Lubin and Rosine Rose d'Amour, full tests (with comments) will follow...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I tested the new Opium Eau d'Orient Fleur Impériale a couple of nights ago, and thought it was very similar (pleasantly) to the Fleur de Shanghai from last year. I need to test it again though for a more thorough review... But I like it. I think the Opium summer editions are a lot of fun. There was only one I did not like - the one that had melon notes from a couple of years ago. It was like a dissonance - melon and carnation and pathcouli. I did not like that combination (smelled like melons in the dirt).

Also been trying Dior Homme several times from a sample (running out), and liked it. I think I will get it as a gift to someone soon... I wish the orris notes lasted longer, and that the base was more dry and not so ambery though.

Also - just got Apres l'Ondee from a swap a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I had a sample before, but it was different - a lot cooler. I sense more warmth from this one, and it reminds me a lot of l'Heure Bleue, just not so sweet as l'Heure Bleue is. I prefer Apres l'Ondee. Really like the anise and violet notes together. Sweet and elusive.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

I've been doing a lot of fragrance testing last week (thanks LadyL for the best sample package ever).
    I never had a selection that had this many good ones before, so my list may be a little long. Unfortunately, I extended my wish list considerably with this testing.

I immediately loved Coriandre by Jean Couterier, Theorema by Fendi and Tabac Blond by Caron.
    Theorema is interesting. Luca Turin called it one of only two great italian fragrances. His nose and mine don't agree, but I finally understand why he can call a fragrance 'great'. It has to do not with the propensity of one's nose, but the construction of the fragrance. I could actually see it with this one. The top notes melded together so well it was difficult to pick them apart, and they transitioned so smoothly into the heart note I didn't even know it was happening. Nothing did a tap dance on your nose, nothing called attention to its construction in an arty way. It was just a well-made fragrance from top to bottom. Each section echoed, reinforced and spoke of the other parts without affectation. The best part was I liked the fragrance - a spicy, lightly sweet, lightly gourmand semi-oriental, with an Italian sensibility, which means a little chic and breezy (though it sounds like many different fragrances if you read the reviews).
    Coriandre is a floral chypre though I pick up a lot of green in it. Complex, compulsively sniffable on my wrist. I have to have a bottle.
    I had to put Tabac Blond on twice and give it time. It finally grabbed me. A good leather fragrance is a glorious thing, unlike any other fragrance, a reason in itself to exist. I always wonder what it is about slightly odd fragrances that are so mesmerizing. I now have to compare it to Daim Blond to see which I'm going to buy a bottle of first :-/
    I also really like Youth Dew Amber Nude. I didn't try this in time for voting for the best fragrance of 2005, as I was put off by the name piggy-backing, but that was a mistake. This one is ambery, sensual and strong.
    I finally got to try 1000 by Jean Patou. Just as classy and classic a floral as I hoped it'd be. It helps to extend my limited repertoire of florals.
    Knowing by Estee Lauder, a floral chypre, is surprisingly wonderful. I'd never heard of this before trying it, but it's on my wishlist now.
    Yohji Essential, a crisp chypre, was also good. It reacted on me as a citrusy fresh floral with a fresh chypre drydown, very natural in the outside air.
    There were more, but these were highlights. Thanks so much, LadyL.

Finally got out of the house after an age and embarked on some sampling ;D
    Sampled and in order of preference, Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, Daim Blond, Jicky (EdT), White Linen, Eau du Soir.

White Linen and Eau du Soir turned rather pungent and acrid and feral on me, after starting off as a beautiful soft, powdery, soapy fragrance reminscent of Alessandro Dell'Acqua, and a potent classic frag, respectively. Bases were not redeemable.

Jicky, I don't quite know what to make of it. Amazing flowers and lavender sparkle first off, then I got some rubber tyres, when that subsided, I was met with a lovely, non-sweet vanilla :-/

Daim Blond was amazing, opening very reminiscent of Timbuktu's opening, all spice and mystery, mid was very nice, couldn't discern what I was smelling, base was lovely, but something strange appeared later on as the drydown faded that wasn't the most pleasant, might've been the leather. Requires another sampling ;D

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil was beautiful! Strong green mangos at the start, intertwined with exotic but not overpowering, uncommon flowers, could smell the water and a distant dreamy land *sighs*. Not the most complex of scents, mangos faded a little to give a floral heart and a nice, soft drydown. Remained fresh during the heat and humidity, all day long. A fantastic summer fragrance, by Jove, I think I've found it! ;D
    Will definitely resample ;D ;D

Temp. was 35C, so effing humid and hot!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I sampled Mona di Orio Nuit Noire this week and fell madly in love!!!

Tried the famous Amber Nude unimpressed and gave the sample quickly away.

T in edp and parfum loved both!!!
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255
    Well I sampled Mona di Orio Nuit Noire this week and fell madly in love!!!

T in edp and parfum loved both!!!
    T as in Takashiyama? That's a great one! Thanks to Safran I have a decant which I treasure...

Donna, where did you run into Nuit Noire? I've never heard of that brand Mona di Orio before.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

I tried KM Peau de Peche last night. It seemed simple to me ; sweet, pure fruit, slightly powdery, with a bit of depth. The odd thing to me was I didn't really get a strong 'this is peach' sense. It seemed a generic, sweet, fruit. I have enough in my sample to give it another little trial, but I'm not expecting too much.

I recently tested the entire lines of lalique and dali and was pleasently surprised! and yeah i got a bunch of those too.. :P so much for saving!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree, WENGE is IT!!!! I just tried it and while some of the others I also have sampled lately did catch my attention, Wenge blew them all away. What a great find!
    Also of note: Hermes: Une Jardin Sur le Nil. Elegant subtle floral. Very much like a garden.
    But that Wenge WOW!!
    kumquat

Post Thanks / Like

Testing HANAE by Keiko Mecheri today.

QUARRY, thanks a lot again, you introduced me to luckyscent.com

I ordered (quite blindly) 5 samples and will be testing them this week.

HANAE is very enjoyable. I did recognise white flowers and the fruits, but no idea how yuzu smells. This scent is sweet but fresh, and dries out to a most delightful musky smth, tho it's not in the description I think I'll return to it once again, for now I'm not sure I'd want to get a full bottle.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Premier Figuier is on today!
    I definitely like the figs, the milky almond and the remaints of lime (very subtle on my skin).
    What I don't like *:-[ is the coconut. Not for me.
    But it's a great scent...for someone else :'( :'( :'(
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Carthusia Io, not my favorite fig. soapy

CK Obsession Night -- OK but not distinguished.

En Passant Frederic Malle. Terrific Spring Fragrance. *Loved it.

24 Faubourg A little old fashioned. Nice for what it is but still old-fashioned. A bit cloying and too intense, almost smells like a Geurlain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just tried;
    Rochas: Femme EdP and Arpege EdP both were so close to Este Lauder:Knowing, but not as good. I can't identify specifics. Does anyone else make that connection?

Chanel: Gardenia, very much like Cartier: So Pretty, but not as pretty. So Pretty is a bit too powdery floral for me anyway. At least it isn't as matronly as the Gardenia. Again, I would like to know the notes they have in common or where they differ. In fact, the So Pretty is like the Chanel but with a soft cool breeze passing through.

Paloma Picasso: Just didn't ring a bell for me. It is a bit like a male fragrace soap. Slightly green (piney?) and not for me.
    It dries more oriental spicy but still too much, I don't know--juniper?

My fave is Lalique EdT. It is very pretty. and reminds me of an old Coty. Does anyone remember Imprevu? (There should be an accent on the E but I don't have the skills yet). Anyway it is quite enjoyable. Floral Chypre (I think). I looked it up and there are 3 different Laliques. I don't know which one this is. It just says Eau de Lalique. It is in a teal blue box, red/orange trim, floral frosted glass bottle with half-moon top. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there! I've just received some samples from Aus Liebe der Duft
    and am loving "Loukhoum" by Keiko Mecheri. It's a very addictive and
    smells of cherry almond mixed with exotic blossoms and woods. I think
    this is my new favourite scent - will definitely order a full bottle. Also
    in the samples was Mandorlo di Sicilia - again I love the creamy, almond notes
    and this is very relaxing and comforting to wear.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Ghe-Ohd! Tested SL Rose de Nuit!!! Wrote a review. I still have half a sample vial to slip into someone's envelope.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

I just applied a little rollerball sample of Allure Sensuelle I got from Gloss. So far the patchouli is choking me. Wow! This is strong stuff. It has hints of something powdery and floral, but the patchouli isn't letting it out yet. I'm not getting the marvelous vanilla of Allure yet.